PDA

View Full Version : Lightwerkz FXR retrofit

Tampa330i
03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Gents,

I think I'm going to scrap the second car for now and put some love into the zhp. The numbers don't add up on buying a gas saver to justify it's price, it would take me 5 years to break even on gas savings vs the zhp. I have needed headlights for 2 years because of the really poor light output on my zkws. I've avoided getting them fixed because of the high cost and it really hasn't been a problem with my 5 minute commute to work. Essentially I cannot drive at night without my fogs on, and even then I have pretty bad visibility with the short range of the fogs. I just contacted Lightwerkz and they quoted me $425 + return shipping for a retrofit w/fxr projectors. This is cheaper than I thought it would be. For the record, I have a 2004 330i with factory bixenon. I'm going to send my lights in as soon as my house closes and I move the car there. I'm looking forward to having working headlights, I will update with the results but it might be a couple weeks.

Avetiso
03-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Lightmodz in New Jersey does good work as well, and pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

alexandre
03-26-2013, 06:14 AM
My PO retrofitted Lightwerkz right before I bought the car. They're excellent.

A cheaper alternative could be to swap in M3 AL projector housings - about $150 in parts.

johnrando
03-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Glad the zhp is gonna get more love. Hope the lights stuff works out.

Tampa330i
03-26-2013, 09:00 PM
I wish I had time to mess around inside the headlights, but it just isn't going to happen. I don't even want to have to send them anywhere but it's the cheapest option short of doing it myself. Things will be crazy in the next week, and even worse if I have to commute at night with poor visibility. I'll probably rent a car while my headlights are in the mail. Really looking forward to having working headlights.

nike001
03-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Lightmodz in New Jersey does good work as well, and pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

+1 to lightmodz. Awesome people, and much cheaper.

LightWerkz just has that name where people go to them no matter what, so they charge outrageous prices for labor to just put new projectors into old housings. I emailed them and got pretty arrogant replies back as well.

az3579
03-27-2013, 06:59 AM
+1 to lightmodz. Awesome people, and much cheaper.

LightWerkz just has that name where people go to them no matter what, so they charge outrageous prices for labor to just put new projectors into old housings. I emailed them and got pretty arrogant replies back as well.

Dunno man, I find their prices extremely good. I mean, $400 and change that includes the price of the projectors? It's got to be a couple of hours labor; I'm wondering how they make any money with their pricing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

sillieidiot
03-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Dunno man, I find their prices extremely good. I mean, $400 and change that includes the price of the projectors? It's got to be a couple of hours labor; I'm wondering how they make any money with their pricing.

it's because they buy the projectors in bulk from TRS. the costs used to be a lot more. but i would rather pay that because they used OEM projectors and lenses. nowadays, everything they use are replicas. for awhile they were charging the same OEM projector price, but using replica projectors/lenses. glad to see they changed it. their price now is pretty competitve. that's about how much i would charge.

az3579
03-27-2013, 07:45 AM
it's because they buy the projectors in bulk from TRS. the costs used to be a lot more. but i would rather pay that because they used OEM projectors and lenses. nowadays, everything they use are replicas. for awhile they were charging the same OEM projector price, but using replica projectors/lenses. glad to see they changed it. their price now is pretty competitve. that's about how much i would charge.

I thought TRS = Lightwerkz?
Learned something new. Thanks.

sillieidiot
03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
nah, TRS has been around way longer than Lightwerkz. actually TRS had a very bad rep because they ripped off a bunch of on HIDP. but after a few years, that's all changed now since TRS pretty much bought the forum. I've never had a problem with them, i usually just contact the owner directly when I need something. But there's a lot of retrofit shops that are associated/do business with TRS

Tampa330i
05-07-2013, 06:10 PM
It has been done:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0645/h77agu46jwfaghhfg.jpg

Tampa330i
05-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Hard to tell because they're so bright - angel eyes:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/c278/by2n7v9vyccb4gtfg.jpg

Avetiso
05-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Noice

NorCalZman
05-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Wow thats impressive. I need to compare that to my car next time i drive. I might be talking with Lightwerkz zoon.

So they just fix the burnt bowls right? The headlight leveling motors still work and all that?

wertyu78
05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Looks good, I know you're loving it. TRS did my FX-R 3.0 retrofit about a year ago.

nike001
05-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Looks great!

Now we need output shots on the ground!

Tampa330i
05-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow thats impressive. I need to compare that to my car next time i drive. I might be talking with Lightwerkz zoon.

So they just fix the burnt bowls right? The headlight leveling motors still work and all that?

Yeah they replace the entire projector and housing so those bowls are gone for good! I wish a had a before picture, huge difference. Everything else seems to check out.