PDA

View Full Version : CDV delete??

jjcools
01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Who has done the full delete and have you had any negative effects?

What fluid did you replace after bleed?

Thanks

danewilson77
01-21-2011, 04:43 PM
I did eeet. No need to bleed. No negative affects. Only positive.

That is all.

DW out.

EDIT:

DIY
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_cdv.shtml

CDV Mod provided by Zeckhausen Racing (I did not do this) - Near the bottom of the below link.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/E46.htm

Marcus-SanDiego
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I haven't done it yet but both of my cars are having it done. Just need to get Shane to do it. It's happening, though.

jjcools
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Everything I read said you have to bleed... Sounds easy then.

Is there a delete DIY around? I only saw the other change out DIY.

kayger12
01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20808952#post20808952

danewilson77
01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Everything I read said you have to bleed... Sounds easy then.

Is there a delete DIY around? I only saw the other change out DIY.

I think the clutch is fed by........the brake booster, and does not need to be bled......I mean...that doesn't warrant introducing a bunch of air to the system and spilling fluid everywhere though.

I never bled. My car runs like a friggen top.

DIY posted above....

Alphatek45
01-22-2011, 05:24 AM
I will be doing this very soon as well.

jvr826
01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I have the Zeckhousen gutted CDV in my car, but next time I have it up off the ground I'm going to delete it completely.

I have bled my clutch a couple of times and I did feel like it was beneficial. However, it's a major pain in the ass if you have big hands as the working room is very limited. Use caution so the wrench doesn't slip off the bleeder screw or you may let too much out.

I wish I had a lift, or better yet, I wish my racer neighbor had one. :-)

danewilson77
01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Why delete the zeckhausen body?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jjcools
01-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Anyone install the bigger clutch stop too? I thought this would be a good time for both.

Thanks

az3579
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Anyone install the bigger clutch stop too? I thought this would be a good time for both.

Thanks

What would the benefit from a clutch stop be? Do you really need the extra "time" potentially saved by it? It doesn't really do anything for you...

danewilson77
01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Not I....

kayger12
01-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks

I'm gonna do the clutch stop.

DIY with some part info here (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=206363)

I like the idea of consistency that comes with a clutch stop.

For the less than $5 it costs to do, it's worth evaluating in my book.

kayger12
01-25-2011, 09:44 AM
What would the benefit from a clutch stop be? Do you really need the extra "time" potentially saved by it? It doesn't really do anything for you...

Consistency is accuracy. It gives you a landmark for travel-to-engagement. I sit pretty far back so I don't even come close to hitting the existing stop.

I'd rather hit a stop and have a known distance to engagement...

If I don't like it or feel it doesn't do anything, I'll remove it and eat the $4.

kayger12
01-25-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks

Done. Like it better already. (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?884-Clutch-Stop)

jvr826
01-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Why delete the zeckhausen body?

Seems to me a bigger pipe would further improve the feel of the clutch. To be honest, I don't recall a serious difference after installing the gutted check valve.

az3579
01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
To be honest, I don't recall a serious difference after installing the gutted check valve.

This was exactly the case when I installed my CDV Delete valve, but then started realizing that rev-matches were possible after installing it, where before it wasn't.
(It was still very difficult because of the throttle lag, but that's another story)

I don't think the difference is HUGE in feel, but it definitely opens the door to better clutch control possibilities. I don't really think changing to another valve (if you already have the Zeckhausen valve) is going to make any difference for you though.

iZHP
02-15-2011, 08:40 AM
my CDV is gone too. Way better without it

Rovert
02-17-2011, 12:33 AM
It's weird. I took mine out years ago but I didn't notice a difference with it there and not there. I had no problem rev-matching every downshift whether it be a grandma single gear rev-match or super aggressive double clutch triple gear skip match...LOL. I guess I just got used to it. Anybody feel the same as me? Or am I just smokin' something?

az3579
02-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Anybody feel the same as me? Or am I just smokin' something?

Must be smoking that special blend... :p

I actually say the same thing. In regular street driving, I feel no difference. Rev-matched shifts are night and day though because rev-matching with a CDV installed is nearly impossible.

Rovert
02-17-2011, 04:11 PM
It was totally possible with my CDV. Maybe I'm just a slow shifter now...LOL. When I got the car I use to chirp into 2nd, but now I can't do that anymore.... :( Not that I want to do that...it's kinda hard on the engine mounts, transmission, tires and if the mom is drinking something at the same time in the car.

RITmusic2k
02-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Rev-matching by blipping is definitely tricky as hell; I find myself adapting to a driving style where I blip & hold my revs and then wait for a painful second to get back on the throttle. This bypasses the vagueness of the CDV, but it interrupts the hell out of the drive itself. And of course sometimes I revert to my old ways and unconsciously bang out a quick shift only to get a rev surge. I really need to yank that damn thing.

Rovert
02-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Don't yank too hard! I was on a lonely road with my friend who had a ZSP coupe and he wanted to see how much quicker a ZHP was to the beginning of 3rd. We were very close on the 1st to 2nd shift as I watched him pull off his shift knob....LOL. The priceless WTF look on his face while hearing my friendly honk as I surged past him for a win. He's since upgraded to an E46 M3 with a shiftknob that doesn't come off while shifting.

danewilson77
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Don't yank too hard! I was on a lonely road with my friend who had a ZSP coupe and he wanted to see how much quicker a ZHP was to the beginning of 3rd. We were very close on the 1st to 2nd shift as I watched him pull off his shift knob....LOL. The priceless WTF look on his face while hearing my friendly honk as I surged past him for a win. He's since upgraded to an E46 M3 with a shiftknob that doesn't come off while shifting.

Lol...

Johnmadd
02-18-2011, 07:52 PM
I have the zeckhausen delete. Po put it on and I don't know what regular even feels like but I chirped 2nd today to see if I could, and it felt good my friend. It was the first time I tried to do it, I am so glad I bought this car, it's awesome.

Johnmadd
02-18-2011, 08:17 PM
(It was still very difficult because of the throttle lag, but that's another story)

Sprint booster any good from what you guys know? I called a guy on craigslist for one and it didn't have the 3 way controller so I didn't get it but the guy said if I do get it that it does make a difference in the lag big time. He was going to some special tune.

danewilson77
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Get Shark. Only hear bad reviews on Sprint Booster.

Johnmadd
02-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I am pretty sure that's what he said he was getting. What is it, how much money, what's it do?. Why is sprint booster bad?

MrMaico
02-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I am pretty sure that's what he said he was getting. What is it, how much money, what's it do?. Why is sprint booster bad?

Simply put the Sprintbooster just changes the response curve of the drive-by-wire throttle, it doesn't do anything as far as your DME engine mapping programming is concerned.

Shark software makes changes in your DME software programming, among them it changes the drive-by-wire response curve. It would seem to me to be redundant to have both which is probably why he was selling the SB.

Sprintbooster IMO is alot of money for what it does. If you want faster throttle response just press the throttle faster. :biggrin

HTH....Barry

pyreguy
02-19-2011, 03:17 PM
My tuner at Autobahn South recommended I avoid the Sprint Booster in lieu of a reflash.

RITmusic2k
02-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Hah! That's awesome and funny :) I'll clarify, though, that I meant I really need to yank my CDV. My gearshift lever doesn't require any extra force to manipulate :-p

Johnmadd
02-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Simply put the Sprintbooster just changes the response curve of the drive-by-wire throttle, it doesn't do anything as far as your DME engine mapping programming is concerned.

Shark software makes changes in your DME software programming, among them it changes the drive-by-wire response curve. It would seem to me to be redundant to have both which is probably why he was selling the SB.

Sprintbooster IMO is alot of money for what it does. If you want faster throttle response just press the throttle faster. :biggrin
O
HTH....Barry

My tuner at Autobahn South recommended I avoid the Sprint Booster in lieu of a reflash.

Thanks for the very useful knowledge guys.

az3579
02-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Plus the Shark has added benefits; the booster has one.

Burn535i
04-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I did eeet. No need to bleed. No negative affects. Only positive.

Just trying to fully understand this DIY, but when you said there was no need to bleed is that because you pinched the soft line so no fluid came out. I want to do this mod but I don't want to have to deal with bleeding the system.

kpro
04-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Burn, take a small pair of vice grips and pinch the rubber hose close to the CDV. Then take both lines off of the CDV, and then screw them together. Then release the vice grips and you're done. No need to bleed the system because you didn't loose fluid or introduce air into the lines.

Burn535i
04-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Awesome, that is exactly what I was thinking would be the case but I just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the input.

M0nk3y
04-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Burn, take a small pair of vice grips and pinch the rubber hose close to the CDV. Then take both lines off of the CDV, and then screw them together. Then release the vice grips and you're done. No need to bleed the system because you didn't loose fluid or introduce air into the lines.

Are the lines rubber and metal?

Wouldn't pinching them screw up the threads?

I'm going to be doing this to the M, except I was just going to bleed it

MrMaico
04-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Are the lines rubber and metal?

Wouldn't pinching them screw up the threads?

I'm going to be doing this to the M, except I was just going to bleed it

Yes, similar to a brake line. Just pinch it back a ways from the metal fitting. What I did was gravity bled mine.....after the CDV is removed just open the bleeder for a bit and let the fluid drip out. Works great.