PDA

View Full Version : Argos Bluetooth Kit from BavAuto

iZHP
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
As promised, here's my review on the Argos Bluetooth Retrofit kit for E46 (http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=BT%20AEXP3&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_source=BT%20AEXP3).

Got it from Bavarian Autosport for $242.95 on sale right now. Also, the required OEM BMW Microphone for $65. (Some cars may have this already installed, so it's a good idea to check beforehand).

I didn't even bother posting any pics, because this was a straight-forward install, which I was thrilled about.

Also note: you may need a $10 "jumper plug" to go into the Blue 26-pin connector. Mine had a jumper already in it from the factory. :cool

My most difficulty was digging out the mic wire from the ceiling panel. It was stuffed all the way towards the front of the car, with a ton of factory tape to protect it (it's the stickiest tape I've ever seen lol). I thought I found it when I first got the panel off, but there are quite a few spare connectors up there. The mic wire has a BLACK connector. The others are white.

The PDF from BavAuto (http://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins413.pdf) was what I used as my guide.

Pairing with my iPhone 5 was excellent. Hold down the "Small button" (as they call it) talking head button, until you hear 2 beeps. Make your phone discoverable, enter 1234 as the password, and that was it. Remembered forever, every time you enter the car.
The R/T button is used to reject incoming calls, and to mute when on a call.
Use the talking head button for answer/hang up/Siri.

The best was using Siri with this. I never really used Siri, or thought it would be useful, until now. Press the talking head button once, and you enable Siri...through the Bluetooth. Ask her anything...read aloud for her to type a text to someone, or ask her to read a text you just received. Ask the weather, or to call a friend. I love this functionality of not having to touch the phone AT ALL anymore. That's truly handsfree.

I am ABSOLUTELY impressed with this product!! I would recommend it to anyone who wants FACTORY INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH with barely any installation effort.

WOLFN8TR
11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Sweet, thanks for the review!

CERF04ZHP
12-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been scouring the internet on and off for a while, looking for an affordable, reliable, predictable, easy to use, and seamless Bluetooth solution to use with my factory business CD. Think I found it!

CERF04ZHP
12-20-2012, 12:44 PM
As promised, here's my review on the Argos Bluetooth Retrofit kit for E46 (http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=BT%20AEXP3&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_source=BT%20AEXP3).

Got it from Bavarian Autosport for $242.95 on sale right now. Also, the required OEM BMW Microphone for $65. (Some cars may have this already installed, so it's a good idea to check beforehand).

I didn't even bother posting any pics, because this was a straight-forward install, which I was thrilled about.

Also note: you may need a $10 "jumper plug" to go into the Blue 26-pin connector. Mine had a jumper already in it from the factory. :cool

My most difficulty was digging out the mic wire from the ceiling panel. It was stuffed all the way towards the front of the car, with a ton of factory tape to protect it (it's the stickiest tape I've ever seen lol). I thought I found it when I first got the panel off, but there are quite a few spare connectors up there. The mic wire has a BLACK connector. The others are white.

The PDF from BavAuto (http://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins413.pdf) was what I used as my guide.

Pairing with my iPhone 5 was excellent. Hold down the "Small button" (as they call it) talking head button, until you hear 2 beeps. Make your phone discoverable, enter 1234 as the password, and that was it. Remembered forever, every time you enter the car.
The R/T button is used to reject incoming calls, and to mute when on a call.
Use the talking head button for answer/hang up/Siri.

The best was using Siri with this. I never really used Siri, or thought it would be useful, until now. Press the talking head button once, and you enable Siri...through the Bluetooth. Ask her anything...read aloud for her to type a text to someone, or ask her to read a text you just received. Ask the weather, or to call a friend. I love this functionality of not having to touch the phone AT ALL anymore. That's truly handsfree.

I am ABSOLUTELY impressed with this product!! I would recommend it to anyone who wants FACTORY INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH with barely any installation effort.

How is the sound quality? Have you asked anyone how clear you sound on the other end/any delay?

MrMaico
12-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the review! Sounds tempting. Only thing holding me back is I just don't use my phone a whole lot in the car. Plus the fact that I don't even own a cell phone. Just have a cheap flip phone from work that I can use for personal calls at any time.

Still it would be nice to have it when you need it.

But then I think about maybe just getting a Dynavin.

iZHP
12-23-2012, 09:04 AM
How is the sound quality? Have you asked anyone how clear you sound on the other end/any delay?

I have. When the windows are closed they can hear me fine, but if the heat is blasting, or there's a lot of air movement from a window being open, they said they could hear it a bit. The factory mic location seems pretty accurate in catching my voice, and eliminating background noise.
The quality of the incoming sound is also good, but if the person yells or starts talking loudly, it's not the most pleasant sound.
I've used newer systems in a 2011 Ford Mustang with Microsoft Sync, and the mic didn't pick up all that well, and you couldn't activate Siri/voice dial since there was no steering wheel button.
I saw that ad for the Buick with Peyton Manning in it, and all those commands he was saying, I can do in my 2003 BMW hahah

-Sent via iPhone 5

CERF04ZHP
12-25-2012, 07:43 AM
I have. When the windows are closed they can hear me fine, but if the heat is blasting, or there's a lot of air movement from a window being open, they said they could hear it a bit. The factory mic location seems pretty accurate in catching my voice, and eliminating background noise.
The quality of the incoming sound is also good, but if the person yells or starts talking loudly, it's not the most pleasant sound.
I've used newer systems in a 2011 Ford Mustang with Microsoft Sync, and the mic didn't pick up all that well, and you couldn't activate Siri/voice dial since there was no steering wheel button.
I saw that ad for the Buick with Peyton Manning in it, and all those commands he was saying, I can do in my 2003 BMW hahah

-Sent via iPhone 5

And I love the fact that you can utilize the steering wheel buttons!

via EVO.LTE

redwagon
12-30-2012, 02:56 PM
OK need some help here......I purchased the Argos unit many months ago and installed yesterday, simple to do per the above. Took a while to figure out the pairing thing, and I'm stuck right now with no microphone input. If I dial with the phone itself while paired, I can make a call. I can hear incoming transmissions, but nothing is going out nor does voice recognition work.
I bought the mike and installed it, plus have the correct jumper installed. the mike connectors didnt quite match 100% which is a concern.....any suggestions on next steps to isolate the mike issue or?
Tim

kayger12
12-30-2012, 04:17 PM
OK need some help here......I purchased the Argos unit many months ago and installed yesterday, simple to do per the above. Took a while to figure out the pairing thing, and I'm stuck right now with no microphone input. If I dial with the phone itself while paired, I can make a call. I can hear incoming transmissions, but nothing is going out nor does voice recognition work.
I bought the mike and installed it, plus have the correct jumper installed. the mike connectors didnt quite match 100% which is a concern.....any suggestions on next steps to isolate the mike issue or?
Tim

Are you sure you got the right connector?

There's the home link connector in that same area. You really have to dig to find the cables up there.

redwagon
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Well I'll go look for others up in there, this was the only one I saw, and it was tucked in and all taped up etc.....
anyone know how many wires go into the mike connector or what colors? I dont see it referenced in my wiring diagrams....
Tim

kayger12
12-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Take a look in this thread. There are pictures of the Home Link connector and the Mic connector.

Looks like yellow, black, and white wires looking at it on my phone.

If you can't make them out let me know and I'll pull mine when I get home and give you the colors.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

redwagon
12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
excellent- thats super helpful, I was trying to use the white connector....and the black one is the right one.....will check it out today!
Tim

kayger12
12-31-2012, 08:37 AM
:thumbup

redwagon
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
OK, got it done and it works great!!!
What took the most time was finding the darn black connector for the mike. I thought I had unwrapped and examined everything, and then as a last ditch thought removed the map light assembly. the mike wiriing was taped into that and well hidden forward of the light cluster. All easy after that.
Thanks much for the help!
Tim

kayger12
12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Nice job! I remember my Homelink cable was really buried like that.

Glad it's up and running.

iZHP
01-06-2013, 08:00 AM
That's what I said in my original post! I did the same thing. The white connector looked almost identical...the black connector was shoved all the way towards the front, buried, and wrapped in tape Lol.

-Sent via iPhone 5

aurelius
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
The Argos unit is no longer available from Bavauto nor amazon. Anyone know what up with that?

Leon
05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah I find myself interested in this OEM - like implementation...

Avetiso
05-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Does it work with music? Have you tried it and what do you think of it?

aurelius
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
I called Bavauto and as far as they know, these are no longer in production. If anyone knows otherwise, do tell.

iZHP
11-21-2013, 08:16 PM
It's confirmed, Argos for BMW bluetooth kit officially discontinued from the manufacturer....

Some good info here (http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_E46_Bluetooth_Installation_Instructions.html) about installing the OEM BMW ULF Bluetooth Module.

Saved as a PDF (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23b--VYZXwpUGZjQUtQNEVtVDg/edit?usp=sharing) incase this website goes down one day.

Also, describing the differences and various part numbers (http://www.bimmernav.com/ulfchanges.html).

Edit: made PDF link public.

derbo
11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
It's confirmed, Argos for BMW bluetooth kit officially discontinued from the manufacturer....

Some good info here (http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_E46_Bluetooth_Installation_Instructions.html) about installing the OEM BMW ULF Bluetooth Module.

Saved as a PDF (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23b--VYZXwpUGZjQUtQNEVtVDg/edit?usp=sharing) incase this website goes down one day.

Also, describing the differences and various part numbers (http://www.bimmernav.com/ulfchanges.html).

Since you have an 03, I suggest going with a TCU instead of an ULF. You won't require a pairing button with the TCU. I think SNa77 (steve) has installed this as well as I think another person here. I've been searching for the TCU for awhile now..waiting..patiently..

iZHP
11-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Since you have an 03, I suggest going with a TCU instead of an ULF. You won't require a pairing button with the TCU. I think SNa77 (steve) has installed this as well as I think another person here. I've been searching for the TCU for awhile now..waiting..patiently..

Would this still apply to an '06?

-Sent via iPhone 5S