PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone RE760 / Continental DWS / Bridgestone PolePosition S04

SoarinZHP
03-13-2013, 05:59 PM
My car came with the RE760. I got 40,000 miles out of them. Since they came with the car, I had nothing to compare them to. However, towards the end of their life, they started feeling real greasy.

I went to the tire store and I explained the lack of stickiness and my desire for a quiet tire with good dry and wet traction. He suggested the Continental DWS. From my perspective they are horrible. I had them for about 500 miles and returned them. While they were quiet, the felt very isolated and disconnected from the road. Also very squishy. The cornering characteristics of the car changed completely - it felt like it was leaning with every turn - like the thing had no sway bar. Very unhappy with those tires.

The manager suggested I got with the S04's. What a difference. They are a tad louder - but the car handles as designed again. Grip is fanstastic as is sidewall stiffness yielding a very flat cornering vehicle. Point and shoot.

One issue that did arise was when driving down the road, the car sounded like a tractor trailer with the wahwahwahwah sound. THat was driving me insane. I too the car back to the tire store. The pulled all the wheels checking for balancing and whatever else. I was told the right rear was off by 1/2 gram. When I took it home and back to work, the noise was gone. I don't see how such a small amount of weight could make that much of a difference... But the car is fixed.

Bottom line - unless you need an all season tire or want a "plush" ride, I would stay away from the COnti's. The S04's seem great.... And they are less expensive than Michelins...

Thanks and have a nice day.

Vas
03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
I agree with you on the dws. Previous owner had them installed on my car and I don't like them one bit.

BCS_ZHP
03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Sorry to conflict but I'm now a diehard Conti DWS supporter. It's an all-season so it compromises in some areas and for he DC-area it's perfect. It's not the best in summer, nor a hard winter but its a great all around. It does supply better MPGs than the Michelin Pilot A/S's on my car, better fuel mileage, and cheaper than the Michelins, what's not to like?

danewilson77
03-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Sorry to conflict but I'm now a diehard Conti DWS supporter. It's an all-season so it compromises in some areas and for he DC-area it's perfect. It's not the best in summer, nor a hard winter but its a great all around. It does supply better MPGs than the Michelin Pilot A/S's on my car, better fuel mileage, and cheaper than the Michelins, what's not to like?

How many miles do you typically get out of a set Bruce?

Additionally, I think KG would mimic your write-up regarding the Khumo 4X.