PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Member will be in SoCal 2nd week of July... show me a good time?

wertyu78
03-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Whats up SoCal members? I'm embarking on a road trip to the west coast(first time there). Who wants to show me a good time? I want to see the beaches, PCH, attractions, BMWs, car meets, more BMWs, ZHP's, ZHP's, ZHP's, etc... :)

List of places I plan to see in SoCal and Cali (will be updated):

Huntington Beach
Newport Beach
Long Beach
Fuji's Famous Burger
The South Bay
Venice
Gjelina Take Away
Malibu
Highway 1 to Carmel

Link to main thread:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9405-Help-me-plan-my-road-trip-Greenville-SC-to-Los-Angeles-CA

Dave_B
03-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Beach? Hit up Huntington Beach. I really liked it there as I mentioned in your other thread.

KevinC
03-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Ah yes, HB, my home for many years before being exiled to Arizona 9 years ago. Definitely worth a visit. If you're there at mealtime, have a teriyaki bacon cheeseburger at Fuji's Famous Burger, local staple for ~40 years. I hit the joint every time I'm back in town.

johnrando
03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Plan to come by the area south of LAX, called The South Bay. Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach. William and I live near and while I can't speak for William for sure, we'll try to show you some of the local beach flavor, and I'm sure he's up for it.

JupiterBMW
03-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Agree with rando. The South Bay area is awesome... Also, Huntington and Newport Beach are both very nice... Just skip everything between those areas.. (Long Beach area...lol)

I might actually be coming back out to my ship at that point, so perhaps I could join in the fun. Not that I want to think about coming BACK to work a few days before I leave, but you know... :facepalm

wertyu78
04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Beach? Hit up Huntington Beach. I really liked it there as I mentioned in your other thread.

Will check it out!

Ah yes, HB, my home for many years before being exiled to Arizona 9 years ago. Definitely worth a visit. If you're there at mealtime, have a teriyaki bacon cheeseburger at Fuji's Famous Burger, local staple for ~40 years. I hit the joint every time I'm back in town.

I'll be sure to stop there for some grubbing. I actually plan on spending a few days in Phoenix if you're close to that area.

Plan to come by the area south of LAX, called The South Bay. Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach. William and I live near and while I can't speak for William for sure, we'll try to show you some of the local beach flavor, and I'm sure he's up for it.

My father mentioned the same thing. He said it was a really fun area in the 80's. I'd like to meet up!

Agree with rando. The South Bay area is awesome... Also, Huntington and Newport Beach are both very nice... Just skip everything between those areas.. (Long Beach area...lol)

I might actually be coming back out to my ship at that point, so perhaps I could join in the fun. Not that I want to think about coming BACK to work a few days before I leave, but you know... :facepalm
That'd be neat if you could meet up.

RITmusic2k
04-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Depending on the schedule, I'm in for some participation as well! Don't listen to those naysayers, by the way. Long Beach is a *fantastic* city.

wsmeyer
04-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Count me in!

:beer :beer :beer

wsmeyer
04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Depending on the schedule, I'm in for some participation as well! Don't listen to those naysayers, by the way. Long Beach is a *fantastic* city.

I think Long Beach is a fantastic city too, just don't wander too far inland :eek

wsmeyer
04-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Honestly, I couldn't think of anything special in Huntington so I asked my wife who was born and raised there. "Why would anyone go there? Are you sure he wasn't in Newport"

:dunno

Dave_B
04-02-2013, 05:59 AM
I've only been to California once, and it was really only for a day. Friend lived in Henderson (next to Las Vegas) and asked me to help him move back to FL and help drive. I told him under one condition, we hit up the beach in California.

It started at Long Beach. I LOL'd at the response above about skipping it. I totally agree. Walked on the sand, could see Oil rigs out in the water and first thing I found on the beach was a syringe. We kept going south and found Huntington. It really reminded me of my local and home beach, New Smyrna Beach in Florida just south of Daytona. Made me personally feel like home.

What's special? No clue, I only spent about 5 hours there. But it "felt like home"

wertyu78
04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
I'll also be hitting up Venice beach!

Spoke with Este from the group HAIM today. She said to go to "Gjelina Take Away". I'll be eating there for sure.

If you've not heard of HAIM... Well here ya go! Three sisters from the Valley

http://youtu.be/0ovrplcNwXo

LivesNearCostco
04-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey, I grew up in Long Beach! Okay it's not as exciting as the South Bay. Does have some good sailing and wind/kite-surfing. The breakwater means no waves so no surfing. There is the Queen Mary (think of the Titanic but it didn't sink) and a nice aquarium, plus good bike path in Long Beach,along the beach, though it's not as long or as scenic as the one running from Redondo Beach all the way to the Santa Monica pier. If you're into renting a bike or in-line skates and getting some exercise, that's a nice ride, mostly flat with views of beach, bikinis, street artists and body builders in Venice, planes from LAX, a power plant, etc.

Comparing Huntington vs. Newport Beach: Huntington has more sand, surfing, volleyball, and regular car dealerships (auto mall). Newport Beach has more upscale shopping (Fashion Island--not really an island), hills, expensive houses, and Ferraris and other exotic car dealerships. Don't know anything about the bar or club scene of either. Newport has the more expensive seafood restaurants... not sure if they're better, but they're more expensive!

RITmusic2k
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Long Beach has a great arts district and a fantastic downtown with some excellent eating/drinking choices. I mean, everywhere around here has that, but there are some real gems in the LBC.

wertyu78
04-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Updated the main post. Keep the suggestions coming!

wsmeyer
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Spoke with Este from the group HAIM today. She said to go to "Gjelina Take Away". I'll be eating there for sure.

Gjelina is pretty awesome but even the takeaway on a weekday gets a good line.

wertyu78
04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Gjelina is pretty awesome but even the takeaway on a weekday gets a good line.

It must be THAT good. I'm anxious to try it.

wertyu78
06-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Any kind of BMW meets or events that happen regularly? Out here we have our sunday night car meets and usually get close to 200 cars show up.

johnrando
06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
There's a Cars & Coffee in Irvine regularly. There's an M3 Club that meets somewhat regularly... check out the "California" section on e46f.c for that one.

bullfrogs_M3
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
I only work out here in Irvine during the week (Mon-thur) but if there is a get together one of those days, I'm in!

Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

wertyu78
06-13-2013, 03:31 PM
There's a Cars & Coffee in Irvine regularly. There's an M3 Club that meets somewhat regularly... check out the "California" section on e46f.c for that one.

Good idea, thanks for the tips!

wertyu78
06-13-2013, 03:31 PM
I only work out here in Irvine during the week (Mon-thur) but if there is a get together one of those days, I'm in!

Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

I'll be sure to let you know!

wertyu78
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Here in the Marina Del Ray area!

johnrando
07-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I posted a response in the original members only section thread.

wertyu78
01-01-2014, 06:41 PM
and I'm back again! Here until Saturday with an open schedule. Anyone want to meet up? 11538

Sent from my iPhone