PDA

View Full Version : need brakes - cleaner pad recommendation?

KevinC
10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Topic says it all. Time to get some 135-friendlier pads that don't dirty the wheels quickly. What's out there that accomplishes this without too much tradeoff in performance?

M0nk3y
10-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Topic says it all. Time to get some 135-friendlier pads that don't dirty the wheels quickly. What's out there that accomplishes this without too much tradeoff in performance?

Catch 22 with that statement.

With a ceramic based pad (low dust) you will sacrifice on initial bite and overall brake grip

Stu
10-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Akebono Ceramics

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0l/Braking/ES2515298/

Probably one of the better brake deals out there if you're looking to do the whole thing

Meyle rotors are good, no complaints from anyone who's bought them so far.

ryankokesh
10-29-2012, 04:55 AM
I've been recommending the pads Ray on here sells (Smilez). For the price, I've been pretty happy with them and have been a repeat customer. Like others have said, you're not going to get quite the same bite, but to me the lack of brake dust everywhere is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BimmerWill
10-29-2012, 06:13 AM
I've been recommending the pads Ray on here sells (Smilez). For the price, I've been pretty happy with them and have been a repeat customer. Like others have said, you're not going to get quite the same bite, but to me the lack of brake dust everywhere is worth it.

+1
I got a set of pads and cross drilled/slotted rotors from ray last year. Was a great deal and both have held up great. Defenite stopping power and the pads create a significant drop in the amount of brake dust from the oem pads.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

nk_zhp
10-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Big kudos to Textar CeramicFusion, which I believe is now called ePad by Textar. For the 1st time since I can remember I have to wash the car because of the dirt on the car and not the dirt on the wheels. The stopping power is in fact better than the OEM Jurids, even during auto-x they held up great. The stopping power at any temp seems very consistent and they are very easy to modulate which I think is the best attribute of the pad. Not too grabby.

I highly recommend.

PHZ
10-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I have been told that aftermarket brakes may not have the dust, but that will squeal after time..... D the ones recommended here wall into that category?

nk_zhp
10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
The only times Textars squeal is when I first wash the car and the orange resedue forms on the rotors. Never under normal operation.

ryankokesh
10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
No squealing here.

Smilez
10-29-2012, 10:08 AM
It's always a chose your poison when it comes to Brake Pads.

Great performance, HIGH dust, high squeal (hawk hps)
Good perfoamance, medium dust (stoptech pads)
Low Dust, less bite (ceramic pads)

I usually run stoptech pads, wish they produced less dust.

UdubBadger
10-29-2012, 10:37 AM
cool carbons are my 1st choice for good bite and less dust.

akebonos are also great but i dont think they bite as much.

UdubBadger
10-29-2012, 10:39 AM
No squealing here.

thats not what Patty tells me :rofl

Washburn
10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Best solution for ME would be to switch to style 264 wheels from the ulgy ass 135 wheels and stay with OEM stuff...
I'd rather have dust and better bite than less bite and less dust - right now I have factory brakes and yes the wheels are dirty but I hate our stock wheels style so much I don't worry about how they look. Cleaning them is a nightmare and the looks are not worth the effort.

I am REALLY set on getting some 5-spoke style 264s and sell the 135 wheels. (will have to wait a bit before doing this, though)
That way i'd still have the OEM bite AND have cleaner better looking wheels, as they're simple and classy.

das boots
10-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Zeckhausen. I purchased from them for the 5er. No dust, no squeal. I have to re-seat again since I did not seat properly the first time.

M0nk3y
10-29-2012, 12:02 PM

You forgot one Smilez.

Awesome Performance, HOLY Dust, wanna wear ear plug squeal (hawk HP+)

:)

BimmerWill
10-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Smiles hooked me up with the stoptech pads. Great pad all around they do produce dust but not as much as oem. Ill be ordering another set when these get worn out ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
10-29-2012, 07:37 PM
There's also a thread in the Brakes section discussing this with even MORE opinions. :)

Smilez
10-30-2012, 04:42 AM
really appreciate it :D