PDA

View Full Version : It's "Take your Car to Work" night!

Rovert
04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
So I went to the office to work late and strategize the future and finished early! My car looked somewhat cold and sad being all alone in a dark parking lot knowing that the expansion of the office meant temporary warm space for her inside the new warehouse conversion. When I said she can come in she was happy as can be even being a little bit of a dirty girl...

http://f.cl.ly/items/1S330X46331P061I2i3n/E46_AR_Office_1024--7.jpg

Showing off her dirty side from splashing in a mud puddle on the way to the office:
http://f.cl.ly/items/351a3x1b1f0M3d1s303T/E46_AR_Office_1024-.jpg

She really needs a good cut polish:
http://f.cl.ly/items/2s0t440Y0Z0v0C0Y3n1v/E46_AR_Office_1024--3.jpg

Balancing it out, the "cleaner" side:
http://f.cl.ly/items/0q3D3V111f0D0s41281j/E46_AR_Office_1024--2.jpg

She insisted on the glamour shot:
http://f.cl.ly/items/1i3c0x0S0A0D1A1n3u0i/E46_AR_Office_1024--4.jpg

And here is an overview on my lighting setup. I pointed 12 desk lamps equipped with 20w CFL bulbs towards the car, the walls, and the ceiling to create a nice warm light. Two of the same lamps were used to light the ground & the dark side of the car since there were unused power plugs at my disposal:
http://f.cl.ly/items/1q2b0j2Y1j2A2X021441/E46_AR_Office_1024--5.jpg

I also used my LED array to light up parts where I couldn't get wired light to:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mQ6XNXoLhK8/T1NDWxajvVI/AAAAAAAACOk/ZgRsHeGtJXo/s1016/P1020979.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my pictures sharper. I think my mistake was forgetting to turn off IS when using a tripod? I'm temporarily using a Canon T4i with a kit 18-135mm STM lens. I'm assuming some of you who can create these ultra clear shots are using the epic creating L lens? Maybe my technique is off...still learning. Also I tried using F22 on the lens but it was so soft compared to using F10 so I stuck with the more open apertures. Maybe my lighting is off to help create definition. Maybe I really need strobes so I can snap at 1/60 instead of long 4-8 second exposures. Any advice from the pro's would be sure useful!! :rockon

danewilson77
04-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Awesome pics Trevor. That first pic, is the only pic, I will ever endorse with the wheels turned not showing any rim. Looks great.

Mtnman
04-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Looks good Trevor. I have no advice for you on the camera, but the end pics def arent you best. You take some awesome shots outside. Yu will figure it out.

D

UdubBadger
04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
funny i brought my car into work today too. :)

as for the sharpness, could be the lens is bad. I certainly make use of the L lenses I own but I also use my 50mm (non L) for a lot also. just depends on how your camera/lens are calibrated too.

Rovert
04-09-2013, 05:41 PM
i was noticing the IS was jiggling the image when I was on a steady ground just moving the tripod and tapping rotation into position. I'm also thinking of getting rid of the T4i and going to a D5200. I heard it has a new Toshiba CMOS sensor for better video which nearly equals the 5DMKIII which is more my goal. The T4i's touchscreen is a gem though!! I think I need 2 or 3 wireless strobes for indoor photography than to depend on ambient lights/desklamps. LOL

Tnhl1989
04-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I would say get some alien bees and a simple 50mm 1.4 if anything. Get more lighting and quicker shutter speed should do the trick. Of course Cali is the place to be to purchase any equipment. Also if you are on a tripod then yes turn off the IS and just shoot. The lighting in the background seems a tad overexpose which would give you the super bright lights as mentioned in someone's night photography the other day. Keep at it and I would say just get another lens ;)

derbo
04-10-2013, 12:27 AM
trevor, you make me seriously consider RCR tails and clears.. :X good pics

UdubBadger
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
i was noticing the IS was jiggling the image when I was on a steady ground just moving the tripod and tapping rotation into position. I'm also thinking of getting rid of the T4i and going to a D5200. I heard it has a new Toshiba CMOS sensor for better video which nearly equals the 5DMKIII which is more my goal. The T4i's touchscreen is a gem though!! I think I need 2 or 3 wireless strobes for indoor photography than to depend on ambient lights/desklamps. LOL

I normally shoot a car with 2 lights or less, most times 1. Upgrading cameras isn't always the issue. I can take the same shots on my 5D2 as my 7D or my 50D for that matter. Solidifying your technique will always yield better results than just upgrading equipment.

johnrando
04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Always likes your pics and captions Trev!

Rovert
04-10-2013, 10:50 PM
I normally shoot a car with 2 lights or less, most times 1. Upgrading cameras isn't always the issue. I can take the same shots on my 5D2 as my 7D or my 50D for that matter. Solidifying your technique will always yield better results than just upgrading equipment.

I totally agree with upgrading cameras for photos....but it seems like from a few reviews there is a difference in video which is more my priority as a sidekick to my already awesome video machine that screams in clarity and razor sharp detail compared to even the 5DMKIII. But it's being estimated and fixed right now so I need something in the mean time. I wouldn't worry much about the model if the competing model was the same brand but this is investing in a new ecosystem of which I am clean canvas. I've never owned a DSLR. I've made due with P&S and m4/3 cameras. Can you use alien bees for constant light? I could so use them for strobe photography and constant light video photography. I'd love if the equipment I add to my arsenal can be used for both still and motion.

Tnhl1989
04-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Hey Trevor,

I'll get you in contact with a friend who is in movie production business in SoCal since I don't know much about movie shooting. However I know in terms for photography we usually set up a alien bee wireless to shoot at the conferences I attend in the summers. As far as I could remember we usually shoot our movies without any extra lighting. If you can search on Vimeo for 75bmedia that would be his work. Ill send you a pm later Trevor with his contact information. Remind me if I forget :)

UdubBadger
04-11-2013, 01:11 PM
I totally agree with upgrading cameras for photos....but it seems like from a few reviews there is a difference in video which is more my priority as a sidekick to my already awesome video machine that screams in clarity and razor sharp detail compared to even the 5DMKIII. But it's being estimated and fixed right now so I need something in the mean time. I wouldn't worry much about the model if the competing model was the same brand but this is investing in a new ecosystem of which I am clean canvas. I've never owned a DSLR. I've made due with P&S and m4/3 cameras. Can you use alien bees for constant light? I could so use them for strobe photography and constant light video photography. I'd love if the equipment I add to my arsenal can be used for both still and motion.

Yeah you can but it's not MADE for it. Strobes aren't meant for video, it's just modeling lamps. You can always get a set of cheap tungsten lights for video. I think I got a set of 500w lamps with stands and umbrellas on eBay a while back for like $129.

The video difference in 5D3 and T4i is only because of the full frame sensor (#becausefullframe). More info going into the larger sensor, so higher quality going to come out in the final product. Sure it's nice to have, but I just want to make sure you don't think it's going to solve the lighting issues you're having.

Like I said before...

Technique > Equipment

Rovert
04-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I've always held off on equipment and use whatever is around me to light the source to make it real and not fake looking. But now that the business is becoming so much more professional...videos need to be lit better than overhead fluorescent tubes can.. LOL. I've been bouncing home depot 500 watt lights off of a white board to give my subject light. I do want to have more LED because battery power can hold light for 2 hours or more...but they're still kind of greenish which isn't fun for post video production. Seth come to Vancouver! I want to learn what you have in your brain.....I'll practice the Vulcan mind meld so I can learn it in less than 15 seconds. Then I can be your pysch right after that. LOL

UdubBadger
04-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Hahaha dude you're free to hit me up anytime for advice or whatever you need.

And I'd love a trip out there to go to Whistler. Maybe one day :)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Rovert
04-12-2013, 12:45 AM
:thumbsup