PDA

View Full Version : Diameter of spacers?

wsmeyer
04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Anybody have one laying around they can measure?

I'm curious how much the round stock would cost to make my own but diameter makes a huge difference in price.

nike001
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Mine are about the same size of my hub.

Upon a quick google search, my search shows that the hub is 72.5mm

wsmeyer
04-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Mine are about the same size of my hub.

Upon a quick google search, my search shows that the hub is 72.5mm

Thanks but the hub is just the part of the spacer that extends into the wheel. I was hoping to get the outside diameter of the spacer. I'll have my wheels off Saturday and can measure it but was hoping someone had a spare laying around they could do it real quick.

sillieidiot
04-04-2013, 02:24 AM
that's the hub lip (in BMW terms anyways, you are correct though, it's really called the hub). but the hub in BMW terms (which is really called the hub flange) is the part that the lug bolts thread into, and the rotors sit on. it's basically the diameter of the rotor hat.

Sockethead
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Looks like my Turner Motorsports are 150mm

wsmeyer
04-04-2013, 02:35 PM
that's the hub lip (in BMW terms anyways, you are correct though, it's really called the hub). but the hub in BMW terms (which is really called the hub flange) is the part that the lug bolts thread into, and the rotors sit on. it's basically the diameter of the rotor hat.

Interesting. Hub centric wheels put the shear force on the hubs instead of the lugs. So since that "lip" is where the force is applied I've always called it the hub.

:dunno

****EDIT

I just checked RealOEM and they list it as "Drive flange hub" which makes the most sense as it is a combination flange / hub.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BW53&mospid=47707&btnr=33_0838&hg=33&fg=40

wsmeyer
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Looks like my Turner Motorsports are 150mm

Thanks!

Tomorrow I'll see what I can find and price. What really got me going was when I asked the place I normally get stuff from and he said he had a piece "about 6" long" I could have for $50. That might be cutting it close with cutting losses and all but we'll see.

The reason I wanted to just turn my own is that I can start larger than I think will fit and keep turning them down until I get the perfect size. Unfortunately there may be a flaw in my plan though in that once I cut the center out of the spacers I'm not certain I'll be able to clamp them back in the lathe.

sillieidiot
04-04-2013, 09:01 PM
yeah it's weird. i always called it a hub (and the other part a flange like i stated) too. but that's what it's referred to as when you talk to other bmw people. i was confused for the longest time lol

JupiterBMW
04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks!

Tomorrow I'll see what I can find and price. What really got me going was when I asked the place I normally get stuff from and he said he had a piece "about 6" long" I could have for $50. That might be cutting it close with cutting losses and all but we'll see.

The reason I wanted to just turn my own is that I can start larger than I think will fit and keep turning them down until I get the perfect size. Unfortunately there may be a flaw in my plan though in that once I cut the center out of the spacers I'm not certain I'll be able to clamp them back in the lathe.

I totally understand the idea of wanting to be able to make the exact width, but honestly, the time spent machining is no way worth it... I'll just buy a set and go with it...

sillieidiot
04-05-2013, 01:55 AM
just use some washers to measure how much you want and then buy the spacer that is closest to that

Sockethead
04-05-2013, 05:10 AM
just use some washers to measure how much you want and then buy the spacer that is closest to that

I highly recommend using this method. I measured with a tape measure like, 5 times and it still was inaccurate and ended up getting the wrong thickness.