PDA

View Full Version : What shocks/struts for stock ZHP springs?

Beau B
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
I have been researching what shocks/struts to get, but all I can find is springs/struts with new springs. I really want to keep my stock ZHP springs so that is not really an option. Can I run Bilstein Sports or Koni's? I am hoping to spend around $600 or less. This is for my daily driver that will not see much track time/auto x's except once or twice a year, but I drive 100 miles round trip so I would like something with a lifetime warrenty like Koni or Bilstein. Any help would be great thanks!

Beau

midlandtech
01-12-2013, 04:45 PM
bilsteins

nike001
01-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Bilsteins or Koni's will work. Doesn't really matter.

The big noticeable things aren't due to the shocks, moreso the springs. So any difference you'll feel will be minimal. You might not even feel a difference.

MiniD
01-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Beau, I have Koni with stock ZHP springs. Although I am going to get rid of the ZHP springs, it does ride phenomenal.

Crickett
01-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Lemme jump in with my questions, too: I know Konis & Bilsteins are considered "OEM replacements", but – aside from their price – are they significantly better than the OE sport struts/shocks? Equivalent ride, longevity, etc.? And (after looking around ECS's suspension page) when/why would one choose the Koni yellows over the oranges (assuming the desire for stock-equivalent springs)?

Also, aside from desiring a lower ride height, should a ZHP owner consider replacing OE springs with 100k+ miles on them? I assume they do wear out some, but how much? I'd assume much less so than the struts/shocks. Is there a generally agreed-upon point that you should replace the OE springs?

/suspension newb questions

nike001
01-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty, so there's that.

There is no really wearing out of springs. Either they're good or they're bad. No way to tell when they're on their way out either.. because they're just springs. They'll break when they want.

Hermes
01-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Koni Yellows

/thread

echo46
01-13-2013, 08:01 AM
As stated above, Bilsteins have the lifetime warranty and are well made. I just replaced the shocks and struts on my e36 with Bilsteins. The e36 has 95,000 miles and both shocks and both struts were blown. Don't know when it happened as the car still rode nice. I think springs are good for at least 150,000 unless the rust, compress and/or brake. You can"t go wrong with Bilsteins. I think the Sports lower the car a bit though.

Beau B
01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I think I have narrowed down to the Koni Oranges or Bilstein Sports.. I have read good reviews of the Koni Oranges but have yet to run anything on my other cars other than Koni Yellows or Bilstein Sports.. Being that this is my daily and I drive alot I am leaning towards the Koni Oranges and using the saved money to replace the CABs, tie rods etc.. I will keep this updated when I make my final decision etc..

Beau

webster
01-15-2013, 09:35 AM
i am thinking about going Koni FSD with OE springs when i do the suspension replacement...

edlvrt
01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I ordered the Koni FSD shocks and will install them with the stock springs. I'll give my impressions once they are installed.

Dave1027
02-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I think I have narrowed down to the Koni Oranges or Bilstein Sports.. I have read good reviews of the Koni Oranges but have yet to run anything on my other cars other than Koni Yellows or Bilstein Sports.. Being that this is my daily and I drive alot I am leaning towards the Koni Oranges and using the saved money to replace the CABs, tie rods etc.. I will keep this updated when I make my final decision etc..

I was also looking at the orange Konis. I do not want a real stiff suspension. I would like a smoother ride. I don't want to bounce on the freeway.

The oembimmer parts website says the touring Bilsteins are not for the ZHP. Why not?

az3579
02-03-2013, 05:19 PM
The oembimmer parts website says the touring Bilsteins are not for the ZHP. Why not?

I think because they're lesser shocks than what go in the ZHP.

WOLFN8TR
02-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Sub'd as I still need to do my Suspension.

Tnhl1989
02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Any recommendations on coil overs since we are on the topic of suspensions? Or any recommendations on springs as well.

I am not sure if one of my struts is gone but the front left wheel has dust all in the middle it while the other wheels are good. I don't believe that it is a stuck caliper but I have yet to really check it.

az3579
02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Any recommendations on coil overs since we are on the topic of suspensions? Or any recommendations on springs as well.

I am not sure if one of my struts is gone but the front left wheel has dust all in the middle it while the other wheels are good. I don't believe that it is a stuck caliper but I have yet to really check it.

If it was a stuck piston or caliper, you would have smelled brakes by now and would've had excessive heat coming from your wheel area. Ask me how I know. :(
Let's just say, there's a reason why my BMW Performance 6-piston calipers have been sitting in a box for almost a year now. :shifty

alexandre
02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm also shopping around for shocks/struts for all 4 corners. I don't want a drop as the roads here are garbage. OEM Sachs-Boge runs $72x2 for rear and $152x2 for front (FCP). Looking for best quality at this price point (I'd rather not go over 450 as I'll be replacing my entire suspension). Are Konis or Bilsteins better options?

edlvrt
02-06-2013, 08:17 AM
I installed my Koni FSDs last weekend and have enjoyed the slightly smoother ride around town. Most of the roads here are straight, so I haven't had the chance to properly see how they perform on a twisty road, but I am very happy with them for few times I have been able to push the car. She no longer crashes over expansion joints and seems to respond quicker in the transitions from turn to turn. I purchased them for $630 shipped from Mod Bargains. Be aware that if you do consider FSDs, they have been back ordered for the last few months and you may need to wait in line.

LivesNearCostco
02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
I've had a very good experience with Ground Control coilovers. Started with OEM springs on GC dampers and street camber plates. Upgraded to coilovers with Eibach 375/430 springs, then 440/547 lb/in springs. If this were more of a dedicated AutoX/track car, I would go to 550/650 springs.

If I had to do it all over again I would still get the same Ground Control kit but skip the OEM springs stage, and get their E46 hybrid camber plates for more camber and caster adjustment--they didn't exist when I bought my kit. I can't personally say they are better performing than any other coilover, since the only other one I tried was OEM. But the car has a lot of grip, the quality is great, and the service superb.

if you believe the forum traffic at BF.com, then the story is....

Ground Control Koni-based coilovers are a solid solution proven by many racers and autoXers, similar in performance to TC Kline single adjustable coilovers.
Eibach Race Springs are great, on par with Hyperco springs. Swift springs might be better.
GC and Vorshlag camber plates are the best available for BMWs
AST 4100/4200 dampers perform better than GC/TCK, but some users had reliability issues. AST 4150/4250 should be better performing and more reliable than AST4x00 but they're too new for many reviews
JRZ, Ohlin and Penske are at another level above GC, TCK, and AST for racing, both in performance and cost ($3,000 to $8,000 per set)
Some believe TRM and Motion Control (maybe Fortune Auto/BWS) coilovers are better than GC and TCK, at a similar price point
If you can't afford GC coilovers, BC Racing or KWV1 might be the best choice
If you want to start a small flamewar on BF.com, ask which is more reliable, AST or TRM coilovers and who makes better camber plates, GC or Vorshlag.

Edit: Looks like the Motion Control single-adjustable non-remote-reservoir dampers list at $2650/set, so maybe $2000 actual price but springs and camber plates are probably extra on top of that so not in the same price range as GC or TCK kits.

chris
02-07-2013, 08:15 AM
...I purchased them for $630 shipped from Mod Bargains...
Looks like $639 + shipping, was there a coupon code or something?

edlvrt
02-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Looks like $639 + shipping, was there a coupon code or something?

Yeah, I ordered them back on Black Friday, and they had a $40 or so coupon for that day only. Even before the coupon, they were the lowest price that I could find. But because of the back-order status, I did not receive them until three weeks ago.

Dave1027
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I installed Koni Str.T struts (and new mounts) over the weekend. Read many good reviews and decided to take a chance on them since they were very reasonably priced. They are just as firm/compliant as the stock Sach/BMW units but with a smoother ride. They soak up bumps in the road better. I'm very happy with them. Also installed tower reinforcement plates.

The install was quite a learning experience. Couple of points, if you get this Koni model be sure to also buy boots because these don't come with new ones. You'll need to compress the springs to fit the fronts up into the towers because they will extend too far and you won't be able to get the bottom of the strut into the knuckle. So this means you need to compress the springs to get them onto the strut and again to install onto the car. I guess I could have removed or loosened the hub but I found it simpler to compress the spring.

MooseX
05-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Are ZHP FSD's the same as stock E46?

chris
05-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Are ZHP FSD's the same as stock E46?
Same as the sport suspension