PDA

View Full Version : Dry vs. Oiled

ryankokesh
11-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Does anyone know the performance/flow difference between the aFe dry and oiled filters? On their site they use different scales so you can't tell the actual difference in flow... :dunno

Oiled:
http://afepower.com/images/diesel_pro5r_close.jpg

Dry:
http://afepower.com/images/diesel_prodrys_close.jpg

328ioc
11-06-2012, 05:44 PM
I believe the oiled will filter better but flow less.

And Dry doesn't filter quite as well but flows better.

I am by no means an expert though so some one feel free to correct me.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

UdubBadger
11-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Ry - I should slap you. I told you oiled this morning.

JKO_ZHP
11-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I believe the oiled will filter better but flow less.

And Dry doesn't filter quite as well but flows better.

I am by no means an expert though so some one feel free to correct me.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That's what I've heard and seen as stated by K&N and also aFe.
Guess it comes down to, do you want your engine to breathe healthier or have a higher HP gain and louder noise?

UdubBadger
11-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I've only owned oiled filters, never even had a bad MAF let alone any other issues.

Washburn
11-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I've only owned oiled filters, never even had a bad MAF let alone any other issues.

That makes me feel better..I have some type of oiled Dinan filter/airbox, and I have always been worried about a ruined MAF...
I have no idea how often those things should be oiled...the car has 36k now, and I have a feeling the PO put it on when the car had ~ 8k miles or so, but may not have oiled it again...

ryankokesh
11-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Ry - I should slap you. I told you oiled this morning.

Yeah, you should. Not to imply I don't trust you or you don't know what you're talking about, but Dane endorses the dry variety, and he kinda knows his stuff.

HokieZHP
11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Oiled is nice you just have to be sure not to over-oil it when you clean it because that's when issues tend to arise. If you care for it properly, you shouldn't have any issues.

UdubBadger
11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
^ exactly

you should clean it AT LEAST once a year. Wash, hang dry, lightly oil.

gr330zhp
11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Oiled I believe is better for performance, though, I only have dry aFe filters in both the E46 and E38.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

Hornung418
11-06-2012, 07:05 PM
With a BMW Hot Wire MAF Sensor it is important to avoid oiled filters. When the oil fouls the MAF you'll get issues. Stay dry, stay CEL free.

UdubBadger
11-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Right but the oil doesn't ALWAYS foul the MAF. It CAN, but it doesn't always happen. I have a total of over 100k on oiled filters, never any issues.

Johal E32
11-06-2012, 07:14 PM
My vote goes to the dry filter. I'd rather play it safe and keep my MAF in good shape..

zj96sc
11-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I've had two ZHPs, each with K&N oiled filters, each with MAF CELs, each fixed permanently by going back to paper.

Oiled filters are garbage. Paper is the way to go. Fight flow with surface area.

danewilson77
11-06-2012, 07:16 PM
I believe the oiled filters can leave residue on the MAF sensor wire....which can lead to bullshit lean codes, etc. I had oiled and swapped over to dry for that reason only. I clean it when I change my oil.

gr330zhp
11-06-2012, 07:28 PM
My oiled filter that i had on my Audi ruined my MAF sensor, from then on, never did oiled again

Sent from my iPhone 5.

JKO_ZHP
11-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Forgot where I read this but a post said ideally, oiled is ok but the problem that many people get once having them in is due to the manufacturer using too much oil on the filter prior to shipping. Someone had an oiled drop-in replacement K&N one, had issues with the MAF, cleaned it, re-used it (K&Ns are washable/reusable) and had no problems. The oil probably got washed off so it was basically like a dry filter.

Even then, I thought oiled = less pollutants get past but also less air = less HP gains.
And dry = more pollutants get past but more air flow = higher HP gains and louder but decreases engine life.
Can anyone confirm or refute this? I'm not sure.

Washburn
11-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Well in my case, IF the oiled filter is going to ruin my MAF, wouldn't it have done that already at 36k? ...
I am not arguing -honestly asking...
IFI really get convinced that it will ruin my MAF I will change to the OEM dry again, but I am trying to decide whether I should do it now before I actually see any proof, or just wait till my next 'oiling' and THEN change to dry IF i get any CELs?

Washburn
11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
^ exactly
you should clean it AT LEAST once a year. Wash, hang dry, lightly oil.

Thanks...I guess I will ask my indie place when I go there next time...

zj96sc
11-06-2012, 08:09 PM
The diesel community doesn't run oiled because they don't filter well enough for those tolerances. Nothing filters as well as paper, period. We fight the flow rate of paper by adding more surface area like I mentioned earlier.

I am not sure what afe uses as media in their dry elements but with the largely optimized e46 intake design in particular I'll sacrifice those 3 real world horsepower for superior paper filtration.

bimmeryota
11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
My vote is dry! Too difficult in my experience to oil to the proper level. Had 3 MAF and hot wire sensors go bad on 3 different vehicles.

alexandre
11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Go dry go

Vas
11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
One of the best filters out there in the aftermarket world is dry. That filter is the Apexi cone filter.

I say go with a dry air filter. Less headaches and possible issues that might arrise.

BimmerWill
11-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Had bad experiences with oiled filters. Went with a K&N drop in last year and was having to clean my maf at least once a week due to the oil getting on the sensor causing CEL's. Currently have a dry stock filter. Maybe one day ill upgrade to afe but ill steer clear of oiled filters from now on. Too much headache.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2