PDA

View Full Version : Shocks/Struts VS Coilovers

JimN9NE
12-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Need a new suspension. Anyone chime in, pros and cons would be great.

Hermes
12-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Most important question, how much are you willing to spend?

my choice:

http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs/photos/TCK_E46_DA_KIT_22.JPG

TC Kline Racing Smart Design D/A Coilover
http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs/Items/Details165.cfm

az3579
12-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Shocks/struts
Con: Fixed, non-adjustable
Pro: Cost is overall cheaper

Coilovers
Con: More expensive
Pro: Adjustable

JimN9NE
12-29-2012, 03:15 PM
im looking to spend no more than 1200 on the suspension. I have narrowed the searches to Koni Yellow/Eibach Pro-Kit Springs for the shock/strut combo and for the coilovers i have done little to no research on them. I have heard of KW Varient 1 Coilovers not sure how they ride though. I am looking for something a little lowered than my zhp and still retain ride quality, i wont be tracking and i have been scared away on many forums about a "bouncy ride," i def do not want it to bounce or feel "floaty."

Which of the two set-ups are more comfortable?

Hermes
12-29-2012, 03:19 PM
from what you will need in ride quality I would say coilovers are not necessary for you. Just look for a comfortable quality spring/shock combo in your price range. Koni's are a great choice, as for springs I'm not sure what rate you're looking for.

JimN9NE
12-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Ya i figured Coilovers seemed a little unnecessary but just wasn't sure, don't want to get the wrong suspension kit. Rather get the right one the first time. But ya i have seen Koni Sport (Yellow) and Koni FSD and not sure the difference. As for the Eibach Spring, i am sold with them as i love the height i have seen on other peoples cars.

Crickett
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
I, too, have been contemplating this for my eventual suspension refresh. I know the advantage of coilovers is their adjustability, but what does that adjustability gain you for a DD? (Yes, I'll probably do the occasional autocross & maybe even a HPDE at some point, but 99.99% of my ZHP's duty will be street.) I know you generally have a larger range of ride height adjustability, so you could dial in just the right amount of lowerz for asthetics. The ride height adjustability also gains you the ability to cornerbalance the car; is there any DD advantage to that? Better / more even tire wear?

The nerd in me is attracted to having the ability to tweak as much as possible on my car, but I think the (slightly) more practical side of my head thinks an H&R Touring Cup Kit would serve me quite well . . .

JimN9NE
12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
good points, totally agree. Most likely going with Koni Yellow/Eibach Pro Combo.

BCS_ZHP
12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
So I did an OEM refresh on my coupe back in Oct, reused the springs but replaced everything else - upper shock mounts, rear upper shock mounts, shocks & struts, spring mounting perches, new bump stops, etc. The total was about a grand in parts, the ride is great but it sits up like its an all-wheel drive. Given the choice again, I'd do coil overs and pick one like the PSS or KW1 that has near factory ride quality/comfort bit is adjustable for height. As a DD, I don't need the adjustability in stiffness, I'm an old geezer (per Mr. Wilson) and prefer not to rattle my tooth fillings.

Hermes
12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
another option that has become common with "older" BMW owners that want a drop, E9x and later upper spring perches... like 0.75-1.25" drop in front with no other mod. Not sure about exact amount but my buddy did it to his E30 and it looks amazing with his Billy HD's

p/n: 31 33 6 764 093

it should work the same way with our cars but not sure

edit: Manny's eta

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/328EEE43-95C4-434C-BCF2-68EE66ABCD4B-10303-00000D089AA89F28.jpg

danewilson77
12-29-2012, 06:49 PM
KW V1's, Koni orange or TC Kline's.

Vas
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
My vote is for fortune auto coilovers

M0nk3y
12-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Most important question, how much are you willing to spend?

my choice:

http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs/photos/TCK_E46_DA_KIT_22.JPG

TC Kline Racing Smart Design D/A Coilover
http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs/Items/Details165.cfm

I wouldn't recommend anything else. After driving a car fitted with DA suspension, it's stupid what you can do with it. I'll explain below:

I, too, have been contemplating this for my eventual suspension refresh. I know the advantage of coilovers is their adjustability, but what does that adjustability gain you for a DD? (Yes, I'll probably do the occasional autocross & maybe even a HPDE at some point, but 99.99% of my ZHP's duty will be street.) I know you generally have a larger range of ride height adjustability, so you could dial in just the right amount of lowerz for asthetics. The ride height adjustability also gains you the ability to cornerbalance the car; is there any DD advantage to that? Better / more even tire wear?

The nerd in me is attracted to having the ability to tweak as much as possible on my car, but I think the (slightly) more practical side of my head thinks an H&R Touring Cup Kit would serve me quite well . . .

Depends what coilovers you get. They all vary. KWs go by their version 1, 2 and 3. IIRC (and this is what I recall, check to confirm) this is the main difference:

Version 1: No damping adjustments
Version 2: Rebound Adjustment
Version 3: Compression and Rebound Adjustment

Rebound deals with your sprung weight (aka the car, engine, you...etc)
Compression deals with your unsprung weight (aka the wheel, brakes, rotors, tire)

The KW suspension deals with progressive springs. These are the same springs on your car now. The pound rate varies as you compress the spring. Linear springs do not vary these pound rates.

Well, you ask...what does this do with me? Progressive springs help the car with a softer ride (low pound rate) but when you push it the rate increase. Linear springs obviously do not do that. Depending on what spring you go with will determine your ride, somewhat.

The next comes with your shocks. A "spongey" ride will be contributed to a mis-matched shock. Mixing a matching springs and shocks can cause this. But I have no experience behind this.

The beauty behind adjustable coilovers is adjustability! lol. You're able to drive on the street with compression and rebound all the way to soft, and the ride will stiff (once again depending on spring rate), but nothing that is going to break your back. When you get to the track, crank up your adjustments and you have an extremely stiff set-up. The shocks are the magic behind how your ride is going to be. Poor shocks? Either going to be a rough ride or it's going to float.

Dual adjustables are really oriented for track/performance driving events. The ability to adjust compression can dial out understeer/oversteer with a couple of clicks. The rear end slipping out? reduce compression and it will stick like glue.

If you have the time to drive a car fitted with DA coilovers, you'll quickly see the benefits.

For a car that will only see the track/autocross once or twice, you will not be able to know how your car reacts to achieve the greatest effect with expensive suspension.

Just IMO. YMMV

Johal E32
12-29-2012, 07:41 PM
TCK S/A's with a decent spring rate are best for DD'ing. If you want to go on a twisty road and have some fun, then turn up the stiffness!

I think D/A's are awesome, but for DD"ing, IMO it's un-necessary.

Vas
12-29-2012, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend anything else. After driving a car fitted with DA suspension, it's stupid what you can do with it.

I would recommend JRZ suspension. Something along the lines of RS line but that is way out of the budget for the OP.

M0nk3y
12-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I would recommend JRZ suspension. Something along the lines of RS line but that is way out of the budget for the OP.

I can recommend AST 5300s. But sometimes things aren't realistic.

If you're not competitively racing for money, sponsors...etc there is no reason to spend in excess of $3k.

3ZHPGUY
12-29-2012, 09:06 PM
im looking to spend no more than 1200 on the suspension. I have narrowed the searches to Koni Yellow/Eibach Pro-Kit Springs for the shock/strut combo and for the coilovers i have done little to no research on them. I have heard of KW Varient 1 Coilovers not sure how they ride though. I am looking for something a little lowered than my zhp and still retain ride quality, i wont be tracking and i have been scared away on many forums about a "bouncy ride," i def do not want it to bounce or feel "floaty."

Which of the two set-ups are more comfortable?

If your not tracking the car I would go with the Koni Sports and H & R Sport springs however; your ride will get stiffer. This will be caused from the sprigs that you need to change out to get the car lower. The shocks and struts are adjustable so, you may be able to relieve some of the harshness from the springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
12-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I can recommend AST 5300s. But sometimes things aren't realistic.

If you're not competitively racing for money, sponsors...etc there is no reason to spend in excess of $3k.

I'm just saying....