PDA

View Full Version : ZHP Mafia Team Talent

danewilson77
01-24-2011, 07:10 AM
I know that most of us know a little bit about each other.....but I thought it would be good to start a thread.....that we can build on to explain where the talents are that each member holds. It only needs to be something that you are comfortable doing in or around a ZHP. This can be driving knowledge, Computer and electronics, lighting suspension, brakes, interior repair, detailing, etc.

This thread is to identify, where each members talents lie, regarding the ZHP.

I would like this to be a One entry per member thread....and you can edit your entry, as you be more confident in a particular area.

Thanks for the support.

With that...I will go first.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Items I feel somewhat experienced, and would be comfortable working on someone else car, include:

1. VANOS repairs
2. Preventative maintenance...to include wipers, oil/filters, tranny/diff fluids, etc.
3. Belt and pulley maintenance.
4. ALL Suspension other than RTAB's as I have never had to do this.
5. Front wheel bearing replacement.
6. detailing....though only at a novice level.
7. Some amount of troubleshooting experience.
8. Exterior/interior modification, with the exception of the electronic stuff.
9. I can probably offer a bit of advice on anything, or at least tell you where to find it.
10. Part research, where to get parts, how the parts have worked for me...etc.

I will build on this as I think of items.

If you take your car to the shop for all maintenance...and have no experience....then don't post in this thread.....just know that these resources are here, for you.....so just shoot us a PM, and get your questions answered.

DW77

M3TA5IN
01-24-2011, 08:15 AM
1. Glass installation/removal to include windshield/side windows/back window.
2. Electronics Troubleshooting
3. I have worked on several drivetrains, but to be honest I've never touched a BMW drivetrain. Cant imagine it can be that much more difficult.

kayger12
01-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Things I've done/am comfortable doing:

1. VANOS repairs
2. Control Arm replacement/CABs
3. Oil filter housing gasket
4. Preventative- diff fluid, manual trans fluid, plugs, wipers, air/cabin filters
5. Basic interior stuff-- trim, shift knob, OEM aux input, alum pedals.

Also a driving instructor for work-- car control, vehicle dynamics, etc.

nk_zhp
01-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Average level automotive repairs
* Fluids
* Brakes
* Steering racks
* Suspension bits and pieces

Inspections for sale
* Have the paint thickness measuring device, can help fellow members evaluate a car for sale. Especially if it's an E30 M3.

Driving
* Just under 10 years of auto-x experience
* Skip Barber racing school alumni (Lime Rock Park)

Computers
* Software engineer by profession.

danewilson77
01-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Driving
* Just under 10 years for auto-x experience
* Skip Barber racing school alumni (Lime Rock Park)

Baller.

danewilson77
01-25-2011, 08:46 AM
* Have the paint thickness measuring device, can help fellow members evaluate a car for sale. Especially if it's an E30 M3.

How much did you pay for this?

nk_zhp
01-25-2011, 09:10 AM
How much did you pay for this?

~300. Best investment ever. My favorite part about this tool is that when you go to look at a car, the salesman sees you pulling that out of your pocket, he/she immediately drops the "car sales talk". Turns out that vast majority of cars have had some body work done. You just have to learn to not let really minor body work get in the way of picking a really nice car.

billschusteriv
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
1. Preventative maintenance - includes wipers, oil/filters, air/cabin filters.
2. Brakes - Rotors, Pads, Calipers, Lines, Flush/Bleeds (Motive Power Bleeder)
3. Transmission - Slave cylinder, Lines
4. Detailing - Basic level
5. Minimal troubleshooting - research with Bentley manual
6. Parts - research and where to buy

I've done considerably more maintenance on my e30 and haven't delved into much with the e46 since the baby arrived. I assume much of the maintenance is similar/carries over (like MT/diff fluids).
I've also done a number of stereo installs on other cars I've owned to include component upgrades, amplifier installs, wiring, etc. I haven't done anything with the BMW yet, but will most likely do the BSW upgrades.

mimalmo
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Lighting (I've fully removed both front headlights and replaced parts plus worked on other exterior and interior lighting)
iPod integration (I've installed my own and researched most of the other available products out there)
Suspension (Coilovers, bushings, etc.)
Wheels (offsets, tire sizes, etc.)
Basic DIY maintenance
Key programming options (while I can't actually program, I know most of the options off the top of my head)
If I don't know the topic, I probably know where to find the answer through previous reading & research. Just ask.

Tampa330i
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
I can run factory diagnostics with INPA, read codes, clear service indicators & program a few options in NCS Expert. Expanding daily on programming capability. I can read codes and whatnot personally for anyone who's close by (or during a meet) & I can help to get these tools working for anyone interested in doing this themselves for cheap (cost me $22 for cable, $10 for soldering iron and solder).
Tested & working code changes:
-selective locking on/off
-autolock after x mph on/off
-visually confirm lock/unlock w/o alarm (even lights up the clown nose when locked) on/off
-fog lights stay on w/highbeams on/off
-highbeams are bixenon & halogen on/off
-bixenon lowbeam stays on w/flash to pass halogen

I have weak mechanic skills, but experience with my own installs: changing all 7 roundels, swapping tail lights, front corners/sides, oem performance intake, oem aux input, removal/painting/install of mtech grid, oem license plate frame & blackout grille.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I swear, this reminds me of Doc Hollywood (Michael J. Fox movie). The girls are welcoming Fox to their town. They've all prepared a nice meal. They announce everything they've cooked, one at a time. The third woman says: Hungry Man dinner. I'm a bad cook.

That's me when it comes to this stuff. Glad you guys are around -- otherwise I'd starve.

kayger12
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
I swear, this reminds me of Doc Hollywood (Michael J. Fox movie). The girls are welcoming Fox to their town. They've all prepared a nice meal. They announce everything they've cooked, one at a time. The third woman says: Hungry Man dinner. I'm a bad cook.

That's me when it comes to this stuff. Glad you guys are around -- otherwise I'd starve.

Love that movie in all it's cheesiness.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Love that movie in all it's cheesiness.

Should have figured, Keith. Two peas in a pod.

nk_zhp
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Marcus don't sell yourself short... didn't you say you are an attorney? When we, so called "mechanics", set some random BMW owner's car on fire, we will be seeking your legal representation.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Haha. I don't see that happening. You guys are too capable. Bar still upcoming. Can't call me an attorney until I pass. Only a JD at this point.

Mtnman
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
My (lack of) abilities list:
headlights changing to depos from zkw, wire in angel eyes to run off accessory wires.
easy mechanic stuff, intake boots, filters, washer pumps, zip tie fix for window regulators, isimple install from trunk under interior carpets to dash.
I am the type that can take anything apart, and get it back together. I love figuring out how things work. i just dont have much experience with cars as no one showed me how to do anything when i was growing up. I learn(ed) on my own car. I should have been an engineer, but decided to go finance instead.

Im sure there is more, but i dont have the resume that most of you others do. i just tinker on my car, and when i run into something I dont understand, I research and read until I find an answer that is credible and sensible.
David

Linh
02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Basic maintenance:
Full brake job
Changing fluids
Vanos seals
Decent detailer

jjcools
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Marcus and I can pump gas like nobody's business.
- Fluid changes
- Vanos (after tomorrow)
- Basic parts change outs.

JHiggy
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
1. Mityvac oil changes
2. I can reinstall the headliner compartment which houses the mic and sunroof control. It's falls, I park and reattach, repeat.
3. Install license plate holder
4. Install clear corners and side markers
3. I study the Bentley manual, stare at my tools and wish to God someday I'll man up and tackle a project listed above by other folks.

Mad skills.

danewilson77
02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
1. Mityvac oil changes
2. I can reinstall the headliner compartment which houses the mic and sunroof control. It's falls, I park and reattach, repeat.
3. Install license plate holder
4. Install clear corners and side markers
3. I study the Bentley manual, stare at my tools and wish to God someday I'll man up and tackle a project listed above by other folks.

Mad skills.

It will happen grasshopper.....it will happen.

mimalmo
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
lulz.

Gramps05ZHP
02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
I will just hang with you guys, you seem to have it all covered, but I can hold my own.

DIY preventative
wheel refinish/road rash removal
Ipod integration
HomeLink controller install

ryankokesh
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I have working knowledge of the whole coding process with NCS etc. That said, if anyone near chicago wants any settings changed feel free to hit me up. I've done the front control arms and vanos, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it :)

Hopefully, if I can convince myself that a random orbital is a worthwhile investment, I'll be a detailing expert by the end of the summer!

kayger12
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Good stuff, Ryan.

You might be able to help out here http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?765-BMW-DIS-Software

danewilson77
02-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I have working knowledge of the whole coding process with NCS etc. That said, if anyone near chicago wants any settings changed feel free to hit me up. I've done the front control arms and vanos, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it :)

Hopefully, if I can convince myself that a random orbital is a worthwhile investment, I'll be a detailing expert by the end of the summer!

Excellent to have you on the team.

static667
03-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm fairly new to the E46 but have plenty of experience with BMWs. I have no issues diving into a cooling system rebuild or brakes I'll even do a clutch. VANOS systems are something I haven't gotten into yet but I'm not afraid to. In fact, its one thing that I want to do. I would say I'm about a medium experienced mechanic with the want and capacity to learn.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Ryans323i
03-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Sounds like we've got a good list of capable people on the forum. Awesome.

Like most I'd be comfortable working under the hood and replacing suspension parts. I have no experience with reprogramming or exhausts. Exhausts is something I'd like to learn.

I've DIY'd nearly all mods on my car, including paint prep and spraying primer (I left the actual color spraying to the pro). I learned a lot about paint and would feel comfortable doing chip touch ups and prepping another car for paint. And I can spray bomb anything, wheels, trim, ect.

I also love detailing my car, and have tried a variety of products (nearly anything you buy at the local automotive store). Eagle one wash, and quick detailer are the great. Meguiars clay bar is awesome. And anything Zaino (with hand polishing, and available online only) is amazing. Still trying products, but that's what I've got so far.

Crickett
03-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow, lots of skill in the family!

I feel confident about looking into any DIY that comes my way, but here's what I've done so far:
• basic maintenance (oil, filters, bulbs, wipers, wheel swap/rotation)
• brake pads, rotors, sensors (not so good with bleeding yet . . . )
• CDV delete
• "plug-&-play" mods/retrofits: HomeLink, OEM Bluetooth, DIY aux-in & aux power

I consider myself considerably competent with computer hardware & software; I plan to translate that into DIY ECU diagnostics & coding.

I'm a little shy with anything engine internals & suspension-related (i.e. VANOS, DISA, LCAB, etc.) but hope to change that!

static667
03-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I have no experience with reprogramming or exhausts. Exhausts is something I'd like to learn.

Unless you are doing the pipe bending and self fitting, exhaust is simple. The guys who do custom work with bending and welding have mad skills. I've seen a good exhaust man 'eyeball' an entire dual exhaust system on a pick-up before. That was cool.

M0nk3y
03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
1. Detailing.
I can help you learn on a Porter Cable, or move up to a rotary if you're ready. Explain simple polishing mechanics, what polishes to use when. Pad/Polish Combos. Provide experience with different Glazes, Sealants, Waxes. General Detailing questions: Wheel Cleaning, Engine Bay, Exhaust Tips, Trim, Windows, Interior, Leather Care, Carpets...etc.

2. Lighting
Help with disassembly and re-assembly of headlights. Wiring AE's.
Help with Wiring Resistors for LEDs.
General Cosmetic Lighting.

3. Minor Auto-X Experience
Mainly help class cars and teach basics.

4. Hardwiring radar detectors.

Johnmadd
03-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Well, I haven't done much to the zhp but I can and have done just about anything mechanically that is not internal. Internal as Ive gone is waterpumps and timing belts and distributors. Pretty good finding shorts in electrics and hooking up stereos. Like I said most everything except internals of the engine, but I have an m20b25 in my back yard mocking me to open it up and make it capable of turbo.

gr330zhp
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Detailing-exterior, interior, engine bay, undercarriage, trunk, wheels and all other cleaning. I own a Porter Cable and have paint correction experience

Lighting-angel eyes install, clears all around, interior and exterior bulbs. Also non BMW, but I have installed Audi fog lights on my VW, with rear fog and the euro switch. A really cool VW mod

Maintenance- Cooling system overhaul
Oil Changes
Belt
Tranny and Diff fluids
Parking brake adjust
CDV
other stuff

Mods- Dice link
Angel eyes as mentioned
Many interior mods
M dead pedal
Splitters install
other stuff here too

static667
03-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Well, I haven't done much to the zhp but I can and have done just about anything mechanically that is not internal. Internal as Ive gone is waterpumps and timing belts and distributors. Pretty good finding shorts in electrics and hooking up stereos. Like I said most everything except internals of the engine, but I have an m20b25 in my back yard mocking me to open it up and make it capable of turbo.

Get yourself an engine stand and some space in the garage (or shed) and tear that puppy down. Nothing like hands on learning.

VA//M3
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Hmmm,

I've done a little bit of everything including but not limited to

-Motor swaps
-Clutch Jobs
-Engine Timing (M54's as well)
-DME flashing

The only thing I haven't tackled but really want to work on is building my own 700HP engine wether BMW or not from the ground up coupled to a straight cut sequential transmission.
I would also like to be able to weld and C&C my own parts.

If only I had the time and resources to do so... Realistically that will probably have to wait until I retire and I am 65 yrs old. I doubt gas engines will even exist by then... lol oh well.

danewilson77
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
So...VA...my brosef...have you done an E46 clutch?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

VA//M3
04-11-2011, 08:36 PM
So...VA...my brosef...have you done an E46 clutch?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Not personally, But it is no different then a VW jetta, VW golf,944's, 924's, e30, or 05' S4 (which calls for 13 hours book time at the audi dealership and knocked it out in exactly 13 hours with an hour lunch) clutches I have replaced.

Albeit, e46 clutch replacements are much simpler then many of the ones I've listed.

danewilson77
04-12-2011, 04:50 AM
OK......I have added you to my future maintenance contact list...lol.

static667
04-12-2011, 06:51 AM
I have done an e36 clutch and I'm pretty sure there isn't a whole lot of difference. If you need some help, I'm not afraid to drive up there.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate. Hacked Droid FTW!

VA//M3
04-12-2011, 07:28 AM
OK......I have added you to my future maintenance contact list...lol.

Sounds good! I'd be glad to lend a hand!

09mageec
04-12-2011, 07:45 AM
1.(Extreme Detailing) I am extremely obsessive with keeping my car spotless and would like to think of myself as very skilled when it comes to cleaning my car inside and out. Its one of my hobbies lol.
2. (Preventative maintenance) I love this type of maintenance because it keeps me busy with my car here and there. My buddy has a nice garage with a nice set of tools so we do a lot on our cars and friends cars in there. We also did a timing belt and water pump job on my old Jetta GLI in there which I was very proud of!:headbang

C Withers Media
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM
am able to color inside the lines....but I have no automotive know how or abilities.

Johnmadd
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
am able to color inside the lines....but I have no automotive know how or abilities.

So sorry for you then.

Johnmadd
04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Dane and I are here to help, as well as alot of others on here that know some stuff.

C Withers Media
04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
So sorry for you then.

Dane and I are here to help.

:shifty

Stu
05-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I work in the IT department part-time soooo....anything vehicle coding-related I could probably be of good help with if someone teaches me.

danewilson77
05-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks brutha.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

ZHP-FTW
06-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I would say I have a fair amount of general knowledge and repair capabilities.

1) Preventative maintenance
2) Suspension/Brakes
3) Tranny/Driveline
4) Engine
5) some troubleshooting or diagnosis, but mostly from searching.

PsychoCemia
07-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Software engineer here, comfortable doing/helping with the following on the ZHP:

- Bumper removal/repair
- Wheel repair
- Auto transmission drain/fill
- Front wheel bearings (haven't had to do the rear yet)
- Brakes/Rotors all around
- Interior panel/trim removal & Aux Input install

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Bump.

Hermes
09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Are we gonna have a talent show?

static667
12-07-2011, 06:06 PM
TTT

sna77
12-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Things I can actually do and install myself:

Bluetooth installs swaps, upgrades
Navigation swaps, upgrades, laser repairs
Intravee install
clear light installs
compass / UGDO mirror retrofit
Program with NavCoder

danewilson77
12-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Things I can actually do and install myself:

Bluetooth installs swaps, upgrades
Navigation swaps, upgrades, laser repairs
Intravee install
clear light installs
compass / UGDO mirror retrofit
Program with NavCoder

Nice to have a resident electrician.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

WOLFN8TR
12-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I can pretty much tackle any DIY. I can figure out and fix just about anything. Well almost anything...:blink

- Belts
- OFH Gasket
- Oil Changes
- Ipod Intergration
- Water Pump, Tstat
- Spark Plugs
- Window Seals
- Hood Cowl
- Hidden Garage Door Remote with Hidden Switch!

danewilson77
12-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the contribution Wolfy....

WOLFN8TR
12-10-2011, 07:28 AM
You Bet :thumbsup

Great idea by the way.

mLuMaN83
07-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I think members here already cover what I have experience with. I'll let them handle it.

JKO_ZHP
09-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I can detail. Maybe not at a professional level but only because I don't use the brand of products that other places may use.

What I do for my ZHP on a semi-regular basis: Wash, clay, wax, tire shine, wheel cleaner, vacuum interior, condition leather, UV vinyl protectant (SoCal), etc.

Fried_Chicken
10-14-2013, 11:56 PM
I would say I know the ins and outs of the cooling system.
I have a full list of parts to replace, and can give advice on anyone wanting to do it.

SC4ME
12-03-2013, 08:42 PM
The Items I feel somewhat experienced, and would be comfortable working on someone else car, include:

1. Complete Cooling System replacement
2. Preventative maintenance...to include wipers, oil/filters, tranny/diff fluids, etc.
4. ALL Suspension (had to rent spring compressor and RTAB tool).
5. Component replacements/upgrades - brakes/rotors, altanators, ACpumps, etc
6. detailing (up to clay bar but I stay away from polishers!)
7. Good troubleshooting experience.
9. I can probably offer a bit of advice on anything, or at least tell you where to find it.

I've worked on cars my whole life, starting with my first car, a 1965 Austin Healey Sprite and even a few motorcycles I've owned over the years.
Have most tools and some work space in SD .

Cheers!

johnrando
12-04-2013, 08:43 AM

1. Complete Cooling System replacement
4. ALL Suspension (had to rent spring compressor and RTAB tool).
5. Component replacements/upgrades - brakes/rotors, altanators, ACpumps, etc
6. detailing (up to clay bar but I stay away from polishers!)
7. Good troubleshooting experience.

I've worked on cars my whole life, starting with my first car, a 1965 Austin Healey Sprite and even a few motorcycles I've owned over the years.
Have most tools and some work space in SD .

Cheers!

Thanks for posting. You have a PM.

Avetiso
12-04-2013, 08:59 AM
1. Post accident repair - Fire/Water damage - cost to fix estimates and finding parts - basically, mostly everything related to salvage cars and car repair.
2. Full interior swap knowledge.
3. I know under the dash fairly well.
4. I know the cluster in and out except for modifying it electronically.

More to be added as I work on my car over time.

KensZHP
12-06-2013, 04:38 PM
We'll I'm an commercial manager for Advance Auto Parts. I was an master ase tech 9 years ago. I'm in Jacksonville n.c.

KensZHP
12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
I detail my own cars. I do all my own work on my cars, from brakes, engine, and electrical.

3ZHPGUY
12-06-2013, 06:52 PM
My life with auto repair started with a dad that was always getting raked over the coals for auto repair as my influence. Well that, and Ricky Hoctor my first friend once I was old enough to have friends. Ricky’s dad had a race car so; whenever I was with Ricky we were racing something.

With that start, I did a 3 year Auto Tech major in high school in the mid-70s. Through the school years I learned every component of a car inside and out with the exception of transmissions, anyone ever heard of Points & Condenser or a Dwell Meter?

Life from 1978 through 1986 revolved around automotive and during that time specialized in suspension and alignment, tune-ups, brakes, general maintenance, and windshield replacement. As a sub set, I ran a 24 hour towing service for a very large collision shop with eight large locations. Although; I never worked as a body man, frame man or painter, but, working in a place like that for 7 + years things rub off. Still couldn’t get away from hand work and became an aircraft landing gear metal finisher for about 5 years. Now I'm just do it as a hobby and to keep my costs down. I still have most of my tools from back in the day and purchase new ones on a as needed bases. I’m not one for guessing and I’m a bit anal about it being right so, mechanical s is what I still do, leaving all the electrical and oil changes to the BMW dealer. I call it a joint venture.

Below is a list of what I’ve personally done on the (4) E 46’s we’ve owned over the last 9 years. If anyone has a question, I more than willing to try to help.

•Install, Under Driver Pulleys
•Installed, Dinan CAI including headlight removal for duct tube
•Front & Rear Brakes, Rotors, Wear Sensor & Bleed
•Battery replacement
•Water Pump replacement & coolant bleed
•Installed Koni Sport front Struts
•Installed Koni Sport rear shocks
•Replaced Sway Bar End Link
•Replaced front control arms and control arm bushings
•Replaced Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (have tool)
•Replaced belts
•Replaced head light covers
•Installed Axillary input
•Replaced rear window regulator
•Thermostat replacement
•Spark Plug replacement
•Air Filter replacement
•Cabin Filter replacement
•Windshield Wiper replacement

san
02-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Thought Il restart an old thread -

So these were done on mine and my friends cars by both of us -
[LIST]
Front springs and dampers
Brake pads
Diff bushings
Coolant flush
Engine Oil change
Front Control Bushings
Front sway bar end links
OFHG

UdubBadger
05-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Oh nice never saw this.

My talent is definitely sniffing out deals and paying for others to do work for me.

;)

bshovers
05-21-2015, 06:59 AM
I'm an artisan when it comes to window regulators.

330i Lover
06-24-2016, 04:51 AM
I'm an artisan when it comes to window regulators.

In your opinion should we be lowering and raising the windows in our cars on a regular basis to help prolong the life of the window regulators? I heard a mechanic say this in the past but never before.

WOLFN8TR
06-24-2016, 05:40 AM
Growing up watching and helping my Dad work on cars really paid off. He taught me how to fix pretty much everything there is on a car. Also how to do plumbing, electrical, AC etc. At the time I just loved learning but looking back on how much money I've saved being a DIY'er.

The most recent big car repair was doing the Vanos and Valve adjustment on my M3. I spent countless hours reading threads on the forums and watching videos on YouTube. If the timing is off you can bend the valves and really screw up the engine. Here's some pictures.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/08b0763a3e49dfdae84527386a8e6653.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/fc4e81a218270d114c9759b5200d4c4d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/436c5e982a837fb4a406fed92a632628.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/2081e862959dad61f1c256d3730408d6.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/a0114798b25643c36e85e2b608c65c27.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/5ef83aebf52426b4c3c1155729ae57d7.jpg

johnrando
06-24-2016, 07:30 AM
:thumbsup

Pip
06-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Beautiful. Awesome job Gary. That was an interesting time in my life. I'm happy I did it myself but it was nerve racking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
06-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Thanks Guys. Ya it was very nerve racking to say the least. One screw up could really cost you!

theothersawyer
06-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Great work!

squashman702
06-28-2016, 08:00 AM
I'll take a crack at this . . . a lot of my experience comes from the Jeep world.

1. Basic maintenance (Did full cooling system, CCV, wheel bearings, fuel pump, brakes, etc on the ZHP. Full rear suspension refresh on the M3 in progress.)
2. More advanced projects. Pulled 4 or 5 motors, clutches in a couple different vehicles, transfer case and axle swaps in Jeeps.
3. Welding and fab. Decent with a MIG. Did a full set of reinforcement plates in my M3 (rear sway, RTAB, shock tower) along with many hours of welding on previous Jeeps and various fabrication projects for them. Haven't had to do any welding on the ZHP yet.
4. Tools- Have a press, Miller 211, torch setup, plasma cutter, TIG, chop saw, along with a wide array of hand tools in my shop. No lift, but can tackle a lot of different stuff in there. That's located in the Boston area.

Hopefully I can add wiring/diagnostics to my list of skills once I get the LS1 dropped into the M3.

sillieidiot
06-29-2016, 10:32 AM
In your opinion should we be lowering and raising the windows in our cars on a regular basis to help prolong the life of the window regulators? I heard a mechanic say this in the past but never before.

Based on how it's made, if you never open your windows, it will last longer lol Two things often break on our regulators, it's either the plastic part that holds onto the cable, or the cable itself breaks. This is like a sedan specific problem though. I've had my coupe way longer than my sedan and the regulator is still fine.

Hmm haven't seen this thread before. I pretty much tackle everything, and if I haven't done it before, I could probably figure it out after some research. I've done installs/repairs on most parts of the e46, problem is I don't remember everything that I did lol I just remember stuff as I do it lol Things I don't do are stuff I don't have the special tools for I guess. I used to do custom installs as a side job, but stopped cause lazy.

Things I've done:
- installing bodywork items (so like bumpers/hood/trunks/skirts), know process to install like CF roof, general estimation of costs and random stuff like that
- lighting/in car electronics (all lighting, headlight retrofits, xenon conversions, angel eyes installs, wiring work, hardwiring stuff, etc)
- basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, fluids, filters, wipers, etc)
- preventative maintenance (cooling, ccv, vcg, ofhg, plugs, etc)
- suspension/bushings (pretty much all aspects of the suspension and related items. the only bushings I haven't installed myself are the subframe/engine due to not having the correct tools)
- transmission (ssk install, transmission mounts/bushings)
- wheels/tires (process on fitting aggressive fitments, wheel/tire recommendations)
- interior (related to my ICE stuff, but general removing/installing interior items)
- coding/diagnostics (just some minor stuff using PA Soft/NCS/ISTA-D, don't remember much of it because I don't do it as much)
- random stuff with no categories (guibo, wheel studs, vinyl work, subframe reinforcement techniques, exhaust system)

Things I know how to do, but don't due to the amount of work involved:
- detailing
- paint
- alignment
- PPF (paint protection film)/vinyl work on large body panels
- tint