PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Arctic Tundra!

MsRN
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi! :hi

Okay, so Madison, Wisconsin isn't in the Arctic; nor is it tundra--more like terminal moraine--but it's 13ºF at midday, sunny and snow-covered. Close enough, IMHO. And it captures the mood SOOOO much better than "Greetings from the Snowy Midwest", too!

I'm new to the forum, but I've had my 2005 ZHP sedan for just over two years now (ever since that van T-boned my e46 325iT at 35mph), and my only complaints are a) it's an automatic (with a toddler in tow, this is not always the liability it seems); b) it's not a wagon (great for hauling greyhounds and groceries, and better sightlines). That being said, the ZHP puts my old wagon to shame in the torque and handling departments, and the engine rumble is just plain sexy! :wub

Something it is about BMW roundel gracing the lines of a finely-tuned German automobile that gives me pause, but I've finally built up the nerve to start doing general maintenance on the ZHP. So far, I've done oil, plugs, and air filters. Brakes, fuel filter, and differential oil are on my shortlist, followed soon by a complete cooling system overhaul. The last three make me nervous, but there's nothing like diving in to a DIY project for enhancing ones self-esteem, and protecting ones meagre checking balance. (Don't get me wrong; I <3 my BMW dealership, but $120 for an oil change? Ouch! :eyetwitch) The oil change taught me that long hair and creepers just don't get along very well (my HeadGator solved that problem). Nitrile gloves are a must for those of us that need to keep our hands clean and cut-free for work (I learned that working on bikes, motorized and otherwise).

Anyway, about me:

Likes: Bimmers, road bikes, mountain bikes, greyhounds, good books, jazz records, creative cooking, good wine and beer, foreign languages, science, public radio, arthouse movies, and anything else that piques my interest (there's a lot).

Loves: My spouse, my daughter, my hounds.

Dislikes: Chauvinists of any stripe

Profession: Critical care RN

Enough said? :roundel

Marcus-SanDiego
01-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Well, let me be the first to welcome you. I appreciate the comprehensive introduction.

Your chauvinist reference, in particular, is something we take seriously around here. We're trying to be the "gentler, kinder" forum around here. We have evolved enough that we can convey our thoughts without having to resort to name calling and gender bashing. I think you'll appreciate the more mature tone of our forum.

Looking forward to having you as a contributor.

Welcome.

mimalmo
01-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Welcome. I'm not too far from you.

Alphatek45
01-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the Mafia!

danewilson77
01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the Mafia. Congrats on being part of La Familia.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Kudos
01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Welcome and go Packers. you'll see that the first time you do something, you realize the genious of bmw engineering and how they make diy not as difficult as it sounds. Next time you do it, you'll look like a pro, although most maintenence outside of oils you'll only have to do a few times in a cars lifetime.

DESANT
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the family, nice intro.

kayger12
01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Best intro I've read on this forum.

Great to have you here.

danewilson77
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
MsRN....are you a female? My reasons for asking are innocent.

If you are a guy...sorry. I was just reading into the username.

See....we have been waiting for our first female member here....so we could give her OG status....thats all.

Mtnman
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
welcome to the family. hope you can learn and share with us. now, pics please! i also have the automatic woes, and a baby in tow. it is a double edge sword.

MsRN
01-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Marcus--

If she walks in circles, she will be easier to catch for the next time!

If he has to catch her, I think that rules out 'kinder, gentler', don't you? ;) Or perhaps just the opposite, depending on her tastes?

Serious girl talk can peel paint. Multiple layers at once. Boy talk is mostly just funny (see above). :)

MsRN
01-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Mtnman,

ATs are great when you're trying to find the sippy cup your toddler just dropped, in gridlock traffic at 45mph...

Marcus-SanDiego
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Marcus--

If he has to catch her, I think that rules out 'kinder, gentler', don't you? ;) Or perhaps just the opposite, depending on her tastes?

Serious girl talk can peel paint. Multiple layers at once. Boy talk is mostly just funny (see above). :)

In all fairness, that was said in December -- before this missive by yours truly (on January 13):

Request: let's not get into the business of posting jokes that target races, genders, etc.

Why? One, new visitors show up on this site all the time. They do not know anything about us -- as a group. Do you really want this to be the first thing they see? I don't.

Second, I know the racial background of many members here on this forum. I also know the gender of most of you as well. While some may not be offended by these obvious jokes, some no doubt will. It's the nature of the beast. I don't believe there is any upside to this stuff -- only downside.

So, let's not be the forum that devolves into what the rest of the forums are. Let's try to be above it.

Use your best judgment in this thread.

Thanks, guys (and girls).

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?772-POST-The-funniez-in-this-thread&p=13711#post13711
-----

Let's just say that we're working on it, MsRN.

MsRN
01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
In fairness, my toddler helped me decide to buy the ZHP; it was the only ride she 'test drove' that got a great big grin when I hit the throttle (it didn't hurt that the car started moving sideways)!

Marcus-SanDiego
01-20-2011, 10:10 PM
In fairness, my toddler helped me decide to buy the ZHP; it was the only ride she 'test drove' that got a great big grin when I hit the throttle (it didn't hurt that the car started moving sideways)!

Well, your toddler helped you make a fine choice.

Anyhow, you may find some other comments on this site that don't reflect on us so favorably, but I think -- by and large -- that you'll find that we have done a relatively good job of staying respectful on the site. Still, we ain't perfect. But, as I said earlier, we're working on it.

Our goal is to not only be the best site on a relative basis but on an absolute basis as well.

MsRN
01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Marcus--

Let's just say that I'm truly unconcerned; 'sensitivity' and PCness can be overdone. Besides, I laughed when I read that quote. Was it crude? Certainly. Offensive? Hardly. Sexist? Please. I just hope certain wives weren't reading their husbands posts, lest 'long dry spells' ensue! :)

To be honest, I regret posting that quote, insofar as it causes anyone here to worry about being 'polite' for fear of offending me (or anyone else, for that matter). My idea of a 'kinder, gentler' forum is one in which flame wars are kept to a minimum, and the First Amendment to the US Constitution is respected. If something really bothers me, I'll speak up, trust me.

(And besides, who wouldn't lust after an M in i's clothing? The car that generated all that naughty talk is ABSOLUTELY 'drool-worthy').

If I haven't been absolutely clear:

Y'all have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't have joined the forum if I didn't enjoy it, and if I ever have a problem, I'll handle it directly, or take my comments elsewhere. Don't start worrying about a non-issue. PLEASE.

mimalmo
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
That car you mention still gets me in the mood.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the post, MsRN.

You'll find that no one will worry about tip-toeing around the site. I imagine, moreover, that you'll handle yourself just fine around here. I've enjoyed you from the start; so will everyone else. I suspect we'll never have to worry about you needing to speak up.

Maybe I'm just an idealist but I hope that we really can be the site that does it better than everyone else. That doesn't mean we can't speak our minds and have fun at the same time. On this site, though, we should all be striving to make sure that our fun is not coming at the expense of others.

That's my goal for the site. We'll see how it works out.

C Withers Media
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the forums MsRN.... I am not a pig, but my job caters to them......Please do not hold me liable for anything you may see me post in the form of a picture. Without great women, my job would suck. I promise I will not worry about offending you, and while I will not try to do such, I seem to have a knack for it.

Do not hold the other upstanding citizens of the community here accountable for me.

Anyhow your intro was the best intro I have read on any forum and that alone deserves OG status.

Welcome to the family..

danewilson77
01-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Waiting for OG status.....

bimmer848
01-21-2011, 05:21 AM
great intro!

welcome, and congrats on OG status:pimp

Tampa330i
01-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Welcome OG!

danewilson77