PDA

View Full Version : BMW pulling left/right at slow speeds

JHiggy
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Front CAB replaced with Meyle's about 5 months ago. Past month, steering wheel seems to pull left or right a noticeable amount when slowing to stop. CABs seem to look okay, can't see anything else (haven't lifted it up to check struts, etc). Anyone else experienced this type of "pulling" effect? I thought it might be tramlining but ruling that out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

danewilson77
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
How many miles on your tires? Does it feel like its tramlining?

Marcus-SanDiego
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
In San Diego we have some serious grooves on the freeways. It's easy as heck to tramline here.

danewilson77
11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
So...re-read post. Why don't you start by performing a good sound brake inspection and brake bleed. It seems to be happening when you slow down.....so, check pads, caliper guide pins and bushingd, rotor thicknesses, the do brake bleed. All free....so that's nice.....well...except for fluid. Check your tires for wear while your doing the inspection. Check your endlinks, ball joints....and just look to make sure everything looks mechanically sound regarding your suspension.

JHiggy
11-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, front tires okay, back brand new. Will probably go about as much of an inspection as I can.

This is an odd question but it's made me wonder since. When I bought the car from the prior owner @ around 80k miles (good guy, meticulous), the pre-purchase inspection by a BMW dealer in San Diego recommended replacing CAB. Myself and the prior owner installed CABs (Meyle) which I ordered. When installing, it was a rough go pushing the control arms into the bushings. Prior owner slapped some grease in the CABs to make it easier and it obviously fit in after some tugging. Rode fine for quite some time (month or two) then a bit of the pulling when slowing from 25 mi and less. I doubt this has anything to do with it but the pre-inspection came out with relative flying colors and I don't believe he drove the car like a beast nor do I.

Dane, I appreciate your take. I'm trying to DIY some things. Was proud of my oil change with a Mityvac so I'm not to brake bleeding yet (hopefully soon). I do need to have my new rear tires aligned and will just shoot for all 4 to be corrected. Will see if that rules anything out. Thanks again guys.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-04-2010, 06:04 AM
JHiggy, if you find that you need to take the car to a shop, take it to Euro Auto Spot. Shane Nguyen is the owner. Many, many of us use his services.

adb1028
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, front tires okay, back brand new. Will probably go about as much of an inspection as I can.

This is an odd question but it's made me wonder since. When I bought the car from the prior owner @ around 80k miles (good guy, meticulous), the pre-purchase inspection by a BMW dealer in San Diego recommended replacing CAB. Myself and the prior owner installed CABs (Meyle) which I ordered. When installing, it was a rough go pushing the control arms into the bushings. Prior owner slapped some grease in the CABs to make it easier and it obviously fit in after some tugging. Rode fine for quite some time (month or two) then a bit of the pulling when slowing from 25 mi and less. I doubt this has anything to do with it but the pre-inspection came out with relative flying colors and I don't believe he drove the car like a beast nor do I.

i seem to remember reading on e46fanatics to NOT use grease when fitting CAB's because it can cause issues. That may be your problem, ill post up a link to the thread if i can find it

danewilson77
11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Best bet is to just use some soapy water...and load the suspension before it dries...

JHiggy
11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks Dane, will give that rec a shot.