PDA

View Full Version : Tire Help Please

mLuMaN83
01-21-2013, 10:28 PM
So I will be getting some 18x8.5 CSL's pretty soon and need tires for them.

Looking for a good all weather tire that can handle a light snow for under $200 per tire.

What brand/type/size should I be looking at? No clue about tires. I just need something that grips well, handles water and a little snow, quiet, good ride, and lasts awhile.

derbo
01-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Continental DWS 255/35/18 seems to be the one I would recommend for this. It's not exactly under 200 per tire but it does fit the role quite nicely.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=535YR8ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Your other option is Pirelli Neros too. This is what I put on my mom's car for daily.

mLuMaN83
01-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Those were precisely what I was looking at LOL.

kayger12
01-22-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm still swearing by the Kumho Ecsta 4X.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

UdubBadger
01-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Edited, didn't have the kuhmos.

The DWS is the tried and true tested a/s tire though, I'd start there.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

kayger12
01-22-2013, 04:57 AM
I had the kuhmos and they sucked in snow/ extreme cold on my old TSX, coulda been the cars fault too though.

The DWS is the tried and true tested a/s tire though, I'd start there.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Kumho Ecsta 4X, or Kumho ASX?

The ASX was the old, poorly rated all weather.

The 4X had only been out a year and had great reviews/ratings. It replaced the ASX.

UdubBadger
01-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Oooooooo no I am mistaken. It was the toyo proxes 4 not the kuhmos, my bad.

I remember looking at both those tires and apparently choosing the wrong one.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

M0nk3y
01-22-2013, 05:57 AM
What brand/type/size should I be looking at? No clue about tires. I just need something that grips well, handles water and a little snow, quiet, good ride, and lasts awhile.

You're looking for a tire that doesn't exist.

All seasons are no seasons. I'll keep on saying it again and again.

danewilson77
01-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Ugh....

I would go with one of the following three tires (All of prices below are for 235-40-18):

1) The Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position (I have these) >>> $189/tire

2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS >>> $176/tire

3) Kumho Ecsta 4X (KG has a great review on these) >>> $147/tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=235%2F&ratio=40&diameter=18

UdubBadger
01-22-2013, 07:52 AM
b-stones are solid as well

kayger12
01-22-2013, 08:00 AM
You're looking for a tire that doesn't exist.

All seasons are no seasons. I'll keep on saying it again and again.

Disagree.

M0nk3y
01-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Disagree.

I'd like to hear why.

A 05 Scion tC with FWD, and no traction control out handled my dad's E92 328xi and my previous E46 325xi fitted with all-seasons.

Panic stopping the all-seasons have NO grip what so ever, compared to the winters that dive-bomb the car in a controlled, no ABS stop.

My dad finally got winters, and he can't believe he never went to them before.

If you think a W rated tire at 400 treadwear is going to handle well in winter, I think you're asking way too much.

Hermes
01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
I have to agree with Kyle, all season tires = designed for the worst season.

OP, what are you doing with the wheels you have now? I say keep them and put dedicated winter set of rubber on those, put some nice summer high performance tires on the new wheels

Torxuvin
01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
I have to agree with Kyle, all season tires = designed for the worst season.

OP, what are you doing with the wheels you have now? I say keep them and put dedicated winter set of rubber on those, put some nice summer high performance tires on the new wheels

+10000

derbo
01-22-2013, 09:47 AM
I have no experience with my car in the snow so all season means rain or shine. :)

Torxuvin
01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
I have contiprocontact AS (grand touring tires- if you're going to get AS, at least get the performance ones) on the car right now from the previous owner. They worked just fine in the light snow (<1") that was on the ground over the holidays. That said, when it's time to replace them I will probably put summers on. I see snow maybe once a year.

HokieZHP
01-22-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd like to hear why.

A 05 Scion tC with FWD, and no traction control out handled my dad's E92 328xi and my previous E46 325xi fitted with all-seasons.

Panic stopping the all-seasons have NO grip what so ever, compared to the winters that dive-bomb the car in a controlled, no ABS stop.

My dad finally got winters, and he can't believe he never went to them before.

If you think a W rated tire at 400 treadwear is going to handle well in winter, I think you're asking way too much.

He said he needed a tire for light snow. Personally my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires work just fine in light snow (<6-8"). I just did a long trip in the snow back up to Blacksburg on them. Sure they won't handle and stop as well as a dedicated snow tire but they will work fine in light snow and get him around.

kayger12
01-23-2013, 02:54 AM
I'd like to hear why.

Because he said he's looking for an all season tire that grips well, has decent rain traction, can handle a light snow, quiet, good ride, lasts, and is under $200.

Such a tire does exist.

I have it.

He didn't say he wanted a tire that would give him the greatest possible handling and traction in all conditions, one that was the quietest and most comfortable, and one that had the best tread life.

That doesn't exist.

Again, for someone like me who rarely sees heavy snow, doesn't take the car out of the garage purposely in snow, but has sub 50 degree temps for a good portion of the year, all seasons are more than adequate and winters are not necessary.

I have great grip in the summer, very solid grip in the winter, great wet traction, good ride/noise, and (so far) good wear.

If OP is looking for the same then imo there is no need to waste money on a winter tire setup.

echo46
01-23-2013, 04:14 AM
I also second the Kumho Ecstas.

mLuMaN83
01-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I am actually going to be doing a winter set up on the old wheels. I am going to be putting some studs on them and using them specifically for weekends in the mountains for snowboarding. Just looking for a good all rounder that will do a little better on those evenings or mornings where there is a little snow on the roads on the way to or from work. If it's dumping snow then I am most likely not going anywhere and Colorado is usually pretty good at cleaning things up. The weather also cleans up the roads pretty quickly. Just want to have that little extra traction so if I am on the road and a storm starts rolling in, I can get home safe.

kayger12
01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
:thumbsup

Crickett
01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
+1 DWS :thumbsup

quikryptonite
01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Buying a winter wheel setup is one of the best decisions I have made in life. It is night and day difference from driving in snow compared to all-seasons.