PDA

View Full Version : Springtime Mountain drive - Western SC/NC

Dave_B
02-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Anyone interested in a leisurely cruise in the mountains?

Likely this will include some Blue Ridge parkway/NC/SC roads and lunch/dinner.

Nothing super organized. The weather is sure to break soon and a nice ride up in the area sounds great.

i'm in Greenville, SC and will likely be heading up 276, over Ceasars head and on up to that area of NC.

i'm also fairly new to the area so anyone in/near/around that would like to contribute on a route or dinning destination feel free to chime in.

Ry? MTNMAN? Anyone else area the western carolina's?

Torxuvin
02-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I'd be down depending on when we decide. I've been looking for an excuse to visit my Asheville friends. David (mtnman), I sent you a text about this.

Dave_B
02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
David and I were IM'ing which lead to this thread. Apparently I do managed IT for his competitor just 2 miles down the road from him.

Small world!

Again, this isn't some crazy planning thing. But if anyone wants to help on route and dining places in or around the area I'm all ears. Also, what dates work with you folks?

I'll likely come up 276 to 25 then on to I-26 up towards Asheville.

Torxuvin
02-28-2013, 01:28 PM
David and I were IM'ing which lead to this thread. Apparently I do managed IT for his competitor just 2 miles down the road from him.

Small world!

Again, this isn't some crazy planning thing. But if anyone wants to help on route and dining places in or around the area I'm all ears. Also, what dates work with you folks?

I'll likely come up 276 to 25 then on to I-26 up towards Asheville.

I'm probably not available until April. I might be able to make March 9/10 but that would be the only weekend this coming month.

BimmerWill
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Keep me updated im only about an hour from asheville in TN.

Id suggest blue ridge and maybe down towards the dragon. Some nice roads out that way. Not sure how much of a drive that would end up being for people more south though..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Mtnman
02-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Im in. March is tough for me too, but i have a weekend or two i could pull it off. April may be better.

Dave_B
02-28-2013, 03:48 PM
April looks like it may work best for all.

I'm tentatively going to be in Hot Springs, NC on the weekend of the 13th so that doesn't work for me. The last weekend I'm headed to the beach in FL.

That leaves the 6th and 20th weekends. Either of those work for you guys (and gal who hasn't commented yet)

BCAN
02-28-2013, 03:52 PM
I'll be in if the dates work with my finals schedule!

Mtnman
02-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Either of those work for you guys (and gal who hasn't commented yet)

Yeah, what the hell ry, i thought u constantly monitored the site?

Mtnman
02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
The 20th weekend works for me and my lady will be available too, both sans kids.

Dave_B
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Sounds like my predicament... Wife is on board. Finding a sitter this far out should be fairly easy.

JupiterBMW
03-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Damn, I want to go! After spending some time (albeit not nearly enough!) up in that area, I can say the driving is beautiful and the people in the area are awesome!!

Have fun everyone!

Ryans323i
03-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Of course I'm in guys/gals. I've planned a few drives in the area, and I have some great roads in mind. If you want some help planning, just let me know how long you guys want to drive and how far into NC you're will to go.

I'd prefer April myself. Right now the mountain tops are frozen and I have no idea the road conditions. Things could be fine everywhere, then you come around a corner into a dark shady spot and it's all ice. Very scary.

Dave_B
03-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks Ry. Yes, help in road planning would be great! And I'm with you on those mountaintops around this time of year, you just never know.

As for time, I'm game for coming home in the dark if need be. I'm about 3 hours from the general area where I assume we'll be going.

Dave_B
03-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Ryan and company up in the area

What do you guys think about going to a state park somewhere and then grilling in the middle of the drive? There's got to be places on the parkway or similar that we can pull this off? Thoughts? Or too much in a single day?

Mtnman
03-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I would say prob too much to do with groceries, trash, charcoal.....lets just drive, or drive to a restaurant, then drive more.

Torxuvin
03-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Looks like I've had a few weekends this month open up. I need to get away...

Dave_B
03-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Most Excellent.

Everybody still feel like the 20th will work?

Ryans323i
03-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Of March? It's a Wednesday, but I'm down.

Honestly, March is still too cold up here IMO. This picture was taken on Sunday (from one of the local forums) on one of the roads I want to take you guys on.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/moe_toe/Cars/Traysfd1of1_zps72759583.jpg

Torxuvin
03-13-2013, 06:19 AM
I think he means the 20th of April. March 20 is a Wednesday. Cool picture btw

Mtnman
03-13-2013, 06:19 AM
I thought we were talking april 20?

Ryans323i
03-13-2013, 06:33 AM
April 20th works for me.

BTW, that's a pic from 276!

johnrando
03-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Cool shot!

Dave_B
03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Awesome pic. Yes, April 20th, on a weekend. :)

Mtnman
04-03-2013, 02:04 PM
We all still on for April 20th? Cam, you coming up friday and spending the weekend? Anyone else need a place to crash fri or sat nights? I plan on cooking saturday night if people want to eat. If cam stays i still have a futon double that sleeps very comfortably. Also blow up mattresses downstairs if need be. Couples get priority on the futon. (Sorry Cam....unless you're bringing Joopy)

Ryans323i
04-04-2013, 04:59 AM
I'm now on the fence about the 20th. BMW CCA is having an auto-x at the performance center on Sunday, the 21st. I usually go down to Greenville and spend the night with a friend on Sat night, so I don't have a crazy early morning on Sunday. But I still may be in, Kyle just might not be very excited. lol

Dave_B
04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Ry... I'll come up that way and do this if you come down for the AutoX (BTW, registration opens Saturday at 9 AM, set an alarm/reminder)

I'm open to either. If we need to move it, that's cool and I didn't think originally about the AutoX. But if we can pull this off along with that, what a weekend!

Ryans323i
04-05-2013, 05:07 AM
I say we just keep it on for Saturday the 20th. I just might have to leave earlier in the evening than intended.

The people coming up from the south need to determine what time they're going to get to WNC. We can set the meeting place up in Asheville or closer to SC. The earlier we start, the more favorable the driving conditions will be. Read: less drivers/traffic on the road. This may also help us with planning, and factoring in a lunch possibly.

I think I have the route planned out, but I will not post it in this thread. We don't want unexpected friends of the judicial type. Although, I am stating it now, this is not the place to come and go buck wild, and push yourself and your car. And don't even think about turning traction control off! The roads we will be on are public, near the woods and farms, maintaining the posted speed limit, or just slightly over, will be very exciting. Pulling a car out of a ditch sucks, and seeing a fellow driver wreck sucks even more.

Torxuvin
04-07-2013, 03:56 PM
We all still on for April 20th? Cam, you coming up friday and spending the weekend? Anyone else need a place to crash fri or sat nights? I plan on cooking saturday night if people want to eat. If cam stays i still have a futon double that sleeps very comfortably. Also blow up mattresses downstairs if need be. Couples get priority on the futon. (Sorry Cam....unless you're bringing Joopy)

Yep, still planning on it. Lol. I think it's Aryen's turn to have Jon for a while.

BimmerWill
04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Would love to meet up somewhere in Asheville if at all possible. If it would be better for others though I could drive farther if need be.

Ryans323i
04-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Definitely Will. I think we'll set the meeting point somewhere on Patton Ave. That's just a hop from Dave's, easy for you to just come in on I26east, Our friends coming from SC to come in on I26west, and me coming from I40.

Does everyone think they could be in Asheville, patton ave, by 9am?

Dave_B
04-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I think that's doable. I'll leave near 7:45 to be there in time. Where are Patton were you thinking?

Ryans323i
04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Right now, I'm thinking west gate shopping center.

Can we get an accurate list of everyone going.

1. Ryans323i

Sent from my walkie talkie.

BimmerWill
04-08-2013, 08:44 AM

1. Ryans323I
2. BimmerWill

Dave_B
04-08-2013, 09:04 AM

1. Ryans323I
2. BimmerWill
3. Dave_B + Wife

Torxuvin
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm planning to be at David's house so 9 shouldn't be a problem.
1. Ryans323I
2. BimmerWill
3. Dave_B + wife
3. Mtnman + lady friend
4. Raiku898

Ryans323i
04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm planning to be at David's house so 9 shouldn't be a problem.
1. Ryans323I
2. BimmerWill
3. Dave_B + wife
3. Mtnman + lady friend
4. Raiku898

?? What is this Cam?

Torxuvin
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
?? What is this Cam?

:rofl Oops. That is my username on most of the other forums. Fixed

1. Ryans323I
2. BimmerWill
3. Dave_B + wife
3. Mtnman + lady friend
4. Torxuvin

Mtnman
04-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Looks like cam put me in there! Thanks cam. Sorry, been in continuing Ed all day. Anyone besides Cam staying overnight at my place either night?

3ZHPGUY
04-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Would have liked to join you guys but it's a 4-1/2 hour ride through the mountains just to get to Asheville. Starting at 9:00 am eastern, would put me out the door at 3:30 am.

Ryans323i
04-09-2013, 04:41 AM
^^^David's a very kind host! :party

Ryans323i
04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
1. Ryans323I
2. BimmerWill
3. Dave_B + wife
3. Mtnman + lady friend
4. Torxuvin

Everyone on the list should have a PM with the Mountain Drive Route. Please PM me if you didn't receive it, have any question, or concerns.

Lost_One
04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
My brakes might have to be replaced before I venture up to the mountains... Keep me in mind for next time! I'm just south of Charlotte.

Torxuvin
04-14-2013, 05:14 AM
My brakes might have to be replaced before I venture up to the mountains... Keep me in mind for next time! I'm just south of Charlotte.

Pete, for what it's worth, I don't think we are going to do anything too crazy. I have done one mountain run in the ZHP. (and a number in other cars) Didn't come close to boiling the brakes or having any fade. I did a lot more engine braking. I'm in a similar situation with considering changing my rotors and pads first. Then again, I don't believe in driving harder than 7-8/10 on mountain runs. Especially if I'm not familiar with the roads. Changing conditions, sheer drops, and other cars. Have to be careful out there.

I wasn't able to get the ac work done in the corvette this weekend, so I'm not sure which car I'm going to bring up. Will depend on weather conditions. If I bring the zhp I think I'm going to change the oil Friday morning before I head your way.

Mtnman
04-14-2013, 05:26 AM
I know Ry and myself tend to be more cautious drivers. We don't plan to do anything more than drive through the mountains. We love our cars too much to be stupid with them. Especially on public roads.

Ryans323i
04-14-2013, 05:54 AM
So did everyone get the PM about the drive? I didn't get a response from anyone. Just want to make sure they went through.

Torxuvin
04-14-2013, 06:09 AM
I did receive it, but I haven't read it that closely yet. :ducking Wild Thyme sounds pretty tasty though

Lost_One
04-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Yeah, I've been feeling some pretty good shudder in them so took it by the shop today. They need to be replaced soon-ish. They are just not very confidence inspiring right now. Everytime I slow down it feels like I'm driving on a cheese grater. hehe

Ryans323i
04-14-2013, 08:06 AM
^^Sounds like warped rotors. Might be able to have them turned and then re-bed the pads. It would be a quick, cheap fix and then you'd have time to research what you want to replace everything with. The only place I know in my area that turns rotors in NAPA auto parts.

@Cam: You slacker. j/k. I'm betting y'all are just going to follow me and not worry about specifics.

Mtnman
04-14-2013, 08:08 AM
@Cam: You slacker. j/k. I'm betting y'all are just going to follow me and not worry about specifics.

This.

Lost_One
04-14-2013, 10:10 AM
^^Sounds like warped rotors. Might be able to have them turned and then re-bed the pads. It would be a quick, cheap fix and then you'd have time to research what you want to replace everything with. The only place I know in my area that turns rotors in NAPA auto parts.

According to my guy, they've already been turned and I probably shouldn't turn them again. The car also sat for awhile, and the rotors have some corrosion on them. So going to try cleaning them up and drive it a bit and see!

Marcus-SanDiego
04-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Granted, I most certainly don't know everything about BMW, but I always thought that it was a big no-no to turn BMW brakes. No?

BimmerWill
04-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Granted, I most certainly don't know everything about BMW, but I always thought that it was a big no-no to turn BMW brakes. No?

Right on the money Boss. The pads and rotors are designed to wear together. Generally by the time the rotors require a turning they've worn down to the minimum thickness so they need to be replaced. So no turning.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
So the recommendation to our Mafia friends is this: don't turn your BMW rotors. Thanks, Will.

BimmerWill
04-14-2013, 12:48 PM
This.

+1 :D

Lost_One
04-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what the mechanic said... Basically that they shouldn't have done it. I was going to do some research on it, but you guys have just saved me some time. hehe

Ryans323i
04-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Thanks for weighing in Marc and Wil!

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Pending diagnosis and repair of the power steering lines leaking I may not be able to make it this weekend. If I have to get new hoses its really going to cut out my budget for the cruise.

Dave_B
04-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Will... unfortunately I'm making the same statement, for the wrong reasons...

My sitter just bailed on my (Ry, you should have a PM regarding this) My backup and go to sitter is out of town this weekend. I'm scrambling to come up with another solution, but it's hard to leave your kids with just anyone.

Count me currently as highly unlikely and hope that I show up, I do enjoy some McMuffins. ;)

In lighter news, I hope to see a few of you on Sunday at the BMW Performance Center for the AutoX with Sandlapper.

My apologies to all for this shortcoming.

Torxuvin
04-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Will... unfortunately I'm making the same statement, for the wrong reasons...

My sitter just bailed on my (Ry, you should have a PM regarding this) My backup and go to sitter is out of town this weekend. I'm scrambling to come up with another solution, but it's hard to leave your kids with just anyone.

Count me currently as highly unlikely and hope that I show up, I do enjoy some McMuffins. ;)

In lighter news, I hope to see a few of you on Sunday at the BMW Performance Center for the AutoX with Sandlapper.

My apologies to all for this shortcoming.

Disappointing... Btw do you have a link for the autocross? I couldn't seem to find it

Dave_B
04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Tell me about it. Not at all happy about it. If I only had 2 kids, they'd be coming with me up there. ;) But fitting 3, one of which is in a Recaro child seat just won't work.

I too am having trouble finding an actual link other than the motorsportsreg.com site where I registered.

Ryans323i
04-18-2013, 04:16 AM
Definitely a bummer Dave. My parents couldn't watch my daughter this weekend either, so Kyle's taking her hiking on Sat (she gets car sick on Mom's "drives") and we're just going to bring her on Sunday.

I don't think there's any other "link" for the autox at the Performance Center. And, as is, the event is full. But, if it's on your way Cam, you could stop by as you head back to GA. It's open to visitors, and sometimes they have the instructors giving rides in the M5 and 1M.

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm super bummed about this. Was going to be the first time I meet many of you and all. Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll be able to pull it off.

Mtnman
04-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Dave,
If you dont come, this may be the first ZHP gathering without a ZHP! I think Cam is bringing the 'Vette...

Ryans323i
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
lol

Torxuvin
04-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Dave,
If you dont come, this may be the first ZHP gathering without a ZHP! I think Cam is bringing the 'Vette...

:rofl "Bring the vette. I want to drive it."

I've been driving a no-options 2010 impala through rural Alabama viewing buildings all week. Can't wait to drive a real car again. :D

Mtnman
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Ill claim that quote! I do want to drive it. We can race. Oh wait.....i havent tuned my car yet..........

See ya at 4 tomorrow cam. Kate is already buying fireball. Bring your big boy pants.

Torxuvin
04-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Ill claim that quote! I do want to drive it. We can race. Oh wait.....i havent tuned my car yet..........

See ya at 4 tomorrow cam. Kate is already buying fireball. Bring your big boy pants.

:party

Already finished most of my pre-flight checks. Fluids are good. Tire pressures are good. Clear plastidip bra installed on rock-prone areas. Finished insulation job on my noisy fuel pump. Too bad tomorrow is going to be rainy. I'm not going to bother with washing off the pollen that built up while I was out of town. I really wanted to put another coat of wax on it too. Three cheers for lower temps this weekend, seeing as my new ac components are still in the living room.

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Non-ZHP meatz with fireball!!! Damn how am I missing out on this.

My "easter basket" this year from my wife contained 10 mini bottles of that stuff.

Damnit! At least I'll see you, David next Tuesday. Albeit in the damn Toyota Matrix LOL

Ryans323i
04-19-2013, 04:11 AM
Not sure if I'm going to get a wash in today or not. Might just have to do it in the rain.

Mtnman
04-19-2013, 05:44 AM
^says the girl who has a garage queen, in a garage, that is probably the cleanest car in Asheville BEFORE she washes it.

My DD needs some lovin in a bad way!

Ryans323i
04-19-2013, 06:21 AM
FYI, I drove it in the rain on Tuesday. Aren't you proud? :biggrin

But on a serious note, I haven't hand washed it since last summer sometime.

Mtnman
04-19-2013, 06:30 AM
FYI, I drove it in the rain on Tuesday. Aren't you proud? :biggrin

:jawdrop whaaaa?

Torxuvin
04-19-2013, 06:32 AM
But on a serious note, I haven't hand washed it since last summer sometime.

:mob Poor Lucy. We might need to do a wash at some point this weekend.

Ryans323i
04-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Nah, she's going get dirty again on Sunday.