PDA

View Full Version : Canon DSLRs, where to buy??

JupiterBMW
03-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Ok everyone, I know this is ANOTHER camera thread... With our tax return on its way, the lady and I have decided its time to buy a new camera. She wants to get into photography for friends/family, mostly shooting babies and kids, and I'd like to get into it for shooting nature and cars... We have been pretty settled on the Canon 60D. I've read a lot that many people outgrow the Rebels, even at the amateur level. While I don't see that happening for quite some time, I don't want to run into that... We don't plan to buy another camera for quite awhile, if ever, so I want to make sure that we get something that we can learn and grow with for a LONG time. Of course, that being said, I've been reading a lot about a new 70D being released at the end of next week. So, now I'm kind of wanting to see a list of specs on that model to see if I should wait. I like the weather sealing of the 7D (question if that will be the case with the 70D), but we really want the vari-angle LCD of the 60D (also reported to be possible on the new 70D). Of course, the 60D is also much more budget friendly...

So my main question, where do you all prefer to purchase from? Am I safe buying either of these models from the big stores (Best Buy, Costco, etc??) or should I look to smaller photography retailers? Also, what about purchasing online through Amazon?? I honestly don't use Amazon that much...

I do know that I need to look at the lenses that may or may not be offered in the bundles. I've been reading quite a bit about the lens designations and I will make sure to select the best package based on lenses. I'm thinking for now we'll go with a 17-85mm for all around shooting, work on other stuff later. But aside from lenses and package deals, where is the best place to shop or the best deal to find??

And also, what do all of you know about this new 70D? Anyone have any more info than the "rumor reports" that I find when searching online?? If it is truly a replacement, I think I might want to wait for it...

Aaaaaaaaaand discuss. :biggrin Thanks in advance folks! :thumbsup

johnrando
03-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Amazon, Costco, and B&H (online) are always good places to look. The only issue with Costco is that they tend to come in "kits", which if fine if that's what you want, but eventually you might want "better" lenses so piecing it together my be best (depending on how you want to use it). Sorry I can't be more help than that as I don't know Canon that well.

Tnhl1989
03-13-2013, 07:39 AM
So regarding cameras and such. It would seem that canon has been tailoring their equipment more to be lightweight and not as durable as previous models however they have had increase the chips inside of the unit. The 60D is a great camera for overall uses such as recording and photography. I would almost consider it as the new amateur/professional camera actually. As far as body goes for me it's about how it feels in my hands and where the button lay out is. In terms of quality and shooting I would say it really depends on the lens that you have to use with it. One of the first lens I picked up was a 50mm 1.8 which range about $100. Great small prime lens that does a lot. I'm sure the wife would really like that lens as it keeps the weigh of the camera and the lens to a minimum. Prime lens do get expensive quick though :P

In terms as answering your question about where to purchase it I would say anywhere really. Canon always warranty their cameras or repair them if you send it to them. This also includes the lens. So even if you buy things used they will still work on fixing them. I would say to keep on checking slickdeals and other deal sites to purchase everything. I know photography is big down in FL so maybe you can score something on craigslist. Just make sure that it is the right camera though. There is a few models of the 60 so you wouldn't want to mix them up. Good luck! :) Feel free to text me if anything else.

danewilson77
03-13-2013, 08:53 AM
We have some great affiliate links for camera supplies as well :)

pfr
03-13-2013, 09:09 AM
If I may take the thread sideways a bit, I just started to look for a "more advanced amateur camera" myself and was advised to look at the new, mirrorless cameras. They seem to be considerably less pricey and lighter while having larger sensors (than compact cameras) and interchangable lenses like the true DSLRs. My main question is at this point whether they are fast enough (lag-time -wise) for photographing active children?
Anybody have some experience?

Tnhl1989
03-13-2013, 10:08 AM
I am assuming you are talking about the micro 4/3rds? The point and shoot with interchangeable lenses?

IMO I feel that they are still on the beginning stages of development still and won't be use for higher end production/studio use for some time. I suppose I am also waiting till canon or nikon develops their own is worth it to me.

Jon D
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
I am assuming you are talking about the micro 4/3rds? The point and shoot with interchangeable lenses?

IMO I feel that they are still on the beginning stages of development still and won't be use for higher end production/studio use for some time. I suppose I am also waiting till canon or nikon develops their own is worth it to me.

Nikon has a competing system and they are not really designed for the pro's looking for full frame etc. I have a generation old olympus pen and am very happy with the camera and lens options. yes I could have gone dslr... but my equivalent setup would weigh 4x as much. body and 5 lenses and filters etc.. i would not discount the current generation of micro 4/3rds which is an olympus/panasonic offering. lenes are interchangeable between the 2 mfgs. i have 2 panny/leitz lenes and 3 olympus ones.

jsfbmw
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Ok everyone, I know this is ANOTHER camera thread... With our tax return on its way, the lady and I have decided its time to buy a new camera.

With new camera comes new tech, not necessarily better for particular purposes. You're lucky that you are now at the buying point and can wait for the imminent release of the new Canon before making your choice. I have the 17-85 and it's a very good all-around lens for a crop-factor camera. If I had to do it again, I would have socked away more bucks and gotten the 24-105L and 17-40L. Of course, budget and timing govern choices.

As for where to get your camera, I can recommend Unique Photo in NJ. They have awesome service and competitive prices. As with other "mail-order" places, you save on the sales tax when shipped to FL.

Good luck with figuring out "best" camera for you. Regardless, you'll be getting great equipment to learn on and to take your photos/videos.

pfr
03-13-2013, 11:27 AM

I was thinking of the likes of Canon EOS M or the Nikon V2 or the Sony Alpha series. From what I read I'm not sure they like to be called point and shoot but I don't know enough about them or DSLRs in general.

wsmeyer
03-13-2013, 11:42 AM
I'd look for a used one on Craigslist. And I'd look for a good deal with the highest likelihood of being able to resell it in 6 months or so and get my money back more than a specific camera.

IMO you can do all the research you want but until you actually start taking pictures I'd put the odds of you choosing the wrong camera at about 70%. Every camera / lens combination has it's strengths and weaknesses and until you really start shooting and figuring out what type of pictures you enjoy taking it's going to be very hard to weigh all the compromises.

Tnhl1989
03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd look for a used one on Craigslist. And I'd look for a good deal with the highest likelihood of being able to resell it in 6 months or so and get my money back more than a specific camera.

IMO you can do all the research you want but until you actually start taking pictures I'd put the odds of you choosing the wrong camera at about 70%. Every camera / lens combination has it's strengths and weaknesses and until you really start shooting and figuring out what type of pictures you enjoy taking it's going to be very hard to weigh all the compromises.

Yea if you would like I can pick up anything from NYC to Boston :)

UdubBadger
03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Jon hit me up via PM, I might be able to help you out here.

JupiterBMW
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Jon hit me up via PM, I might be able to help you out here.

PM sent.

JupiterBMW
03-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks to everyone for the info so far... After reading more and talking to a few peeps, I'm still undecided... It seems like I can get a good deal on a used camera (save money buy a better body), but then again, people too all say that the important piece is the choice in lens... So, still looking into exactly what I want to buy...

Also still curious about the 70D....

UdubBadger
03-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Something I forgot to mention Jon is the lens you choose you'll want macro focusing on too for the close ups your wife will be doing. It doesn't need to be a dedicated macro lens but some of the L glass lenses have the macro focusing on them already such as the 24-70 2.8 L. That's a pricey lens so let me see what else comes with it.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

wsmeyer
03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Something I forgot to mention Jon is the lens you choose you'll want macro focusing on too for the close ups your wife will be doing. It doesn't need to be a dedicated macro lens but some of the L glass lenses have the macro focusing on them already such as the 24-70 2.8 L. That's a pricey lens so let me see what else comes with it.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

I must have missed that part. What does she want to shoot that requires a macro lens?

JupiterBMW
03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I must have missed that part. What does she want to shoot that requires a macro lens?

Babies mostly.

UdubBadger
03-16-2013, 12:00 PM
while its not 110% necessary to have macro to shoot babies, it's very helpful for the close up/detail shots.

wsmeyer
03-16-2013, 03:30 PM
while its not 110% necessary to have macro to shoot babies, it's very helpful for the close up/detail shots.

This is what I was talking about when I said you won't really know what you want until you start shooting. A Macro lens would be my last choice for shooting my baby. My first choice is my 70-200, second choice is my 24-70. The 24-70 does go macro closer than 2 1/2ft but I almost never shoot kids that close. Just not my shooting style.

UdubBadger
03-16-2013, 03:53 PM
The 24-70 was what I had in mind for him as it gives him good overall walk around lens performance for when he is using it for things other than babies. Close up's of hands and feet or stuff like that would be where the macro is nice to have with a lens like that. I'd say the 70-200 is too bulky and heavy for it IMO, I barely use it for modeling shoots and instead either go full zoom in at 70mm on the brick (24-70) or use a 50mm and take a few steps in. In an ideal world I'd likely suggest an 85mm prime lens for the wife when the money to invest in additional glass comes up.

JupiterBMW
03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Alright boys, the tax return hit the bank account last night...!! So, with the supposed release of the 70D on Friday, I'm going to wait until then, but other than that, I'm ready to buy.

After talking to Seth quite a bit, he convinced me to look into a slightly used 7D over a new 60D... I can probably get either of those for $900-ish for the body I'd guess... I would really like to purchase new to ensure full warranty and NO issues with the camera, but either way, looking for the best bang for our buck. Also, looking to get something that we will not feel the need to upgrade. I'd rather invest in nice lenses and other types of lenses for different shooting methods. For now though, we'll get one lens, probably an EF-S 17-85 lens... Not so sure I'll need the STM variation, so probably the USM...

Am I right in my thinking so far on lenses? Anyone have any good website links that explain what to look for for lens selection?

Thanks again everyone!

brewer90
03-19-2013, 01:05 PM
What are you going to be shooting and will it be indoors or out?

If it is indoors and moving then you want a fast lens so I'd suggest an f2.8 small zoom. If you are outdoors shooting stills in bright light then your middle of the road f4-5.6 2 or 300mm zoom would work. I shoot Nikon so I can't help you on the good Canon lenses. The pros all seem to like the big white ones ;-)

JupiterBMW
03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I'd like to shoot outdoors, nature (flowers, scenery, animals, bugs, etc), cars, people... My wife wants it mainly for doing baby/kid photography... That will of course be a combination of in and outdoors.

UdubBadger
03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Pass on those Ef-s lenses IMO.

If you're not going to go to an L lens right away the 28-135mm is a good compromise on price and quality and it works on FF cameras too if you upgrade eventually.

You'll also get an extra 1/3rd stop as its a 3.5-5.6 fstop rather than a 4-5.6 like the 17-85.

I still say L glass is the best choice even if its used.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

JupiterBMW
03-20-2013, 04:40 AM
Yeah, I honestly was looking at an L lens, but Wikipedia was stating the retail price was $1250 or something insane like that......??

brewer90
03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Don't be afraid to spend money on good lenses if you plan to do more than just take snapshots. Also look for used lenses. Here is an L lense 24-105mm f4 for $750 that looks new. $400 savings. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1195600

UdubBadger
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I honestly was looking at an L lens, but Wikipedia was stating the retail price was $1250 or something insane like that......??

Ya but also consider used doesn't mean broken trashed or beat up. I can find you some of those l lenses in very good condition for $800 or less

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
03-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Don't be afraid to spend money on good lenses if you plan to do more than just take snapshots. Also look for used lenses. Here is an L lense 24-105mm f4 for $750 that looks new. $400 savings. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1195600

Exactly what I was going to suggest, down to the forum.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

JupiterBMW
03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
I will check out the forum for sure. Still looking for the best place to buy, this forum might bring good results. I am definitely open to used, looking to keep my initial purchase less than $1500.

wsmeyer
03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I prefer the face to face that Craigslist provides. FredMiranda is a great resource, but I don't want to end up like this guy:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190698

Marcus-SanDiego
03-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Not sure if you're open to Nikon, but I have a lightly used D700 for sale. It's a full frame camera. About 10,000 clicks on it.

Hit me up if you're interested.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

brewer90
03-20-2013, 05:35 PM
I prefer the face to face that Craigslist provides. FredMiranda is a great resource, but I don't want to end up like this guy:

That's pretty shitty. I've had good luck with internet sales from across the country though. I've purchased about 20 guitars and ten amps only had one minor issue. I've purchased two motorcycles and flown across the country to pick them up sight unseen (except for pics of course) with no issue. Finally I just flew to Wisconsin in January and picked up my ZHP sight unseen and it was perfect. Maybe I'm just lucky ;-)

Either way I think used is the way to go. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

UdubBadger
03-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I will check out the forum for sure. Still looking for the best place to buy, this forum might bring good results. I am definitely open to used, looking to keep my initial purchase less than $1500.

Like I said earlier, it's where I buy about 90% of my gear from

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

brewer90
03-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Jupiter - I'm not sure what your photography experience is but I think you might find this book a good read. It's one of the best photography books I've come across. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390

And if don't by from my local camera shop or used I get all my stuff from bhphotovideo.com. It's the only New York based camera store I trust.

billyjack
03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I've had good dealings with B&H, Tri-State Camera, and Adorama. The first two I've dealt with over the phone as well and they're always nice and knowledgeable.

if it were me I'd buy a new body and used lens (from a reputable dealer). A lot of people take better care of their lenses than their cameras (partly I guess due to the bodies being handled more). My best lenses were bought used.

danewilson77
03-20-2013, 06:37 PM

Pg 16, post 11 is interesting.

Pg 16, post 20 is the Mafia.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

JupiterBMW
03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the continued support folks. Lots of reading to be done, and for now, we're just kind of in limbo. I'm only a couple weeks from going home, so I think the wife may be ok with waiting so we can purchase together. I too am feeling good about buying used, just want to be sure of what I want first.

JupiterBMW
04-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Alright folks... We've done some more research and thinking, and honestly, given that we sort of want to save some cash right now, I think we decided on buying the T5i instead of the higher end cameras. I had ruled out the 60D, but was looking for a good used 6D... Of course, that's all out the door now. We're looking at the T5i because it has new technology and will be a good platform to learn on. And when we want to upgrade, we'll be able to keep lenses and just buy a body next time...

That being said, we were getting sold on Tamron lenses. I'm not a fan of "off brands" but I don't know here... Would we be ok to buy? As good as Canon lenses or should we spend the extra coin for the Canon lenses.. I was told to spend the money on nice glass...

Looking at the kit lens offered with the T5i (18-135 IS STM) which seems good... But, if Tamron is a good call we'll go with that and choose the best lens we feel fits what we want...

Looking to purchase as soon as we get home to Florida mid week! :biggrin Getting excited...

3ZHPGUY
04-22-2013, 06:35 PM
I just got my T3i for Christmas with the EFS 18-55mm Kit Lens and a EFS 55-250mm both with image stabilizer and am very pleased with the entire package.

UdubBadger
04-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Canon lenses are why you buy a Canon. Nikon is way ahead in the body technology department with the sensors - more so on the lower end but none the less - you invest in Canon systems for the glass. If you're going to get a Canon body and put non Canon glass on it you might as well just go with the Nikon comparable.

JupiterBMW
04-23-2013, 03:12 AM
Canon lenses are why you buy a Canon. Nikon is way ahead in the body technology department with the sensors - more so on the lower end but none the less - you invest in Canon systems for the glass. If you're going to get a Canon body and put non Canon glass on it you might as well just go with the Nikon comparable.

Awesome thanks for that info. Concise and makes sense.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-24-2013, 05:33 AM
I've heard of canon guys getting Nikon glass for their canon bodies. Always wondered about that.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

UdubBadger
04-24-2013, 06:52 AM
I've heard of people jumping out of airplanes for fun... Doesn't mean it's a good idea. ;)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile