PDA

View Full Version : Spring compressor on strut

Pip
11-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Alright so I'm beyond frustrated. I spent the past three hours trying to come up with a genius way to make these compressors work. I was able to compress the spring and her it off the strut but I am unable to get the spring back on the strut because if I put the compressors 180' apart they end up interfering with the top hat or strut bottom. If I put them closer to each other it won't compress the far side of the spring and won't allow me to get the top hat nut on. Overall this sucks. My last thought was to get a second set of compressors and try to compress the far side of the spring but it might not work because I wouldn't be spanning a coil I'd just be pulling two adjacent coils closer. I realize this picture doesn't show the spring compressed. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
11-09-2012, 07:32 PM
That is something I have absolutely no experience with... :(

nk_zhp
11-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Don't sweat it man!

Begin compressing the sprint loose, out of the struct assembly. Compress it just enough that would be the right height for you to be able to assemble the hat. Then use a set of copper electric wires to tie the spring in that position. Use plenty of them to make sure they will actually hold the spring in the position when you remove the compressor. Now remove the compressor and the wires should hold the spring in the compressed size. Assemble everything and slowly begin to cut the wires so that the spring expands back into an already assembled strut/hat.

Makes sense?

Pip
11-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I'll see if I can get that to work tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip.

Nomar06
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I remember having a tough time with them also. If I remember correctly they were not 100% 180 to one another and 1 of the 2 spring compressor "things" was at its limits(both blocks touching each other). I just looked to see if I had any pics of the springs compressed but I do not have any. Still somehow managed to get it done....not sure if it's any different but I used Eibach springs.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/Nomar006/CIMG3808.jpg

Pip
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Rented a second spring compressor to get the job done. Prob didn't need it but it helped a bit.

I had to call a friend to stand on the hub for the rears because my gf wasn't heavy enough...win?

Pics in a minute. Might have to get rid of the spacers but I'll have to wait to find out.

Pip
11-10-2012, 02:20 PM

danewilson77
11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
:drool

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

BimmerWill
11-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Rented a second spring compressor to get the job done. Prob didn't need it but it helped a bit.

I had to call a friend to stand on the hub for the rears because my gf wasn't heavy enough...win?

Pics in a minute. Might have to get rid of the spacers but I'll have to wait to find out.

Looks great man.
If you decide you may want to get rid of the spacers let me know I might be interested :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2