PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if sport/stiff shocks are dead?

Johnmadd
01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
When do yo know... they probably are worn on my e30, I think. This would pertain to any vehicle with sport shocks and struts with sprort lowering springs im thinking, not really a specific bmw question so any previous experience with anything similar would be great.

danewilson77
01-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Other than driveability... I would say if you pull them and manually test bound/rebound that would be informative. Additionally, if you saw evidence of fluid leakage, that would indicate need for replacement.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Johnmadd
01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
What would the drivability issues be? I do have a issue with that.

nike001
01-03-2013, 04:49 PM
It'll be really bouncy and wavy. It's usually really easy to tell.

Go out to the car and push down over each wheel. If it bounces and seems easy to get the shocks to compress.. they're bad. I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say if you're questioning them then it's time to replace them

Johnmadd
01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
It'll be really bouncy and wavy. It's usually really easy to tell.

Go out to the car and push down over each wheel. If it bounces and seems easy to get the shocks to compress.. they're bad. I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say if you're questioning them then it's time to replace them

They feel uneven. Because of the stiffness of the springs and shocks it is hard to make much rebound but also note there was zero bounce whatsoever when new. Also, I am thinking the same as you are, if I have to question it then they probably are gone but its hard to tell with this setup.