PDA

View Full Version : Factory HID's flickering

BimmerWill
11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
This has been an ongoing issue for close to a year but its never been consistent so I've just tried to leave it be until now.

Initially I noticed that one of my lights would flicker when going over a strong bump or sometimes when accelerating hard around a corner. It's always only been one light and never both. Usually it will flicker on and off very quickly but then be fine. On occasion it would go off completely and I would get a bulb out warning. So id simply turn them off and right back on no problem and usually wouldn't have further incident the rest of the drive.

Here lately however its become almost a constant issue even when driving over smooth roads it will flicker or go out altogether. On my way home from dinner tonight I had to switch my lights on and off four times within a fifteen minute drive.

From the info I've gathered its more than likely a lcm on its way out in the headlight or ballast (not sure if these are the same or not).

Either way im betting on those being an expensive part.

Id like to check the grounds and connections but not sure where exactly the lights are grounded.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can locate this issue id greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Johnmadd
11-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Bad ground probably loose

BimmerWill
11-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Bad ground probably loose

Is the ground part of the harness or is it mounted on the body/frame somewhere?

Johnmadd
11-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Both...

Johnmadd
11-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Ground is the negative cable, it needs to be solidly connected to the body (ground).

nike001
11-16-2012, 07:41 PM
LCM going out? Ah I hope not. The LCM is the knob you use to control your lights inside the cabin.

I've been having the same problem. I rigged up a ZKW ballast to my AL's and haven't experienced it since. I'd like to get it fixed so I don't have this ballast bouncing around and so I can have my bi-xenon capabilities back.

I'm interested as to see where the grounds are..?

Johnmadd
11-16-2012, 07:45 PM
You can just add a wire from the neg terminal of anything to any metal bolt/nut for ground.

nike001
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Well I know for a fact that there is more than one ground wire for the entire car...

Johnmadd
11-16-2012, 08:01 PM
You can add a separate ground for every accessory if you wanted.

BimmerWill
11-17-2012, 07:14 AM
You can just add a wire from the neg terminal of anything to any metal bolt/nut for ground.

So I guess best solution would be to figure out where the ground is that plugs into the ballast or module for that headlight and mount a ground wire to it and see if that fixes my problem..

az3579
11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Just FYI, I have a friend with a 2001 330xi that is having the same problem. One light flickers occasionally. I put in my spare LCM for them and the flickering hasn't come back since, so they're ordering a replacement LCM.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

nike001
11-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Just FYI, I have a friend with a 2001 330xi that is having the same problem. One light flickers occasionally. I put in my spare LCM for them and the flickering hasn't come back since, so they're ordering a replacement LCM.

Sheeeeeet. How much are those? A couple hundred I'd suppose aye?

BimmerWill
11-17-2012, 04:45 PM

So the lcm is the light switch on the dash? Or is that something else?

BimmerWill
11-17-2012, 06:46 PM

From what I found online when those begin to go out the lights flicker at the same time is that incorrect?

Id hate to have to drop a couple hundred bucks again. Im just now recovering from all the other maintenance I've had to do lately. If the lcm is the culprit I suppose I should start saving my pennies...

Im just not sure how to diagnose the issue which is what bugs me. I fiddled around with the wiring today and tried to get it to flicker while parked hoping it was just a loose connection but got nothing.

az3579
11-17-2012, 07:03 PM
So the lcm is the light switch on the dash? Or is that something else?

Yes, the LCM is the Light Control Module. It is the actual module that your light switch connects to (the switch itself is a separable piece from the actual module itself). You may also hear it referred to as the LSZ (German naming for it).

BimmerWill
11-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Yes, the LCM is the Light Control Module. It is the actual module that your light switch connects to (the switch itself is a separable piece from the actual module itself). You may also hear it referred to as the LSZ (German naming for it).

Is there anyway to determine if it is the culprit to my problems without simply buying another module?

az3579
11-17-2012, 07:21 PM
You'd have to diagnose the issue of course. Checking the grounds would be my first bet. Then, swap ballasts if affecting only one side just to make sure. If grounds and ballasts check out, I think the LCM would be the next bet. I'm not sure if the ignitor would be a suspect.

BimmerWill
11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
You'd have to diagnose the issue of course. Checking the grounds would be my first bet. Then, swap ballasts if affecting only one side just to make sure. If grounds and ballasts check out, I think the LCM would be the next bet. I'm not sure if the ignitor would be a suspect.

Im completely at a loss as to where the ballasts and grounds are, guess I have some researching to do.

az3579
11-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Im completely at a loss as to where the ballasts and grounds are, guess I have some researching to do.

The ballasts are underneath the headlight assembly if I remember correctly. They attach to it, so getting to them is a PITA if you have cold weather package (those stupid nozzle covers and nozzles leak all over the friggin' place).

If you don't want to go thru the hassle, I can send you my spare LCM when my friend is done and ordered up to help you diagnose (though it might take me a while to make it to the post office on time). Be warned though; if you have a pre-facelift (which it looks like you do, 2001) then the rear running lights will be extra dim. The brake lights and turn signals will work fine, but the running lights will be almost non-visible at night, so I wouldn't recommend driving at night with my LCM in place. The reason for this is that there are differences in the functionality of the rear tail lights between pre- and facelift models. The front headlights and turn signals will work perfectly.
My LCM is from my car, a 2005.

BimmerWill
11-18-2012, 07:25 AM
The ballasts are underneath the headlight assembly if I remember correctly. They attach to it, so getting to them is a PITA if you have cold weather package (those stupid nozzle covers and nozzles leak all over the friggin' place).

If you don't want to go thru the hassle, I can send you my spare LCM when my friend is done and ordered up to help you diagnose (though it might take me a while to make it to the post office on time). Be warned though; if you have a pre-facelift (which it looks like you do, 2001) then the rear running lights will be extra dim. The brake lights and turn signals will work fine, but the running lights will be almost non-visible at night, so I wouldn't recommend driving at night with my LCM in place. The reason for this is that there are differences in the functionality of the rear tail lights between pre- and facelift models. The front headlights and turn signals will work perfectly.
My LCM is from my car, a 2005.

That would be a great help. Would it be easier to remove the headlight itself in order to get to the ballasts?

az3579
11-18-2012, 07:29 AM
That would be a great help. Would it be easier to remove the headlight itself in order to get to the ballasts?

Not easier, it's a requirement! lol
The ballasts are attached to the headlight housing on the bottom of it.

BimmerWill
11-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Not easier, it's a requirement! lol
The ballasts are attached to the headlight housing on the bottom of it.

Ah okay Gotcha. Im dreading this one lol

BimmerWill
11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Good news.

Finally got around to checking things out. Turns out my passenger bulb has been leaking gas starting to go out. It had some discoloration in the center ball of the bulb. So to double check I switched bulbs to the other side. Driver side flickers and goes out now.
Ordering another set tonight!

Sorry for the trouble that should have been the first thing I checked but since they'd been in there less than 2 years I assumed they were good. Guess that's what I get for assuming ;)

danewilson77
11-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Win.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Vas
11-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I was going to say a flickering hid bulb majority of the time means that its on its way out.