PDA

View Full Version : Canon Question Inside: Help me decide..

JupiterBMW
11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Ok, so my wife and I are really close to pulling the trigger on a new camera. We both want a Canon, we know that... I've looked at them a little, not a ton, but enough to know that we either want the Rebel T4i or the 60D.

I can't really tell much about the differences though? They both seem to have similar features, but they're clearly in different lineups. From what I can tell, the Rebel lineup are the occasional home user range, as where the 60D, 7D, etc. are all in the more 'professional' grade...

So, can someone throw down with a layman's terms version of the differences? Neither of us are really educated on photography, but we are both wanting to learn.

Thanks in advance!

az3579
11-25-2012, 03:53 PM
If you're wanting to learn, I recommend starting with a Rebel. I am just stating out as well (I have a Rebel T2i) and am perfectly happy with my camera. I think I will be much more developed by the time the "need" for a better camera arises.

Just some food for thought. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

UdubBadger
11-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Well first look here for technical specs (some fields are blank but that doesn't indicate something is better than the other)
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos60d&products=canon_eos650d

A few key points -
60D is 2 yrs old
T4i is not weather sealed (build quality)
Both have basically identical capabilities for photo and video

Personally I'd rather have a 60D because of the durability and weather sealing because most of everything else is identical. If price is a determining factor that might be one thing but all things even, I'd go for the one that will likely hold up longer. Also the rebel doesn't usually have as many features as the "D" series does so that's another thing. My T2i got bought and sold in under a year because of this and the fact that I felt like I was putting it through too much use. Might not be the case for you but I'd always rather have a step up from what I need things to withstand than a step below.

JupiterBMW
11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Thank you both for your input. And to be honest, as BP said, we are both beginners, so yes, the T4i would be plenty sufficient for our skill level.

But, as Seth mentioned, having something that is a step up will allow us to grow and we'll never have a need to get rid of it. I don't plan on buying something better in a couple years when I've learned more. I'd rather have more and work my way into all the features... I don't see the weather sealing being an issue, but then again, build quality is a big deal for me... Of course, we do get a lot of rain in Florida, so perhaps it'd be worth having that...

Doing a little more looking, I see the T4i has full HD video, which the 60D does not. I didn't realize the 60D was an older model... Hmm.. now I'm more undecided...

az3579
11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Just FYI, I have no build quality issues with my T2i. Doesn't feel cheap in the slightest. I don't know about weather sealing because I don't use electronics in bad weather (goes against every fiber of my technological being), but it is a good point if you plan on shooting in the rain. I didn't know they made DSLR's weather-proof...

If price isn't a concern, then by all means buy a better model. I am always being price conscious, so my apologies if price isn't a factor.

JupiterBMW
11-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Well, between those models, price is not an issue. I was planning on $1200 or so to get us started, but if I go with the T4i, I'll have a few hundred extra for another lens or other stuff that might be of interest...

wsmeyer
11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Between the three I'd go with the T4i. They are all quite capable cameras but the T4i is the newest and the only one of the three with full time auto focus during video shooting.

William.

az3579
11-25-2012, 05:29 PM
The video quality of the T2i is excellent. I can imagine the T4i to be just as good or better.

Having the extra lenses is sooo worth it. I'm suffering from not having any extra lenses.

3ZHPGUY
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm in that exact same boat but, the next level below. I'm looking at either the Canon T3 or the T3I. These are both well review cameras and yes the T3I has several desirable upgrades but it comes $200 + price tag. From looking around at many retailers, Sam's Club has a package deal that comes with two lenses (EF-S18/55 IS II, & EF75/300 III) and that I'm leaning towards. Currently, I'm reviewing the manuals of both on line to see the differences and learn before I buy.

Years ago, I would have opted for the best of the best but, having some old stuff that was state-of-the-art. that's now not as compatible as I'd like it to be, has me thinking different. I also have all of my dads 35mm stuff that's now worthless, and something he waited a lifetime to finally afford.

jsfbmw
11-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Ok, so my wife and I are really close to pulling the trigger on a new camera. We both want a Canon, we know that... I've looked at them a little, not a ton, but enough to know that we either want the Rebel T4i or the 60D.

I can't really tell much about the differences though? They both seem to have similar features, but they're clearly in different lineups. From what I can tell, the Rebel lineup are the occasional home user range, as where the 60D, 7D, etc. are all in the more 'professional' grade...

So, can someone throw down with a layman's terms version of the differences? Neither of us are really educated on photography, but we are both wanting to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Both cameras will allow you to take great still photos. Canon incorporated the latest video features in the T4i since it is newer than the 60D. You need to decide how deep into photography or videography you think you want to go, since the cameras' capabilities are quite high.

I've used both Rebel and 5DII "interfaces" and prefer having the top LCD panel as well as quick control dial, as the 60D has. I found changing settings faster with the "more serious" interface.

The T4i is about $500 less which could allow you buy a better lense(s). I suggest you and your wife handle both cameras and see which one fits/feels better. Granted, in a short session you are only getting first impressions, but it's a start.

I recommend you get the best lens your budget allows. A kit lens (18-55 or 18-135) will allow you to start with a smaller budget, but a better the lens enables a better image to be captured. That's only on the technical side; it is the photographer who ultimately determines through composition, settings, and focus, the overall image quality.

You may also consider renting each body and different lenses and try them out. It's a bit of upfront expense, but gives you first-hand data. Sorta like comparing a ZHP to a sport package 330i to see if the added $$$ may be worth it. (We know it is. <g>)

Lastly, if T4i and 60D were the two choices presented to me, I think I would go with the more expensive 60D because of the UI.

Good luck.

JupiterBMW
11-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Both cameras will allow you to take great still photos. Canon incorporated the latest video features in the T4i since it is newer than the 60D. You need to decide how deep into photography or videography you think you want to go, since the cameras' capabilities are quite high.

I've used both Rebel and 5DII "interfaces" and prefer having the top LCD panel as well as quick control dial, as the 60D has. I found changing settings faster with the "more serious" interface.

The T4i is about $500 less which could allow you buy a better lense(s). I suggest you and your wife handle both cameras and see which one fits/feels better. Granted, in a short session you are only getting first impressions, but it's a start.

I recommend you get the best lens your budget allows. A kit lens (18-55 or 18-135) will allow you to start with a smaller budget, but a better the lens enables a better image to be captured. That's only on the technical side; it is the photographer who ultimately determines through composition, settings, and focus, the overall image quality.

You may also consider renting each body and different lenses and try them out. It's a bit of upfront expense, but gives you first-hand data. Sorta like comparing a ZHP to a sport package 330i to see if the added $$$ may be worth it. (We know it is. <g>)

Lastly, if T4i and 60D were the two choices presented to me, I think I would go with the more expensive 60D because of the UI.

Good luck.

Your whole post had me thinking that the T4i would be fine, and the extra money would be a good lens, and then your last words said buy the 60D... Killin' me smalls! :rofl

UdubBadger
11-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Jon, not sure where you are looking but the 60D shoots full 1080 HD video as well.

If cost is an issue for you, I would be inclined to say look for a lightly used one to offset a few hundred bucks. Weather sealing makes a different and not just in throwing your camera in the mud. Salt spray getting into a camera body can be devastating to its longevity so if you are shooting in Florida I'd want something sealed up tighter than Mother Theresa's legs. That's just me though.

The 18-55mm lens will be fine to learn with but yes you will likely want to invest in more/better lenses as you go along and get better. If you decide its not a big hobby of yours but you'll use the camera on vacations and for random stuff, you're not over invested in glass you don't need at that point. I say this in all of the camera threads - make no mistake its the person behind the camera that makes the good photos, not the camera or lenses they use. But with that being said you want something quality that will last. Both are great bodies, you just need to decide which one is the right application for you.

JupiterBMW
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Hmm ok. I was on the canon website, and I didn't see full HD for the 60D. As for our use, our main goal is better photos of the baby. I'd like to use it for car stuff too, and some scenery stuff. I don't know really. But definitely baby photos.

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S... :shifty

UdubBadger
11-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I can personally attest to the fact it shoots HD video because I've used it on my friends before.

jsfbmw
11-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Your whole post had me thinking that the T4i would be fine, and the extra money would be a good lens, and then your last words said buy the 60D... Killin' me smalls! :rofl

Just to clarify, if the options were presented to me I would pick the 60D. The T4i would be fine, but like I mentioned, I prefer the UI of the 60D. Further to what other posters said, you may consider a slightly older model or a used model to get your feet wet. You save $$$ and can learn what is important to you and your wife.

Also, don't chase specifications. Today's DSLRs (and those a couple of years old) are extremely capable cameras. It's a tool that has to work for you. We haven't touched upon built-in flash versus using a Speedlite, although for baby pics you may want to use natural light.

Just guessing, but you'll be happy with either camera.

JupiterBMW
11-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Decent deal??

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ele/3428773567.html

danewilson77
11-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Ask him how many clicks.

JupiterBMW
11-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Hmm, good call.. He said the camera is 11 mos old.

JupiterBMW
11-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Hmm, speaking of, what sort of clicks should I consider is too much. I just looked at another ad for one that is 4 months old, with about 2000 clicks on it.

jsfbmw
11-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Decent deal??

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ele/3428773567.html

On the surface, reads like a great deal. As always, caveat emptor.

Don't know if this would be acceptable: Ask to see original receipt to know it's legit camera.

+1 on knowing clicks. OTOH, shutter must be rated for 100k plus.

Seller may be thinking, "got a year's use out of it and sell for $500 less than purchased." If seller has budget for 5D II or III, reasonable to want to sell quickly.

UdubBadger
11-26-2012, 06:29 AM
it's like mileage on a car - 100k clicks can still be a fine working camera if it's kept up. I just got 2 new bodies last week with about 10k clicks on them. my 5Dmk2 has about 25k and still looks pretty new actually.