PDA

View Full Version : Good LED bulbs (interior/exterior) against OEM

BavarianZHP
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Hello all,

I don't relish the thought of posting up a discussed-to-death topic, but I have a lot of questions and would love your opinions. Ok, I have a completely stock silbergrau ZHP saloon and have gone through most of the required preventative maintenance (VCG, Inspection II, vanos, about to start cooling system, etc...). Now it's time for the easy to do mods - starting with lighting.

I'm thinking of picking up OEM clears (through turner) and getting LED's (if the clan approves) all around. I'm looking for error/hyperflash free bulbs that are bright even during sunshine (I want no compromise to safety, I can live with halogen bulbs if need be). In short, I looking for:

Exterior:
LED turn signal bulbs
LED sidemarker bulbs
RCR LED bulbs

Interior:
LED bulbs to replace OEM

I have no interest in LED license plate bulbs or reverse lights. please keep in mind I would prefer the error/hyper flash free bulbs.

Please post up links and your reviews/comments/opinions.

Thanks for your advise, it's always heeded!

BCS_ZHP
01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
I have the LED interior kit from ECSTuning and absolutely no errors, Zisa is the brand name. One oddity is sometimes when installing an LED bulb, it appears to be non-functional at first but turn it 180 degrees in how it mounts and then it works perfectly.

nike001
01-20-2013, 07:20 PM
I have the Khoalty LED interior lights w/ 0 problems and many compliments.

I have Khoalty LED license plate lights too, which are seemingly whiter than the interior lights (probably a newer design). Again, 0 problems, many compliments.

Johal E32
01-20-2013, 07:31 PM
The Ziza kit is awesome, so bright. I am personally not a fan of LED interiors, I prefer the warm, yellow-ish halogen light.

I do have the Khoalty LED license plate bulbs, those are pretty nice.

az3579
01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
I do not think interior lights would cause a bulb-out error.

I have the LED bulbs from Ledautomotive.com. I got them for use in my amber tails. I ordered two pairs of amber and one pair of whites for my brake light portions.

The white bulbs are very bright. They are visible during direct sunlight and are nearly blinding at night, so those are perfect for use in the brake light portion of your housings.

The ambers, however, are very weak. They are only visible in overcast and night conditions.

Both types of bulbs I bought are CANBUS bulbs and have built-in resistors. That means they are bulb-out and hyperflash-free bulbs. $29.99 a pair.

I do not recommend the amber ones, but I do recommend the white ones.

I myself am on the hunt for amber CANBUS hyperflash-free bulbs for my turn signals but can't find any that I KNOW will be bright enough. Everything worth getting all require resistors and flasher modules. It's saddening that nobody seems to make these kinds of bulbs. :(

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

BavarianZHP
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Awesome, thanks for all of your quick responses. Yeah, I have been scouring the VERY limited number of videos depicting amber LED turn signals and they all seem very weak in bright sunlight. Perhaps I'll stick to stealth halogen bulbs for the turn signals for now and wait/experiment on the LEDs. I'll definitely let the family know if I find any that meet our criteria.

BavarianZHP
01-20-2013, 10:01 PM
I have the LED interior kit from ECSTuning and absolutely no errors, Zisa is the brand name. One oddity is sometimes when installing an LED bulb, it appears to be non-functional at first but turn it 180 degrees in how it mounts and then it works perfectly.

Yep, LED bulbs in our cars are inherently polarized, so I would expect them to only work in one orientation (DC). Bulbs that run off AC can be reversed.