PDA

View Full Version : Key fob battery replacement.

BimmerWill
11-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Has anyone done a battery replacement on their key? Mines showing the classic symptoms of being on its way out and would prefer not to have to pay $170 for a new one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

telijah
11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Since I cannot find anything more you are asking for in this thread: Yes, I have :)

Now, to simply add some info, I offer this:

- Take your time separating the key halves. Mine got a bit chewed up in the process, but I was also drunker than hell
- Make sure you get the rechargeable kind of battery replacement... Apparently there are rechargeable ones and non-rechargeable ones...
- As long as you're OK with soldering, there is nothing else to really worry about :)

BimmerWill
11-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Since I cannot find anything more you are asking for in this thread: Yes, I have :)

Now, to simply add some info, I offer this:

- Take your time separating the key halves. Mine got a bit chewed up in the process, but I was also drunker than hell
- Make sure you get the rechargeable kind of battery replacement... Apparently there are rechargeable ones and non-rechargeable ones...
- As long as you're OK with soldering, there is nothing else to really worry about :)

Thanks for the quick response. Ive been debating on doing this for the past couple days but was concerned about messing up my one and only key and having to go to the dealer with tail between my legs.

Others have said the key replacement can be found online at mouser.com

Some have stated that you need two keys in order to program the one you replaced the battery in, is this true?

Also my dad says there's a locksmith in town that says he can make keys for our cars...im a little skeptical of this considering just about everything I've read has listed this or the dealer as the only two options available to us.

Edit:
Here is what ive been able to find on mouser as far as the battery it lists two different batteries. One having the leads in a vertical orientation while the other being in a horizontal orientation. Im not sure which one I would need as I haven't disassembled my key fob yet. Any thoughts as to which one would be more suited? Most people who have done this say that the tabs have to be bent so I want to make sure I get the one most suited for my purpose.

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=panasonic+VL2020+3v

Thanks again for the help

cakM3
11-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Here's the DIY guys :thumbsup

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315311 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315311)

I'll be doing this to both my "dead" spares (///M & ZHP) soon

Once you replace the battery remember to do the following afterwards:

HOW PROGRAM THE REMOTE ( RE-INITIATE)

-you must follow and do all the following steps quickly but do it right.

1. Put the key in ignition switch it ON then OFF and quickly remove it.

2. Hold DOWN the UN-LOCK Button, then Press the LOCK Button 3 times.

3. Release the UN-Lock button, your door now should signal

4. Put the key back in the ignition switch it ON then OFF to finalize.

BimmerWill
11-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank charlie!
My issue is this is my only key so i cant afford to mess it up lol literally

cakM3
11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I hear you on this! :thumbsup This is why I found this DIY to share with everyone interested in replacing only the battery. I have two dead keys I need to do. I did the square key > diamond key retrofit when I had my 323i and thought that was pretty cool.

This is the DIY I used: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537&highlight=diamond+key (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537&highlight=diamond+key)

It is much more indepth than just replacing the battery in our diamond keys. This shouldn't be too hard...:thumbsup

BimmerWill
11-14-2012, 05:40 PM
I hear you on this! :thumbsup This is why I found this DIY to share with everyone interested in replacing only the battery. I have two dead keys I need to do. I did the square key > diamond key retrofit when I had my 323i and thought that was pretty cool.

This is the DIY I used: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537&highlight=diamond+key (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537&highlight=diamond+key)

It is much more indepth than just replacing the battery in our diamond keys. This shouldn't be too hard...:thumbsup

Thanks for the additional info!

Im hoping the battery is my only issue. None of the buttons will work but if I shake it around and rap it with my hand it will unlock/lock. Im betting on the battery and not something to do with the circuit board...

cakM3
11-14-2012, 06:24 PM
It takes alot to mess up that board or water....most likely your issue will probably be the battery. Regarding my two dead keys, I'm betting that's all it is. Everything else works so once I have the new battery installed I can charge the key and it should be good to go :thumbsup

BimmerWill
11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
It takes alot to mess up that board or water....most likely your issue will probably be the battery. Regarding my two dead keys, I'm betting that's all it is. Everything else works so once I have the new battery installed I can charge the key and it should be good to go :thumbsup

Yeah id be willing to bet dead battery is your problem if they didn't get used enough in order to keep a charge on them...guess I used mine too much ;)

My unlock button doesn't click anymore either im hoping I can rectify that when I pop it open...hoping something is just not quite lined up correctly.

WOLFN8TR
11-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I replaced my battery in my only remote. I didn't even solder the connections and it works great a year later. It was my only key, no reprogramming issues either.

BimmerWill
11-14-2012, 11:09 PM
I replaced my battery in my only remote. I didn't even solder the connections and it works great a year later. It was my only key, no reprogramming issues either.

That's great to hear. Im on the fence about resoldering mine back.

WOLFN8TR
11-15-2012, 08:30 AM
It's such a tight fit there was really no need to. Getting those off the old battery was fun.

BimmerWill
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
It's such a tight fit there was really no need to. Getting those off the old battery was fun.

What did you do with connections on the new battery did you just remove them?

WOLFN8TR
11-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Basically once you get them off ( hopefully without breaking them ) put the new battery in place, run some Super Glue around one side then press the two pieces together. I used a thick rubber band and wrapped it around the keyfob several times the. Let it dry for an hour. Next just silicone the remaining seam. I found some black silicone at Lowes.

I originally used plumbers goop but it did not secure it good enough. The two sides would move when pushing the button.

I will see if I still have the links for info on this.

BimmerWill
11-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Basically once you get them off ( hopefully without breaking them ) put the new battery in place, run some Super Glue around one side then press the two pieces together. I used a thick rubber band and wrapped it around the keyfob several times the. Let it dry for an hour. Next just silicone the remaining seam. I found some black silicone at Lowes.

I originally used plumbers goop but it did not secure it good enough. The two sides would move when pushing the button.

I will see if I still have the links for info on this.

The new battery did you just remove the terminals that are attached to it when you order it?

WOLFN8TR
11-15-2012, 04:48 PM
The original battery is Soldered on real good. It was a Beouch getting the terminals off mine without messing them up.

Also I would put it back together and rubber band it, test it out then go back and glue it together.

Here are the links...

Diamond Key Battery Replacement (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315311)

BMW 3 Series Battery Replacement & Programming. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrxuUrnYSI)

BimmerWill
11-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Awesome Thanks.
I ordered it tonight. Hopefully get this issue settled by mid next week!

WOLFN8TR
11-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Your Welcome...

BimmerWill
11-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Got the new battery in and resynced the key. Good as new..used some permatex silicone as well as superglue to seal it. Hoping that will hold and seal adequately.

WOLFN8TR
11-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Sweet! That's how I sealed my keyfob. Been all good for a year now.

BimmerWill
11-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Sweet! That's how I sealed my keyfob. Been all good for a year now.

What's funny is the little roundel on the fob decided to come off tonight. Fixed another problem with some super glue :)

WOLFN8TR
11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Glue is the Best!

Torxuvin
12-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I need to add this to my "to do" list for my dead spare.

BimmerWill
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I need to add this to my "to do" list for my dead spare.

Really is a piece of cake just be sure to follow a DIY it makes it much easier to be sure you get everything back correctly.

Torxuvin
12-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Really is a piece of cake just be sure to follow a DIY it makes it much easier to be sure you get everything back correctly.

Will do. DIY ftw. Now if I could just get tasks crossed off faster than I add new ones...