PDA

View Full Version : Shark Injector Installed

az3579
01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
For a while I've been racking my brain as to whether I should get the Shark Injector or the Sprint Booster for the effect I wanted, which was improved throttle response. Rev-matching was a pain in the ass and always resulted in a little jiggle as the clutch came back up due to the poor lack of response from the throttle during the blip.

I pulled the trigger and bought a Shark Injector for my E46. I bought it from Turner Motorsport (turnermotorsport.com) because they are located relatively close to me and because their price was pretty much the same as elsewhere. Bought it Monday evening, had it Wednesday night.

The benefits of a Shark Injector, according to the website, include:
* Raised redline
* Removed top speed limiter of 155mph
* Optimization for 91+ octane fuel
* Increase in horsepower and torque
* Increased throttle response
* Smoother running engine with fewer dead spots
* Easy installation / ability to restore to factory default
* Injector can be "upgraded" to accomodate additional mods

Cost: $299

After installation, I have noticed a few improvements. The number one thing that I was concerned with was throttle response. Let me be happy to report: The throttle response problem has been solved. I can now perform perfect rev-matches with ease, unlike before. I've been heel-and-toe downshifting all day with a major success rate of perfect shifts, which is a LOT more than could be said compared to stock.

The car does seem to have a very minimal added kick, mostly due to the elimination of a known (and very annoying) dead spot between ~3.5-4.5k rpm. I can now pull cleanly through the rev range without feeling any hesitation or dead spots.

I haven't tested the top-speed limiter removal, nor do I have any plans to. My rev-limit seems to have stayed the same, though on some sites they claim that a software update will not change the limit for the ZHP as it already has a raised limit. I could've sworn that I saw very close to 7k on the tach before fuel cutoff, so I'm not 100% sure on this. I will have to do further testing on the rev limit.

Installation was definitely an interesting thing. I had numerous problems with the install, not because it's difficult to install, but because of the hardware I was using. My battery was factory original, just over 6 years old. The car started and operated fine, but if you were to leave some accessories on without the engine running (heated seats, climate control, radio, etc.) for aout 10 minutes, the car wouldn't start anymore. Even with a battery charger hooked up and a fully charged battery, the software update would not complete due to a lack of voltage. There must be at a minimum of 12.5 constant volts at the battery for the update to complete. Otherwise, the shark will not update. It does a couple of voltage checks throughout the process, once before starting, and once after it has finished copying files but before it starts to reprogram.
I later learned my battery put out 12.4 volts when FULLY charged. It was time for a new battery. Even with the new battery (AutoZone 49DL [DuraLast yellow-top]), however, a charger is required. If that voltage isn't maintained during the programming phase, you run the risk of damaging your computer systems if the battery's voltage drops too much. The charger must provide at an absolute minimum 10amps, 20 if you have Daytime Running Lights enabled. For those of you with Angel Eyes, you will have to disconnect your angel eyes to prevent them from drawing too much power, as the lights will most likely be on during the process.

Overall, the flashing process took about 20-25 minutes, depending on whether you are actually standing there waiting for it to finish.

If anyone needs installation instructions, I will post them up. Until then, this should do.

kayger12
01-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

What battery did you end up going with?

az3579
01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I edited the post to include that information. It was a Duralast Yellow Top battery from AutoZone (model 49DL).

Alphatek45
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm sold. Its (one of the many things) on my list. Think I'm pulling the trigger!

az3579
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Think I'm pulling the trigger!

Don't think; dhuuuuuu eeeeeeeeeeeetttt.

pyreguy
01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I have been VERY pleased with mine. The dead spot being irradiated was the best thing EVER.

ZHP-FTW
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Or if you want a more "custom" tune you can go with AA like I did. Gave them my list of mods so they could tune my car accordingly. All the same benefits as the shark plus more. IMHO

RITmusic2k
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Dead spot, eh? Here I was thinking my VANOS might just be on the fritz and due for its seal job. I think I'm gonna need to find a local member for a quick ridealong to help me determine how well-sorted my car actually is...

az3579
01-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Dead spot, eh? Here I was thinking my VANOS might just be on the fritz and due for its seal job. I think I'm gonna need to find a local member for a quick ridealong to help me determine how well-sorted my car actually is...

VANOS seals should still be done. You could still restore a little bit of power by doing the seals, and do the anti-rattle kit while you're at it.
I think the "dead spot" I mention was a common problem since the car was new. Not sure on this, but I've heard about it a LOT.

Lately I've noticed that the dead spot isn't actually 100% gone, but it was helped a LOT by the programming. My guess is that it would gone when I do the VANOS seals.

RITmusic2k
01-31-2011, 02:01 AM
Good advice. I actually noticed some other indications, so I'll probably be doing this as soon as my tax return comes in :-p

MrMaico
02-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Hmmm.....I've wondered if the Shark would eliminate the dead spot at 4000, the one that requires BMW to ship your DME to Jersey for the fix. I didn't really notice it on mine when I got it but do feel it SOMETIMES lately. Living so far from a dealer makes it tough for me to do the factory fix.

If, like you guys are saying, it fixes that dead spot I just might have to get one.

The AA software would be nice too, may even be better than the Shark but again your sending your DME off to be programmed and it costs $200 more.

Thanks.....Barry

Rovert
02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
I've had my vehicle Powerchipped by a well known tuner in California. He has now started his own company called OEtuning.com which they just tuned a 330i recently...check it out on their blog within the site. I haven't spoke to him for over a year so I guess knowledge and wisdom has been gained since my last tune with him. The main thing I got out of my ECU upgrade was:

1. Increased throttle response
2. Marginally smoother VANOS transition,
3. Adjust timing to optimize for 94 octane
4. More air to fuel mixture (increased torque & better fuel consumption)
5. Increased throttle body opening to maximum (Deeper sound on throttle - I recall him saying OEM opens to 80%)

He did not increase redline as he feels 200RPM is nothing unless I was in track conditions. Example, dragging a quarter mile if I had to change gears just before crossing and raising the redline would mean I could pass the finish within that raised redline zone, it would help in times. As well as in a corner I may have to upshift just before a corner where with a raised redline I could stay in gear and have maximum power coming out of the turn instead of the lowest power of the next gear.

His price is just under $450 but the ZHP ECU must be taken out physically to modify instead of programming through the ECU port compared to a 330 without ZHP package. This was my ECU after it was taken out, taken apart, and docked with his custom made stand where you can see the pins contacting the appropriate place of the ZHP ECU circuit board:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2539/3968252058_2e3fe2d812_z.jpg?zz=1

danewilson77
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
With those benefits I would consider shipping him mine. Maybe he could become our chip/tuning sponsor?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Rovert
02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I'll contact him and see what he can do. My good friends here locally are dealers of the product. If everyone lived in Vancouver I could get a group buy rate...LOL. But it's hard to do all this stuff long distance. He will tune according to the mods you have on your car so every tune is special to your car. But programming isn't as easy as Shark or Spintbooster. It's really nice if he is acutally there with your car on the Dyno. I watched him graph out and adjust timing to my whole rev range on his computer while comparing it to the dyno chart as my car sat patiently on the dyno....it was really awesome!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3968252172_19b7f768bd_z.jpg?zz=1

I think that most products are good given user/customer feedback. Shark has had great success and has gained a respectful reputation to the market. Whatever price point you upgrade your car's programming at will hopefully get what you pay for. Sprint booster is the cheapest as it connects to your throttle and increases voltage to boost the throttle response. Shark is a bit more expensive which does even more stuff to tune the car. Then OEtuning which is even more will provide even custom updates with options. It's all in how much do you want to pay and what YOU as a driver want out of it.

pyreguy
02-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I would think this is the way to go if you can live without your ECU for the time being. Excellent info... glad to know this exists.

Johnmadd
02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
I see shark in the VERY NEAR future.

az3579
02-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Hmmm.....I've wondered if the Shark would eliminate the dead spot at 4000, the one that requires BMW to ship your DME to Jersey for the fix. I didn't really notice it on mine when I got it but do feel it SOMETIMES lately. Living so far from a dealer makes it tough for me to do the factory fix.

Ya know, right after installing it, I felt as though the dead spot was gone. Now, I don't notice, probably because I've gotten used to there being some power there when there wasn't before.
I'll test it out tomorrow and will let you know for sure.

MrMaico
02-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Ya know, right after installing it, I felt as though the dead spot was gone. Now, I don't notice, probably because I've gotten used to there being some power there when there wasn't before.
I'll test it out tomorrow and will let you know for sure.

Sounds good. Thanks BP!

az3579
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Barry,
I have confirmed that the dead spot that was painfully obvious before the flashing... is gone.
Shark fixes that issue, or at least it did in my car.

Keep in mind I haven't done VANOS seals yet. They are most likely factory original.

danewilson77
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM
If anyone needs installation instructions, I will post them up. Until then, this should do.

I think I'm going to chip my car when you're here in two weeks.

adb1028
02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Cost: $299
Was this during a sale? Looks like the prices have gone up to $350 everywhere

The car does seem to have a very minimal added kick, mostly due to the elimination of a known (and very annoying) dead spot between ~3.5-4.5k rpm. I can now pull cleanly through the rev range without feeling any hesitation or dead spots.

I would love to get rid of this, but the funny thing about it is that if you look at the dyno on Turner's website, the dead spot is still shown. I thought it would've been fixed.

Jet Moto
02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I had the same question about the pricing so I contacted a vendor. $299 was a special price that was offered for barely over a year. Prices officially went up to $349 on January 1, 2011 because Jim wanted to be more in line with the rest of the industry in terms of pricing.

az3579
02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
I think I'm going to chip my car when you're here in two weeks.

Did you order it? Do you have a battery tender/charger? How old is your battery?

Was this during a sale? Looks like the prices have gone up to $350 everywhere

I had the same question about the pricing so I contacted a vendor. $299 was a special price that was offered for barely over a year. Prices officially went up to $349 on January 1, 2011 because Jim wanted to be more in line with the rest of the industry in terms of pricing.

No, I did not buy mine under "special" pricing. In fact, I ordered mine on January 17th, 17 days after the supposed price change. I got mine from Turner Motorsport. Just checked, and their "sale" price right now is ~$350. Lame; it was already priced too much IMO when I bought mine.

I would love to get rid of this, but the funny thing about it is that if you look at the dyno on Turner's website, the dead spot is still shown. I thought it would've been fixed.

Alex,
I can't tell you what a dyno says. What I can tell you is that my arse no longer feels the dead spot that was painfully obvious before. That means there is a dramatic enough of a change for one to think that dead spot is gone.

I haven't dyno'ed my car so I have absolutely no idea if the numbers agree with this, but what I can tell you is that I'm 110% happy with the improvement.

danewilson77
02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Did you order it? Do you have a battery tender/charger? How old is your battery?

This week. Yes. 6 months.

az3579
02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
This week. Yes. 6 months.

Sweet. I still have the procedure and the box the Shark came in flown around in my trunk. I've been waaaaaay too lazy to clean it out, so I also still have the carpets the wheel finisher gave me so I didn't mess up my interior while transporting my newly painted wheels in November. lol

Come to think of it... and my old carpet mats are back there too.

Either way, we could easily take care of that while I'm there, DW. It's super simple.

danewilson77
02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Nice....that's what I am hoping....

Jet Moto
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Seems like many vendors were late getting the memo. I actually bought my for $299 with free shipping from BMP Design on the 1st Friday in February. Oddly enough on the following Monday, the price went to $349.

az3579
02-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Seems like many vendors were late getting the memo. I actually bought my for $299 with free shipping from BMP Design on the 1st Friday in February. Oddly enough on the following Monday, the price went to $349.

Looks like you got it just in time.
Good catch!

MrMaico
02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Barry,
I have confirmed that the dead spot that was painfully obvious before the flashing... is gone.
Shark fixes that issue, or at least it did in my car.

Keep in mind I haven't done VANOS seals yet. They are most likely factory original.

Thanks Botond! Looks like I might have to get me a Shark ordered. I wish I'd have bought one before the price increase.
Might have to get one from BMP Design, they give a 10% BMWCCA discount.

Barry

jvr826
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
A few comments...

- Good to hear the throttle blip has been resolved by the Shark Injector. When driving on the street it's more than a little annoying when you blip the throttle and it responds with "I don't think so buddy! Try again!!"

- The 4k power dip is a well documented problem with the original ZHP tune, even on newer cars like mine. I had it fixed under warranty a few years ago by having the ECU reprogrammed thru a dealer who shipped it to NJ. A "PUMA" case was required and this problem was only addressed on a customer complaint basis.

- The instructions for the Shark Install, at least at Turner Motorsport, clearly state a 10amp or higher battery charger is required to install the software. This makes sure there is no power loss during the process. A trickle charger is not adequate.

I've attached a dyno sheet for a ZHP running the Shark Injector. This was provided to me by someone at Turner when the software was first released.

danewilson77
02-22-2011, 10:10 AM
So that's a before and after only adding the chip?

That shows a 14.5Hp gain?

Rovert
02-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm still having a hard time believing that! Damn.....Why did I get a measly 6-8HP. :(

danewilson77
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
So.....after being a bit of a part of this thread......I am now going to ask you all a very serious question.

Really.

This is serious sheeeet right here.....

Does it make any sense to do the software update at the dealer AFTER you get a Shark performance chip?

Or do we now think the Shark pretty much takes care of the known issues?

Rovert
02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I know OEtuning programs the ECU physically so BMW would not know. Any basic upgrade won't wipe out OE's program. But should something happen or you add mods and want to change the tuning he gives you one or two free retunes as well as a couple years of warranty if the program is wiped out by the dealer.

RITmusic2k
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Oh, so the Conforti unit isn't a full overwrite then? If not, I guess I should get DME as up to date as possible first, then start injecting all those sharks, huh?

EDIT: and/or the other way around? Getting an update from the dealer won't necessarily overwrite the sections that the shark injector modified?

ZSP-Mafia
02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh, so the Conforti unit isn't a full overwrite then? If not, I guess I should get DME as up to date as possible first, then start injecting all those sharks, huh?

EDIT: and/or the other way around? Getting an update from the dealer won't necessarily overwrite the sections that the shark injector modified?

I think that is incorrect. I believe the conforti software is pretty much a complete reprogramming of the ECU. The shark injector comes with a sticker to put on your obdII port so that the dealership doesn't accidentally overwrite the software.

danewilson77
02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Good discussion fella's. This is what I am talking about.

az3579
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I think that is incorrect. I believe the conforti software is pretty much a complete reprogramming of the ECU. The shark injector comes with a sticker to put on your obdII port so that the dealership doesn't accidentally overwrite the software.

Mine didn't come with said sticker.
Either way, I don't see a reason to bring my car in for this problem, and I definitely would complain about it if it still was a problem.

Dane,
The Shark allows you to revert to stock settings, and as long as it's the same VIN, you can flash/reflash/revert as many times as you want. So, it doesn't matter if you go to the dealer first or if you Shark first; you can always apply the Shark whenever you want. I do believe it's a full reprogram. I'm not sure of what the dealer does to fix this 4k dip, but I have a feeling that the Shark would override it. This I don't know for certain, but it would definitely be the logical answer.

Nivo
02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Has anyone attributed the 4k rpms dip to the cam timing switch over from low to high? Very common on Dual variable valve timing cars.
I see that everywhere it is considered an issue with the car or software but I just think it is the way the valve timing was tuned from the factory.

It does make a difference on how a car feels gaining like 20-30wtq at the switch over point.

az3579
02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Has anyone attributed the 4k rpms dip to the cam timing switch over from low to high? Very common on Dual variable valve timing cars.
I see that everywhere it is considered an issue with the car or software but I just think it is the way the valve timing was tuned from the factory.

It does make a difference on how a car feels gaining like 20-30wtq at the switch over point.

If that's the case, then they did an incredibly poor job tuning that part of the rev range. If the Shark got rid of it, that makes it a programming issue, so shame on BMW for not doing it right the first time.

I thought this only affected *some* cars, not all?

Rovert
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I've never felt that when I bought my car from the dealership untouched. Noone who drove it or rode in my car ever felt a dip through the rev-range. I just feel like there's some power....then 3K hits, there's more power, then 4.5K hits and it's like turbo just spooled up and kicked in. :D I don't mind it. It's not as abrupt as a turbo.

Nivo
02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
If that's the case, then they did an incredibly poor job tuning that part of the rev range. If the Shark got rid of it, that makes it a programming issue, so shame on BMW for not doing it right the first time.

I thought this only affected *some* cars, not all?

Here is a celica GTS dyno, you can see the switch point. Normal on Factory VVT cars, a bit of cam timing is all that is needed.

Toyota

This is also true for Hondas, GM etc

GM

kayger12
02-22-2011, 02:37 PM

My limited understanding-- and I stress LIMITED-- is that with the Vanos system there is no low to high switch over point such as with the Honda VTEC-- instead the cams are constantly being adjusted by the Vanos which is a constantly variable system. Always read that's what makes Vanos superior to VTEC and similar systems. Feel free to jump in if I'm misinformed...

az3579
02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Here is a celica GTS dyno, you can see the switch point. Normal on Factory VVT cars, a bit of cam timing is all that is needed.

Toyota

This is also true for Hondas, GM etc

GM

My statement stands. If it's fixable with a software flash (such as the Shark), why didn't BMW just tune it like that from the factory?
Same goes with all of the other makes.

Before the flash, I had all the power I know of, then between 3 and 4k, the power dipped severely, and then came back with the same force/severity as before. Literally, was losing power in that range. It "transitioning" isn't supposed to be "losing" power. For those cars, I'm sure they're pretty weak from the lower end to begin with, so the power only "increases", but for my car, it was literally "losing" it.

I've never driven those other cars though so I can't tell you if they really do "lose" it or only "increase" it.

Plus, with what Keith said about there not being a VANOS switchover point, I would tend to agree with him. The S50 in my E30 didn't have any of that rubbish; it just went like a bat out of hell with no loss of power.

I'm just trying to find a logical explanation... lol

Nivo
02-22-2011, 02:51 PM
My statement stands. If it's fixable with a software flash (such as the Shark), why didn't BMW just tune it like that from the factory?
Same goes with all of the other makes.

Before the flash, I had all the power I know of, then between 3 and 4k, the power dipped severely, and then came back with the same force/severity as before. Literally, was losing power in that range. It "transitioning" isn't supposed to be "losing" power. For those cars, I'm sure they're pretty weak from the lower end to begin with, so the power only "increases", but for my car, it was literally "losing" it.

I've never driven those other cars though so I can't tell you if they really do "lose" it or only "increase" it.

Plus, with what Keith said about there not being a VANOS switchover point, I would tend to agree with him. The S50 in my E30 didn't have any of that rubbish; it just went like a bat out of hell with no loss of power.

I'm just trying to find a logical explanation... lol

with the double variable cam timing there technically should not be a dip as the cams are always adjusting for best, broadest torque curve (switch point is always adjusting). But sometimes there is a blip in the software. This is why tuners tend to flatten that area with a tune.

az3579
02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
with the double variable cam timing there technically should not be a dip as the cams are always adjusting for best, broadest torque curve (switch point is always adjusting). But sometimes there is a blip in the software. This is why tuners tend to flatten that area with a tune.

Ah. That's what I thought it was... thanks for the clarification.

jvr826
02-22-2011, 08:25 PM
For me the 4k dip was only on hard acceleration. Like going flat out up a freeway entrance ramp and rowing the gears. In normal driving it never surfaced. Here's the TIS data from Fanatics...

Service Measure
Engine Electrical B12 209 05 04/06/2005
Subject
M54B30 MS45.1; Engine Power Drops at 4000 RPM

Vehicle
E46, E60 with M54B30 and manual transmission.

Complaint
Customer may complain of an engine power drop at approximately 4000 rpm during aggressive acceleration.

Cause
Ignition timing retardation due to unfavorable tolerances of DISA valve flap shaft. Vibrations of a DISA valve are interpreted by the knock sensor system as detonation combustion.

Measure
On a customer complaint basis, replace DISA valve with the improved part (PN 11 61 7 544 805).
After DISA replacement, connect vehicle to DIS/GT1 and from DME identification page retrieve the programmed and basic DME part numbers.
Reprogram DME with the latest available DTS CD! SSS CIP software version. DME programming should last for at least 20 minutes and should result in both programmed and basic control unit number changes. Reprogramming of DME clears the long-term knock sensors adaptations. If the knock adaptation values are not cleared, the vehicle will still exhibit the power lack complaint, even with the improved DISA valve installed.

Important:
In the event the DME programming takes only a short period of time (approximately 5 minutes), and the basic control unit part number has not been changed, the adaptation clearing process has not been accomplished.

In such a case, contact Technical Hotline — Drive train via a PuMA case, requesting authorization for DME shipment to Engineering Department for reprogramming. For the PuMA case title use the following: MS45.1 DME KNOCK ADAPTATION RESET”.

I don't think my DISA was replaced when mine was dealt with at the dealer. My car is an April 2005 build, but apparently the DME update didn't make it into the production line before my car was manufactured.

The Shark dyno I posted was for only the software afaik. And yeah, of course they are going to share the best result. The pulls were done on two different days under very different conditions. Day one was in the 70's, day two in the 90's. Dyno's aren't all that... yhpatqmv of course. I was going to get the software and do pre and post dyno pulls, but the local place I called wanted a ridiculous amount of money per dyno run, so I never went for it.

The new shark injector saves your old tune so you can revert back at any time, and then put the shark back on again if you want. It's married to your ECU, so it can't be done on two different cars. They also have a USB connection so you can get updates from Turner if any are released. I don't know if there is a cost for the updates, good question to ask.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I just posted this up in the classifieds section. Shark Injector software for sale (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1322-For-Sale-Shark-Injector-ECU-software-two-hours-left-on-auction-no-bids).

adb1028
02-23-2011, 06:33 PM
So has BMW officially fixed 4k dip along with the other problem associated with the original ZHP tune in the latest DME updates?

kaboom
02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi guys,

You wouldn't want to compare the double Vanos system on the BMW to honda's VTEC or the VVT-i on the Celica GTS. Both of those systems use two different cam profiles completely, and switch from a low duration, low overlap cam to a high lift, high overlap cam lobe given certain conditions. Toyota and honda both also use variable valve timing on other engines, but the variable valve lift is what makes both honda and toyota's VTEC and VVTI (in some cars) system so dramatic (and good).

There is no "switchover point" for our double vanos cars, so I'm curious what the glitch is that could be causing that power dip. It would take a massive ignition timing drop out in order to cause that, and on an NA car, erratic air fuel almost certainly won't!

Ian

INDY|UND3RGROUND
02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I was wondering what was going on when I'd rev match and get a little jerk, but when I drive my friends m3 or mini jcw I never had a problem. Thank you for resolving my question OP!

MasterC17
03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
With the Shark Injector do you get any level of customization?

danewilson77
03-05-2011, 11:45 AM
With the Shark Injector do you get any level of customization?

No

Hornung418
03-05-2011, 12:50 PM
If hackers didn't pirate the Shark Edit...then we could have full range of customization :(

MasterC17
03-05-2011, 12:53 PM
If hackers didn't pirate the Shark Edit...then we could have full range of customization :(

So is the Shark Edit at all available? It looked like in early 2010 it would be released but nothing yet. Do they not want to release it because people would just download without paying for it? Seems like a rather lame excuse. I'd love to be able to customize it for my needs but if not looks like I'll have to look somewhere else.

danewilson77
03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
No

So is the Shark Edit at all available? It looked like in early 2010 it would be released but nothing yet. Do they not want to release it because people would just download without paying for it? Seems like a rather lame excuse. I'd love to be able to customize it for my needs but if not looks like I'll have to look somewhere else.

az3579
03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Define customize... if you add mods and want the chip reprogrammed, send it back and they'll do it for you for a fee, though not full price.

ZSP-Mafia
03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Define customize... if you add mods and want the chip reprogrammed, send it back and they'll do it for you for a fee, though not full price.

I've been wanting to do this with mine and I spent hours trying to find more info. Do you have a link with more info?

danewilson77
03-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I've been wanting to do this with mine and I spent hours trying to find more info. Do you have a link with more info?

Go to Turner Motor Sports. They have a pretty good writeup on it with FAQ's...etc....

florida2002m3
03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Been reading alot on this on e46fanatics..... I can see the gains for a non-ZHP. But for a ZHP it appears that all you really get is less noticeable dip at 4K, and much less throttle delay.

Is it worth $350 when you can pickup headers or underdrive pulleys for around the same price and get actual HP increase?
Not saying its not worth it if money isnt an issue.

How much is the BMW update that also fixes the 4K dip?
Anyone have any Dyno numbers for the ZHP before and after?
Better fuel mileage?

danewilson77
03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I would pay double for it......

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1471-Shark-Injector-Information-Event.

pyreguy
03-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Getting an erection every time I drive my car since I got my Shark installed is something I still have to get used to...

az3579
03-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Getting an erection every time I drive my car since I got my Shark installed is something I still have to get used to...

Hmm, my car isn't a diesel so I can't quite say the same...
Thanks for the tidbit though. Good to know that the Shark provides satisfaction in many ways... :rofl

ZSP-Mafia
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM

As long as it doesn't last longer than 4 hours, you should be alright. :)

kaboom
03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
I really need to just pony up and dyno it before/after to get solid results. Cooling system first, though.

Ian

INDY|UND3RGROUND
03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
No

That's why I'm going with the AA tune ;)

ZHP-FTW
03-22-2011, 11:10 PM
That's why I'm going with the AA tune ;)

Yeah, I really like my AA tune, Viral customized it for me. I told him what mods I had and what I wanted and he gave me a nice tune. Probably as close as you can get to a true custom dyno tune without actually getting on a dyno. :)

INDY|UND3RGROUND
05-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I really like my AA tune, Viral customized it for me. I told him what mods I had and what I wanted and he gave me a nice tune. Probably as close as you can get to a true custom dyno tune without actually getting on a dyno. :)

Got the same thing from viral and I couldn't agree more!

ZHP-FTW
05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Got the same thing from viral and I couldn't agree more!

Do you have any mods?

INDY|UND3RGROUND
05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Do you have any mods?

Yes, AA headers and AA exhaust, dinan highflow intake, and tms pulleys

norman@southbayBMW
05-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Whats the horse power gain with shark injector????

az3579
06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Dyno results show about a 3.4hp gain (according to the results on Turner Motorsport's site on a 330i E46) with just the software and about 8.1hp gain with an intake and software.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/dyno/E46330_shark.pdf

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Dyno results show about a 3.4hp gain (according to the results on Turner Motorsport's site on a 330i E46) with just the software and about 8.1hp gain with an intake and software.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/dyno/E46330_shark.pdf

With these stickers...ends up being right around 20Hp gain.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2814-Sticker-Thread-(New-Style-Stickers)

Marcus-SanDiego
06-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Wait, BP has not ordered stickers (aka HP booster)?

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Nope. Never got an order. Such an easy gain too....

Alphatek45
06-02-2011, 03:34 PM
So, I'm ready to buy my S.I
I just installed MY BMW CAI. If I'm buying the software now, should I order it programmed for a CAI? Or is that something I manually select when installing?
I'm pretty sure you can download updates as you mod the vehicle ie. exhaust, headers etc. but I dont see any software support on the sites that sell the product.What am I missing?

Thanks

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 03:44 PM
It has no programmable features. Just buy it and install it. Make sure you have constant voltage battery charger.

Alphatek45
06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Gotcha. I really want to say I saw a video explaining that the software is expandable as you mod the car. Oh well...

Alphatek45
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-N-rMx0YwQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

M3 only?

az3579
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
It has no programmable features. Just buy it and install it. Make sure you have constant voltage battery charger.

Dane -
Where did you get that from? The Shark Injector is most definitely upgradeable. It's in their FAQ.

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Upgradeable maybe....but programmable as you mod? IDK.

If it is upgradeable........Show me where the upgrade is...cuz I want it.

I thought we beat this to death in the other "chip" thread.

Alphatek45
06-02-2011, 05:48 PM
From turners site:
+ Upgrade-able via USB connection with your PC - add a file to better suit your mods

Where is the magical place for files? The saga continues...

MrMaico
06-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Dane -
Where did you get that from? The Shark Injector is most definitely upgradeable. It's in their FAQ.

Link?

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 05:56 PM
From turners site:
+ Upgrade-able via USB connection with your PC - add a file to better suit your mods

This is my point. I bought the USB cable....but I think what they meant to say was' "Hey fella's, if we ever put together an upgrade, you can use this USB cord to upload it".

It most definetly does not mean...."Upgrade as you mod"

MrMaico
06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
From turners site:

OK, now I see that. No mention of anything like that in the FAQ though for some reason.

KevinC
05-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Reviving this 4-year old thread in anticipation of my Shark injection on Monday the 1st. I'm REALLY hoping to cure the 4k dip, which is severe in my car, always has been. I bought it 3 years ago with 52k miles, and one of the first preventive maintenance things I did was refresh the DISA with the GAS "DISA Gold" valve. The 4k dip has never been cured. I've been reflashed once by my indy as well to ensure that I have the latest factory software, and clear adaptations. No help. So I'm really hoping this is the magic bullet. Full review to come Monday night.

JB3
05-31-2015, 03:43 AM
Well then in for updates. Any reason you didn't go the Eurocharged route?

KevinC
05-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Well then in for updates. Any reason you didn't go the Eurocharged route?

a) never heard of it, and b) this was an opportunistic purchase, when the Shark turned up for sale here for a good price. And Jim Conforti has a stellar reputation in the BMW world. We'll see what I think of him shortly. ;)

BMWCurves
05-31-2015, 08:41 AM
a) never heard of it, and b) this was an opportunistic purchase, when the Shark turned up for sale here for a good price. And Jim Conforti has a stellar reputation in the BMW world. We'll see what I think of him shortly. ;)

Interested in what you think once it's installed. I bought one from TMS because it was on sale, but Seth has me considering going the Eurocharged route. Have to decide soon if I should return it.

KevinC
06-01-2015, 05:49 PM
OK, the deed is done. Initial impressions? General drivability GREATLY enhanced. Throttle response is much better in routine driving. Never really considered the drive-by-wire in my car to be at all bad, but in comparison, it stunk compared to how it feels now. For example, the car just feels a LOT more alive immediately after shifting into 2nd at normal cruising velocities.

As for the dreaded 4k dip that I'm hoping to cure - I only got to put my foot into it a couple of times so far, but it's still there, at least slightly. This was in 105-degree heat with the AC blasting, maybe not the best conditions to get a fair read, so I'll drive it some more before I pass judgment on that issue, but if it's not (largely) resolved, I'll be disappointed. Stay tuned.

FL116
06-01-2015, 06:03 PM
OK, the deed is done. Initial impressions? General drivability GREATLY enhanced. Throttle response is much better in routine driving. Never really considered the drive-by-wire in my car to be at all bad, but in comparison, it stunk compared to how it feels now. For example, the car just feels a LOT more alive immediately after shifting into 2nd at normal cruising velocities.

As for the dreaded 4k dip that I'm hoping to cure - I only got to put my foot into it a couple of times so far, but it's still there, at least slightly. This was in 105-degree heat with the AC blasting, maybe not the best conditions to get a fair read, so I'll drive it some more before I pass judgment on that issue, but if it's not (largely) resolved, I'll be disappointed. Stay tuned.

Glad to hear the car feels more alive. Ill be waiting for more updated impressions.

ecrabb
06-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Glad to hear the car feels more alive. Ill be waiting for more updated impressions.

Ditto!

SC

KevinC
06-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Driven some more now (though I've also been driving the "other" car lately, talk about a way to make your ZHP feel limp), and is definitely a big improvement over stock. The 4k hesitation is still there, but it's improved. I'm running some Techron through it now, and trying to drive it a bit more aggressively, hoping that will perhaps help some too. I'll update again in another week or so.

johnrando
06-10-2015, 06:33 AM
:thumbsup

Sockethead
06-10-2015, 07:10 AM
There will always be a little blip around 4-4.5k. That's when the DISA valve opens...
I had the dip "fixed" at the dealer.. They sent it to BMWNA for rework. It was still there after that. Rebuilding the DISA helped a lot but I think that transition is always going to be there

cakM3
06-10-2015, 07:14 AM
There will always be a little blip around 4-4.5k. That's when the DISA valve opens...
I had the dip "fixed" at the dealer.. They sent it to BMWNA for rework. It was still there after that. Rebuilding the DISA helped a lot but I think that transition is always going to be there

I think I need to get the GAS DISA rebuild kit for my ZHP....

ELCID86
06-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Yes you do. :-)

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

wsmeyer
06-10-2015, 12:34 PM

I don't have any sort of dip at 4k or anywhere for that matter. Here's a run through 4k in 2nd and 3rd.

https://vimeo.com/130369360

slater
06-10-2015, 01:01 PM
nice and linear, william! do you have the shark injector tune?

i'll have to post a video of mine. i have a slight dip but it seems quite a bit quicker overall than yours.

peter

KevinC
06-10-2015, 07:47 PM

I have the full-on DISA "Gold" from GAS, a brand new DISA with the kit preinstalled. Didn't help when I added it 3 years ago.

wsmeyer
06-10-2015, 07:54 PM
nice and linear, william! do you have the shark injector tune?

i'll have to post a video of mine. i have a slight dip but it seems quite a bit quicker overall than yours.

peter

Very happy with how linear it is. I don't know what the magic was but it seemed everything helped a little :

DME New Jersey fix
Shark injector
New CCV
DISA rebuild

Verts are a little heavier so not as fast but should be close

slater
06-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Very happy with how linear it is. I don't know what the magic was but it seemed everything helped a little :

DME New Jersey fix
Shark injector
New CCV
DISA rebuild

Verts are a little heavier so not as fast but should be close

cool. i'm hoping to get my DME reflashed (the 'jersey fix') by alex here on the forum sometime soon. will have to uninstall the shark first, then reinstall after the flash...

peter

johnrando
06-11-2015, 06:05 AM
William added the vulcan mind meld mod to his car and 'Willed' the 4K dip away.

BMWCurves
06-11-2015, 07:56 AM
I hope to get mine installed next week, I'll report back with my own review. I used to have the 4k dip, but was driving around last night and decided to run through the gears and I could not sense it at all in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at FOT. Not sure where it went :dunno.

Not complaining though.

fredo
06-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Not complaining though.

:rofl

Sockethead
06-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Thinking about it, I wouldn't say my car has a dip... Seems more like a surge of more power. I definitely feel that it's when the DISA opens. The only thing I haven't done on the list posted above is CCV.
I have the Dinan stage 3 software so who knows if that has something to do with it...

slater
06-17-2015, 05:29 AM
finally took a little video.

the car has the shark injector tune, aFe intake, VANOS rebuild, custom CCV setup.

first and second gear, from 3k RPM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNoxpVy9Ik&feature=em-upload_owner

just second gear pull, from 3k RPM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVO43zSYhbk&feature=em-upload_owner

dip does not seem present in videos, it is not really consistent, which is odd.

peter

Rovert
06-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Gawd I miss the sound of the M54B30.

2wenty
11-23-2015, 05:35 AM
I dont know if this has been answered but Im curious. I have have an obd2 gauge that shows the TPS sensor. In stock from it won't go above 84% floored at anywhere in the RPM range. I just read that in stock form the throttle body doesn't open all the way. Is this true? And if so does the Shark address this?

Im really thinking about a tune. My power is utter garbage. Its very spotty. I even noticed the car is slower if I put the pedal to the floor all the way compared to when I floor it and lift of the pedal a little to about 80% the car accelerates faster. God, this just reminds me of how much I hate electronic throttles. Its more of a suggestions that an actual action. Makes me miss my e30.

johnrando
11-23-2015, 08:21 AM
The sprint booster or pedal box will address the throttle lag due to the electronic throttle. They don't address performance. A tune will address performance (minor improvement, but improvements none the less). A tune will not address throttle lag.

ELCID86
11-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Read the PB/SB threads (and then go PB! :roundel )

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

FungShui
01-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Just sharked my car last week after purchasing the injector over the holidays.l The process is painless and straight forward. As recommended by many members, it is best to reread read the instructions a couple times before starting the process. I also found this video of of someone sharking their M5 for reference. Certainly made me feel better about flashing by myself. -= Link: https://youtu.be/cfZnsB4aNbg =-

Difficulty: Easy and straight forward just as easy as replacing your battery. It is basically the same process as the video except we I didn't have to pull any fuses because I have a manual ZHP. Due to the age of my battery, I was not able to flash in the first try. The voltage of my battery dropped too low during the flashing process and and the system aborted twice. I ended up purchasing a new battery from Napa. FWIW, the rep said are discontinuing their Napa AGM battery. So i ended up picking up a Interstate MTP-94R.

The total process of flashing took 16 minutes starting from plugging in the injector into the ODB II port and disconnecting the battery and pulling the injector out.

Alternatively, in the local bay area TMS referred two shops that can help flash. One of them would charge 75 dollars for the service and 30 minutes of your time. Since Napa has a online deal for the battery charger identical to the charger that is sold on their website. It made more financial sense to spend 10 minute trip for a $100 charger.

Impressions: I immediately noticed the throttle was more sensitive with the throttle. Meaning you do not need to push the throttle as far to produce the same type of response from the engine. For me, it took two shifts to make my to make the engagement smooth and rev matching is a little easier. Does it feel faster? I don't know,my butt dyno says no. However, I certainly have a larger smile when driving through the canyons.

Overall, I think the shark is a welcome addition to the ZHP for $273 shipped.

johnrando
01-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brooks_Church
01-22-2016, 09:30 PM
I have tried to read a lot of this thread to find a answer to my question, but have become confused.

I have a 2800rpm stutter that a DME update is suppose to fix. Local people said for $150
I can do the DME update. But the shark is $350.

Do I have to do the DME update before shark tune and/or will the shark tune do the same as the DME and probably fix my problem?

Sockethead
01-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Yes, you need to do the DME update first. If you shark it or any tune for that matter, the tune needs to be uninstalled before you can update the DME.
It's always a good idea to bring your DME to the latest update for adding a tune.
Do you have a ZHP or a non ZHP? The DME update for the 2800 rpm stutter is for non ZHPs...

Brooks_Church
01-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Look up 2800rpm stutter club.

I have a ZHP.

Dual
03-08-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure I completely understand the circumstances of the DME update. Putting it very selfishly: I own a 2006 coupe, build date 10/05. Should I be concerned about the issue, or is my car new enough to have left the factory with this corrected?

johnrando
03-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Not a DME expert but I have an 03/06 and when I asked the dealer if I needed a s/w upgrade for my DME they said no.

Dual
03-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks for this, John!
I have been under the weather but I plan to take some highway pulls to see if I can sense any issue. If something surfaces I'll visit the dealer (for the first time ever)...

trancenation
03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Any concerns with the shark injector interfering with anything related to SMOG?

Just sharked my car last week after purchasing the injector over the holidays.l The process is painless and straight forward. As recommended by many members, it is best to reread read the instructions a couple times before starting the process. I also found this video of of someone sharking their M5 for reference. Certainly made me feel better about flashing by myself. -= Link: https://youtu.be/cfZnsB4aNbg =-

Difficulty: Easy and straight forward just as easy as replacing your battery. It is basically the same process as the video except we I didn't have to pull any fuses because I have a manual ZHP. Due to the age of my battery, I was not able to flash in the first try. The voltage of my battery dropped too low during the flashing process and and the system aborted twice. I ended up purchasing a new battery from Napa. FWIW, the rep said are discontinuing their Napa AGM battery. So i ended up picking up a Interstate MTP-94R.

The total process of flashing took 16 minutes starting from plugging in the injector into the ODB II port and disconnecting the battery and pulling the injector out.

Alternatively, in the local bay area TMS referred two shops that can help flash. One of them would charge 75 dollars for the service and 30 minutes of your time. Since Napa has a online deal for the battery charger identical to the charger that is sold on their website. It made more financial sense to spend 10 minute trip for a $100 charger.

Impressions: I immediately noticed the throttle was more sensitive with the throttle. Meaning you do not need to push the throttle as far to produce the same type of response from the engine. For me, it took two shifts to make my to make the engagement smooth and rev matching is a little easier. Does it feel faster? I don't know,my butt dyno says no. However, I certainly have a larger smile when driving through the canyons.

Overall, I think the shark is a welcome addition to the ZHP for $273 shipped.

FungShui
03-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Honestly, I don't know first hand because I sharked my car right after I smogged. So I will let you know if 2 years :D. From what I read, some people had no issues with passing smog in CA.

Update - Found links -:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?631017-Cali-Smog-Test-check-Shark-Inj-Pass
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=417983

johnrando
03-09-2016, 05:03 PM
I had no issues getting smogged w my AA tune

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FungShui
03-14-2016, 03:37 PM
FYI TMS no longer lists the shark injector on their product page.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-269-e46-325330-shark-injector-performance-software/

Looks you can still get the shark inject through the UUC store, see link below.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/shark-injector-performance-software-for-2001-2005-e46-325330iciitxi-p1012.aspx

BMWCurves
03-14-2016, 04:05 PM
TMS has some odd stuff going on on their website in the last few days. I assume they still sell the Injector, but maybe you're right.

trancenation
03-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Honestly, I don't know first hand because I sharked my car right after I smogged. So I will let you know if 2 years :D. From what I read, some people had no issues with passing smog in CA.

Update - Found links -:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?631017-Cali-Smog-Test-check-Shark-Inj-Pass
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=417983

Thanks for the links!

I've been contemplating to pull the trigger on it. Looks like I missed out on that sale at turner a few months ago. -.-

wsmeyer
03-14-2016, 04:21 PM
I've passed smog twice now in CA with Shark Installed.

FungShui
03-14-2016, 04:41 PM
TMS has some odd stuff going on on their website in the last few days. I assume they still sell the Injector, but maybe you're right.

I sent TMS an email to confirm if they sell the injector as well as some other products that is no longer listed.

Sockethead
03-14-2016, 04:56 PM
ECS bought TMS... perhaps that's why the website is having issues

slater
03-14-2016, 05:14 PM
ECS bought TMS... perhaps that's why the website is having issues

whoa, really?

dang.

Sockethead
03-14-2016, 05:17 PM
yep... last July

ELCID86
03-14-2016, 05:24 PM
whoa, really?

dang.

News to me also

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

FungShui
03-15-2016, 06:58 AM
So it turns out they are updating their website which still has some bugs/broken links.

Below is the link to purchase the shark injector.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Cart/?add1=338935&qty1=1&pdk1=AQYB&utm_source=318&utm_medium=email&utm_content=link2cart&salesrep=318

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

holyc0w
08-08-2017, 05:33 PM
What's the cheapest charger that will do the trick? The NAPA charger is $93, which seems to be the same one pictured on the turner website.

Sockethead
08-08-2017, 06:07 PM
I used a cheap 10 amp charger from Harbor Freight for all of my ESS tunes (5 so far) that was for uploads and downloads... while the pump for the laminova cooler was running... no problems...Just make sure the battery is fully charged before starting

ZHPizza
08-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Also might want to disable or pull the fuse for the daytime running lights. I plan to do that and use a 10A charger.

holyc0w
08-08-2017, 07:46 PM
DRLs are disabled, though I think my battery is from 2011/12.

Sockethead
08-09-2017, 05:51 AM
DRLs are disabled, though I think my battery is from 2011/12.
What I meant was if you have any doubts about the charge in the battery, just put the charger on it for a couple of hours before you start the install

holyc0w
08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking about BP's issue. I'm guessing it shouldn't matter whether I charge from the battery or through the connection under the hood?

Sockethead
08-10-2017, 07:45 PM
I always hook the charger under the hood. It's too much of a pain to get that plastic tray out to access the battery.

holyc0w
08-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Well...I am now sharked. I took it for a brief test drive, and the throttle seems smoother and more responsive. I'm not too fine tuned, but it seems like there's a bit more power. Though that could be due to the other effects as well.

I did manage to drop the charger. :facepalm I put it back in the box and didn't consider the security of the box. Out the bottom it fell. :blink

Reasoned1
08-12-2017, 03:15 AM
Safer to connect in the engine bay, too--away from the battery.

holyc0w
08-12-2017, 11:36 AM
1st gear jerkiness seems to be gone. The engine braking is less severe. This should help in stop n go highway traffic and be a bit safer.

Rovert
08-12-2017, 12:07 PM
1st gear jerkiness seems to be gone. The engine braking is less severe. This should help in stop n go highway traffic and be a bit safer.

That's what declutching is for. [emoji12]

webster
08-14-2017, 09:50 AM
i have a brand new shark for the new ZHP but am debating putting it on. as i recall the engine braking seemed to increase (i.e., revs fall more slowly when in gear and decelerating) which was annoying. i guess i could always go back to stock tune if i don't like it...

trancenation
08-14-2017, 10:24 AM
What's the cheapest charger that will do the trick? The NAPA charger is $93, which seems to be the same one pictured on the turner website.

I was able to use this Schumacher charger from Amazon. It's ~$50. Has 12A capability.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-1200A-CA-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Battery/dp/B000BQSIWK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1502735027&sr=8-8&keywords=schumacher+battery+charger

holyc0w
08-14-2017, 12:18 PM
That's what declutching is for. [emoji12]

Or gradually decreasing the throttle

i have a brand new shark for the new ZHP but am debating putting it on. as i recall the engine braking seemed to increase (i.e., revs fall more slowly when in gear and decelerating)...

That's what it seems like.

I was able to use this Schumacher charger from Amazon. It's ~$50. Has 12A capability.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-1200A-CA-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Battery/dp/B000BQSIWK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1502735027&sr=8-8&keywords=schumacher+battery+charger

I got another one of the Schumacher models (SE-5212A 2/10/50 amp).

Reasoned1
08-15-2017, 04:10 AM
I used a Schumacher charger with only 10A four times successfully. One time, though, I forgot to turn my lights off, it faulted, and I had to restart the procedure (no big issue).

ZHPizza
08-15-2017, 05:10 AM
Currently sharking with a 6amp charger. I used this same charger years ago when I sharked my last ZHP, so I'm hoping it'll be fine with my brand new battery.

Edit: Great success!

Reasoned1
08-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Brave man... my understanding is that things could go very wrong if the upload is interrupted at the worst possible time. I wouldn't do it with less than 10A, as recommended.

BerDz3nA
04-09-2018, 06:06 AM
Guys has anyone dynoed before and after SHARK INJECTION ?
I hear a lot of posts saying the redline stays at 6800 and some saying that the power hasn't increased.

ZHPizza
04-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Guys has anyone dynoed before and after SHARK INJECTION ?
I hear a lot of posts saying the redline stays at 6800 and some saying that the power hasn't increased.Yeah it's been recently found out that the shark tune is kinda trash. I still love the drivability improvement from the throttle response changes, but definitely no noticeable power increase.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1224198

BerDz3nA
04-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Yeah it's been recently found out that the shark tune is kinda trash. I still love the drivability improvement from the throttle response changes, but definitely no noticeable power increase.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1224198

Thank you for the info. It's a pity you have to pay that amount of cash and nothing happens. I've read so many posts people saying that it didn't even changed the redline to 7000 rpm :(

What about sprint booster worth it ?

Reasoned1
04-09-2018, 11:31 AM
I've bought three Shark Injectors over the last couple years and, in each case, I noticed improved throttle response and other obvious features I won't detail, so they do work to a significant degree. On my xi's (1 auto, 1 6MT), I noticed a small power bump, but I didn't notice any power bump on my ZHP. However, I did notice that my ZHP wasn't hitting 7k rpm like my 6MT xi. Come to find out, my ZHP was hitting the 6,920 rpm limit as poorly advertised. I can't speak to the ECS/Turner changes described by ZHPizza--that may prevent me from buying more in the future and prompt me to pursue some other tune... too bad.

I thought about the Sprint Booster, but the throttle response on all my cars is amazingly instantaneous, but each has different sensitivity. My auto is most sensitive, my 6MT xi seemed perfect, and I used to think my ZHP was under-sensitive and in need of a booster. However, the more I drive the ZHP the more I find I can more precisely control the revs, so I abandoned the idea of the booster which, as I understand it, simply amplifies the input.

danewilson77
04-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Thank you for the info. It's a pity you have to pay that amount of cash and nothing happens. I've read so many posts people saying that it didn't even changed the redline to 7000 rpm :(

What about sprint booster worth it ?These typically aren't proved claims. Either they were installed incorrectly or their expectations were unrealistic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

az3579
04-09-2018, 11:40 AM
6920 RPM is practically the same as 7000 RPM... :dunno

I can tell you that that extra revs at the end really help me out on track. There are a few turns on some of the tracks I frequent where it's a waste of time to have to shift up to 4th and right back down to 3rd again. With the extra revs, I can just let it rev out, and it's practically right at the rev limiter by the time I have to start braking.

Wademco
07-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Not to throw a loop in the discussion, but I installed the Sprint Booster on a 2002 330Cic (AT), and it was great. Easy to install, no battery charger necessary,
and it was a marked difference from the stock setup. I also had it on a VW Beetle Turbo S and it was similar-fast throttle response, easy to install, and no issues for the duration of ownership. (I own neither car at this point)

WOLFN8TR
07-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Not to throw a loop in the discussion, but I installed the Sprint Booster on a 2002 330Cic (AT), and it was great. Easy to install, no battery charger necessary,
and it was a marked difference from the stock setup.

I agree. I first had one on my ZHP Step with the Sport Button Mod and loved it. What a difference! I even bought one for the M3. This isn’t a tune so no charger required. Plug and Play.

cakM3
07-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Botond is not a fan of Sprint Booster....

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk Pro

johnrando
07-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Botond is allowed to be incorrect. :)

WOLFN8TR
07-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Botond is not a fan of Sprint Booster...

I do recall this being true. I don’t really need mine anymore now that I have this Tool!! So Sweet!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/faee72f8fa8d17d2a74eddc1315e8b1b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/29b88b01b863825f6bf3013cd5efee40.jpg

johnrando
07-21-2018, 09:17 AM
What is that?

WOLFN8TR
07-21-2018, 09:28 AM
What is that?

This is a nice Binary Tool used for programming. I can tweak the pedal settings for Comfort and Sport mod. It’s bad ass! The best part is it was only $27! There’s some really smart guys over on the M3Forum, they designed this tool.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/5969295169d335e64d81f8d71eb3f991.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/2b4e8c3c1ca2041bf9918445506240cc.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/f2fd3540d54bbc5c8211958cf4a53cec.jpg

johnrando
07-21-2018, 09:29 AM
That is awesome! Only for M3?

WOLFN8TR
07-21-2018, 09:34 AM
I do believe so yes.