PDA

View Full Version : Automatic to Manual transmission swap

JimN9NE
11-18-2012, 02:25 PM
i bought my auto zhp last summer and has been a joy to drive, but i am ready for a manual. I drove my friends 323i and i regret not searching harder for a stick. Anyway does anyone have experience doing this swap? cheaper to swap? cheaper to sell and buy a manual? issues with swap?

toddness
11-18-2012, 07:01 PM
I would think trading (sell/buy) would be the better choice.

Having parted out a bunch of e30's this summer and selling parts for people to do a swap on that model, I can't imagine the e46 being any easier and with any fewer dependencies. Just getting the pedal assembly removed from an e30 is a huge PITA even when the engine, tranny dash and carpet have already been removed. The time and energy of sourcing parts and the cost thereof just doesn't sound practical to me. If you aren't going to DIY, I have to believe it's going to cost you a pretty penny to have it done, and if you are going to DIY, do you have a shop and the ability to be without your ZHP during the conversion? Can't imagine it being finished in a weekend.

If you do it, document it and post pics :)

Hermes
11-18-2012, 08:24 PM
it's been done, Smolck did it at least on his old car. I would pm him

Personally, sell current car/buy mt is my recommendation of route that you should look into assuming you have no real tie to this specific car

Vas
11-19-2012, 07:01 AM
It can be done but like the majority said its easier to sell your current car and source a manual

Mike V
11-19-2012, 02:47 PM
+1 for sell/buy, or put up a trade offer on this site. Someone might be tired of their manual trans.

terraphantm
11-20-2012, 11:33 PM
If you're willing to go with a 5-speed, you should be able to get parts pretty cheap. Though I wouldn't feel right swapping a 5-speed into a ZHP lol

Johal E32
11-21-2012, 06:05 PM
If you do the 6 speed swap, slap a 3.46 diff in there out of a 323 5 speed. It will definitely improve the acceleration on the zhp!

The best route is to sell your car and buy another one. Or do a trade with someone.

terraphantm
11-21-2012, 08:47 PM
If you do the 6 speed swap, slap a 3.46 diff in there out of a 323 5 speed. It will definitely improve the acceleration on the zhp!

The best route is to sell your car and buy another one. Or do a trade with someone.

If he has an auto ZHP, he already has a 3.64. Might as well keep that