PDA

View Full Version : My autocross vid from the BMW Performance Center.

Ryans323i
11-23-2012, 07:36 AM
The autocross was held by the Sandlapper Chapter of BMW CCA at the BMW Performance Center on November 18th. It's a 1.2mile mid-speed course. I've done "normal" autocrosses, and this was much different. My fastest time was 1:42:xx on my all season tires. There were 3 ZHPs there and they were running ~1:35:xx on their summer/high performance tires. The fastest time was ~1:25:xx in the 1M by a Performance Center Instructor.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvvxuuEkgu0

zhpnsnv
11-23-2012, 07:57 AM
That was awesome!!!!!!!

M0nk3y
11-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Any raw video straight from your car?

Hard to judge lines and can't hear the tires with the music :(

And BTW - I love that place.

Ryans323i
11-23-2012, 08:44 AM
That was awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks! It was a blast.

Any raw video straight from your car?

Hard to judge lines and can't hear the tires with the music :(

And BTW - I love that place.

I don't have any loaded on the youtubes, but I'll try to get one up. I never really had that "perfect" lap. There were times I'd improve in one area, and "de-prove" in another. I was impressed with my lines, although I know I could have cut them closer. Just didn't want to hit a cone, for my bumper's sake. Not a whole lot of tire squealing, guess I wan't going fast enough. And one final perturbation, before every "gate" I'd hit the rev limiter too soon in 2nd, and too late to shift to 3rd. Never got that sorted out with myself, and I know I lost of a lot of time there. And coming over the hill, I was scared of catching air and losing control.

M0nk3y
11-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't have any loaded on the youtubes, but I'll try to get one up. I never really had that "perfect" lap. There were times I'd improve in one area, and "de-prove" in another. I was impressed with my lines, although I know I could have cut them closer. Just didn't want to hit a cone, for my bumper's sake. Not a whole lot of tire squealing, guess I wan't going fast enough. And one final perturbation, before every "gate" I'd hit the rev limiter too soon in 2nd, and too late to shift to 3rd. Never got that sorted out with myself, and I know I lost of a lot of time there. And coming over the hill, I was scared of catching air and losing control.

Usually on a faster course like that (I've only been on a couple where they were on huge lands like an airport)...but I usually short shifted into 3rd to gain the extra torque in the lower powerband. Food for thought.

There is certainly a lot of elevation changes on that course, I put the 1M sideways on a hill change (although it wasn't the corkscrew) it is very easy to make the car light.

Ryans323i
11-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm loading videos now. Please check back and give me more advice. Be harsh, I can handle it. Sort-a. Technically this was my 3rd autocross. But this course was much like my "driving in Mexico" excursions, though more daring on the course.

Ryans323i
11-23-2012, 09:04 AM
This was my first times run. I lost control in the bottom end. I about did it again later, but put my foot back into the gas and straightened her right back out. So I did learn something that day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qNaUu_6LO8

I can't remember the order of the rest of the videos but here they are, unedited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBGmOvfnYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnapokstX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjaSsExqk8

cakM3
11-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Ry just saw your vid.....so awesome you got to do that!!! All I can say is someday.....with my ///M ;)

Ryans323i
11-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Ry just saw your vid.....so awesome you got to do that!!! All I can say is someday.....with my ///M ;)

Gotta be a Sandlapper Chapter member to drive your own car. One day though. I keep saying it, but I really can't wait for you to move down! All I've got to do is convince Rob and Kristen to do the same. I'd try to convince Botond, be we all know he's too stubborn!

cakM3
11-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Gotta be a Sandlapper Chapter member to drive your own car. One day though. I keep saying it, but I really can't wait for you to move down! All I've got to do is convince Rob and Kristen to do the same. I'd try to convince Botond, be we all know he's too stubborn!

Now wouldn't that be awesome!!! Botond will most likely join us eventually.....just because he needs my detailing services...;) He would also have a blast a the Performance Center :)

M0nk3y
11-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Couple minor things.

On all of the lane change cones (where you have 2 cones set-up where you need a quick jerk of the wheel). It appears you're turning in too late and falling behind.

Ideally, you want the car to be turning way before that cone...it appears you're waiting until you get to that cone to turn, which kinda makes you shoot wide, lose speed....etc

It's hard to realize, but here is an example of turning before the cone and holding that steering angle:

You want to turn to HIT the cone (but in reality you'll miss it)

Coming up to the cone, and already turning to go around the cone:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/1nFeCt1oN/closecone3.png

And getting around the cone. The car is carrying speed, so you anticipate the car pushing out and hope you come close:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/1nFeCt1oN/Closecone2.png

It's tough to do, and will take time. I was TERRIBLE at this before.

BTW - When you see a downed cone (I saw one in one video at the very end). STOP and point it out! You get a free run for it! Sometimes people don't notice the downed cone until you pass, and they may call that cone on you.

PS - Cone marks clean up fairly easily ;)

Ryans323i
11-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Kyle. The turning into the cone scares me, but I'll try to remember and work on it!

M0nk3y
11-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks Kyle. The turning into the cone scares me, but I'll try to remember and work on it!

It's all about knowing where the edges of your car are. It's hard to do, and I'm still not perfect at it.

Johnmadd
11-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Wow! So jealous! Next time I wanna go! Exclamation point! !

wertyu78
11-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Oh hi, I was there. http://i46.tinypic.com/xll7dg.jpg

danewilson77
11-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Damn that's a nice shot.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

M0nk3y
11-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Oh hi, I was there. http://i46.tinypic.com/xll7dg.jpg

I see go-pro...i want video :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ryans323i
11-24-2012, 06:19 AM
I see go-pro...i want video :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Wyatt! I wanna see video too!

az3579
11-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Stubborn? Aww come on, how 'bout you move up HERE?
WE HAVE WATKINS GLEN!

Ryans323i
11-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Stubborn? Aww come on, how 'bout you move up HERE?
WE HAVE WATKINS GLEN!

I don't have enough thermal underwear to move up there BP, but thanks for the offer! :biggrin

elric
11-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Nicely done, Ryan!!!

az3579
11-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't have enough thermal underwear to move up there BP, but thanks for the offer! :biggrin

That can be arranged.........

I'll sweeten the deal. I'll get BOTH of you thermal underwear to move up. Eh??

(I know that sounds wrong but you see what I'll do to get more mafiosos into the Northeast? :biggrin)

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Ryans323i
11-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Nicely done, Ryan!!!

Thanks Jeff!

That can be arranged.........

I'll sweeten the deal. I'll get BOTH of you thermal underwear to move up. Eh??

(I know that sounds wrong but you see what I'll do to get more mafiosos into the Northeast? :biggrin)

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Seriously, just move down here. :)

wertyu78
12-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I tend to forget to check on threads I've posted to. Better late than never, right? The go-pro footage is on my friends mac. Getting it from him will be mission impossible. I'll try for the mafia

JKO_ZHP
12-19-2012, 07:03 PM
DSC on or off?

Ryans323i
12-20-2012, 05:18 AM
DSC on.

mimalmo
12-20-2012, 06:02 AM
How did I miss this thread before?

Looks like you had fun Ryan. It's very rewarding when you can do it again and again and see yourself improve.

Ryans323i
12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
It was a blast. Watching myself get better was very rewarding. It was great to talk to the pro drivers and people who are really good at the auto-x, get tips, and then put them into action. I can't wait to do it again and implement some of Kyle's advice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Avetiso
04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
That looks like so much fun. Your car looks super clean on the track, Ryan!

Just realized this was from 2012. :innocent

Ryans323i
04-22-2013, 09:13 AM
No problem. I've got vids from this past autocross on Sunday. Haven't loaded them yet, but when I do, I'll post them!

ICTZHP
04-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Very envious of getting to do autocrosses at the Performance Center. My wife and I have been there four times for classes and are heading back in May for another. Great facility and top notch staff!:roundel

derbo
04-22-2013, 09:49 AM
wow, that definitely looks like an autocross I like to do :)

Dave_B
04-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Good stuff Ryan!!! Was a pleasure meeting you and Kyle yesterday. I think we all had a blast. Course was tons of fun with plenty of speed being carried through.

With regards to DSC. I played around a bit and never looked at times until my last session. DSC = 1:45, bad start and horrible in the "autocross" section that was out of sight. DSC off and I shaved 5 second immediately. Then the last session I was at 1:39xx Wish I could have stayed longer for another go.

PS, if Kyle finds it in his heart to forward any of those pics he took to me... I'd appreciate it. :)

M0nk3y
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Yea, DSC off for sure.

Mine is always completely shut off. The car thinks it is always losing traction and immediately says no to it.

It takes time to be more comfortable to it, but IMO I feel more safe with it off than with it on.

Mtnman
04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Either of you two tried just turning off stage one but not all off? I was messing with mine in our mountain run saturday with ry and cam. On it was biting me every turn on the exit. But turning off stage one was perfect. Was too scared to turn off stage two with 100 ft drops on the side of the mountain.

Oh, and i second Dave's comment about Kyles pics. I've been hoping you (Ryan) would start a thread about the drive with all the cool pics kyle took!

Dave_B
04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
I only did stage one, and only learned of this stage 2 this weekend. :)

M0nk3y
04-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Either of you two tried just turning off stage one but not all off? I was messing with mine in our mountain run saturday with ry and cam. On it was biting me every turn on the exit. But turning off stage one was perfect. Was too scared to turn off stage two with 100 ft drops on the side of the mountain.

Oh, and i second Dave's comment about Kyles pics. I've been hoping you (Ryan) would start a thread about the drive with all the cool pics kyle took!

I don't know if the DSC comment pertains to me, but mine is either all on or off.

Mtnman
04-22-2013, 03:35 PM
It was for everyone. So the M only has one stage of dsc? I have dct then dsc. two stages. One is less nanny, then one is no nannies

M0nk3y
04-22-2013, 04:16 PM
It was for everyone. So the M only has one stage of dsc? I have dct then dsc. two stages. One is less nanny, then one is no nannies

The E46M has DSC, M-Dynamic and Fully Off. You have to press and hold to turn fully off on the E46. Same applies to the non-M

On the E86M it has DSC (Which some people claim acts like M-Dynamic), press it once and it is fully off. No need to press and hold.

wertyu78
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I always run my DSC all of the way off during road events. For daily driving I leave it on, it's saved me once.

Ryans323i
04-23-2013, 04:07 AM
Again, the videos at the top aren't from this past weekend. :)

I/we are still in the process of loading videos and tweaking pictures. Once they're done, I'll get them up asap!

My car's DSC is either on or off. Not like the later model e46. Although, I may play next time. By the end of the day, it was definitely holding me back.