PDA

View Full Version : BMW Performance Exhuast

JimN9NE
11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Does anyone have this exhaust on their zhp? how does it compare to the stock zhp muffler? Dinan?

ryankokesh
11-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I've never known someone to have it. Come to think of it, I didn't know a performance exhaust existed!

danewilson77
11-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Question: Wait, I thought the BMW Performance exhaust system and the BMW Performance Package (ZHP) exhaust system were one and the same. They're not?
Answer: they are not. You can see pictures of them below. What's more, they have different part numbers, too. The ZHP exhaust system is part number 18-10-7-919-236 (18107919236) while the BMW Performance system is identified by BMW part number 18-10-0-429-614 (18100429614). As you can see from the pictures, the BMW Performance system is comprised of a muffler and exhaust pipes (we call these two parts the rear section). Clamps are also included, so that you can connect the BMW Performance rear section to the factory mid section.

Stock ZHP exhaust:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/zhpexhaust-1.jpg

BMW Performance exhaust:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/bmwperformanceexhaust-1.jpg

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

JimN9NE
11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I know they are two different exhausts but i was wondering if its worth getting since i already have the zhp exhuast. Looking for a slightly deeper tone, nothing drastic. Looking into Dinan as well.

BCS_ZHP
11-01-2012, 06:36 PM
So you have to ask yourself if you want to alter your OEM ZHP exhaust. Both the BMW Performance and Dinan are for the rear section only, i.e., the muffler. This will require you to cut your existing exhaust system, a one-piece system from just after the exhaust manifolds, and then add the new rear section.

Having heard and seen both a BMW Performance & a Dinan on a ZHP, the change in sound is minimal and the additional performance would be minor. A better way to really change the sound and performance is to change the whole exhaust system. Your options are UUC, AFE, Magnaflow, SuperSprint, and probably some others. But a whole catback exhaust system raises you to the 4 digit price level and then its a personal choice of how loud to you want it because they all have varying levels of increased sound/noise when compared to a stock ZHP exhaust system. There's a thread around here somewhere with several video clips of the various aftermarket exhaust systems available.

JimN9NE
11-01-2012, 06:44 PM
ya i dont have a problem altering the exhuast, but i have narrowed my search for exhausts to BMW PE and Dinan due to sounds off youtube, and the fact that they are practical for daily drivers. But Since you have heard both on ZHP, which one would you prefer and why? which is louder? are they really similar to the zhp sound?

i.e. i am more interested in the actual sound, performance gains are nice but not a huge issue here

JupiterBMW
11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Well, I just ordered the Dinan, so as soon as I get it I will be posting a full review, along with before and after driving/sound clips.

But other than that, I can't offer any help. Sorry man!

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S... :shifty

BCS_ZHP
11-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I had the Dinan on my 325 touring, it made that car sound like a stock ZHP exhaust. Also heard it on a ZHP and I couldn't tell the difference at idle, the owner said it was a bit more throaty when you got the car up to higher RPMs but not so much as to drone. The ZHP Performance on a ZHP, same thing, I drove one once and didn't notice much difference at idle but it came alive above 4K RPM and highway speeds were comfortable with no drone.

On performance gains via the exhaust, you're not going to see too much. Our stock exhaust system has the catalytic converters built into the stock exhaust manifolds. To see noticeable performance gains you need to remove those stock manifolds, replace them with headers, add catalytic converters downstream of the headers, and then the rest of your exhaust. However, you'll get into the multiple thousands of dollars if you were to take this approach and do it correctly so it'd still pass CA emissions testing.

HokieZHP
11-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Someone has one on their ZHP. I remember seeing it at SigFest. Can't remember who it was though. THey said it was slightly louder than ZHP but you have to listen for it to hear it

johnrando
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Norman has it on his. I didn't yet read the other posts yet but it's really not that much of a difference than the stock zhp one. Slightly, slightly more rumble but not worth the price, unless you get it really cheap, which he did. I like the thicker tips on the Perf Exhaust. I have no idea how it compares to Dinan.

cakM3
11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
BP can also add to this thread. He replaced his stock ZHP exhaust with the UUC Corsa catback and I really like this setup :thumbsup

webster
11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
IMO if you're going to do the exhaust do it right and get a full catback.

all other options are rice/ghetto. then again, i think the OEM ZHP exhaust is just about perfect.

HokieZHP
11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Cough cough magnaflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

328ioc
11-02-2012, 01:28 PM
I know they are two different exhausts but i was wondering if its worth getting since i already have the zhp exhuast. Looking for a slightly deeper tone, nothing drastic. Looking into Dinan as well.

My buddy has it on his zhp and it is a little deeper but honestly not that much louder.

There is a difference but its very hard to notice. Based on the price I would say its not worth it especially when the Magnaflow is 200 bucks cheaper and is a full cat-back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jayjay_dee
11-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Someone has one on their ZHP. I remember seeing it at SigFest. Can't remember who it was though. THey said it was slightly louder than ZHP but you have to listen for it to hear it

It was probably mine...

There is a difference in sound, its a bit more throatier compared to the stock exhaust... If you are getting it cheap, get it, but if you are paying full price, i would say you would be disappointed... I got mine below $200...

330i ZHP
11-06-2012, 07:01 AM
I HIGHLY recommend the Rogue Engineering Ikon with the later version rolled stainless tips

REALLY well made - great sound and very low cost compared to others

sadly I just sold and shipped a nearly new one for $350