PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions...

BCAN
12-13-2012, 11:28 PM
I've got my list compiled of future mods I want for my car, but I'm unsure about one thing. I've got a Dinan exhaust and, though I love the sound, I'm not sure if I should keep running this (I plan on headers no matter what) or invest in a catback. I used to have a Magnaflow catback on my old car and loved the sound with my intake, so I may consider that, UUC or SuperSprint. What think? I do think headers and Dinan would sound great, but so would headers and most anything else... :dunno

Also, side question, if I get the Dinan long tube to replace my Dinan airbox, will it throw codes if i've got a Dinan throttle body and stage 3 software? I doubt so, just making sure.

05ZHPCPE
12-14-2012, 01:02 AM
I have the AFE Stage 1 intake system w/ ProDryS filter coupled with the cat-back UUC and to me sound/performance is a perfect match. I have heard all of those exhausts you mentioned in person on 330's and ultimately went with the UUC. I get asked frequently what exhaust I'm running and not a single negative review. I would load a sound clip for you although I'm out of the country. Headers with any aftermarket exhaust I think would truly sound awesome!

JupiterBMW
12-14-2012, 04:33 AM
Honestly man, there are and always will be a million and a half threads on "which exhaust combo" or "which intake" should someone get... Its all in preference, and everybody will have a different one. Sound clips online will help, but you never know how accurate the sound will be.

I have the Dinan, its perfect for me. 05ZHPCPE has the UUC, he loves that... You'll never get the same answer twice my friend...

BCAN
12-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, sound wise it is definitely subjective..but performance-wise? I know the Dinan isn't a catback, but then again, switching to a catback would provide only a negligible bump in power. I dunno, I'll figure it out eventually. It'll sound good regardless once I get headers and a super :biggrin
Well probably not a super. That's way down the list. I'm not much of an FI guy, but the power gains, I want them!

HokieZHP
12-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Like it was said above, it's up to preference. It's pretty well known that the UUC and headers sounds awful though!

Personally, I have a Magnaflow and Gruppe-M and absolutely love the sound!

webster
12-14-2012, 01:50 PM
another suggestion could be to go with the headers and keep the OEM exhaust. price is about the same and the performance gain from the headers will outweigh any catback. headers + catback is awfully loud for a DD car. your neighbors will friggin hate you. i recommend searching around forums for all the numerous threads where people put a catback on with headers and shortly thereafter wanted to sell the exhaust...

Torxuvin
12-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I would like to hear your dinan in person

Jon D
12-14-2012, 04:38 PM
By default headers make you a catless system. The cats are built into the stock manifolds. So the big changes are headers and the muffler, the resonator can't be that restrictive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

az3579
12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Just whatever you do, don't get the UUC TSE3 with headers. You'll end up with perforated ear drums.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

BCAN
12-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Hahaha, thanks guys, I had read someone saying something about getting headers and wanting to sell their UUC come to think of it. Can't remember his name :facepalm
I thought there were two sets of cats? I must be remembering incorrectly. I tend to do that.

It sounds pretty great Cameron, not too loud and muddled, just the right kind of throaty rasp to it. Smooth with a nice thrum to it. You'll hear it at C&O, or another meet sometime! Just hit me up if there's anything going on! Though, I do imagine it would sound better with the VANOS not rattling satanically. I need to get a Dr Vanos kit...