PDA

View Full Version : Quad Projectors

Avetiso
02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?39580-BMW-e46-quad-retrofit

I'd love for this to be my project if I end up keeping my car. What do you guys think?

Hornung418
02-04-2013, 03:21 PM
No.

From a GS3, this was sent.

Avetiso
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
No.

Why not? Just don't like the way it looks?

Hornung418
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Xenons arent meant to be cycled like the way you intend to use them. That's why they have a shutter to release more light.

Newjack
02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
No.

Let me just elaborate on Justin's answer. With quad HIDs you lose flash to pass. They will work, but they take time to warm up and emit bright light. Turning them on and off is also really bad for the bulbs and drastically reduces their life. (these bulbs are expensive).

Halogen high beams are already bright enough and most cars have bi xenons anyway. If you really want brightness, have your car coded so you can have your inner high beams on with your bixenon highs. It's crazy bright and you shouldn't ever need more light than that.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Avetiso
02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Oh ok, that makes sense. Not that I ever use flash to pass or my highbeams, but if there is a way to get more light without hacking my headlights, I'd rather do that.

az3579
02-05-2013, 06:18 PM
The stock lighting truly is phenomenal (unless you have ZKW's)... I'm thinking the stock setup is plenty. The trifecta light mod makes it even more awesome.
Fogs, bixenon highbeams, and halogens on. Win.

nike001
02-05-2013, 07:34 PM
^I wouldn't say phenomenal.. More like 'enough to get the job done'

Mine is good enough for me, but I have halogen highs coded and I have ZKW lenses, CBI's, and a modified cutoff shield. When stock, they're pretty mediocre compared to new set-ups IMO

brettbimmer
02-05-2013, 07:36 PM
The stock lighting truly is phenomenal (unless you have ZKW's)... I'm thinking the stock setup is plenty. The trifecta light mod makes it even more awesome.

+2 for Trifecta coding. (Thanks again BP!!!!)

cakM3
02-05-2013, 07:39 PM

+3 :thumbsup

Katu
04-04-2013, 08:58 PM

What do I need to do this? :D

JupiterBMW
04-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Not to make you feel like a prostitute, but can I reserve some time for you to code stuff on my car at the reunion? With the money I've spent on lights, I'd love to get the trifecta mod, as well as others... I'd be willing to buy you beer, food, or whatever to get the stuff done.

Tnhl1989
04-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Guess it's trifecta mod for everyone. I'll be coding as well for everyone. :)

JKO_ZHP
11-03-2013, 08:05 PM
It isn't practical but for someone who has never needed to use the flash-to-pass function ever, I got quads for aesthetic reasons. It's like splitters or lips for me - not practical either but they're nice to have.

Now that I think of it, I wouldn't have done it considering the cost but it does come in handy in random situations....like the (half) city-wide blackout a month ago...or driving back down to LA from San Jose....not to mention being the brightest car on the lot at meets hehe

sillieidiot
11-03-2013, 10:50 PM
second sort of old thread you bumped lol

Newjack
11-07-2013, 12:53 PM
It isn't practical but for someone who has never needed to use the flash-to-pass function ever, I got quads for aesthetic reasons. It's like splitters or lips for me - not practical either but they're nice to have.

Now that I think of it, I wouldn't have done it considering the cost but it does come in handy in random situations....like the (half) city-wide blackout a month ago...or driving back down to LA from San Jose....not to mention being the brightest car on the lot at meets hehe

Horn and finger to pass?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Avetiso
11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Horn and finger to pass?

The norm in CA.

alexandre
11-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Let me just elaborate on Justin's answer. With quad HIDs you lose flash to pass. They will work, but they take time to warm up and emit bright light. Turning them on and off is also really bad for the bulbs and drastically reduces their life. (these bulbs are expensive).

Halogen high beams are already bright enough and most cars have bi xenons anyway. If you really want brightness, have your car coded so you can have your inner high beams on with your bixenon highs. It's crazy bright and you shouldn't ever need more light than that.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

I have my car setup like that. I can have fogs, xenon highs, and halogen highs on all simultaneously. I can illuminate my whole street with that setup lol.

JKO_ZHP
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Horn and finger to pass?

This is the thing I never got - if the person ahead of me is slow, I just use my blinkers to signal and get out of that lane. I don't high beam, honk, flash them, etc.

Maybe it IS a (southern) California thing. Because I've driven slower at times before myself (dreading a double shift on a Friday & Saturday, etc.) and I have never been flashed-to-pass, ever. 16-wheeler trucks maybe, but people usually just tailgate or accelerate and cut you off.

Newjack
11-08-2013, 07:19 PM
This is the thing I never got - if the person ahead of me is slow, I just use my blinkers to signal and get out of that lane. I don't high beam, honk, flash them, etc.

Maybe it IS a (southern) California thing. Because I've driven slower at times before myself (dreading a double shift on a Friday & Saturday, etc.) and I have never been flashed-to-pass, ever. 16-wheeler trucks maybe, but people usually just tailgate or accelerate and cut you off.

Unfortunately its not a normal thing for people to flash to pass in the states. Ive done it many times and 99% of the time the person is completely oblivious.

Doesn't stop me from doing it though.

az3579
11-08-2013, 07:38 PM
^ This. It is the reason I'm going to be buying the brightest LED H7 bulbs I can find for my high beam bowls so when I flash them, they can't help but notice. It's common sense that if you're getting flashed, it means move over. If you don't have the common sense then you'll just have to live with bright lights behind you until you learn that moving over = bright lights pass by you = problem solved. :facepalm

(Not you per se but the people in question)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JKO_ZHP
01-25-2014, 11:42 PM
Bump.....
I've contacted Republic Wraps and am looking to build another quad setup in a pair of DEPO P46 headlights.
My factory ones have way too many problems with them now.
1) The factory bi-xenon cutoff isn't sharp enough for me, unlike the crystal clear Morimoto Mini H1s.
2) The Morimoto Mini H1s are greatly misaligned.
3) The passenger side blinker (with an LED bulb) is dimming, or goes out randomly.
4) All four Umnitza Orion V2s are out. And even before that, one was half-off.
5) The lenses are degraded anyway and have a slight burn mark from the inside.

sillieidiot
02-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Bump.....
I've contacted Republic Wraps and am looking to build another quad setup in a pair of DEPO P46 headlights.
My factory ones have way too many problems with them now.
1) The factory bi-xenon cutoff isn't sharp enough for me, unlike the crystal clear Morimoto Mini H1s.
2) The Morimoto Mini H1s are greatly misaligned.
3) The passenger side blinker (with an LED bulb) is dimming, or goes out randomly.
4) All four Umnitza Orion V2s are out. And even before that, one was half-off.
5) The lenses are degraded anyway and have a slight burn mark from the inside.

1. you don't need a sharp cutoff. it doesn't mean anything other than it looks nice. i'm sure the e46 bixenons has more depth (light aimed farther ahead) than the MH1s which is more focused on width.
2. fixed
3. fixed
4. fixed
5. it was just from the water/coolant residue. you just need to polish the outside and get it clear coated.

but what was the price from Republic Wraps? just wanted to know lol

JKO_ZHP
02-08-2014, 05:46 PM
1. you don't need a sharp cutoff. it doesn't mean anything other than it looks nice. i'm sure the e46 bixenons has more depth (light aimed farther ahead) than the MH1s which is more focused on width.
2. fixed
3. fixed
4. fixed
5. it was just from the water/coolant residue. you just need to polish the outside and get it clear coated.

but what was the price from Republic Wraps? just wanted to know lol

They never got back to me because I implied that I had a bad transaction with Umnitza in one of the messages we sent back and forth. I guess they're buddy buddy then and didn't want my business.

sillieidiot
02-08-2014, 05:55 PM
oh that sucks.

jiggz
02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
My cousin did a quad setup - the light output was perfect once everything was dailed in/aimed just right.

OEM FX-45 w/ TSX lens & H1 Morimoto minis

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6496368061_ba334b15a3_z.jpg

Avetiso
02-11-2014, 05:03 PM
My cousin did a quad setup - the light output was perfect once everything was dailed in/aimed just right.

OEM FX-45 w/ TSX lens & H1 Morimoto minis

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6496368061_ba334b15a3_z.jpg

Nice!!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk