PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hours of LeMans: Anyone tried it?

Torxuvin
01-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm curious as well. Looks like a ton of fun

Hermes
01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
ok... so this is the story

- car w/all modifications must be under $500

- "safety equipment" does not count towards the $500 cap (basically roll cage, seat, 5-point harness)

- at the end of the race, anybody has the right to buy your car for $500

basically John has a bit of an unfair advantage since he has a parts shop (and their team has a bunch of great drivers)

2004_blue_zhp
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
That all makes sense. Did he have an estimate for what all the "not-counted-to-the-total" stuff actually costs? I.e. once I buy my $500 beater, am I on the track for $100 more, or is it more like buy a $500 beater and then sink $2,000 into making it race-ready and paying entry fees?

HokieZHP
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I've never done it but I'd like to do it with my brother and dad sometime. Just looking for a good time where we all have time to do it.

Hermes
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
That all makes sense. Did he have an estimate for what all the "not-counted-to-the-total" stuff actually costs? I.e. once I buy my $500 beater, am I on the track for $100 more, or is it more like buy a $500 beater and then sink $2,000 into making it race-ready and paying entry fees?

sounds about right... just remember, anybody can buy your car from you for $500 so don't sink too much into it. Try to buy a $100 beater, sink $400 into it to get race ready

Edit: John said you can probably get a basic (not pretty looking) cage in for a few hundred

derbo
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Up here, thunderhill and infineon 24hr lemons lately has been having a terrible wait list. I wanted to get it sponsored by BMWSF when i was working there but never came around since the president took our e30 base car..

It definitely is really fun

LivesNearCostco
01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
I thought they also don't count tires, brake pads, or fire extinguisher towards the $500 limit, but if the judges don't believe you spent $500 or less on the car (not counting safety), they can also give you penalty laps?

az3579
01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I thought they also don't count tires, brake pads, or fire extinguisher towards the $500 limit, but if the judges don't believe you spent $500 or less on the car (not counting safety), they can also give you penalty laps?

They do all kinds of funny things if they suspect you of "cheating" in one way or another, which includes the cost of the car. Penalty laps is probably the mildest of the things... lol

Sometimes it goes as far as destroying your car, depending on what the offense is! I think I once read that they allowed people to beat the shit out of a car with bats or something like that...

3ZHPGUY
01-08-2013, 03:54 PM
nelson ledges 24 hours lemons has been around for years, I've never done it but hear its a blast from people that have. Google nelson ledges 24 hours lemons and you'll find a ton of info about it. I know a few guys in this team and actually had to Tech this car for a HPDS at Mid-Ohio 2 years ago, LOL. http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lespaulman16
01-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Great series. I have not run Lemons, but I have run Chump Car on multiple occasions (Saturn SL, Ford Colt, VW Cabrio). Each time has been a great experience!!

Dave_B
01-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Was a driver the first year at CMP in Kershaw, SC and pitted the next year.

It's an absolute BLAST!!! We ran a Civic hatchback.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/MiataContact.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/MeDraftingMercedesT1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/PhuckingHotinCar.jpg

What I can say is the first year don't expect to win anything. Just go have fun. It's the 2nd and 3rd years (you can keep your previous years mods and add another $500) you'll really start seeing things happen. All said and done, it's well WELL worth the cost of admission.

Also, I can confirm a few questions on here:

It's true that safety items do NOT count towards the $500. So brakes, tires, seats, extinguisher, cage and so on.

Yes, the can and sometimes WILL take/buy your car for $500 if they deem fit. Or crush it, or let others beat it up, or weld on spikes pointed TOWARDS your own radiator... I've seen them even make an entire team wait a few laps while doing cadences in the pits. It's all in good times and spirits.

Oh, and Ebay parts here, those knock off, never fit parts for 3 and 5 dollars are winners. We ran ebay coilovers for $35 and had to prove to the judges where we got them from and what price. KEEP RECEIPTS!!!