PDA

View Full Version : VANOS Rattle Kit Install Question

edlvrt
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I plan on tackling my VANOS seals this weekend, assuming the thew VCG comes in the mail tomorrow. Reading over the instructions for the rattle kit, it says I need to use an impact wrench to open her up. Is this really necessary, or has anyone been able to get by with a regular wrench?

I don't own an impact wrench but will get one if it is really necessary. Any favorite brands that won't break the bank if I do need one?

Thanks

Ed

zj96sc
10-25-2012, 07:15 PM
The reason you need to use an impact is because you have no way to apply counteractive torque in a way that'd let you use a gradual application of force (ie wrench). What you're holding is a machined smooth piston.

The impact along with the piston clamped in a vice gives you sharp enough impulses countered by inertia and clamping force from the jaw liners to get it crack loose.

Long story short, yes, an impact is 100% required. Get the electric one from harbor freight.

Paul

edit: its on sale for $49: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drivers/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

BimmerWill
10-25-2012, 07:17 PM
I personally didn't do the anti-rattle kit when I replaced my vanos seals. I would imagine if it is necessary however you can pick one up at a harbor freight for a relatively reasonable price and if you wont be using it very much it should be just fine for an occasional use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/impact-wrenches.html

BimmerWill
10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
The reason you need to use an impact is because you have no way to apply counteractive torque in a way that'd let you use a gradual application of force (ie wrench). What you're holding is a machined smooth piston.

The impact along with the piston clamped in a vice gives you sharp enough impulses countered by inertia and clamping force from the jaw liners to get it crack loose.

Long story short, yes, an impact is 100% required. Get the electric one from harbor freight.

Paul

edit: its on sale for $49: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drivers/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

Beat me to it lol whoops..

johnrando
10-25-2012, 08:30 PM
I got the electric one from HF for this very thing... haven't done it yet so no idea if it's strong enough. You have to hit it (the trigger) a few times to get it going.

zj96sc
10-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I've used two different HF electric impacts to do two different VANOS jobs, and yes, it has more than enough ass to the do the job. Things are actually pretty powerful. I actually shattered a non-impact socket with one on a different project - they're no joke.

danewilson77
10-26-2012, 03:29 AM
I've used two different HF electric impacts to do two different VANOS jobs, and yes, it has more than enough ass to the do the job. Things are actually pretty powerful. I actually shattered a non-impact socket with one on a different project - they're no joke.

+1. And just to confirm....you have to use one. I tried smacking a breaker bar and socket, with the soft jaw liners, and you just can't replicate what an impact wrench does.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

edlvrt
10-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Sounds good. Does anyone know if you can buy stuff online from Harbor Freight and pick it up in the store? I am trying to purchase through the Mafia link, but I'd like to pick it up today. No store pickup links pop up at me.

Thanks

edlvrt
11-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Another related question. All the parts came in, but I ordered a few extras in case I messed something up, but I am missing a few of those extras. Does the "Blind Plug" #10 in the diagram, ever get damaged past the point of reuse? I ordered two, but only one came in. Should I wait on the repair until I have them, or is it safe to proceed tomorrow with only one spare?

Thanks

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/h/r/236.png

zj96sc
11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
No, you should be fine. I re-used them both. I think you get new o-rings for it.

danewilson77
11-02-2012, 05:57 PM
No, you should be fine. I re-used them both. I think you get new o-rings for it.

+1

I've never seen one break.

edlvrt
11-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks. I just got started and will report back when she is put back together

edlvrt
11-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Alright, valve cover is off. I went to remove the spark plug well gaskets, and the rubber links between the rings are brittle as hell. Any suggestions on how to remove without having tons of small pieces breaking off and falling into the head? Shop vac while breaking them off?

danewilson77
11-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Can you cover up those area's with some plastic....to prevent anything from getting in the tops of the cylinders?

You could just jam some nice lint free rags in the spark plug wells.

edlvrt
11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
The spark plug wells should be fine, its the head and camshaft valleys I am worried about

danewilson77
11-03-2012, 12:05 PM
OK....

zj96sc
11-03-2012, 02:33 PM
i just grabbed them and broke them off while i had a solid grip around the whole section. dropped 1 or 2 pieces and plucked them out with needlenose and moved on. its not a bottomless pit - just be thorough if any drops down.

edlvrt
11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
All complete! Thanks for the help in this thread and others. Other than being nervous about breaking pieces of the spark plug well gaskets off, everything was straight forward. The rattle kit did not require any adjustments to the washers or rings. I had to run to two different tool stores to pick up a shorter pair of needle nose pliers to remove the two cap plugs. The car has a noticable increase in low and mid rpm power. Now I should be where I can start spending money on suspension mods!

johnrando
11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Great werk!

Vas
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
If you don't mind sharing, whats the total cost that it ran you ? My vanos is going to need work as well.

zj96sc
11-04-2012, 02:01 PM
All complete! Thanks for the help in this thread and others. Other than being nervous about breaking pieces of the spark plug well gaskets off, everything was straight forward. The rattle kit did not require any adjustments to the washers or rings. I had to run to two different tool stores to pick up a shorter pair of needle nose pliers to remove the two cap plugs. The car has a noticable increase in low and mid rpm power. Now I should be where I can start spending money on suspension mods!

I should've told you about that. I too had to pick up a short set of needle nose for those plugs.

If you don't mind sharing, whats the total cost that it ran you ? My vanos is going to need work as well.

It will cost you the price of the seals and rattle kit + jaw liners from beisan ($135): http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html

and the cost of an electric impact and vice if you don't have it

plus the cost of a valve cover gasket, vanos gasket, some RTV, and spark plugs if you tackle those along with.

I'd say you could get out the door for <$250 with spark plugs. A lot more if you break your valve cover in the process..........what?

edlvrt
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Some additional costs were a 24 mm impact socket. It came with a set of other sockets for $20 at Auto Zone
I needed a short pair of needle nose pliers. The only way I could get one short enough was in a set of assorted small pliers for $20 from Pep Boys.