PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 4 Delron Carrier Bushings for Shifter?

lkstaack
01-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Does anyone with personal experience know if I need two or four delron carrier bushings for my 6-speed shifting arm?

I'm replacing all of my shifter bushings while dropping my tranny for a clutch change. I plan on using delron bushings in place of OE for the carrier bushings. You will recall that these bushings go between the shifting arm (the large piece the shifter arm snaps into) ear and the transmission. You'll also recall that our 6-speeds have two ears, rather than the single ear of the 5-speed.

5-speed transmissions require two delron carrier bushings to replace the single OE rubber bushing. They press into either side of the shift arm ear. I have attached a photo of a 5-speed shift arm with delron carrier bushings. So, it would make sense that the 6-speed would need four delron bushings, right?

Rouge Engineering says that I only need one bushing on the outside of each ear, but that doesn't sound quite right. I would appreciate the opinion of someone who has replaced their own carrier bushings. Thanks.

Ryans323i
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I believe you're right, you'll need 4, based on the information that you'll need two, one on each side.

Here's the diagram of the 6 speed shifter arm. You are talking about bushing(s) #2 correct?
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/i/f/153.png

Like you said there's two ears on the 6 speeds, opposed to 1 on the 5 speeds.

I'm sure someone has done this on here, so I'd wait for another answer.

A diagram of the 5 speed shifter arm for reference.
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/a/n/202.png

lkstaack
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Yes, it would make sense to have four carrier bushings. However, Ben Liaw, owner of Rogue and experienced bimmerhead, says I only need two. That is why I'm asking for the advice of someone who has been into our 6-speed shifting assembly.

LivesNearCostco
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Verify with Ben that he knows you have the 6-speed and that your carrier has two front mount points, not one. And that your bushings are likely oval, not round. It is possible that he knows this and you only need the two because with two front points, only the outside bushings matter.

When I put in the UUC DSSR, UUC told me I didn't need to replace the front carrier bushings because the two-prong front design makes the 6-speed carrier more stable than the 5-speed design.

lkstaack
01-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Verify with Ben that he knows you have the 6-speed and that your carrier has two front mount points, not one. And that your bushings are likely oval, not round. It is possible that he knows this and you only need the two because with two front points, only the outside bushings matter.

When I put in the UUC DSSR, UUC told me I didn't need to replace the front carrier bushings because the two-prong front design makes the 6-speed carrier more stable than the 5-speed design.

Now that's good to know. It makes sense; I'll probably just stay with OE bushings then.