PDA

View Full Version : a/d/s

Oli77
01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
So recently, I bought a used 2001 Infiniti for my son (see thread here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8749-New-purchase-in-the-Thibault-family-a-2001-G20t&highlight=thibault)). When talking to the original owner, she said that the previous owner (original) had put $4000 worth of stereo equipment in it.

Didn't care much about that whole "awesome stereo system" frankly (yeah right $4000 in stereo), and I went on to talk more about the car, the maintenance etc... Looked for leaks, for sounds while driving, for vibrations, smoke, etc.. more than I cared about the stereo. I did see Bose speakers on the rear deck and though, "meh", not sure about those.

I am more of a home audiophile than a car audiophile and I don't like Bose at home, so I really didn't care much about those Bose speakers.

My son and I fixed some leaks (VCG) cleaned the maf, changed air filter and that was that. Car works well and is really pretty darn good.

Now that the mechanical issues were dealt with, I moved on to the stereo system. The front speakers (mids and highs) were not working. So then I looked into the speakers and the amplifier.

Turns out the whole car is equipped with a/d/s equipment. The Bose speakers are long gone, there is an amp under the rear deck (p650) and 8 a/d/s speakers throughout the car.

The front crossovers were busted (got wet) and that's why the front speakers did not work. I went at it with a soldering iron and common sense and rewired the front (without crossovers). Tweaked the amp to deliver more mid-frequency in the front.

And then, ...

My jaw dropped. The sound is imp-ec-able, smooth, soft, deep, unbelievable. Absolutely gorgeous, well delivered and solid.

So here is the question, I looked around the internet and apparently that company is not what it used to be. Was it really that expensive to put that system in? Have any of you ever "felt" this sound quality. Is this really that good? Could that sound system really be worth that much?

Cause over here, I am blown away.

(BTW even deep-deep bass comes through with no rattle and there isn't even a sub in there).

Marcus-SanDiego
01-26-2013, 07:47 PM
I can discuss the a/d/s stuff. It was in my 5 series show car. It was top notch stuff. This was 12 years ago, though. Can't say what the quality is like now.

If you're looking to make the car vibrate, a/d/s is not the way to go. But if you're looking for elegant sound with crisp notes, there are much worse ways to go.

My entire system was comprised of a/d/s components. Definitely not cheap. The install was done by a high-end shop in San Diego.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

Avetiso
01-26-2013, 08:05 PM
The reason you are shocked is because OEM sound systems rarely (if ever) reach that price range. Once you go custom, the prices can be insane. Look into the high end market to see some prices. Doesn't have to be car audio. I've seen $50,000 home sound systems, $35,000 headphone plus amp combo (Sennheiser Orpheus, if you can find one). It can get pretty damn expensive really quickly.

Oli77
01-27-2013, 08:13 AM
I can discuss the a/d/s stuff. It was in my 5 series show car. It was top notch stuff. This was 12 years ago, though. Can't say what the quality is like now.

If you're looking to make the car vibrate, a/d/s is not the way to go. But if you're looking for elegant sound with crisp notes, there are much worse ways to go.

My entire system was comprised of a/d/s components. Definitely not cheap. The install was done by a high-end shop in San Diego.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

Well this system is between 8-12 years old (car is a 2001 and second owner who sold it to me has had it for 8). Believe its a doozy alright. Just lucked out I guess. Purchased a car with a great system. Like you said Marcus, the stuff is top notch.

The reason you are shocked is because OEM sound systems rarely (if ever) reach that price range. Once you go custom, the prices can be insane. Look into the high end market to see some prices. Doesn't have to be car audio. I've seen $50,000 home sound systems, $35,000 headphone plus amp combo (Sennheiser Orpheus, if you can find one). It can get pretty damn expensive really quickly.

Right you are. I am sure there is crazy stuff out there for both home and car audiophiles. I could never, however, justify spending that in a car (or home) stereo system. At one point it probably becomes more of a status statement than a true sensory analysis of sound (IMHO).

Happy nevertheless to have been exposed to this sound and definitely recommend this to anyone. If you can get you hands on it cause the company is out of business I believe.

Tnhl1989
01-27-2013, 08:47 AM
I recall that there was a DIY for a/d/s on e46fanatics to replace the Hk system. I did plan on doing a swap to the a/d/s but it seems impossible to purchase the speakers themselves since the company is gone. Any new system now is just top notch pretty much compared to the ten year + Hk system. I am happy with the Hk system myself but if I really must I would do a retrofit to Kenwood or BA.