PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect BiFecta: AL Bowls with ZKW Lenses. A road to Purgatory

danewilson77
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
I do not wish this pain on anyone. Ayways.....swap is done. Will install headlights tomorrow.

Carnage #1

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2160-1_zpsa70c0f22.jpg

Carnage #2

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2164-1_zps672411ea.jpg

Burned ZKW Bowl #1 - Outer

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2168-1_zps81657e58.jpg

Burned ZKW Bowl #2 - Inner

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2167-1_zpsd68329c0.jpg

The Prize - Crystal Clear ZKW Lense

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2170-1_zps569724ce.jpg

Finished Shot

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2172-1_zps3f821c33.jpg

Low's

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2173-1_zps8c0f4983.jpg

High's

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2174-1_zpse5b1b76e.jpg

This is exactly what mine looked like (I think mine were a little worse as I couldn't even see this far), as I drove don the road. I'll get a new road pic for comparison.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/330iheadlightbrightspic.jpg

Additionally, I found an AL vs. ZKW lense comparison shot that I wanted to share.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/330iheadlightbrightspiczkw.jpg

derbo
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
awesome Dane. Is this really that painful?

danewilson77
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
I would rather do 5 vanos jobs in one day, than ever have to do this again.

I'm praying that tomorrow when everything is plugged in tomorrow they work.

If they don't, the forum is gonna need a new mod to help KG.

The absolute worst part, was taking the ZKW's apart to get the lenses.

The AL's are sooo much easier to take apart.

The best way to affect these repairs, if you have AL's is to just buy the ZKW lenses from the Retrofit Source and install.

I still haven't put the ZKW headlight housings back together with the AL lenses yet. All of that is spare/extra parts. Ballasts, lenses, housings, shrouds, etc.....

I am glad I had the experience though. I'm sure the second time would be much easier.

Thanks to Joop for giving me some guidance today.

derbo
01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Good to know. LOL

BavarianZHP
01-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Mad props... Now enjoy an ice cold beer.:cheers

Ahem, too soon for me to ask for a documented picture heavy DIY? JK

Avetiso
01-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Are zkw lenses really that much better to make it worth the effort?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks fellas. I'll write up a version for you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

BavarianZHP
01-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Oh, did you use the videos on YouTube? I found one and watched it, they retrofitted a ZKW lens into an AL headlight assembly. For those that already have AL's and did the swap, was it worth it? I have AL's and don't think the output is bad, but if it's a noticeable improvement I might leave it for a rainy day.

JupiterBMW
01-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Dane, I have to be honest, this pains me to hear. Now that I've had the lights apart and together what seems like five thousand times, I really do wish I was closer, I would've done this for you without question.

Anyway, for those that want to add to this, I made a disassembly DIY video for the 'AL' headlights for Dane. I didn't have the ZKW lights or I would've done the same. In addition, my E90 retrofit thread has a lot of photos. I of course have ALL the photos of the many times I've been inside the headlights, so I could help others that choose to take this on.

If anyone has a set of spare/junk ZKW lights, send one of them to me and I'll gladly disassemble/make another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQfWLe528U

az3579
01-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Are zkw lenses really that much better to make it worth the effort?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes. The cutoff of the ZKW's is much sharper. The AL lens diffuses the cutoff a lot more.

Think of it sort of like the difference between a nice projector with a sharp cutoff versus a halogen assembly. Very noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

JupiterBMW
01-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Oh, did you use the videos on YouTube? I found one and watched it, they retrofitted a ZKW lens into an AL headlight assembly. For those that already have AL's and did the swap, was it worth it? I have AL's and don't think the output is bad, but if it's a noticeable improvement I might leave it for a rainy day.

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, I must've missed it... Anyway, to answer your question, its not so much about the output. The output won't really change much, the big thing is the clarity of the cutoff line at the top of the light spread. Its hard to take photos and capture the cutoff, but its very noticeable when driving, and to answer your question, yes, it is much better. The AL lenses are sort of 'frosted' and that makes for much less of a cutoff. With the ZKW lens, the cutoff is literally a razor sharp line...

Tnhl1989
01-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Dang I tried to do a retrofit before and it is pretty complicated and hard. I still don't really understand the use of the AL bowls in the ZKW lens though. I mean besides the point that the ZKW bowls get burnt does the AL bowls do the same? Or is the AL bowls a permanent fix to this problem. Eventually I will have to do the retrofit but still undecided on which route I should take. I also have a set of FX-R lens sitting around. Sorry to jack the thread.

Everything looks awesome though. I know that on e46 there is a lot of photos of cut offs but not sure if it is totally the differences between the lens and bowls for each one or not.

Ryans323i
01-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Definitely a DIY I wouldn't want to do. Glad you got through it. Hope everything works today.

JupiterBMW
01-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Dang I tried to do a retrofit before and it is pretty complicated and hard. I still don't really understand the use of the AL bowls in the ZKW lens though. I mean besides the point that the ZKW bowls get burnt does the AL bowls do the same? Or is the AL bowls a permanent fix to this problem. Eventually I will have to do the retrofit but still undecided on which route I should take. I also have a set of FX-R lens sitting around. Sorry to jack the thread.

Everything looks awesome though. I know that on e46 there is a lot of photos of cut offs but not sure if it is totally the differences between the lens and bowls for each one or not.

In this instance, Dane had a full set of AL headlights, so all he was swapping was the inner lens. The AL lights use a metal bowl, so yes, a permanent fix. It is possible to retrofit the AL bowls into the ZKW headlight housings, that is the DIY Charlie did. It is also possible to retrofit a newer ZKW produced bowl from the E90 cars into the ZKW lights that we have.

The best fix is to get completely new headlights, manufactured by AL. The next best bet is to retrofit, but either method will require custom work.

As for the cutoff, it's not as important as light output, it's more of a preference thing. But a really bad cutoff will induce glare on oncoming drivers..

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S... :shifty

nike001
01-21-2013, 07:42 AM
I didn't think it was that hard when Terra and I did it. The most annoying part was getting the damn auto-level ball out of the holster in the bracket.

Dane, Did yo modify your cutoff shield as well? Terra and I did this (Cut the metal part in front of the cutoff shield) and my cutoff is about as good as it gets. I have awesome flicker. It's even more awesome when driving down the highway and my blue cutoff illuminates the street signs.

Johnmadd
01-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Glad to SEE this Dane.

What I did... can you see

danewilson77
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM

I did....but the issue with all DIY's available......is no one talks about how to take apart your ZHW lights and housing......to get your ZKW lenses out, for install into the AL assemblies and bowls.

danewilson77
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
I didn't think it was that hard when Terra and I did it. The most annoying part was getting the damn auto-level ball out of the holster in the bracket.

Dane, Did yo modify your cutoff shield as well? Terra and I did this (Cut the metal part in front of the cutoff shield) and my cutoff is about as good as it gets. I have awesome flicker. It's even more awesome when driving down the highway and my blue cutoff illuminates the street signs.

I did not do this.

Hermes
01-21-2013, 11:13 AM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2170-1_zps569724ce.jpg

I spy with my little eye...

danewilson77
01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
New cutoff. Holy shit is it nice to see. You fella's with AL's already...I think it may be worth it to pick up the ZKW lenses and do the swap. Having the lenses would not make the DIY too bad, imho.

Low's

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2173-1_zps8c0f4983.jpg

High's

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG2174-1_zpse5b1b76e.jpg

zhp43867
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Looking good!

So much better than a TFX retrofit (used to have that) :shifty

Hermes
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM
do you have a before pic of the output?

danewilson77
01-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Maybe somewhere. It's like any of the ones online. Shitty.

JupiterBMW
01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
:biggrin Dane, it makes me so happy to see your progress come to a fantastic result! Excellent job, looks great! I hope I provided enough help to you and the job didn't give you too many grey hairs! :rofl

Nice work...

alexandre
01-21-2013, 05:22 PM
:thumbsup

mimalmo
01-21-2013, 05:30 PM
When I had my car I had a ballast go bad and ended up pulling both headlights to swap parts back and forth so I could determine what part had failed. I swore like a drunk sailor that day. I can't imagine how much of a pain this was.

Sounds like we both ended up with a similar result though: satisfied that we fixed it ourselves and saved a bunch of dough in the process.

danewilson77
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Sounds like we both ended up with a similar result though: satisfied that we fixed it ourselves and saved a bunch of dough in the process.

This. Thanks Fella's

danewilson77
01-21-2013, 05:43 PM
This is exactly what mine looked like (I think mine were a little worse as I couldn't even see this far), as I drove don the road. I'll get a new road pic for comparison.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/330iheadlightbrightspic.jpg

Additionally, I found an AL vs. ZKW lense comparison shot that I wanted to share.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/330iheadlightbrightspiczkw.jpg

Sockethead
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
I've been putting off the e90 bowl retrofit for the exact reasons Dane mentioned. I have complete '06 and '11 headlight assemblies... I just gotta bite the bullet and get it done...

(BMW)
01-21-2013, 07:52 PM
I did the AL bowls into the ZKW housings and ZKW lenses a year ago. It wasn't too bad and the light output is absolutely awesome compared to burnt out bowls. Just do eeeet!!!

johnrando
01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Congrats on that work Dane. I won't ask for a DIY. :biggrin

Imola.ZHP
01-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Excellent work, thanks for sharing...

I'm not looking forward to digging into this, but over the years I feel like my headlights just are not as bright as they used to be, maybe its the crazy pitted outer lenses, but I have a feeling its burnt bowls...

For some reason, though, I thought early ZHP's had a different brand headlights that were less prone to bowl burning. Am I crazy for thinking that? I am quite ignorant on the subject...

I might have to dig into it sooner than later, my drivers-side light used to not come on immediately about once every year, then ever six months, and then sooner and sooner and sooner, now its about every 2-3 days... It eventually comes on, but shows to be burned out for a bit...

EDIT: Just watched Jupiter's video, is this what you did Dane? It looked pretty straight forward, and in his video he said AL lenses have the line, mine have the line, so (please correct me if I am wrong) I have metal bowls that are not prone to burning, correct? But by swapping in the ZKW lenses, the lights will be brighter? I guess I need to do that and get new outer lenses too. Could my bulbs be less intense considering they are nearly 10 years old?

derbo
01-21-2013, 11:25 PM

I'm not looking forward to digging into this, but over the years I feel like my headlights just are not as bright as they used to be, maybe its the crazy pitted outer lenses, but I have a feeling its burnt bowls...

For some reason, though, I thought early ZHP's had a different brand headlights that were less prone to bowl burning. Am I crazy for thinking that? I am quite ignorant on the subject...

I might have to dig into it sooner than later, my drivers-side light used to not come on immediately about once every year, then ever six months, and then sooner and sooner and sooner, now its about every 2-3 days... It eventually comes on, but shows to be burned out for a bit...

EDIT: Just watched Jupiter's video, is this what you did Dane? It looked pretty straight forward, and in his video he said AL lenses have the line, mine have the line, so (please correct me if I am wrong) I have metal bowls that are not prone to burning, correct? But by swapping in the ZKW lenses, the lights will be brighter? I guess I need to do that and get new outer lenses too. Could my bulbs be less intense considering they are nearly 10 years old?

The lens change will not increase output. It will just make the cutoff sharper and more distinct. If you are looking for brighter output, this is not the solution. The line in the lenses means you have AL headlights that do not have the bad headlight bowls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imola.ZHP
01-21-2013, 11:39 PM
^ thanks for the info... I could go for a sharper cutoff as well as more light output... I'll start doing some research, my outer lenses are very pitted, so it might just be that the light is diffracting all over the place with the pits...

JupiterBMW
01-22-2013, 12:03 AM

If you have the line across the center of your projector lens, then you most likely have AL lights and will be ok. The other way to tell is to look at the inner, bottom corner of the outer headlight lens and see if you have either the AL or ZKW logo stamped on the lens. It will be very small, but you can see it. As for the inner projector lens swap, that will not make your lights brighter, it will just give you a more defined cutoff, more focused looking. The comparison photo above does a pretty good job illustrating the difference.

kayger12
01-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Great job, DW.

Sorry it was a bit of a headache.

Add this to my list of reasons for coupe love.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 06:40 AM

I did. His video is great. His video addresses disassembly of AL lights, and install of ZKW lenses. What his video doesn't show is disassembly of the ZKW lights, to get the ZKW lenses out. This is where I ran into my issues.

The two toughest parts imho are:

1) unclipping the leveling motor piston

2) Unclipping the top centerline frame hinge socket.

I spent literally 4 hours on these two steps. I think I could get them both in under 30 minutes having done this now.

The other "learning experience" I came through was removing the headlight washers. Removing them wasn't all that bad, but the install kicked my ass for a short bit.

JupiterBMW
01-22-2013, 06:42 AM
I did. His video is great. His video addresses disassembly of AL lights, and install of ZKW lenses. What his video doesn't show is disassembly of the ZKW lights, to get the ZKW lenses out. This is where I ran into my issues.

The two toughest parts imho are:

1) unclipping the leveling motor piston

2) Unclipping the top centerline frame hinge socket.

I spent literally 4 hours on these two steps. I think I could get them both in under 30 minutes having done this now.

The other "learning experience" I came through was removing the headlight washers. Removing them wasn't all that bad, but the install kicked my ass for a short bit.

Ahhh, dammit... That is totally my bad man. I actually have a short video on how to do that without removing the washers at all. That's how I do it. Lights in and out of the car in 5-10 minutes flat... Every time... Let me upload and link now...

**EDIT** Here you go... This shows me reinstalling, but the process is literally the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxbRFtiDeUQ&feature=youtu.be

JupiterBMW
01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Let me explain that video a little.... The basic process:

1. Remove corner light
2. Remove all 4 screws holding headlight unit in place
3. Disconnect headlight connectors (4 in total).
4. Inboard corner of washer nozzle trim piece is clipped into headlight, gently unclip it and pull it out slightly
5. Outboard side of trim piece (visible) is clipped into fender, 2 small tabs. Gently unclip and pull it out slightly
6. Trim piece is clipped into place on bottom of light as well, but at this point you can slide washer nozzle/trim and headlight in and out together, working on the extension of the nozzle (As you pull it out, you'll feel the nozzle spring trying to pull it back in).
7. Gently extend nozzle all the way out and try to unclip headlight from the trim by pushing it back in towards the engine bay. Headlight will pop off the trim eventually.
8. With one hand, hold nozzle in fully extended position (careful not to twist or bend it, pull straight out only!) while sliding the headlight out and up at a 45* angle to clear the washer nozzle unit...
9. Once headlight is clear out of the way, gently let washer nozzle with attached trim slide back into retracted position. No need to clip it back into place...

Voila!

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks Jon. It was just trying to pull washer out......holding it.....and holding the trim piece, while I tried to get the nozzle cover plugged back in. I needed more hands.

JupiterBMW
01-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah, its always a circus act trying to hold it, but like you said, once you've done it once, it gets much easier.

bullfrogs_M3
01-22-2013, 07:49 AM
My lights are terrible. So where do we start sourcing all these parts from?

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 08:40 AM
If you have ZKW headlights....either look for used AL's and swap ZKW lenses into them.

If you already have AL's, but light output is not up to par....get ZKW lenses from the Retrofitsource, and do the swap.

Third option is FX-R retrofit.

Torxuvin
01-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the pics. It helps in telling if your bowls are bad. I guess my ZKWs are in decent shape.

JupiterBMW
01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Yes, that's the first option. If your lights are 'bad' and you've verified that you have ZKW branded lights, then your best option is a set of AL lights. Buy them new from Magnetti Marelli for $1500-ish a pair, or source a used set. They are out there... If that doesn't work, source some retrofit bowls. Either E90 bowls (ZKW, but metal), E46 M3 bowls (made by AL), or some FXR retrofit stuff... That will fix your output problem.

From there, if you can and want to (you should!) swap the inner lens from your ZKW lights into whatever setup you go with. If you're simply doing a bowl retrofit, then no worries, they'll already be in the lights. :)

And most importantly of all... When you have stuff opened up, take the time to clean the parts with some good class cleaner! Its amazing how much dust/haze accumulates on the lights, even the 'sealed' coupe lights!! We confirmed this last night looking at John's headlights.

Even just taking apart your lights and cleaning the inner reflector bowl and projector lens, you'll be amazed at how much clearer your lights will look...

johnrando
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Hey.... Vintage; don't be dissin my headlights. :biggrin

aurelius
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Any of you know typical ebay pricing for a pair of functional, unbroken AL xenon assemblies?

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 11:57 AM
$500-$700

LivesNearCostco
01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Are the E90, E46M3, or E46 AL bowls all equally easy/hard to retrofit to existing ZKW lights? If I have a choice, which one should I pick? I read one of the DIYs showing the drilling and JB weld build-up required to fit the bowls, but don't remember which one that was.

I have one ZKW light with a nice lens but burnt bowl, and one AL light with nice bowl but regular AL lens. Not sure how that happened, maybe an accident repair.

Yes, that's the first option. If your lights are 'bad' and you've verified that you have ZKW branded lights, then your best option is a set of AL lights. Buy them new from Magnetti Marelli for $1500-ish a pair, or source a used set. They are out there... If that doesn't work, source some retrofit bowls. Either E90 bowls (ZKW, but metal), E46 M3 bowls (made by AL), or some FXR retrofit stuff... That will fix your output problem.

az3579
01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Honestly, I think a Lightwerkz retrofit is the easiest option. A friend of mine got his swapped for a measly $400 including labor and parts.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Get this goddess to help.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/bearkiller1/ManyArmedGoddess.jpg

Thanks Jon. It was just trying to pull washer out......holding it.....and holding the trim piece, while I tried to get the nozzle cover plugged back in. I needed more hands.

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Werd. She would have been helpful.

quikryptonite
01-22-2013, 02:47 PM
That looks phenomenal! Congrats.

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
That looks phenomenal! Congrats.

Thanks q13.

Still gotta get you guys a night shot.

Imola.ZHP
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Oh wow, so you can't just buy the KZW lenses, you have to buy a pair of KZW lights and swap them?

"Ain't no body got time for that!"

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Oh wow, so you can't just buy the KZW lenses, you have to buy a pair of KZW lights and swap them?

"Ain't no body got time for that!"

You have to have AL bowls or E90 ZKW's.

Imola.ZHP
01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
^ Yeah, I was hoping there was a vendor for just the lenses so I could pop them in and roll out... Like I said, this is all new to me...

I guess I'll just move on to new outer lenses and see if that helps my output before looking into new bulbs...

JupiterBMW
01-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Are the E90, E46M3, or E46 AL bowls all equally easy/hard to retrofit to existing ZKW lights? If I have a choice, which one should I pick? I read one of the DIYs showing the drilling and JB weld build-up required to fit the bowls, but don't remember which one that was.

I have one ZKW light with a nice lens but burnt bowl, and one AL light with nice bowl but regular AL lens. Not sure how that happened, maybe an accident repair.

As for the different options, I would think the easiest parts to locate would be the E90 lights, as those cars are newer and there's no shortage of wrecked ones. The E46 M3 AL bowls are probably tougher to locate, and E46 AL lights (the ones that fit directly) are going to be the hardest. That all being said, in terms of the work, you have your options. Obviously the easiest would be the E46 AL headlights, the ones for our car. Those are a direct swap only needing a little trimming to the bracket in the car. I have pictures of that and can provide.

Then, in terms of your retrofit options, there is the E46 ///M3 AL bowls. These are easier to retrofit mechanically because they already use a D2S bulb, so the bulb fits in perfectly. But, the bixenon shutter assembly is different and requires some more electrical skill to make work properly. Charlie has the DIY in his signature, so click on that for more info. He is the master on THIS style DIY.

The E90 ZKW bowl retrofit is a little more work mechanically, as the bowls don't bolt right up, and these bulb are meant for D1S bulbs. Once you get that stuff to fit and the D2S bulb sitting in there (its not terribly hard), they are easy because all the electrical is the same. The bixenon shutter plugs right in. So, more work mechanically, but less work electrically. I posted a DIY on this retrofit, in the lighting forum.

With any set, you'll want to take the time to swap in your inner ZKW lenses as they are the BEST lenses. Also, a sidenote, if you source complete E90 light units, they are made by ZKW as mentioned before, so these inner lenses are also clear and without the line across them. Keep or use those if you like. :thumbsup

You have to have AL bowls or E90 ZKW's.

^ Yeah, I was hoping there was a vendor for just the lenses so I could pop them in and roll out... Like I said, this is all new to me...

Not true. The retrofit source sells the ZKW-R lenses. I haven't seen or used these, so I can't comment on the quality, but I'm sure they're great. I purchased some other stuff from TRS and they seem to be a great place to do business with.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

Of course, like I said, if you already have ZKW lights in your car, no need, just take the lenses out of these lights. If you have a mismatched set like LivesNearCostco, you'll want to get a matched lens set of some sort. Ideally, both lights are 100% the same in terms of inner parts too, just so that your cutoff and beam focus are the same.

danewilson77
01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
My comment is true, Joop. You have to have the AL bowls, to get around the "burned bowl" issue first, then proceed to the "nice to have" ZKW lenses.

Bottom line is, get good bowls, then worry about lenses....imho.

JupiterBMW
01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
My comment is true, Joop. You have to have the AL bowls, to get around the "burned bowl" issue first, then proceed to the "nice to have" ZHW lenses.

Bottom line is, get good bowls, then worry about lenses....imho.

Ahh ok. I misinterpreted. Yes you are correct... Bowls for visibility first, then go for lenses to fine tune the lighting.

danewilson77
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Ahh ok. I misinterpreted. Yes you are correct... Bowls for visibility first, then go for lenses to fine tune the lighting.

:)

Imola.ZHP
01-23-2013, 10:40 PM
The retrofit source sells the ZKW-R lenses. I haven't seen or used these, so I can't comment on the quality, but I'm sure they're great. I purchased some other stuff from TRS and they seem to be a great place to do business with.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

Of course, like I said, if you already have ZKW lights in your car, no need, just take the lenses out of these lights. If you have a mismatched set like LivesNearCostco, you'll want to get a matched lens set of some sort. Ideally, both lights are 100% the same in terms of inner parts too, just so that your cutoff and beam focus are the same.

Thanks for the help! So since I have AL bowels I can just buy those lenses (that you linked) and swap them in? Sweet!

$40 isn't bad at all...

Do any of you guys think my nearly 10 year old bulbs might need to be replaced? What about this random issue I have with one side not coming on initially , but then later on coming on? Sounds like a ballast to me, not necessairily the bulb. I guess I could swap bulbs and see if the problem stays to the drivers side or swaps to the passenger side. If it is my ballast, can those be replaced separate from replacing the headlight?

Thanks!

danewilson77
01-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Yeah....you can replace the ballast. I would recommend it. You could also swap ballasts side to side to see if the problem follows the ballast, to verify prior to purchase.

I would continue using the bulbs until light output is insufficient.

derbo
01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36317-Swap-ZKW-R-lens-into-Bosch-AL-E46-Bi-xenon-projector

From this thread:

I've run into a snag. The ZKW-R lens is slightly larger in diameter than the stock Bosch lens, so it's not seating correctly in the lens cradle.

What to do...

but I believe he may have a different version of the ZKW since retrofit source has a small footnote:

The ZKW-R lenses work well on Bosch Bi-xenon (AKA "E46") projectors when you have the version with the notch cut into their lip. If you intend on using these on your Bosch Bi-xenon projectors, please make sure to leave us a note in the comments when checking out so we send you the right version.

I will definitely be doing the ZKW lenses after some other priority modifications are finished. Great job Dane! :)

danewilson77
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks Derek!