PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Stop

kayger12
01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Got the clutch stop done.

Trip to Lowe's, $4.63, and about 1 minute of my time with this DIY. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=206363)

Elevator bolt is Lowe's part #135526 ($1.15)
1 1/2" Gripper Pads part#54257 ($3.48)

The OEM clutch stop
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-01-25_21-41-56_352.jpg

New clutch stop
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-01-25_21-42-49_878.jpg

Angle for perspective (the OEM sat flush against the carpeting)
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-01-25_21-43-12_65.jpg

I only got to drive it for about 15 minutes coming home (did the mod right in the Target parking lot while the wife was in the store). It definitely makes a difference as far as shortening the travel I normally would induce with the clutch.

I'll let you know how it feels after a few days of driving.

jjcools
01-25-2011, 07:53 PM
NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to Lowes tomorrow on my way home.

danewilson77
01-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Thanks for sharing Boss. Well done.

billschusteriv
01-26-2011, 06:14 AM
I may have missed it but - is there a thread that discusses the purpose of this mod?

Are there clutch wear issues that will arise from not fully engaging the clutch?

I'm just asking as I replaced the clutch in my e30 recently and this mod may be useful for me to implement over there...

jjcools
01-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Not wear but better feel due to the shorter push. Just gives you a tad less travel, so less dead spot.

Linh
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
1+ on getting rid of that dead spot.

Looks OEM and relatively cheap to do.

jjcools
01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Headed to Lowe's now

kayger12
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Nice.

Curious to see your opinion on it.

jjcools
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Fail, only 2" so I need to cut it first.

kayger12
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Fail, only 2" so I need to cut it first.

Ugh, I bought a 2 inch as well to see if I could get more play out, but it was a little too long.

Let me know how much you cut off. If you can get away with taking a 1/4 inch off, I'll cut my 2 inch down and use that instead.

MasterC17
01-27-2011, 05:07 PM
1.5" seemed to place it exactly where the clutch allows the car to start on my car. Personally, I like it better without the clutch stop. I had one in and I felt the clutch wasn't engaging all the way. With it out my shifts seemed to be easier and smoother. I did like the lack of dead space, but not if the clutch wasn't engaging all the way.

kayger12
01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
1.5" seemed to place it exactly where the clutch allows the car to start on my car. Personally, I like it better without the clutch stop. I had one in and I felt the clutch wasn't engaging all the way. With it out my shifts seemed to be easier and smoother. I did like the lack of dead space, but not if the clutch wasn't engaging all the way.

That definitely would not be good. My clutch feels like it's engaging fully. Certainly will pay close attention to it going forward...

az3579
01-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Not wear but better feel due to the shorter push. Just gives you a tad less travel, so less dead spot.

Well...

Exactly. I really like the dead spot; it seems to give me better fine-tuning ability and massively helps the smoothness of my shifting. Whenever I drive a car with a very short clutch travel, I can never really quite get used to it without spending a massive amount of time in the car.

:dunno

ZHP-FTW
01-29-2011, 01:02 AM
I have done this clutch stop as well, but I'm curious if anyone has the same problem as me. My issue is I can't get my clutch stop perfect because my engine start engage point is different than my normal drive engage point.

az3579
01-29-2011, 05:35 AM
I have done this clutch stop as well, but I'm curious if anyone has the same problem as me. My issue is I can't get my clutch stop perfect because my engine start engage point is different than my normal drive engage point.

That's due to the switch that senses when the clutch pedal is pressed. Lower it a little and you won't have that problem.

kayger12
01-29-2011, 05:40 AM

I think I know what you're getting at-- yes, if you get the clutch stop in the perfect position on mine to where you are just a smidge before clutch release/drive engage, it's not depressed far enough for the start switch. In order to clear the start switch, the clutch stop will end up in a position where you still have a little travel before the drive engage point.

ZHP-FTW
01-29-2011, 08:51 PM
That's due to the switch that senses when the clutch pedal is pressed. Lower it a little and you won't have that problem.

Can you explain to me how to adjust this switch? Thanks.

az3579
01-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Can you explain to me how to adjust this switch? Thanks.

I meant lower the clutch stop, not the switch. The switch is fixed.

JohnnyGraphic
01-30-2011, 07:23 AM
I bought the UUC clutch stop when I first bought my car. The bolt on it was way too long. I had to cut off quite a bit too. Don't remember how much though. It's been so long that I don't remember if I had to adjust for the clutch engagement position or the start sensor position. It has a nut that you could adjust to keep the clutch stop from rotating and moving down from use. I used that to adjust it. I've gotten used to the short clutch movement. Don't really seem to notice it much anymore.

Johnny

kayger12
01-30-2011, 07:30 AM
I bought the UUC clutch stop when I first bought my car. The bolt on it was way too long. I had to cut off quite a bit too. Don't remember how much though. It's been so long that I don't remember if I had to adjust for the clutch engagement position or the start sensor position. It has a nut that you could adjust to keep the clutch stop from rotating and moving down from use. I used that to adjust it. I've gotten used to the short clutch movement. Don't really seem to notice it much anymore.

Johnny

Was thinking of doing the same thing as far as using a nut on the elevator bolt to lock it in just a hair further out than it is now.

I've been driving with it for a few hundred miles now and I'm very happy with the feel.

mr hish
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Guys sry for asking but what is the purpose of this thing?

danewilson77
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
To limit how far you can push your clutch in....

JohnnyGraphic
01-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Was thinking of doing the same thing as far as using a nut on the elevator bolt to lock it in just a hair further out than it is now.

I've been driving with it for a few hundred miles now and I'm very happy with the feel.

Oh, one other thing: Just a drop of Loc-tite to keep the nut in place.

kayger12
01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Oh, one other thing: Just a drop of Loc-tite to keep the nut in place.

Will do. Thanks.

jjcools
02-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I finally finished mine. Both stores I went to were out of the bolts I needed so I cut a 2" down. It is a different feel.

I do want to make sure I am getting the engagement I need when shifting. It starts and no problems there but I feel like the shifts might be a tad rougher but no movement or anything when stopped and running through the gears while idle.

kayger12
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
I finally finished mine. Both stores I went to were out of the bolts I needed so I cut a 2" down. It is a different feel.

I do want to make sure I am getting the engagement I need when shifting. It starts and no problems there but I feel like the shifts might be a tad rougher but no movement or anything when stopped and running through the gears while idle.

I definitely needed a little time to adjust to it. Initially feels like you're getting drive engagement much faster because of the shorter travel.

Causes your shifts to be a little less smooth until you adjust.

HaloArchive
02-07-2011, 05:21 PM
So, I bought a 2" and, cut off about .25", added a pad (about .125"), it is perfect now and I have totally minimized the dead spot. There is about 1/16" dead spot now :D. I took many trips in and out of the car to cut it down a smidgen at a time until the car started then I cut a little bit more off, added a pad and called it good!

kayger12
02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
So, I bought a 2" and, cut off about .25", added a pad (about .125"), it is perfect now and I have totally minimized the dead spot. There is about 1/16" dead spot now :D. I took many trips in and out of the car to cut it down a smidgen at a time until the car started then I cut a little bit more off, added a pad and called it good!

Good info. Thanks.

MasterC17
02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I retract my previous statement. I cut it down to about 1 1/4 inches with the little 1/8 or so pad. After not driving with it for months, going back to it is great. It feels so much better and makes shifting so much easier. I was so impressed I went and bought an actual elevator bolt (had a sort of elevator bolt before) and I'm sure that will make it that much better. I like it!

pyreguy
02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Looking into this...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

kayger12
02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
So worth it, Lance.

MasterC17
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
+1, I thought I didn't like it but now I'm in love :wub

Plus it costs only $1.75 and is incredibly easy to reverse!

kayger12
02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
+1, I thought I didn't like it but now I'm in love :wub

Plus it costs only $1.75 and is incredibly easy to reverse!

Exactly-- about as low risk as you can get in the mod department.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Can't lose on that one. Khoa has been telling me to get one of these clutch stops for each of my cars. Maybe I'll do it when we remove the CDVs.

Rovert
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Maybe??? That's like saying maybe I'll fill up but only when the gas runs out. Get it now! I've had it for almost 100,000 miles. So much easier to drive. Everyone who drives my car feels at peace with the shifting within the first few minutes and I can tell. My neck doesn't jerk back and forth upon shift!

MrMaico
02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I always felt like in order to get the perfect reach to the shifter, steering wheel and pedals that I had to have my seat that little bit farther forward then I liked in order to get full disengagement of the clutch. Sure, I just could have adjusted the steering wheel but the reach to the shifter still didn't feel ideal.

So I made myself a custom clutch pedal pad. I bought another pad and made a rubber plug to fill the space between the two and glued them together with black silicone and now along with a clutch stop it feels perfect. Sure, you have to lift your foot that extra 1/2 inch to get it on the clutch pedal but it took no time at all to get used to.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/IMG0741/1192303126_z4h5q-L.jpg

pyreguy
04-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Going do this today. About to head to Lowe's and get the part listed in the first post and go from there. I may buy different sized elevator bolts just in case. I will post up what I end up using sizewise later today. Probably. Tomorrow at the latest....

Asheville is a beautiful 76 degrees today....

pyreguy
04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Done! My initial reaction is quite favorable. I used the 1.5" bolt with the rubber stopper and just ran it down all the way to the bottom. I like it. I may adjust it out some later if I feel the need. I'm glad I finally did this. i think everyone should try this!

Mtnman
04-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I think you should screw it out further......personally...

kayger12
04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Glad you like it, Lance. Good call getting it done.

I would never go back...

pyreguy
04-08-2011, 08:56 AM

You're sitting next to me, you coulda just told me :biggrin

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
You're sitting next to me, you coulda just told me :biggrin

LOL.

iPad. Forum Runner. Still winning.

Crickett
04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
The idea is to have it screwed out to just below the fully-engaged point, eliminating as much pedal travel as possible while still enabling full clutch engagement. You'll probably have to have it screwed down a bit further to hit the @#!!$ "clutch-in-before-you-can-start-the-car" switch, though.

Ryans323i
04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Sweet Lance, you're going to have to let me drive your car, just so I can feel the difference. :eeps

pyreguy
04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't mind you taking it out for a spin Ryan. It's all good.

adb1028
04-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Great write up :thumbup
Just installed mine yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it so far. I found that I like to have a little dead spot so I left like 1/4 inch of play before the engage point. It's definitely going to take some getting used to, but I have found my shifts to quicker and smoother. I think a CDV delete is up next.

gammagoblin
12-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Figured I'd add my experience here. Did the clutch stop last night. Hit up Lowes and grabbed a 3/8x1.5" elevator bolt and felt pad.

Install - unscrew oem clutch stop by hand. Screw in bolt by hand. Stick on pad. Win.

Feels awesome! Clutch engagement is freaking perfect. No issues starting car. 04 zhp sedan, for reference...

kayger12
12-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Good deal.

I'm still loving mine. I would never go back.

zhp43867
12-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Make sure you have it screwed in far enough for the sensor, and then a little more. If it's "on the edge" when you are doing quick WOT shifts the car may not always think the clutch is depressed and it will continue to rev, the rpms will actually go up when you push the clutch, which greatly accelerates wear on the clutch. Don't mean to be a negative nancy, just a friendly warning!

kayger12
12-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Make sure you have it screwed in far enough for the sensor, and then a little more. If it's "on the edge" when you are doing quick WOT shifts the car may not always think the clutch is depressed and it will continue to rev, the rpms will actually go up when you push the clutch, which greatly accelerates wear on the clutch. Don't mean to be a negative nancy, just a friendly warning!

Good info right there.

brettbimmer
12-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I have had a UUC clutch stop in my E36 for a few years and love it, but didn't think it was really feasible with the E46 clutch sensor startup check. So, if the clutch check at startup is turned off, does that mean that it would make for a very easy install with the clutch stop, and be able to use one of the UUC setups easily?

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 08:23 AM
I assume so but you would have to start the car in neutral right? I think DW has this programming done where he can start the car without the clutch in when he is in neutral.

danewilson77
12-22-2011, 08:34 AM
I assume so but you would have to start the car in neutral right? I think DW has this programming done where he can start the car without the clutch in when he is in neutral.

Yes

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
12-22-2011, 08:40 AM
My clutch stop does not in any way interfere with engine start nor cause any issues.

gammagoblin
12-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Same here. Screwed in the new one and started right up. No messing with switches or programming. Suweeet mod

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 08:47 AM
So does the gripper pad screw onto the other end of the bolt? I may do this this afternoon.

kayger12
12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Negative. The elevator bolt already has a big, flat head on it.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96972&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1156257515
The gripper pad just sticks on to the large flat head of the bolt so you're not slamming your plastic clutch pedal into a metal bolt.

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Roger, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayger12
12-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

az3579
12-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Yes, Brett. This check can be disabled, so that should make the location of that sensor irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

brettbimmer
12-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, Brett. This check can be disabled, so that should make the location of that sensor irrelevant.

Awesome, Thanks Wobbie! :fistpump That is what I thought after reading about the clutch check in another thread, but wanted to be 100% sure. Now to borrow my mechanic's computer for a bit...

MrMaico
12-24-2011, 08:12 AM

:scratchinghead Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but if you press the clutch in while standing on the gas and in a gear there isn't anything to stop the engine from hitting the rev limiter. The clutch switch is just a safety switch to prevent you from starting the car without first depressing the clutch. AFAIK, there isn't anything to prevent it from hitting the rev limiter if you press the clutch while on the gas.

Maybe you could post a link to something that explains this?

az3579
12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
The rev limiter is electronically controlled. The only way to get past it is to money shift.

MrMaico
12-24-2011, 09:41 AM
The rev limiter is electronically controlled. The only way to get past it is to money shift.

Were you replying to my post BP? Do you follow what he is saying in his post? It looks to me like he is saying that somehow the clutch switch will limit engine rpm (if the clutch stop is adjusted correctly) if you press the clutch at high throttle positions. That's what the rev limiter is for....it has nothing to do with the clutch safety switch.

webster
12-24-2011, 11:05 AM
bought a clutch stop today from here:

http://www.clutchstopper.com/

$9.95 w/ free shipping. i know i could make one myself for ~$5 but i'm lazy and would rather have it just show up at my door lol

danewilson77
12-24-2011, 03:50 PM
bought a clutch stop today from here:<br />
<br />
http://www.clutchstopper.com/<br />
<br />
$9.95 w/ free shipping. i know i could make one myself for ~$5 but i'm lazy and would rather have it just show up at my door lol

Bought.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

edlvrt
12-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Merry Christmas to me! I picked the Lowe's special yesterday. Works great.

zhp43867
12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
:scratchinghead Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but if you press the clutch in while standing on the gas and in a gear there isn't anything to stop the engine from hitting the rev limiter. The clutch switch is just a safety switch to prevent you from starting the car without first depressing the clutch. AFAIK, there isn't anything to prevent it from hitting the rev limiter if you press the clutch while on the gas.

Maybe you could post a link to something that explains this?

The car certainly will hit the rev limiter, this won't cause the car to over rev. However if you are shifting WOT, or not even, at say 4500-6000rpm and don't kick your foot all the way to the floor (hence not past the sensor), but still past the point of mechanical disengagement of the clutch, the car will continue to rev upwards even if you lift off of the gas. That will cause increased wear on the clutch, by essentially "power shifting", as some F/I guys do.

az3579
12-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Were you replying to my post BP? Do you follow what he is saying in his post? It looks to me like he is saying that somehow the clutch switch will limit engine rpm (if the clutch stop is adjusted correctly) if you press the clutch at high throttle positions. That's what the rev limiter is for....it has nothing to do with the clutch safety switch.

I don't know man... I get the feeling We're not talking about the same thing.

webster
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
so after a couple days with the clutch stop in, i must say i like it. allows for much smoother shifting. also helps with stop-go at very low speeds.

i plan on adjusting it a little to see what incrememental differences feel like...

kayger12
01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
:like

johnnyrad
01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
bought a clutch stop today from here:

http://www.clutchstopper.com/

Purchased. Love online purchasing.

danewilson77
01-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Yup...I just installed that exact stop from that exact link. Love it.

johnnyrad
01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
^yeeeeuuupp! :)

Sorry addicted to Storage Wars now.

zj96sc
01-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I just bought 3 of them jokers. Never had one, but everyone raves. Gonna have to try it.

danewilson77
01-12-2012, 05:43 PM
3?

Rovert
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I think he's trying to install below the brake and throttle. Brake pads will last longer, and fuel will last longer. Bad idea though..... :P

zj96sc
01-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Rovert nailed it. Brake and throttle stop. I like short throws on all mah pedals.

Got an E30 buddy at work that i'm pretty sure will dig one, then one more for whoever since it was $9.95.

danewilson77
01-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Got an E30 buddy at work that i'm pretty sure will dig one, then one more for whoever since it was $9.95.

You are a good friend.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

UdubBadger
01-13-2012, 07:37 AM
I think he's trying to install below the brake and throttle. Brake pads will last longer, and fuel will last longer. Bad idea though..... :P

:rofl

GT172I
01-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Rovert nailed it. Brake and throttle stop. I like short throws on all mah pedals.

dibs :shifty

edlvrt
01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Is the only way to enable the no clutch start through coding, or is there another method? I would like to un-thread my stop to eliminate some more of the extra pedal throw, but doing so doesn't allow me to start my car. Thanks

Crickett
01-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Is the only way to enable the no clutch start through coding, or is there another method? I would like to un-thread my stop to eliminate some more of the extra pedal throw, but doing so doesn't allow me to start my car. Thanks

I did it through coding, though I think you could physically remove / disable the switch . . .

zj96sc
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
dibs :shifty

had a hunch. that's why i grabbed the 3rd.

MrMaico
01-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Here's another way.......

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=211320

zj96sc
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
so....I haven't heard anything from this guy. No emails, no ship confirmation, no product. nada. emailed him, we'll see what's up.

edit: he did respond quickly, he says no tracking because it is usps, which is pretty incorrect but I understand what he's getting at. he says he'll "follow up tomorrow."

so......guess we'll see.

webster
01-23-2012, 08:55 AM
so....I haven't heard anything from this guy. No emails, no ship confirmation, no product. nada. emailed him, we'll see what's up.

edit: he did respond quickly, he says no tracking because it is usps, which is pretty incorrect but I understand what he's getting at. he says he'll "follow up tomorrow."

so......guess we'll see.

i should have posted my experience here too. the clutchstopper.com guy sucks. i bought one and 2 weeks later i sent him an email when it was still not yet received. he said it "must have gotten lost in the mail" because he sent it out a week ago, even though i never got a shipping confirmation. so he said he sent a 2nd one out. i got the 2nd one a few days later. so all told it took almost 3 weeks.

for $9.95 i didn't care too much but still...would have been nice to receive better communication.

zj96sc
01-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Yeah, him stating that "there is no tracking because I sent it usps" is a pretty strong red flag. I'll forgo the free shipping if it means I actually get tracking on my product!

zj96sc
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Well, this is slowly starting to smell like a situation.

Let me provide the whole email trail:
Order placed 1/12

1/22:

Lawrence,

It has been over one business week with no contact from you in reference to the above order. Please forward tracking information for my shipment at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,

1/22:

Hey paul

There is no tracking info as we ship via usps for free shipping. Ill follow up tomorrow and give you an eta.

1/22:

Understood. Thank you for the email.

If you can let me know when they went in the mail and where you are in the states maybe we can get a better idea if it went missing or not.

Thanks again,
Paul

1/23 9PM (after no followup as indicated):

Lawrence,

Any update on the status of my shipment of 3 clutch stops?

Thanks,

1/23

Says it was shipped. Ill check up with u again later this week

Where are you located?

California. It mustve been shipped late last week. Sorry about the delay.

Lawrence,

Not a problem. Would be good practice to provide a ship notification in the future to eliminate any confusion. USPS from CA to GA might take a few days. I will be in touch.

Thank you,
Paul

So, professionalism, prompt communication, and good business practices are not this guy's calling card.

Will update as progress occurs.

danewilson77
01-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Also might want to author a product review....

zj96sc
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
The saga continues...

1/27/12 (original order date 1/12/12)

Lawrence,

My shipment arrived today, however the shipment only contained 1 (one) clutch stop. The order I placed, 0FT606290U670380E, was for three (3) clutch stops at 9.95 each for a total of $29.85.

Please ship the remaining two (2) clutch stops to fulfill my order as soon as possible and provide delivery confirmation tracking through USPS upon shipment. We are now 15 days from the original order date with the order still unfulfilled.

Thank you,
Paul Keith

kayger12
01-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Wow-- unreal.

danewilson77
01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Ugh...

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zj96sc
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
All 3 were shipped at the same time individually. You should get the rest tomorrow. Strange how they didnt arrive together

we shall see...

webster
01-28-2012, 07:09 AM
why would he send them separately??

kayger12
01-28-2012, 07:13 AM
why would he send them separately??

Either general incompetence, or he owed several clutch stops to several people and figured he could tie a few over with one?

Or both...

zj96sc
01-28-2012, 08:07 AM
because he was putting stamps on small handwritten padded envelopes to keep the shipping costs <$1.50. plausible but still unprofessional.

kayger12
01-28-2012, 12:54 PM
because he was putting stamps on small handwritten padded envelopes to keep the shipping costs <$1.50. plausible but still unprofessional.

Lol-- the hits just keep on coming.

zj96sc
01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
none in the mail today. sigh.

zj96sc
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
So for the first time, today HE emailed ME, and asked me what the status was.

My 2nd of 3 showed up today (individually wrapped again, as he said).

I told him this, and his response:

Gotta love the postal service. Sorry for the hassle. Free shipping makes it difficult for me to use another service.

He's not entirely incorrect on this point. I'm somewhat doubtful they all went in the mail together (I'd assume he made 1 per day and shipped at that pace or something) but his point about free shipping from CA->GA is valid.

Eh, ultimately, if all 3 eventually show up i'm not going to lose any sleep over it. guy runs a loose shop but I'm also paying $9 and no shipping. not the way i'd do it, but hey.

The bigger story is that I got the 1st one installed in my ZHP. and holy hell! what a difference! I wouldn't have believed it could really have that much of an impact, but I'm really blown away. Shifts feel more exact....it is tough to describe but i just feel more 'in tune' with the car. for $9, i'm very happy at the bang/buck.

zj96sc
02-01-2012, 08:15 PM
still no 3rd of 3. classic.

johnnyrad
02-02-2012, 03:15 AM
I ordered the clutch stop from this guy 3 weeks ago and still have not received it. I emailed him and he said he sent it but it must have got lost in the mail. Yea ok..

zj96sc
02-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Yeah, same spiel i'm getting.

gammagoblin
02-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Lowes FTW ;)

webster
02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
lol he told me it must have gotten lost in the mail too. then he said he sent a 2nd one. yeah, whatever dude.

at least the mod is totally awesome. when you finally get it.

wsmeyer
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I used to sell a product on line that is 2 1/2" around and 3/8" thick. They only sold for $2.95 so I would just put them in a thick envelope and send them USPS. About one out of every three envelopes would just vanish in the mail. It got so bad handling complaints that I stopped selling the product.

The other thing that was bizarre is that if I took them to the PO and the clerk would weigh it and measure it, it would be 88 cents and they would put the sticker on it that's generated from their register. But, if I put 88 cents in stamps on it, more often than not it would show up postage due.

William.

zj96sc
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
so, the 3rd was at the post office. underpaid shipping by 60 cents. the slip said 60 DOLLARS so I walked in there thinking I was going to have to reject it. i didn't have any cash, nice lady behind me had 34 cents and the guy at the counter called it even stevens. so, long story short, i've got all 3 stops, 20 days later.

danewilson77
02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Ugh. NIghtmare.

webster
02-03-2012, 01:18 PM
so, the 3rd was at the post office. underpaid shipping by 60 cents. the slip said 60 DOLLARS so I walked in there thinking I was going to have to reject it. i didn't have any cash, nice lady behind me had 34 cents and the guy at the counter called it even stevens. so, long story short, i've got all 3 stops, 20 days later.

sounds like a curb your enthusiasm episode.

johnnyrad
02-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Screw this clutchstooper guy. Almost a month now and I have not recieved it. And he stopped responding to my email's. WTF bro? :foottap So I went to Lowe's and just purchased the bolt and pad. $13 in total for my clutch stop (includes lost 9.95 for the paypal transaction to Clutchstopper.com and $4.xx for Lowe's bolt)..I'll never paypal somebody I don't know ever again. Oh well lesson learned.

zj96sc
02-05-2012, 09:35 AM
he handled it like garbage but in the end made a pretty good effort to set me right. he did indeed ship all 3, and refunded one of the 3 for the trouble.

johnnyrad
02-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Gotta say, it's been a day since I installed the elevator bolt Lowe's style and I love it! Took no time at all to get used to it. After 22 years of driving stick it shouldn't though..Big props to Keith for posting this.

aurelius
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
...I replaced the clutch in my e30 recently and this mod may be useful for me to implement over there...

Bang for the buck, best E30 mod ever. Much more $$ but the "off-road use only" Hella high & low beams are a close 2nd.

I used to sell a product on line that is 2 1/2" around and 3/8" thick. They only sold for $2.95 so I would just put them in a thick envelope and send them USPS.

Funny, I bet yours is what I have in my '87 E30. That version involves a bolt, 2 nuts, a rubber pad and some glue. The 2 nuts are great for adjustability, tho as with the Lowe's setup for E46, I have it screwed all the way down, with both nuts all the way up against the back of the pad.

QC_ZHP
08-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Bump for us new guys, just placed my in-store pick up order @ Lowes. Heading over on my way out of work.

kayger12
08-12-2013, 01:31 PM

QC_ZHP
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
http://s23.postimg.org/z89nyw2p7/2013_08_12_20_26_32_177.jpg

The part numbers were clutch. Great thread:applause

kayger12
08-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Lookin good. How do you like driving with it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

QC_ZHP
08-13-2013, 06:52 AM
It felt real good sitting in traffic this morning on the way to work. I just got the Gruppe M cleaned and back on last night, so I'll have some fun with it later today and really test it out.

RITmusic2k
08-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Heh. Seeing this thread revived put me over the edge. I had to buy some supplies for my shop anyway, so I'm just letting the parts come in along with that stuff. Ordered online, and should be here by the end of the week!

NorCalZman
08-14-2013, 03:56 PM
oh my god. I so need to do this. My legs are on the shorter side and I have to sit way too close to the wheel in order to press the clutch in all the way. I have been searching for solutions to the issue off and on since I bought the car. E46s fits me like a glove in every other way except the clutch distance. Hopefully this will allow me to scoot back a bit! From what I am reading around 2"?

kayger12
08-14-2013, 04:34 PM
^ Sound about right to me.

billyjack
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
:thumbsup I did this the day after I bought my ZHP. Never looked back.

RITmusic2k
08-16-2013, 10:41 AM
So my parts just came in.

HOLY BALLS IT'S WONDERFUL.

It significantly ncreases the perception of 'driving sportiness' in an already sporty car. Literally a 30 second install. Though I did pull it back out to grind down the threading just a touch (I want to make absolutely sure I'm giving enough room for the transmission to decouple completely)...

Anyway, for $5, you absolutely cannot go wrong with this.

I'm probably gonna have to readjust my seat position a little bit, but that's a small chore.

kayger12
08-17-2013, 03:31 AM
^ Haha! Nice!! I always say it's one of the best mods I ever did.

alexandre
08-17-2013, 05:22 AM
I installed this one in my car 2 weeks ago - great quality and not much more than the build-it-yourself solution.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251169672689

Arrived in Maine next day from California on the free shipping.

I love the mod. Can't believe I waited a year to do that!

NorCalZman
08-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Went to lowes today. Will put it in later this week when I drive the car next.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/19/3ysamaze.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NorCalZman
08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
just got back from driving it. I LOVE IT. I can scoot back to a less extreme position. Seems like the clutch grabs about an inch above the stop, so I could probably back it out a bit, huh.

kayger12
08-23-2013, 01:42 AM
I left some play so I can be sure the clutch is fully engaging.

UdubBadger
08-23-2013, 02:49 AM
As did I

Goin' HAM mobile

LivesNearCostco
12-18-2013, 03:17 PM
OK I was about to stop by Lowes after work today and put the parts together, then I saw this and bought the one off eBay for $6.00 + tax. I was looking at the BimmerWorld one made from a hockey puck, but that said you have to modify the clutch pedal switch, and it cost $20. After reading all the positive reviews, I have to try it.

I installed this one in my car 2 weeks ago - great quality and not much more than the build-it-yourself solution.

Arrived in Maine next day from California on the free shipping.

I love the mod. Can't believe I waited a year to do that!

ELCID86
12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Nice stocking stuffer for #1 son.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

damonchoy
01-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Just went to Lowe's and installed this now! I absolutely love it. Best $5-6 I've ever spent.

kayger12
01-20-2014, 05:02 PM

Rovert
01-20-2014, 09:42 PM
http://mycdn3.theshirtlist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Like-A-Boss-Thumbs-Up.jpg

damonchoy
01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
That and I've always found that to fully depress the clutch pedal I've had to sit closer to the wheel and shifter than I'd like. Now that I've installed the clutch stop I can move the seat back a bit so that I can reach everything perfectly!

Vas
02-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Placed an order and will be picking up the items this evening.

Vas
02-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Picked it up from lowes and installed it in their parking lot. Liking it alot

kayger12
02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Picked it up from lowes and installed it in their parking lot. Liking it alot

Avetiso
02-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I need to do this! Now.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Pip
02-12-2014, 08:11 AM
I just did mine the other day and it is more subtle than the cdv delete, but still an improvement on driving the car. Cheap too!

Vas
02-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Cdv delete and clutch stop is great.

alexandre
02-12-2014, 08:40 AM
I need to do this! Now.

I've had that in my car for 9 months, I love it!

RITmusic2k
02-12-2014, 08:46 AM
I was surprised at just how quickly I got used to the new stop position... I can't remember the feeling of the clutch pedal travel before installing.

I gave myself a fair bit of wiggle room past my disengagement point, though - I may bring it up just a bit higher... you just gotta keep chasing that high, man...

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Just did this. Loving the improvement. Thank you, Keith.
I went with a different pad, though. 12353

ELCID86
02-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Always have to be different! ;-) nice job.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Always have to be different! ;-) nice job.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Haha it's a weird complex I have... :biggrin This pad actually has more padding, which is why I chose it. Less impact when I need to hit the clutch fast.

kayger12
02-17-2014, 04:32 PM

Indvdl M
02-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Did this today and now it feels much more like my E36. Love the result and the price.

cakM3
02-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Very nice Keith!!! :thumbsup

RITmusic2k
02-18-2014, 02:32 PM
I went with a different pad, though.

Hey Dario, can you hook a brother up with a part number and vendor for that pad? I'm not liking the one I have on my stop.

yura
02-18-2014, 02:49 PM
You guys have convinced me. Just bought one on eBay for $12 shipped to Canada. Looking forward to it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250989235114?item=250989235114&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

kayger12
02-18-2014, 03:32 PM
You guys have convinced me. Just bought one on eBay for $12 shipped to Canada. Looking forward to it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250989235114?item=250989235114&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Nice! Come on in. The water's warm. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Avetiso
02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Hey Dario, can you hook a brother up with a part number and vendor for that pad? I'm not liking the one I have on my stop.
I'm sorry, I don't have a part number. I bought it from Lowe's, it was right next to the one listed in the original post. You should be able to find it, it's in a pack of 4.

RITmusic2k
02-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Okay, thanks man!

rguti153
02-18-2014, 03:47 PM
:thumbup::thumbup: clutchstop works great

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Dominic
12-10-2015, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry, I don't have a part number. I bought it from Lowes, it was right next to the one listed in the original post. You should be able to find it, it's in a pack of 4.

I just installed the Lowe's clutch stop this morning and it's fantastic! I also preferred the pad that Avetiso recommended. It's a little thicker and seems more sturdy. The Lowes part number is 310995. I've had a clutch stop in my e30 M3 for so long that I forgot it was there, and I was wondering my I couldn't seem to shift smoothly in the ZHP. When I drove the M3 again recently and realized that the clutch engages immediately with no dead zone I remembered the clutch stop and decided to add one to the ZHP. I love it! Thanks so much to the folks that provided part numbers to make this a cheap and easy install!

By the way, for those debating the length of the elevator bolt to get, in my car, with the 1.5" bolt loosened partially, I can get it far enough out so that the clutch pedal safety switch doesn't allow the car to start. So in my case, unless I want to remove the clutch pedal switch, there's no reason to go with a longer bolt. However, I'm not sure how consistent that would be from car to car, so your mileage may vary...

Dominic

Dual
03-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Continuing on my odd need to step into long-dormant posts- I spent a fair amount of time on this matter today, and tried three US-thread 3/8-16 elevator bolts as an alternative to waiting for perfect metric bargains from ebay or OEM or whatever. These inch-standard screws, if not fastened with threadlock, will come to a thread-mismatch stopping point and require destructive force to get past that. So they set their own position and, at $1.75 ea, gave me a reason to test three lengths.

For me, 1 1/2" was too close to stock and insignificant. I already was shifting within the clutch activation area from experience and was working in an area outside of this stop's range: I never hit it. 2 1/2", on the other hand, seemed to let the clutch work properly (I tested it at length in a parking lot) but got in the way of the shift linkage operating properly. I don't know what that's about. I goes against my understanding of the egineering- that shifts would be blocked when the clutch engagement is cleared. But I don't know much about that.

A 2" bolt worked fine. It's nice to be able slam against a deadstop. For me it's more of a 'one more less thing to think about' rather than 'OMG this improves my performance so much' thing. I use the Lowes part number 310995 pads: the other models have gotten thinner since they first started getting written up and don't look very effective. Hope this helps.

Oh: the worst deal? Try this exceptionally stylish and fully functional (http://www.pedalhaus.com/clutchstops.html) product.

sillieidiot
03-06-2017, 02:17 PM
lol that pedalhaus clutch stop was made based on my home made clutch stop and tested by me. Their first few versions sucked lol I got the final version for free so whatevers. I only like it better because it's rubber at the end so it doesn't feel as hard when I hit the stop. But I don't really use the clutch stop though. Pretty much only when I start the car and occasionally when i'm on hills.

Dual
03-06-2017, 04:12 PM
...I don't really use the clutch stop though. Pretty much only when I start the car and occasionally when i'm on hills.Yeah: right??? Oh well, mine's installed.

Sockethead
03-07-2017, 09:46 AM
I don't think I've ever used a clutch stop in the 40 years I've been driving. The older cars with mechanical linkages were nice because you could adjust it to where you wanted it...

ELCID86
03-07-2017, 03:14 PM
I still like mine.

danewilson77
03-08-2017, 05:07 PM
I still like mine.
+1

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
I found an old rubber UUC clutch stop and threw it in but it was way too big to be able to start the car. Driving tonight, I noticed that I could hear the clutch switch clicking with the pedal almost fully depressed. Maybe 1/2in off the floor at best. So did you guys (1) bypass the switch for startup, (2) add a spacer to the switch contact, or (3) not have an issue with it?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Dual
03-08-2017, 06:23 PM
That's an interesting question. I have my switch disabled in software.

NorCalZman
03-08-2017, 07:16 PM
(3) not have an issue with it for me. I did have to adjust the height a tad to get it just low enough to start the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sockethead
03-09-2017, 07:00 AM
That's an interesting question. I have my switch disabled in software.

This is what I was going to say, you can temporarily bypass the switch and see if you like it...