PDA

View Full Version : Adding Horsepower to a ZHP

jonnyd330
04-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Lately I have been tossing around the idea of getting more power for my ZHP since my buddy is looking at getting an e46 M3. If he gets it he is planning on getting a turbo kit for it and making around 600hp.

I know there are supercharger options out there for zhp's but they don't add a whole lot of power for the amount of money they are. I did see a youtube video of an V8 LS ZHP.

That got me thinking about doing an S54 swap or LS swap just wondering what other zhp guys do for extra power?

cakM3
04-11-2013, 08:40 AM
ESS Twin Screw.....FTW :thumbsup

onepercent
04-11-2013, 08:43 AM
If you have a coupe, the cheapest and easiest way to get 50% more power in roughly the same car is to sell your coupe and get an M3.

If you are committed to a 4 door E46, then S/C or S54 swap, I guess. LSD would also be a useful item to swap while doing this. I never really knew how big a difference the LSD makes until I went from my ZHP to my M3. Of course I had driven many other LSD cars but when switching platforms there are so many different variables that it's hard to tell what role the diff is playing. Here in the same E46 platform I really notice the difference an LSD makes.

Vas
04-11-2013, 02:52 PM
S54 swap if you know what you are doing.

Torxuvin
04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
If you have a coupe, the cheapest and easiest way to get 50% more power in roughly the same car is to sell your coupe and get an M3.

This. NA BMWs are not easy or inexpensive to get power from. If you want to go with the zhp, I have heard good things about ESS.

Avetiso
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
If you are committed to the ZHP, I'd go with S54. In my opinion, though, if you are looking for POWER, ZHP is not your car.

Rovert
04-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Get a new car that's more special than a ZHP!!

Or...get high performance driving lessons. A well driven ZHP can keep up with an average M3 driver. They'd be trying to lose you but you'd be this irritating tick on it's behind the whole time. :)

danewilson77
04-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Or...get high performance driving lessons. A well driven ZHP can keep up with an average M3 driver. They'd be trying to lose you but you'd be this irritating tick on it's behind the whole time. :)

Ha!!!

You've done it before....I can tell.

3ZHPGUY
04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
IMO, before you invest in radical HP change, spend some time doing some High Performance Driving Schools and you’ll find the ZHP is more than enough for a beginner. After you’ve done five or more schools you will have better ideas about HP, suspension, tires and or other car options. That my friend is a whole lot more fun than just HP numbers.

If you’re just interested in straight line speed, don’t waste a Bimmer, less expensive Chevy’s, Fords and Dodge’s can do that all day long.

Vas
04-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah but being able to do a rolling burnout in 2nd gear is always fun.

The zhp does not need a lot of power but somewhere in the ballpark of 300whp would be awesome hence the s54 swap

midlandtech
04-11-2013, 06:18 PM
350-400 would be so much fun and in the right hands one hell of a performer. That said the work needed to attain that power level would be substantial (and very expensive) and I would venture to guess that reliability (even semi daily driven) would be effected detrimentally.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Newjack
04-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Yeah but being able to do a rolling burnout in 2nd gear is always fun.

The zhp does not need a lot of power but somewhere in the ballpark of 300whp would be awesome hence the s54 swap

S54 swap would be sweet, but if you do that you might as well just do the rear end swap too and get the LSD. For the same price you can get a twin screw that is (allegedly) very simple to install and gives you enough power to outrun a stock e46 m3. Its really all about how you want to spend your money as both are great options.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Vas
04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
It all depends. But 300-350 at the wheels is plenty enough for a street car.

A proper engine management and tune makes all the difference in the world.

Vas
04-11-2013, 06:45 PM
S54 swap would be sweet, but if you do that you might as well just do the rear end swap too and get the LSD. For the same price you can get a twin screw that is (allegedly) very simple to install and gives you enough power to outrun a stock e46 m3. Its really all about how you want to spend your money as both are great options.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

An LSD is required no matter what imo. Even with a bone stock zhp, an LSD makes the car that much better.

Rovert
04-12-2013, 01:03 AM
I've been driving my friend's M3 manual transmission around for a couple days and even that bump in power is different. Sometimes it's just brutally scary, sometimes you are wondering why it's too slow. I can only drive the M3 so fast in corners where the most fun is to me. My ZHP can do the same speeds in those corners albiet a tad bit slower exit speed. When an M54 engine is placed in the right RPM's it can go like a bat out of a very hot fiery place. :D I came off a corner tonight that warns me to slow to 40-45MPH. At apex the engine was singing near the top of 3rd gear which is probably about 80-85MPH. I assure you not many M3 drivers could even dare try that.

I can drive my car 9 tenths in the rain and when i want I can go 11 tenths and slide my car safetly and have a heck of a time. Driving the M3 at 7 tenths scares me right now...LOL. I really need to get used to it's lighter engine components, throttle response, and extra torque. I think the tires weren't equal to what I'm used to. I'm running dedicated summers and the M3 had Pilot Sport A/S. I can push the rear out at 2,500RPM. My car dreams of being able to do that...haha. I know my next car will have an ///M in it...not sure which one but it excites me and scares me. You won't feel what I feel in this paragraph unless you have dedicated some personal time to really map out the dynamics of a vehicle and learn how to drive your existing car balls out on the track without breaking anything.

Just stop and think about why you bought your car. Is it to fill a passion that you have in your heart? Is it something that you want to use for recognition? At the end of the day you can only look yourself in the mirror and be happy with what you have done. So dig deep and find your vehicle's purpose. Whatever choice you make should keep you content! But when you use your heart....it'll last the longest. That's why I still have my car after driving it for 8 years now. I'm still not bored with it. It's friggen awesome!!! Safe driving peoples!!!!

BimmerWill
04-12-2013, 01:47 AM
^ awesome read Charlie. I think we could all probably stand to read that every once in a while. Though I've not seen it here, locally in my area BMW is just a name to people who want to look good, so they buy one and drive it without ever truly realizing it's potential. Granted this is just my perception of things I still feel its not too far from the truth. Im glad so many of us have been able to come together through this website. Kind of keeps the spirit alive and shows that there are still people who can look at a car and not just see it as status symbol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
04-12-2013, 03:52 AM
I've been driving my friend's M3 manual transmission around for a couple days and even that bump in power is different. Sometimes it's just brutally scary, sometimes you are wondering why it's too slow. I can only drive the M3 so fast in corners where the most fun is to me. My ZHP can do the same speeds in those corners albiet a tad bit slower exit speed. When an M54 engine is placed in the right RPM's it can go like a bat out of a very hot fiery place. :D I came off a corner tonight that warns me to slow to 40-45MPH. At apex the engine was singing near the top of 3rd gear which is probably about 80-85MPH. I assure you not many M3 drivers could even dare try that.

I can drive my car 9 tenths in the rain and when i want I can go 11 tenths and slide my car safetly and have a heck of a time. Driving the M3 at 7 tenths scares me right now...LOL. I really need to get used to it's lighter engine components, throttle response, and extra torque. I think the tires weren't equal to what I'm used to. I'm running dedicated summers and the M3 had Pilot Sport A/S. I can push the rear out at 2,500RPM. My car dreams of being able to do that...haha. I know my next car will have an ///M in it...not sure which one but it excites me and scares me. You won't feel what I feel in this paragraph unless you have dedicated some personal time to really map out the dynamics of a vehicle and learn how to drive your existing car balls out on the track without breaking anything.

Just stop and think about why you bought your car. Is it to fill a passion that you have in your heart? Is it something that you want to use for recognition? At the end of the day you can only look yourself in the mirror and be happy with what you have done. So dig deep and find your vehicle's purpose. Whatever choice you make should keep you content! But when you use your heart....it'll last the longest. That's why I still have my car after driving it for 8 years now. I'm still not bored with it. It's friggen awesome!!! Safe driving peoples!!!!

Trevor,

I guess I can say that I'm very fortunate to have both my ///M and ZHP (not rubbing it in guys/gals). Although I have never tracked either cars, I can say that I enjoy both of them for what they are...I could relate to some of the things you have posted and found what you had to say interesting :thumbsup Whenever I crave for more horsepower and performance over my ZHP, I just take my ///M out for the day ;) To me, there's no better satisfaction than litterally pulling away from some jerk driving in a Civic "R" in a clover leaf when they are riding your butt going in...:)

^ awesome read Charlie. I think we could all probably stand to read that every once in a while. Though I've not seen it here, locally in my area BMW is just a name to people who want to look good, so they buy one and drive it without ever truly realizing it's potential. Granted this is just my perception of things I still feel its not too far from the truth. Im glad so many of us have been able to come together through this website. Kind of keeps the spirit alive and shows that there are still people who can look at a car and not just see it as status symbol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Will,

Sometimes I see this as well but true enthusiasts will have a car because of it's potential, not status. It's funny that you mention this because I can tell right away who is an enthusiast and who is not just by the first few minutes talking to them. I'm not too much into people who are "badge wearers" as I find them phoney....I have always enjoyed company of fellow enthusiasts and find being with them more satisfying. :thumbsup

LivesNearCostco
04-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Talking about cornering limits and higher HP cars.... at many track days they talk about the Miata with a better driver passing the Corvette with the new driver, except the Corvette driver has to lift off the throttle in straights or the Miata has no chance unless you're in the advanced group. Last weekend I started a session behind two modern Camaraos with less experienced drivers (driver of black Camero was on her first track weekend). I caught them in the corners but on every straight they went bye-bye, until they decided to let me pass. Black Camaro lets me pass at 5:20, the red Camaro lets me and the Scion by at 11:02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1D_UEFBtc

It appears my need for speed is not strong enough though. After thinking I was driving 8/10ths, I posted this video on Bimmerforums and one comment was I was dong a fine job driving at 7/10ths. Oh well. This is what happened when I tried to go 11/10ths on the same track (opposite direction) in the rain on my first wet track day. Video shot by the Porsche following me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL48cYzrMHk

I can only drive the M3 so fast in corners where the most fun is to me. My ZHP can do the same speeds in those corners albiet a tad bit slower exit speed. When an M54 engine is placed in the right RPM's it can go like a bat out of a very hot fiery place. :D I came off a corner tonight that warns me to slow to 40-45MPH. At apex the engine was singing near the top of 3rd gear which is probably about 80-85MPH. I assure you not many M3 drivers could even dare try that.

I can drive my car 9 tenths in the rain and when i want I can go 11 tenths and slide my car safetly and have a heck of a time. Driving the M3 at 7 tenths scares me right now...LOL.

derbo
04-12-2013, 07:14 AM

Same goes with some of the M5 owners too ;)

derbo
04-12-2013, 07:19 AM
I've traded my coworker cars for one session at buttonwillow CW13. The S54 paired with the LSD is an amazing thing. One thing I notice is that the ZHP is more fun at this point because you can WOT through corners and not worry too much about the back end slipping. Those same corners in a M3 cause result in a tail slide if you went WOT. I'm not saying it was driving two exact cars where the only variables were the Engine,LSD. I am saying that the extra power does make the pedal a little more finicky and partial throttling never feels as awesome as slamming WOT. But with that said, I would still take the S54 power in a heartbeat. :)

Like Trevor said, M3 owners get mad when our weakling ZHP keeps up with them :)

Torxuvin
04-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I've traded my coworker cars for one session at buttonwillow CW13. The S54 paired with the LSD is an amazing thing. One thing I notice is that the ZHP is more fun at this point because you can WOT through corners and not worry too much about the back end slipping. Those same corners in a M3 cause result in a tail slide if you went WOT. I'm not saying it was driving two exact cars where the only variables were the Engine,LSD. I am saying that the extra power does make the pedal a little more finicky and partial throttling never feels as awesome as slamming WOT. But with that said, I would still take the S54 power in a heartbeat. :)

I've noticed this on the track. For the same reason the power is both more fun and more intimidating on the road. You have to be paying attention when you are driving more. I can toss the zhp around all day long without breaking a sweat. The corvette (or my past m3) takes a little more planning and energy. Power is great though. I'm still planning on adding around 100 whp to the corvette past what it already has.

BTW good tires make a huge huge difference too

Rovert
04-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Like Trevor said, M3 owners get mad when our weakling ZHP keeps up with them :)

It makes them do stupid things too so I've learned to just stay back in my place to protect the M3 driver. :D

I was autocrossing with a Corvette Z06 but for some reason I feel easier driving that thing balls out than my friend's M3. I think because it's lighter and somewhat more predictable torque. At the end of the day I beat all drivers who actually owned a Corvette. LOL. Go figure. My instructor quietly told me the fastest time on that setup is still 4 seconds faster. It put in point that you are never "that good". Hahaha

Sorry OP for threadjacking about more power. :S I woke up thinking what gave I done??? I got overly passionate on that subject.

If you also want more power, please make sure to have just as fast of a suspension. A great case of that is the old Cadillac STS. Lots of power with a boaty suspension that can't keep up.

Turbo for just tons of power that can blow stuff up. Supercharger for a much more predictable and linear feel for cornering.

ranger
04-13-2013, 05:20 AM
I liked the ZHP "as is" - it is a great balance of performance, comfort, and gas mileage. My 2005 ZHP AW 6MT Coupe was the ultimate Atlanta commuter (RIP). If you want more power, it may be best to get another car entirely. I am enjoying my current 360+ HP though!

Dave1027
04-14-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm also in the "as is" camp. If I wasn't I would have bought something else. I think the best course is to dial in and maintain the car so it is at peak performance.

webster
04-15-2013, 07:57 AM
i realize the original discussion is about FI, but just for grins...from the day i bought my car, to now, i've found the following mods/maintenance items to really improve how peppy the car feels:

- Shark Injector
- Sprint Booster
- Vanos job (either Beisan/Dr Vanos)
- Cooling overhaul w/ EMP Stewart Water Pump
- G.A.S. Gold DISA Kit
- Rogue Power Pulleys
- Aftermarket wheels (dropped ~20lbs unsprung weight in the corners)

i won't try to claim i've added xx number of WHP, but the car definitely pulls stronger than when i acquired it.

that said, throwing in an ESS TS2 and an LSD on top of all that wouldn't hurt either :)

terraphantm
04-15-2013, 07:51 PM

Only thing I want to note is that power can be nice to have even off the track. Sheer acceleration is fun, and it's also nice to be able to stay in 6th for passing and whatnot.

Rovert
04-15-2013, 07:53 PM
While you M3 drivers are passing a truck in 6th at 2,500RPM and I have to drop to 3rd and scream 5,000RPM....it's much more fun at 5,000. LOL.

Just joshin' yah Terra. :P

derbo
04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
i realize the original discussion is about FI, but just for grins...from the day i bought my car, to now, i've found the following mods/maintenance items to really improve how peppy the car feels:

- Shark Injector
- Sprint Booster
- G.A.S. Gold DISA Kit
- Rogue Power Pulleys

i won't try to claim i've added xx number of WHP, but the car definitely pulls stronger than when i acquired it.

that said, throwing in an ESS TS2 and an LSD on top of all that wouldn't hurt either :)

The shark and vanos job sounds like something I like to do in the future :)

UdubBadger
04-15-2013, 08:27 PM
While you M3 drivers are passing a truck in 6th at 2,500RPM and I have to drop to 3rd and scream 5,000RPM....it's much more fun at 5,000. LOL.

This!

UdubBadger
04-15-2013, 08:34 PM
I will say I am basically as close to FBO on the ZHP as you can go without FI. The headers made one hell of a difference and so does the ECU tuning. The bump in power might satisfy you but it sounds like you are more like me, once you get a little more, you then want even more than that. an S54 swap would be great, but in the end why spend $10k on a swap when you can spend $6k on 100 more hp out of an S/C? Unless your plan is to go S54 and then turbo/SC that... then you are talking $10k plus another $10k to FI that motor.

What I have learned is either push the ZHP a bit further than stock with tune and some bolt on's, or just scrap it an get an M3/M5 or even 335i as they were built to handle more power. You gotta be happy with the ZHP for what it is or just go another route, which is also ok. I like to take my car to the strip a few times a year and it's hard running 13's in an NA motor. I've been tempted to sell for an N54 powered car many times, still looking into it now actually, but i also hold tight to the fact that when i wind the car up on my ride home from work when traffic allows me to, it still feels just as nice as I remember my 1er being.

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Last few comments comparing cars on track and so forth made me laugh.

Almost ALL of this is driver and comfort. I'll dig up the video of a friend of mine in sub 300 WHP civic hatch chasing down a 700 WHP Ford GT40. Same could be said the other way around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fM5GigFPjU Excuse the video. It's originally a download and someone else posted it on YouTube. Apparently Mr. GT40 was talking all kinds of stuff.

IMO, a competent drive in a faster car, also driving the "slower" car will be faster in the faster car, if that makes sense. But comparing apples to oranges regarding cars, and then again banana's to grapes with drivers will have mixed results.

I've chased down Cobra mustangs, Porsche 911's (996) and Dodge Vipers in a fully track prep'd Integra Type R. Is my car faster/better? Not at all, I had bigger %()#$&% due to my track experience. I proved that very point at CMP a few years ago when a gent in a 911 didn't want to give me the point by. I made sure to get in his mirrors for 3 consecutive laps, but lifting in certain places on track because this was an HPDE after all. That being said, lap 3 of this and I didn't lift at the kink. I followed him probably a foot off of his bumper where I had previously left about 5 feet. Porsche driver then lost focus, paid attention to the mirrors. I watched him go off line and I lifted knowing what was about to happen. I kindly waved as we were face to face (he spun) and I slowly went around him. All that was hurt here was ego.

Point of all this rambling here... You can't compare one car to another as being better/faster or keeping up. Compare the drivers and their confidence in a controlled environment.

Oh, and my ZHP is slow, but that's not what I bought it for. :)

midlandtech
04-18-2013, 08:34 AM
:applause good points... I had a similar experience with a guy in an evo.... except he got a couple laps in him, thought he was a driving god, and quickly totalled his car at then end of the straight. Driver mod is the best mod a person can get for his car.

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I like to refer it as "Seat Time" when asked about the best "track" mods.

There is nothing better than a driver learning to drive their car. I also enjoy HPDE's that have a few sessions in the rain. Learning car control in situations like that pays off several times over.

Funny point/note... I was at VIR previously and was still learning my car and the course. Was just signed off for solo and the very next session it was raining lightly. I was attempting to trail brake into T1 like I had done previously. Lesson learned? Trail braking in the rain does NOT work out so well. I went off and mowed the grass at 100 MPH. Luckily there was enough run off there that I didn't do any damage other than to my own ego.

Rovert
04-18-2013, 10:06 AM
:eyetwitch Hahaha....you can trail brake...just can't do it as hard. Just enough to get a tad of traction to the front but not enough to lift the rear! :roundel

Cliff notes: Once you're at Dave's level...then mod for power. Your car will always be the fastest it can be with or without mods!

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 10:50 AM
LOL@Dave's level. Not at all, I have TONS more to learn. But $ is much better spent on seat time, than mods to lower your lap times.

Also, I was in a FWD Honda doing this, so your mileage may vary on the trail braking on these fine RWD mobiles. I'll get a little feel for that on Sunday.

Rovert
04-18-2013, 11:02 AM
As we get more seat time we learn how much more we have to learn. My instructors constantly teach me new techniques or to refresh my techniques that I have been lazy with. :D

FWD Honda + trail braking = shifting more weight to a front heavy vehicle. LOL. You will have a much more balanced experience in your E46, trail braking. You'll know how much you can go before the electronic CBC kicks in to keep the vehicle stable...you'll feel the rear push out just a tad as the system brakes the outside front tire harder to keep the rear in check. You can't turn this part off just like ABS, even when you long press the DSC button.

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I absolutely LOVE getting an instructor in my car even if I've driven that track X many times. There's always more to learn, different lines for folks, later braking and so on. It's well worth doing if there's one around willing to jump in for a session.

Thanks for the trail braking tip on this car. I'll def. be a slow newb out there for a bit. This is after all only the 3rd RWD drive I've owned out of oh... around 18 cars I've owned total. Yeah, ex-Honda junkie here. :P

Rovert
04-18-2013, 01:28 PM
xHonda? Honda's are fun! They are great cars to learn on and not enough power to get into real trouble until you crash. The BMW has enough power to get most into bigger trouble but when you crash you should be OK. LOL

My instructor used a magazine to block where I don't need to look when cornering. That was uncomfortable but that training has paid off when in emergency maneuvers on public streets.

danewilson77
04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
........... just wondering what other zhp guys do for extra power?

Stickers.

Lots of stickers :shifty

UdubBadger
04-18-2013, 02:10 PM
:word

terraphantm
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Just because I can pass in 6th doesn't mean I have to - I can drop a couple gears and double my speed by the time one of you guys are done passing ;)

8000 RPM is a lot more fun than 6800 ;)

derbo
04-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Last few comments comparing cars on track and so forth made me laugh.

Almost ALL of this is driver and comfort. I'll dig up the video of a friend of mine in sub 300 WHP civic hatch chasing down a 700 WHP Ford GT40. Same could be said the other way around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fM5GigFPjU Excuse the video. It's originally a download and someone else posted it on YouTube. Apparently Mr. GT40 was talking all kinds of stuff.

IMO, a competent drive in a faster car, also driving the "slower" car will be faster in the faster car, if that makes sense. But comparing apples to oranges regarding cars, and then again banana's to grapes with drivers will have mixed results.

I've chased down Cobra mustangs, Porsche 911's (996) and Dodge Vipers in a fully track prep'd Integra Type R. Is my car faster/better? Not at all, I had bigger %()#$&% due to my track experience. I proved that very point at CMP a few years ago when a gent in a 911 didn't want to give me the point by. I made sure to get in his mirrors for 3 consecutive laps, but lifting in certain places on track because this was an HPDE after all. That being said, lap 3 of this and I didn't lift at the kink. I followed him probably a foot off of his bumper where I had previously left about 5 feet. Porsche driver then lost focus, paid attention to the mirrors. I watched him go off line and I lifted knowing what was about to happen. I kindly waved as we were face to face (he spun) and I slowly went around him. All that was hurt here was ego.

Point of all this rambling here... You can't compare one car to another as being better/faster or keeping up. Compare the drivers and their confidence in a controlled environment.

Oh, and my ZHP is slow, but that's not what I bought it for. :)

I agree seat time makes the most jollies out of everything else. IMO the ZHP doesnt need more adders for HP besides exhaust (for noise to hear with your helmet on) and thats about it. LOL.

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 04:35 PM
xHonda? Honda's are fun! They are great cars to learn on and not enough power to get into real trouble until you crash. The BMW has enough power to get most into bigger trouble but when you crash you should be OK. LOL

I had 4 not so special ones. :P Every year/Color of the coveted Integra Type R to be exact. What a hoot that car was. Still miss them to this day.

Rovert
04-18-2013, 06:39 PM
I remember r@c!ng a type r with my dad's 540 up a hill. The start he won. So light and powerful. Then i slowly caught up. Never saw what a V8 would do to it at high-speed because it was a 30mph street. Haha

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
It's def. not a great drag car, but shines admirably when on a road course. It's been widely reported that Honda had their F1 R&D department on board when designing the car and it def. shows over the closest model the GS-R.

Hermes
04-18-2013, 08:10 PM

just imagine the adaptations vs M54 I have to keep in my mind when I drive my buddies 3.8L Euro spec S38...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/S38B38/C095967F-867C-4D50-90B5-FDE2C7A38112-16018-000015F14243DC2E.jpg

prowlerflyer
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
To revisit the OP, it really boils down to, what do you want the power for, and what do you want to afford?

- An M3 or S54 converted ZHP is a great track combination, plus a lighter and lower CG than an FI addition. M54 coversions run $5-6k I think, done properly.

- The ESS TS setup is a torque monster and perfect for the street. It has soooo much more torque than the standard M54B30, I find myself most of the time between 1k-3.5k rpm for normal driving, with only about 10-20% throttle open. Even then, I am out accelerating most all people. Although this setup will run out all the way to redline, it feels flat above 5500 rpm, when and S54 is on fire. I don't have any comparison with a centrifugal s/c like the AA one (which are cheaper). TS2 is going to run you around $7k, and then you have to do the installation. It is factory smooth, reliable, and mpg is ok (I get around 25mpg in mixed driving).

I feel a ZHP TS2 is what should have come from BMW for a street performance machine. The M3 is the track machine that it is and that is the way it should be.
Both of the above options will highlight the lack of a LSD. Its not necessary on the street, but would be nice.

Now if I could find a better way to spend my time in the ZHP other than going to and from the airport...

WOLFN8TR
05-02-2013, 02:47 PM

- Shark Injector
- Sprint Booster
- G.A.S. Gold DISA Kit
- Rogue Power Pulleys

X2...

So far I've done:

-Sprint Booster- Makes the car feel faster, more responsive although in reality it's not.
-Vanos- Car runs better overall since rebuilding the vanos.
-G.A.S.- Idles better and seems to accelerate better.

WES what rims are those? Size? Love the look!

UdubBadger
05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Why do you guys run sprit boosters but not software? Software (good software at least) corrects everything a sprint booster does plus adds power to the engine output.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
05-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Why do you guys run sprit boosters but not software? Software (good software at least) corrects everything a sprint booster does plus adds power to the engine output.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Most likely because it relies on no one, is plug and play, and is more cost effective.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

UdubBadger
05-03-2013, 06:11 PM
...more cost effective.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/

$299 for forum members

:dunno

danewilson77
05-03-2013, 06:24 PM

$299 for forum members

Good point. I thought EC was more than that.

Seth, how good is the tune with just an AFE? No upgraded headers/exhaust, etc...

UdubBadger
05-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Ask Kokesh, he's running it with just an intake and I can't wipe the stupid grin off of his face.

Avetiso
05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Woah, 299 for forum members? If I get another ZHP, I'll be there.

Torxuvin
05-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Good price for a tune

UdubBadger
05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
price hasn't changed since day 1 guys, where u been?

Johal E32
05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
$299 for any E46, or just the 330 ZHP? If it is for all E46's, then I will strongly considering a Euro Charge tune for my 323i.

Avetiso
05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
$299 for any E46, or just the 330 ZHP? If so, I am strongly considering a Euro Charge tune for my 323i.
If I understand correctly, eurocharged is ZHP only. Right?

danewilson77
05-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Lol.... No.

Pip
05-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I love my eurocharged tune with afe. However I put the afe on after the fact. I still need to have it retuned for the intake.

I'm not sure about manual, but it made a big difference in my love of the car since I own a step.

WOLFN8TR
05-03-2013, 09:48 PM

$299 for forum members

Most of us bought our Sprint Boosters off eBay for $100-$175. I personnaly wouldn't of paid $300 for it I would of went with a Euro tune for the money.

Good price on Euro tuning

Avetiso
05-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Lol.... No.

Hm, my mistake. I only found a ZHP tune on their website.

UdubBadger
05-04-2013, 05:13 AM

We tune anything euro with obdII port.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-04-2013, 05:15 AM
$299 for any E46, or just the 330 ZHP? If it is for all E46's, then I will strongly considering a Euro Charge tune for my 323i.

Any non M e46 yes.

With other models the pricing might vary so if anyone is inclined just contact me for a quote. We will still try to help out mafia members on anything they need.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-04-2013, 05:17 AM
I love my eurocharged tune with afe. However I put the afe on after the fact. I still need to have it retuned for the intake.

I'm not sure about manual, but it made a big difference in my love of the car since I own a step.

Easy tweaks my friend just call to stop into daly city and they'll update it.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Pip
05-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Easy tweaks my friend just call to stop into daly city and they'll update it.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Yea had an appt, but had to cancel for family. I should be up to date by June.

jgt_zhp
05-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Well, having read this thread, and the entire "Eurocharged" thread, I'm already a couple hours invested in this tuning process. I'll probably drop you a PM, Seth. Interested in doing the tune, and I like the idea that Eurocharged can be tailored to the car. Not being close to a dealer, I'm interested in the DIY concept, and how involved it is. Also, cost of doing it this way, compared to Shark.

danewilson77
05-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Hm, my mistake. I only found a ZHP tune on their website.

If you go to products, I see 12 different car manufacturers.

If you click on BMW I see 1, 3, 5, ///M, and X.

http://www.eurocharged.com/

WOLFN8TR
05-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Seth do you guys offer remote tuning with something such as this Autocal? It's a OBDII flash pack with tuning installed. I have EFI LIVE on my Duramax which seems to be pretty much the same as Eurocharged. I'm really interested in some tuning for the ZHP.

http://duramaxtuner.com/

danewilson77
05-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Seth do you guys offer remote tuning with something such as this Autocal? It's a OBDII flash pack with tuning installed. I have EFI LIVE on my Duramax which seems to be pretty much the same as Eurocharged. I'm really interested in some tuning for the ZHP.

http://duramaxtuner.com/

Wolfy, does this help?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6248-Eurocharged-Performance-Tuning-Thread

jgt_zhp
05-04-2013, 11:45 AM

This is how I was looking at doing it, too. As Dane pointed out, they have the "My Genius" OBDII flash device shown in their thread. I've got a PM in to Seth, wanting to get a total price for the DIY setup. If it's remotely competitive with the Shark Injector, I'd sure be inclined to go Eurocharged.

WOLFN8TR
05-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Wolfy, does this help?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6248-Eurocharged-Performance-Tuning-Thread

Yes, Thanks!

This is how I was looking at doing it, too. As Dane pointed out, they have the "My Genius" OBDII flash device shown in their thread. I've got a PM in to Seth, wanting to get a total price for the DIY setup. If it's remotely competitive with the Shark Injector, I'd sure be inclined to go Eurocharged.

Coo, thats what I figured "My Genius" was. Pretty much the same as the Autocal above then.

cakM3
05-04-2013, 06:58 PM

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Seth,

What would you consider good software?

For my ZHP I did the following to improve on performance:
- Shark Injector
- installed the Besian Vanos kit w/ anti-rattle kit
- overhauled my cooling system
- replaced DISA
- Sprint Booster/Sport Button mod

I can say that after installing my sprint booster even with everything else I have done to my ZHP, the car felt much more responsive depending on which mode I had selected. What I liked about sprint booster is that I can select between stock, sport, or aggressive settings. I don't think with "software" you would have on the fly selection between the settings offered by sprint booster...

UdubBadger
05-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Seth,

What would you consider good software?

For my ZHP I did the following to improve on performance:
- Shark Injector
- installed the Besian Vanos kit w/ anti-rattle kit
- overhauled my cooling system
- replaced DISA
- Sprint Booster/Sport Button mod

I can say that after installing my sprint booster even with everything else I have done to my ZHP, the car felt much more responsive depending on which mode I had selected. What I liked about sprint booster is that I can select between stock, sport, or aggressive settings. I don't think with "software" you would have on the fly selection between the settings offered by sprint booster...

Wasn't knocking anyone specifically Charlie, just saying if you get a quality product it'll address both the power and throttle response. Not sure to what level it is addressed in the canned tunes but I know companies like AA, ESS and some smaller localized tuners (and of course EC) all know how to do it in the tuning to it's fullest extent.

derbo
05-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Seth. I will have to get a euro tune sometime in the next few months. Once I get the BMW squared away with other minor things. Does the car need to be there or can I just bring a DME to daly city lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

UdubBadger
05-05-2013, 10:53 AM
You can bring the DME in or do it via OBDII port. :)

LivesNearCostco
05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I am not sure if the Shark Injector or other DME tunes can change throttle response the same way as the Sprint Booster. If the DME remap can completely control how the DME processes throttle position then yes. If the DME remap can't--or that particular tuner didn't remap throttle response--then a Sprint Booster will still change the driving experience even if you also have a tune.

Also Sprint Booster is easy to move from car to car. E46 tunes generally cannot be moved from car to car or resold.

cakM3
05-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Wasn't knocking anyone specifically Charlie, just saying if you get a quality product it'll address both the power and throttle response. Not sure to what level it is addressed in the canned tunes but I know companies like AA, ESS and some smaller localized tuners (and of course EC) all know how to do it in the tuning to it's fullest extent.

Didn't take it that way....just trying to get more information for my ZHP....since I already "sharked" my ZHP I would be less inclined to get another tune unless I can see comparisons between the shark and other software. That's where I'm coming from... wasn't really thinking too much when I got my shark injector...heard it was good so I went for it. :thumbsup :)

UdubBadger
05-05-2013, 03:33 PM
And it is a very good tune, maybe one of the best out there. The only real downfall I see with it is the fact it's a canned tune and each one is the same when each one of our cars is likely modded very differently.

johnrando
05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I said this somewhere else just recently, but I don't know where. When I got my AA tune, it did not address throttle response. Maybe they added that in now, but adding the SB was a no-brainer for me (after I realized what a difference it made). Sure if I could have gotten it all in 1 tune I would have done that. BUT, the SB outside the tune ended up being good as now I can dial in what I want, including turning it off, which is really key when my wife drives the car.