PDA

View Full Version : H&R Cup Kits

JimN9NE
12-20-2012, 04:34 PM
:offtopic So just FYI i know there has been alot of talk about H&R Springs on this forum and it seems there might be a misconception about them. I talked to a H&R rep at TireRack, he said the the Springs that come with the Sport Cup Kit are neither the Sport Springs or the Race Springs, instead they are about in between the two of those (meaning the ride height is in between) and can only be had if you purchase the Sport Cup Kit, not by themselves.

As well i got info on the Touring Cup Kit, the rep said that the springs with this set is about the same as the sport spring, but still is a different spring than the sport spring you can buy separately.

This leaves me with a decision to make, I have searched for many examples and have gotten help from everyone on this forum which i appreciate. But still undecided, i know i want a kit because i am aware if you install just springs with the OE ZHP shocks, that will wear them out faster.

Anyone who has either Sport or Touring kit, please chime in on additional info you may have. Thanks

Pip
12-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Just as additional info on why you want the kit. Installing springs that aren't built for zhp suspension that is most likely worn out by now will ride like shit. It'll look great but with the time involved and having to do it two times instead of once you'll love yourself.

If I we're you I'd go get a tape measure and look at the advertise drops for each kit compared to your car. Also talk with nike01 and a couple others who have the sport cup kit for their measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
12-20-2012, 04:43 PM
He's looking at a cup KIT.

KIT = Shocks/dampeners and springs.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Pip
12-20-2012, 04:45 PM
^yup just adding info to support his excellent choice :) I'd say sport cup kit cuz it looks great for the money and a few users here say it rides well too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
12-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I have the Touring Cup Kit. That has Sport Springs. I like how much it lowers and the ride is still good.

Next level up is the Sport Cup Kit, which has the springs you mentioned, kinda in between, and exclusive to that setup (can't be bought separately). The ride height is the same as the Touring but the dampening rates, etc. are different.

Then, there are the Race springs with are a whole nother level and don't come in a "kit".

And yes, as you said, don't get one w/o the other in these cases, as your OEM shocks will indeed wear faster. The pic in my SIG is on the Race springs, which I switched out.

That is all.

Mtnman
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
I had touring kit on mine. Loved it. Lowered it perfectly while still acceptable as a dd. i put 20k on my car every year and these springs were the right choice for that situation.

D

nike001
12-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Sport Cup Kit checking in.

I love it. Can definitely tell it rides a bit harsher but I like it, since it's not any worse where any sane person would complain about it.

JimN9NE
12-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Anyone have a rake look? trying to avoid that. If so which kit do you have?

Sockethead
12-21-2012, 03:58 PM
I have H&R sport springs with Koni yellow adjustables and UUC sway bars.
It does have a raked look to it. I don't know why. The rear isn't as low as I thought it would be. I have to check the sway bar end links to see if its preloaded...

Vas
12-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Why not just get a complete set of coilovers?

danewilson77
12-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Why not just get a complete set of coilovers?

Most likely budget considerations.

LivesNearCostco
12-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I thought the H&R spring sets (including the cup kits) dropped the front more than the back, leading to a raked look. For example, drop 0.75" front and 0.25" rear?

I have H&R sport springs with Koni yellow adjustables and UUC sway bars.
It does have a raked look to it. I don't know why. The rear isn't as low as I thought it would be. I have to check the sway bar end links to see if its preloaded...

az3579
12-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Mine's pretty even. No rake that I can tell.

Mtnman
12-22-2012, 01:53 AM
I thought the H&R spring sets (including the cup kits) dropped the front more than the back, leading to a raked look. For example, drop 0.75" front and 0.25" rear?

It does, but if you look at our cars stock the fronts have gap and the rears are "tucked". Mind the gap. Close the gap. Goodness follows.

Torxuvin
12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
I'll probably just get coil-overs when I need to replace the suspension. The stock gap isn't too bad though. Way better than my vette.

JupiterBMW
03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Been reading up a lot on suspension setups. With my new wheels, the gap is a little more than I want, so I've been starting to look. I'm really growing more and more on the H&R springs, but not sure I want to go with a Cup Kit, as I feel I can do better on shocks... Anyone?

Turner has a pretty sweet looking setup, but then again, its $1250 for a fixed spring/shock setup... I feel like I can probably do it cheaper myself... Thoughts?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4794-e46-323325328330ici-99-03-assembled-hrbilstein-sport-suspension-package.aspx

nike001
03-11-2013, 06:01 AM
You probably can piece it yourself cheaper. The drop looks minimal as well.

If I were you I'd do shocks too. Assuming your shocks on your car now are OE... or at least old, then adding just springs will add a good amount of stress on them and they'll blow out soon anyways. Save yourself the time and labor and just do everything now instead of 2x when your shocks blow after you install your springs

Mtnman
03-11-2013, 06:27 AM
i did the h and r cup kit and liked it for the price. The drop was perfect (.75 from .25 rear) to me. However, if i had to do it again and had the $, i would do something adjustable/coilover. Dane has put on at least two different coil-over sets and can answer more about those.

However, i was very pleased with my cup kit (touring) from both an aesthetics perspective and performance/ride perspective. It was firm but not harsh.

johnrando
03-11-2013, 07:45 AM
i did the h and r cup kit and liked it for the price. The drop was perfect (.75 from .25 rear) to me. However, if i had to do it again and had the $, i would do something adjustable/coilover. Dane has put on at least two different coil-over sets and can answer more about those.

However, i was very pleased with my cup kit (touring) from both an aesthetics perspective and performance/ride perspective. It was firm but not harsh.

Jon, I'm on the touring cup kit and you've seen my car. I give it a :thumbsup. Not saying it's better or worse than what's out there. I did my research and that was a good price/performance compromise for me. If funds were unlimited, I'd go with coilovers. Of course, if funds were really unlimited, I'd be driving an Aston Martin. ;)

LivesNearCostco
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm very happy with my Ground Control coilover kit but the minimum list price of the kit is $1649, which includes struts and shocks, height adjusters, camber plates, your choice of linear springs, and RSMs. For the E46 M3 and E36 M3 they have cheaper kits that don't include camber plates or RSMs but those kits are not available for the E46 non-M. You can get their coilover conversion kit for $429 with springs and height adjusters, but you have to provide your own shocks, struts and camber plates if you need lots of camber adjustment. Note if you use the Ground Control coilover conversion kit with standard Koni sport (yellow) struts, you have to knock off the existing lower spring perches (easy) and grind off part of the swaybar link bracket.

Ultimately if you want to get $1100 coilovers, can't really get them from Ground Control ($1649), TRM ($1850), or TC Kline ($1776 without camber plates). Have to look at FK, ST, or BC Racing. I think Fortune Auto coilovers start at $1349.

If you just buy Koni sports and the GC coilover conversion kit separately and install with the stock strut mounts, should be about $750 + $429 = $1179 (less if you can find a cheaper price on the dampers or buy Koni STRT).

Johal E32
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Been reading up a lot on suspension setups. With my new wheels, the gap is a little more than I want, so I've been starting to look. I'm really growing more and more on the H&R springs, but not sure I want to go with a Cup Kit, as I feel I can do better on shocks... Anyone?

Turner has a pretty sweet looking setup, but then again, its $1250 for a fixed spring/shock setup... I feel like I can probably do it cheaper myself... Thoughts?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4794-e46-323325328330ici-99-03-assembled-hrbilstein-sport-suspension-package.aspx

The shocks that come with the cup kit are re-branded Bilstein Sport shocks. It doesn't get much better than that!

Vas
03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I was thinking of going this route however I want more adjustability. For those that do not care, this is a great set-up.

johnrando
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
The shocks that come with the cup kit are re-branded Bilstein Sport shocks. It doesn't get much better than that!

There are 2 H&R kits, the Touring Cup Kit and the Sport Cup Kit. Which (or both) are the rebranded Bilsteins?

Johal E32
03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
There are 2 H&R kits, the Touring Cup Kit and the Sport Cup Kit. Which (or both) are the rebranded Bilsteins?

I think both? I am fairly sure they both use the same shock, just different springs.

JupiterBMW
03-11-2013, 08:26 PM
I think both? I am fairly sure they both use the same shock, just different springs.

Hmmm, excellent to hear, thanks... I'll definitely look at them some more now... Appreciate the info everyone! Although, I'm starting to think about the PSS10 coilovers too... Hmmm...

328ioc
03-12-2013, 04:37 AM
Hmmm, excellent to hear, thanks... I'll definitely look at them some more now... Appreciate the info everyone! Although, I'm starting to think about the PSS10 coilovers too... Hmmm...

Check out the BC coilovers that we mentioned before. I know Charlie has them and Rob by me has them on his M5.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
03-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Oh yeah, I think that's right.

Vas
03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Fortune auto > BC racing.

danewilson77
03-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Fortune auto > BC racing.

Pretty bold.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

Vas
03-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Shock dyno that fortune auto provides proves it

Reckless
04-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Shock dyno that fortune auto provides proves it

Any more proof with that? Is that just with ride quality? Durability? Price? Shock Dyno take all of those into consideration?

~$1,000 for Full adjustable coil-overs with Adjustable Camber Plates and Adjustable dampening shocks and struts for the D2 and
~$1,500 for the Fourtune_Auto Coils with Adjustable Camber Plates and Adjustable dampening shocks and struts

Not being an A$$ but devils advocate and seeing if they are really worth the extra $500. I like what their site has to offer and looks temping. Anyone use them here?

Crestwood1001
04-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Anyone know the hight difference between the sport cup kit springs and the sport springs they sell separately? I'm on Koni yellows and zhp springs now looking for a little more drop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
04-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Anyone know the hight difference between the sport cup kit springs and the sport springs they sell separately? I'm on Koni yellows and zhp springs now looking for a little more drop

touring cup kit = sport springs
sport cup kit = special springs designed for sport kit. same lower as touring cup kit, but different dampening rates, stiffness, etc. Springs NOT sold separately
sport springs = can be sold separately. These are not the same springs as in the sport cup kit.
race springs = sold separately, not part of a "kit", much lower, higher rates, more stiffness, etc. My SIG pic is on race springs, have sinced switched to sport springs.

Crestwood1001
04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
touring cup kit = sport springs
sport cup kit = special springs designed for sport kit. same lower as touring cup kit, but different dampening rates, stiffness, etc. NOT sold separately
race springs = sold separately, not part of a "kit", much lower, higher rates, more stiffness, etc. My SIG pic is on race springs, have sinced switched to sport springs.

I might be wrong but I thought the springs iv seen sold separately were called sport not race, if race springs are very low I don't think they are right for me, I'm not looking for slammed, I'm just looking for a modest drop

johnrando
04-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh that's right, you CAN get the sport spring separately. What I meant was the spring that's in the Sport Cup Kit is not called the "sport "spring, it's a spring that you can't buy separately. So, you can buy the sport spring separately, but not the spring that's in the sport cup kit. Crazy, huh? I edited my post.

Crestwood1001
04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Oh that's right, you CAN get the sport spring separately. What I meant was the spring that's in the Sport Cup Kit is not called the "sport "spring, it's a spring that you can't buy separately. So, you can buy the sport spring separately, but not the spring that's in the sport cup kit. Crazy, huh? I edited my post.

Now we are on the same page haha, so what's the difference between the springs in the sport cup kit and the sport springs you can buy separately

az3579
04-23-2013, 01:08 AM
Now we are on the same page haha, so what's the difference between the springs in the sport cup kit and the sport springs you can buy separately

I thought they were both utilizing H&R Race springs . :dunno

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

johnrando
04-23-2013, 05:59 AM
I don't know the difference between those. I just know the ones in the sport cup kit were "specially designed" for that application. You'd probably have to ask them. Since I bought mine from Turner, I sent an email asking for re-verification of my data. I got this information from talking to H&R on the phone live a couple of years ago and I want to make sure I'm remembering it right.

nike001
04-23-2013, 06:11 AM

The springs in the cup kit were specifically designed for that application.

A lot of people think the springs in the cup kit are race springs, to which they are not. I believe his myth started because the cup kit springs and race springs are the same color.

Crestwood1001
04-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Got ya, I am gonna go out on a limb and say the springs in the sport cup kit and the separately available "Sport Springs" are not THAT much different. Where as the sport springs and the race springs are noticeably different.

johnrando
04-23-2013, 07:07 AM
H&R's site has drop info, etc. on it.