PDA

View Full Version : June 29, 2012 - BMW CCA Driver's School at Lime Rock

az3579
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
This is the only recording I've ever had on track. I was told this was an acceptable mount (zip tied and suctioned in the small space where the interior alarm sensor thing would be), so I recorded a session. Then I had to take it down the next session because it wasn't as legal as I thought.

BMW CCA has the stupidest rules sometimes. A camera has to be hard mounted AND tethered. How dumb? Oh well. Here is the video of my one session. This was the day I was signed off to go solo the next track event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_hr9JL4WDM&feature=youtu.be

JupiterBMW
01-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Very excited to watch this as soon as Homeland is over... :) My wife and I are hooked on that show...

Side note, somewhat related... Someone near me just bought a Lime Rock edition ///M3. Such an amazing looking car!

az3579
01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Side note, somewhat related... Someone near me just bought a Lime Rock edition ///M3. Such an amazing looking car!

I have a Lime Rock Edition ZHP. Because, you know... it goes on Lime Rock. :shifty :biggrin
In that regard, it's also a Watkins Glen Edition ZHP.

JupiterBMW
01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Mine is an on-ramp curb edition ZHP. :facepalm

zhpnsnv
01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Great vid. Brings back fond memories - it's been too long since I've been there. I was always working on (@ the left) getting my steering input to be one single turn in then track out instead of turn in, turn in again, then track out.

az3579
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Great vid. Brings back fond memories - it's been too long since I've been there. I was always working on (@ the left) getting my steering input to be one single turn in then track out instead of turn in, turn in again, then track out.

I had to work on that for almost 2 years! Finally got it corrected. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
01-02-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm still working on that!

az3579
01-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Depends on the track as well. Some corners start relatively loose and get tighter and tighter as you get through the corner. I can think of two corners just at Lime Rock where you start with some steering input and have to tighten it up as you progress through the corner, namely Big Bend and the beginning/end of the left-hander.

zhpnsnv
01-02-2013, 07:07 AM
I used to make big bend two apexes until I found the balance with my car (cooper s) and upped the speed and took one single arc ending in the final apex. No idea if if was quicker for me but it felt better. Fwd cars are wonky.

Sent from the freaking Catalina wine mixer.

az3579
01-02-2013, 03:53 PM
They teach Big Bend as a double apex corner. For my car, I can't make it a large arc because my car understeers too much if I keep the speed up through the first section. The risk is if you go in too hot, you could end up off course and/or understeering like a pig, which is no fun. My car does the latter, which almost leads to the former if I do it like that. That's why I take it as a double apex with maintenance throttle in between apexes.