PDA

View Full Version : If I were to Super Charge Lucy.....

Ryans323i
01-15-2013, 08:47 AM
do I have to upgrade any stock parts on her?

I'm daydreaming here, but I'm looking at the ESS stage 1 for my 323i. Would I have to upgrade other parts, like the clutch, differential, other things?

Lucy's got bigger brakes all around and a lowered suspension, and that's it for performance.

Torxuvin
01-15-2013, 08:49 AM

I'm daydreaming here, but I'm looking at the ESS stage 1 for my 323i. Would I have to upgrade other parts, like the clutch, differential, other things?

Lucy's got bigger brakes all around and a lowered suspension, and that's it for performance.

I know the 330i clutch is pretty stout. Not sure about the 323. IMO I would put a limited slip in. That said, the 335i has an open differential, and it has what I would expect your goal to be around power wise.

I wholeheartedly support the venture though. Esp bc I don't see you ever getting rid of her :cheers

johnrando
01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Others will chime in, but I've always heard a better water pump (like a Stewart) is recommended. I hope this happens for you Ryan! I'd love one to but it's likely not in my future.

Hornung418
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM

M54B30 manifold and MS43 DME swap first. Then you can run 325i software and then get it tuned for that.

From a GS3, this was sent.

mimalmo
01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
I would do the following:
clutch - plate, disc, bearing
driveline - LSD, bushings, guibo, etc.
cooling system - water pump, hoses, fluid, t-stat
ignition system - coils, wires, plugs

Lastly, I would have a BLAST driving it!

Ryans323i
01-15-2013, 09:55 AM
M54B30 manifold and MS43 DME swap first. Then you can run 325i software and then get it tuned for that.

The 325 Stage 1 only offers 5 more horse power and is 5 NM less of torque than the 323i stage 1. Seems like a lot of extra work, for not a lot of gains. And I'm a torque lover, so more the merrier.

I would do the following:
clutch - plate, disc, bearing
driveline - LSD, bushings, guibo, etc.
cooling system - water pump, hoses, fluid, t-stat
ignition system - coils, wires, plugs

Lastly, I would have a BLAST driving it!

Are you recommend that I just replace the old parts with new OE parts, or upgrade them. If so, to what? ( I did understand the upgrade to a LSD)

Hornung418
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
The 325 Stage 1 only offers 5 more horse power and is 5 NM less of torque than the 323i stage 1. Seems like a lot of extra work, for not a lot of gains. And I'm a torque lover, so more the merrier.

You'll be starting out at just under 180 whp before the supercharger if you run the 325 s/w with the 330 intake stuff and headers. Just a suggestion. And it costs a lot less to do that than to S/C a restrictive manifold ;)

EDIT: So this would be the one that mounts to the head Like Jon Estrella's? If so then disregard. But I would consider cams so you can make more power with the limited boost. Then get the CR down below 9.0 so you can crank up the boost.

Ryans323i
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
You'll be starting out at just under 180 whp before the supercharger if you run the 325 s/w with the 330 intake stuff and headers. Just a suggestion. And it costs a lot less to do that than to S/C a restrictive manifold ;)

EDIT: So this would be the one that mounts to the head Like Jon Estrella's? If so then disregard. But I would consider cams so you can make more power with the limited boost. Then get the CR down below 9.0 so you can crank up the boost.

I believe it mounts to the head since the kit comes with it's own ESS intake manifold. CR= Compression ratio?

I'm just mostly concerned about the parts on my car not being able to handle the added HP and Torque. Maybe I should check out Jon's build thread and see what he's done.

Mtnman
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Buy Jon's car.
Garage lucy
Done.

Ryans323i
01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
I already thought about trying to sell Lucy and buy Jon's car. But I'd/we'd still wouldn't be able to afford it comfortably. The added insurance and car payment would be too much. But I might be able to convince Kyle to put Lucy's upgrades on a credit card and pay a couple hundred dollars a month

mimalmo
01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Are you recommend that I just replace the old parts with new OE parts, or upgrade them. If so, to what? ( I did understand the upgrade to a LSD)

In most cases the upgraded parts will be priced similar to the OEM stuff. I would upgrade wherever you can.

Powerflex for the bushings

Somethign like this for the clutch
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1758-e36-e46-z3-z4-hd-clutch-and-flywheel-kit.aspx

Cooling system get the water pump with the metal housing

The ignition stuff is just a recommendation to freshen everything. Boost with a weak spark is a bad combo.

Ryans323i
01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks Eli. Good info.

I just read Jon's ESS ZHP build thread. I think the biggest thing I'm walking away knowing, I'm going to have to upgrade the exhaust. But who doesn't want to do that anyways!

Mtnman
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
In for pics! Hell, im in for helping out! (As long as the super charger install comes with beer)

derbo
01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
IMHO,

I would check the health of your engine prior to supercharging. Do a compression test, leakdown test and make sure there are no major maintenance items required before you add extra power into it.

My major concerns for supercharging:

-health of the engine (condition of rings/valve seats)
-how much power the clutch can handle
-headlift (possible with boost, perhaps add headstuds)

Those are the first and foremost major items I would be concern for the initial install.

upgradable items:
-Exhaust (cats or no cats?)
-Clutch
-Crankcase ventilation replacement (breather catch can)

static667
01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
You would want to go with some heavier engine mounts and probably even transmission mounts. Get a new guibo and make sure everything in the drivetrain is in good shape. A LSD would be a nice addition.

Ryans323i
01-16-2013, 07:51 AM
IMHO,

I would check the health of your engine prior to supercharging. Do a compression test, leakdown test and make sure there are no major maintenance items required before you add extra power into it.

My major concerns for supercharging:

-health of the engine (condition of rings/valve seats)
-how much power the clutch can handle
-headlift (possible with boost, perhaps add headstuds)

Those are the first and foremost major items I would be concern for the initial install.

upgradable items:
-Exhaust (cats or no cats?)
-Clutch
-Crankcase ventilation replacement (breather catch can)

Great suggestions. Definitely need to look into if my motor can handle it. Can any shop do a compression test or does it have to be BMW specific? I know a pretty good shop but they mostly build Hondas.

You would want to go with some heavier engine mounts and probably even transmission mounts. Get a new guibo and make sure everything in the drivetrain is in good shape. A LSD would be a nice addition.

Other than the LSD, that's all on my list to do. Great reminder Kyle. Now I'll have to figure if I should do racing mounts or OE standard. I believe I've had this conversation with Justin before, race vs standard, but being prepared for SCing would add a new dynamic, huh.

ejp2fast
02-25-2013, 06:31 PM
are there any companies that make a 'bolt on' supercharger kit for the ZHP's?
VF engineering has one in "final software test" for the ZHP.
http://vf-engineering.com/other-bmw/bmw-e46/

Johnmadd
02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
are there any companies that make a 'bolt on' supercharger kit for the ZHP's?
VF engineering has one in "final software test" for the ZHP.
http://vf-engineering.com/other-bmw/bmw-e46/

ESS

ejp2fast
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
any of the mafia running their ZHP's boosted?

johnrando
02-27-2013, 02:32 PM
there are 3 or 4 that I know of.