PDA

View Full Version : M- Blue brake calipers, PT. II doityourself

rikdee
10-25-2012, 04:12 AM
An exhaustive internet search has been unable to verify the paint color as Monte Carlo blue. Seems BMW is keeping the wraps on this one. At the same time, I researched caliper paint kits concluding the products offered by G2 to be high quality and their kits well sorted.
G2 offers kits in 11 stock colors plus, for 2x the price of a stock kit, they will mix custom colors to any automotive paint provided the customer furnishes the manufacturer’s paint code. Additionally, G2 will send, free of charge, sample swatches of their stock colors. I received a blue swatch last week.
My first impression, when comparing to internet and magazine photos, was the blue is too dark. But, yesterday I drove down to Germain BMW in Naples in hopes of finding on the lot a 2013 M-car.
Parked right in front of the showroom was a 2013 F10 M5 festooned with the new blue calipers. So, with swatch in hand, I proceeded with a real world comparo. As parked, one side of the M5 was in bright sunlight, the other shaded. I held the swatch to all four corners and much to my surprise, and to an amazing degree, the color match was so close that I can only describe the difference as merely intellectual. Stated differently, if BMW-M were to secretly give me the paint code, would I spring 2x the price for a custom matched kit – absolutely not!
So, I will soon order a G2 kit in standard blue and do the project once the relentless grip of tropical summer releases SWFL. The blue should contrast nicely with my Silver Grey paint. Kits are available through a Mafia member (Smilez) website: www.brakeyourself.com

~Rick

MiniD
10-25-2012, 04:38 AM
I can't wait to see this!

ryankokesh
10-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Me either! Can't decide what color to do mine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
10-25-2012, 05:37 AM

Much like this

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
10-25-2012, 06:29 AM
what a hack paint job... psh.

UdubBadger
10-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Obvi

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

BimmerWill
10-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I did mine not too long ago with a standard can of caliper paint I picked up at advance. The color was close enough for me as I knew it would darken down with brake dust. They do need another coat however. Been on the calipers for close to two years id imagine. I think its a nice touch not too outlandish or anything. It does look good on silver.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ryankokesh
10-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Not sure if I can pull off blue with IR

UdubBadger
10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Not likely

The artist in me would say go with a warm color though.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
10-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Red you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
10-27-2012, 06:27 AM
No I said warm my necessarily red. Warm is basically anywhere from yellow-green to redish purple on a color wheel. My pick would be a golden yellow like a pencil but I know they don't sell that in a can.

Yellow or orange would likely be the best but see what you can find. Gloss black wouldn't be horrible either

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile