PDA

View Full Version : Redefining running on empty

az3579
01-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the fuel capacity of the E46 was 16.4 or 16.5 gallons. I just put more fuel into the car last night than it could take... huh????

JohnnyGraphic
01-29-2011, 09:09 AM
I just pulled up the manual. It shows 16.6 gallons with 2.1 gallons for the reserve tank.

Johnny

az3579
01-29-2011, 09:09 AM
I just pulled up the manual. It shows 16.6 gallons with 2.1 gallons for the reserve tank.

Johnny

Reserve tank? I didn't know there was such a thing...
So technically it's 18.7 gallons then...

kayger12
01-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Reserve tank? I didn't know there was such a thing...
So technically it's 18.7 gallons then...

16.6 gallons of which the last 2.1 gallons triggers the fuel light and is considered reserve.

So basically 14.5 gallons until the fuel light, then an additional 2.1 until you run out.

Seems like you were running on vapors.

az3579
01-29-2011, 09:50 AM
16.6 gallons of which the last 2.1 gallons triggers the fuel light and is considered reserve.

So basically 14.5 gallons until the fuel light, then an additional 2.1 until you run out.

Seems like you were running on vapors.

Ah, the way Johnny worded it, it seemed as though there was 2.1 gallons on top of the 16.6 capacity.

Oddly enough, my mileage indicator noted I still had about 5-10 miles left (don't remember precisely). I've reached the point once before where it said 0 miles for a good 2 or so miles before I found a fillup station...

This is only the second time my levels have ever gotten so low. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever come so close. :)

kayger12
01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Definitely not that close, lol.

I never like running the tank down that low because of the old conventional wisdom that you're more likely to suck whatever junk is in the tank into the pickup.

Not sure if there's any truth to it, but I usually gas up right around when the light comes on.

danewilson77
01-29-2011, 10:17 AM
I do not like letting it get less than 1/4....becuase thats when the secondary fuel pump has to start.....and I don't even like testing things that don't run very often....and control...weather I am drving...or sitting on the side of the road.

JohnnyGraphic
01-29-2011, 10:54 AM
When I posted that, I wasn't quite so sure myself. I know I've gotten up to about 16 gallons. Don't think I've ever gotten past 16 gallons though. I have seen the miles til empty go to zero a few times.

Johnny

mr hish
01-29-2011, 12:44 PM
bro dont let your fuel level to drop that low cause it will cause ur fuel pump to heat up and breakdown at a certain period

M0nk3y
01-29-2011, 02:19 PM

I never like running the tank down that low because of the old conventional wisdom that you're more likely to suck whatever junk is in the tank into the pickup.

Not sure if there's any truth to it, but I usually gas up right around when the light comes on.

This, you never want to run it that low

az3579
01-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Sometimes you just don't have a choice...

mimalmo
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Once I came close to running out; I was low on fuel and knew it. I was trying to make it to my usual station that has the ethanol-free premium gas I always use. My range display went all the way to zero until empty and I drove for a few miles with it at zero. Of course it was rush hour on the interstate and it was 95 degrees in the middle of summer. It would not have been fun walking in that traffic and weather.

M0nk3y
01-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Sometimes you just don't have a choice...

I know. It happens, I hope this just isn't a regular occasion.

My car literally cut out while I was pulling into the gas station

romanred62
01-29-2011, 11:05 PM
On one occassion I've filled up more than my tank could hold and that was in my Acura RSX before I got my ZHP. I think it was like .3 gallons over capacity. I was kinda freaked out cause it was during the time of high gas prices and I had heard something about gas stations not being as trustworthy so I was thinking the pump was altered so they could get more money for less gas.

az3579
01-30-2011, 06:12 AM
I had heard something about gas stations not being as trustworthy so I was thinking the pump was altered so they could get more money for less gas.

That would be highly illegal. I seriously doubt they would take the risk. Besides, theirs is a business that never slows down enough for them to warrant that. Gas prices go up, people will pay it regardless of how much it costs, because Americans won't give up their cars.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-30-2011, 07:40 AM
That would be highly illegal. I seriously doubt they would take the risk. Besides, theirs is a business that never slows down enough for them to warrant that. Gas prices go up, people will pay it regardless of how much it costs, because Americans won't give up their cars.

+1.

kayger12
01-30-2011, 08:03 AM

I've heard of it happening more than once, BP. Gasoline has one of the lowest profit margins of any retail item. The big oil companies might be making money hand over fist, but the gas station owners make very little.

They know that after Weights and Measures shows up to certify the pumps that they have a finite period before they return. Very easy for them to make small adjustments for short periods of time.

It's also very difficult to prosecute. The owners more likely will only face fines and closer scrutiny- not much of a deterrent.

I'm not saying it's common, but it happens more often than you might think.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/georgia/news-article.aspx?storyid=103637

M0nk3y
01-30-2011, 08:49 AM
I've heard of it happening more than once, BP. Gasoline has one of the lowest profit margins of any retail item. The big oil companies might be making money hand over fist, but the gas station owners make very little.

They know that after Weights and Measures shows up to certify the pumps that they have a finite period before they return. Very easy for them to make small adjustments for short periods of time.

It's also very difficult to prosecute. The owners more likely will only face fines and closer scrutiny- not much of a deterrent.

I'm not saying it's common, but it happens more often than you might think.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/georgia/news-article.aspx?storyid=103637

+1

Saw this story before. It's common, but Weights and Measures tries to keep it in check

danewilson77
01-30-2011, 08:52 AM
I always make sure it makes sense after pumping.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

az3579
01-31-2011, 02:58 AM
Most people are smart enough to not get gas at a station that charges a lot more. If they do that, they know they'll lose customers. That's the "weights and measures" system in the real world.
This is why it doesn't make much sense for them to inflate their prices.

Nivo
02-05-2011, 06:28 AM

almost every car today has a fuel pump "sock" which acts as the first filter inline...

so sucking stuff off the bottom of the tank is impossible, the only thing that happens over time is that the fuel pump sock get dirty.

I tested things out on the car once, had a 5 gallon gas can with me, I drove the car down till the dashes show for DTE. i then drove another 36 miles with the dashes, my light usually appears at around 60-64 miles on DTE.

kayger12
02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
almost every car today has a fuel pump "sock" which acts as the first filter inline...

so sucking stuff off the bottom of the tank is impossible, the only thing that happens over time is that the fuel pump sock get dirty.

Good info.

Even so, I like clean socks ;)

Marcus-SanDiego
02-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Good info.

Even so, I like clean socks ;)

Very good information. I didn't know that. I always thought that the crap at the bottom contributed to clogged fuel pumps eventually.

Also, I'm happy to know that you like clean socks, too. We have a very clean, friendly site. This contributes to it.

az3579
02-05-2011, 08:37 AM

I tested things out on the car once, had a 5 gallon gas can with me, I drove the car down till the dashes show for DTE. i then drove another 36 miles with the dashes, my light usually appears at around 60-64 miles on DTE.

This reminds of the Top Gear episode where they were on a fuel economy run to Blackpool. By the end of it, the low fuel lights have been on for quite a while, and for the Jaguar they determined there was still enough fuel in the tank for another 100 or so miles. It really is surprising just how much fuel is really left when the DTE says 0...

Also reminds me of the time he drove the Audi A8 diesel 800 or so miles on a single tank. You could easily hear the fuel pump whining on the very last leg of it. lol

Nivo
02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Very good information. I didn't know that. I always thought that the crap at the bottom contributed to clogged fuel pumps eventually.

Also, I'm happy to know that you like clean socks, too. We have a very clean, friendly site. This contributes to it.

yeah reason why they call them socks is because of the appearances of the filter when attached to the pump assembly.

here is a bmw assembly http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEcIaET2ea0nvjumWjl2zX8xuTPr9Ss FrBdRWVCNSZ5MjehC0gjw

Johnmadd
02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
bro dont let your fuel level to drop that low cause it will cause ur fuel pump to heat up and breakdown at a certain period

This. The fuel in the tank does help keep the pump cool.

Gheybe
02-06-2011, 12:39 AM
On my old Nissan Frontier, which was super awesome by the way, during a trip I pulled into a gas station with the car off, meaning it died about 15 meters away from the pump. Filled it all the way up, started driving again to my destination, about 100 miles from the place, I did the same thing at the station, pulling in with the car off.

I felt like a champ slash like a jerk for putting General Silvester though that.

onepercent
02-09-2011, 07:43 PM
A month after I got my car, I was on a road trip and ended up on a toll road where there were very few exits, and very far between. I got down to 4 miles till empty and was nervous as heck! I hate to do that to my fuel pump. Generally I fill up as soon as the light comes on.

My Audi A4 2.0T 6MT FWD has gone 600 highway miles on a tank in the summer. Pennsylvania to Indianapolis, no problem.

Gheybe- are you saying your Frontier barely made it 100 miles on a tank? Sounds like a PITA!

Gheybe
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
No no no no.. 100 miles form our destination. i could get the around 400 on a tank on that thing.

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 07:51 AM
No no no no.. 100 miles form our destination. i could get the around 400 on a tank on that thing.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/y-u-no-cry.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/no.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/NoDrowning.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/article-1023318-017076B500000578-578_468x286.jpg