PDA

View Full Version : What tires are you currently rolling on?

danewilson77
04-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Just wanted to get a spread on what everyone is rolling on.

If you don't see your tire in the voting list.....just make a comment about them (or not).

If you liked a tire, feel free to pose a short writeup or rating (or not)

If you didn't like a tire, feel free to pose a short writeup or rating (or not)

@ the very least....just vote. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently on Continental Extreme Contact DWS's (Square 245/40/18 setup) and like them thus far.

JupiterBMW
04-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Yokohama S-Drives

Great tire, plenty sticky, great treadwear, and the price is cheap enough to make them really attractive, even when compared to other better tires...

BavarianZHP
04-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Bridgestone Potenza RE030 (summer, high performance tire):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE030

225/255 stock setup

They have great grip, but tramline like crazy. I would rate them 3/5... Wouldn't buy them again from my experience, unless you're trying to constantly improve your reaction time (through sudden minor steering adjustments).

Crickett
04-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Conti DWSs in stock, staggered sizes (225 / 255) here.

Picked them based on the great consumer rating on Tire Rack, their long (reported) treadwear, & relatively high performance (given that they're all-seasons). I will be buying another set of these in square 245/40ZR18 (on square 18x8" M135s) next. I'll likely keep with these year-round until I have a need for dedicated summer / winter sets (aka no longer living in the desert southwest!).

JupiterBMW
04-20-2013, 12:06 PM
I can't wait to see how long it takes before the Michelin and Continental bars surpass all others... :rofl

M0nk3y
04-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Currently running on Toyo T1Rs.

Decent tire for DD. Now they have limited sizes and pretty sure they are discontinued. Tires were brand new when I got the car, and after about 10k miles they are getting near replacement (Most likely have around 5-10k more miles until wear bars). The tires really like to tramline and are noisy at higher speeds. For a high performance tire I wasn't too impressed.

Track/Autocross Tires are Hankook RS3s

For DDing I wouldn't recommend these at all. They are noisy, tramline everywhere on the street and wear fairly quick. In the rain the tires are almost useless, as you have 0 grip available. In addition anything under 60F ambient you're going to have trouble finding traction.

wsmeyer
04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Excellent in every way.

johnnyrad
04-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Falken Fk452. Have no complaints. They look good, are grippy and don't cost a lot at all.

nike001
04-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Front half Hankook, rears are Michelin.

Hankook V12's are awful. I have way more than half tread on the fronts and they have very little grip leftover. Understeer city the other day. Last night though, they were tram-lining everywhere.. I don't know what it was but it was a handful on the highway for whatever reason..

I had Pirelli P Zero Nero summer tires as my first set and they were amazing. I cannot express how amazing I thought they were.

alexandre
04-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Maxxis MA-V1's. PO put them on the car 5k before I bought it.

They seem more popular in the UK or AU. Super silent and good grip in the rain.

Thread wear seems to be average - the rears are at 60%, and fronts at 80%. 10k miles.

BCS_ZHP
04-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Conti DWS on X5 & 540iT
Michelin PS A/S on '06 ZHP
Kumho on Preston's '04 ZHP
BFGOODRICH on GiGi's '04 ZHP

All will eventually have DWSs when replacement is required, it wins hands down when doing a cost-benefit/performance-longevity comparison, IMHO.

EDIT: Poll only lets me vote once, listed the Contis, won't allow me to capture the various tires on the ZHPs.

Washburn
04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Conti DWS - UHP AS - staggered 225/255 stock sizes.
VERY good all-round tire; great balance of comfort and moderate 'spirited' driving. Very nice and safe in wet weather; very good stopping performance, too.
No experience in snow/light snow yet.
Soft(er) side wall than dedicated summers, and one can feel it at times, but i knew it, and it doesn't bother me. well suited for my driving.
Bought based on Tire rack tests, not only user ratings. (got a free GPS too)
Looks are also killer :) - will buy again without hesitation.

side note: has a huge tendency to pick up gravel and crap.

overall I'd give them 8/10

kayger12
04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Love the Khumo Ecsta 4x. Will certainly go with them again if they continue to perform this well.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

Avetiso
04-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Team Michelin, come in, team Michelin. We need support.

quikryptonite
04-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Bridgestone RE760 - Ultra High Performance Summer
225 in front and 255 in back. I have loved having these tires on. Very good wet and dry traction. I've noticed good tread wear and they aren't too expensive. This is probably the last summer of their lifespan and I'll probably put another set on. Unless I can be persuaded to try something else. I'm definitely interested in this thread.

ELCID86
04-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Just replaced what may have been the the oldest tires I have seen on the front of my "new" '04 car (4403). They were loud and hard and cracking (as you can imagine). Now have Kumho Ecsta 4X on the front and Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear. Can I take the survey x2??

Avetiso
04-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Pics? I wanna see how they looked compared to mine. I have excessive road noise and want to know if that is the issue.

BCS_ZHP
04-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Avetiso,
Shawn came by because he had a weird front end noise. We swapped on a set of fronts that I had, he went for a quick ride and said the noise was gone. I looked at his tires when he was test driving, deep dry rot cracks plus the 4403 code means they were produced in the 44th week of 2003, likely original tires delivered with that car -- nearly ten year old tires.

danewilson77
04-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow.

CERF04ZHP
04-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Summer: General Grabber UHP (factory size)
I know, they are basically the tire you get when you want something round and black for the least money possible. But guess what? They have been parked in their respective corners for 50 (fifty!) thousand miles, and up until a flat I had on the RR tire in October, which prompted me to put my winters on prematurely, had been completely trouble free. And in my opinion, a good bang for the buck. Better than decent grip, great in the rain (maybe not so great in the last 15k or so) and they wore like iron. Towards the end of their life, the fronts started to get chopped up a bit and got noisy, but other than that, I really have no complaints. Based on my research I am replacing with Bridgestone Potenza RE760's. Pretty solid tire for a great price.

Winter: General Altimax Arctic 225/45r17 (not studded) on Style 44's. For a RWD car in the snow, I am virtually unstoppable. Next to a studded snow, they're about as aggressive as you can get. These are killer in Maine winters. Never been stuck. I may be a little challenged to get up to speed compared to an AWD car, but once rolling, I can steer, maneuver and stop better than anyone. Drawback is that they are like warm marshmallows on dry pavement. Slop city. Next time around, I will be getting an H or V rated snow (Pilot Alpin or Blizzak) and give up a bit of snow traction for better feel on the pavement.

And that's my rubber ramble.

via EVO.LTE

Hermes
04-20-2013, 07:00 PM
E46 - Michelin Pilot Super Sport
E21 - Kumho Solus KR21
2002 - Dunlop Direzza DZ101

NorCalZman
04-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Kumho Ecstas LE sports. Previous owner slapped them on right before he sold the car to me. I know they are high performance summer tires but I wish he would've saved the money and let me pick the tires myself. I had Kuhmos on a few previous cars, also from previous owners, and really disliked everything about them. Every time i got a different brand tire the difference was night and day (Dunlop and Continental). this time I will be getting the best of the best after this, Michelins.

In my previous experience, it seems to me Kumhos are what owners buy to put on the cars right before they sell them because they're cheap.

Hornung418
04-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Khumo Ecsta 4x.

jgt_zhp
04-21-2013, 07:27 AM
ZHP - Got about, oh, 10 or 12 miles now on a set of the new Kumho Ventus S1 nobile 2's. Not enough to have an opinion yet.

325i - Have a set of Kumho Exsta 4x's on Beyern 17" mesh wheels. Been very happy with them so far, in a mix of weather conditions, since spring has been cancelled this year.

Jon D
04-21-2013, 07:35 AM

I agree for the ZHP

FWIW running Conti DSWs on the Audi. They are very nice tires for an all weather AWD application but not nearly as responsive as the Super Sports.

Johal E32
04-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the E39 M5 and on the touring.

I love them both, good tread wear as well. Dry handling is good, wet handling is also good. I don't push my cars very hard so these Michelins are perfect for me. If I did, then I would probably get some Michelin PSS.

az3579
04-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Running Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 tires in OEM fitment. 225/40-R18 front and 255/35R-18 rear.

Short version: on the street they are great. Very good dry and wet grip. On the autocross course, they are lacking. They have a much lower limit of grip than my Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 dedicated autocross set. On the track, they trail quite a bit behind the Hankook RS3's my fellow ZHP owner has on. The limit of grip can easily be exceeded on some corners, though this limit is pretty gradual and predictable.

Overall, as a street tire, it's excellent. For autocross and the track, however, I'd use something better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

HokieZHP
04-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Love them! Best tire I've ever used

johnrando
04-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Going to switch to Michelin Pilot SS so I'll just vote them now.

cakM3
04-21-2013, 01:44 PM

+1 Agree :thumbsup

mLuMaN83
04-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Federal ss-595's. I am really liking them for my daily driving. Sporty, quiet, smooth, and grippy.

derbo
04-22-2013, 06:51 AM
ZHP Rims: Michelin Pilot Sports
APEX ARC8 : Dunlop Z1 Star Specs
Enkei RPF1 : Bridgestone RE11

Personally hate the road noise on the Pilot sports after tread depletes past 50%. The V grooves are annoying and I hope the PSS are nothing like this!

Star specs are great price for the amount of grip you get! Treadwear is a bit on the low side but it was never my concern.

RE11 is the best tire I've tried so far. Plenty of grip and decent wet traction for an extreme summer performance tire.

I love to try the Continental DW once the pilot sports are dead :D

brettbimmer
04-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (no-seasons), as treadwear seems to be rated well, along with overall handling. I'm coming from Yokohama S. Drives which were very loud near the end of their life (sorry Jon). Prior to that was OEM Bridgestones. Came down to these Michelin tires or Continental DWS, except I was concerned with comments on the softer sidewall for cornering stability, so I ponied-up for the MPS A/S's.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

fredo
04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S two years ago. They are great !

brettbimmer
04-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Oops. Bosses, can someone please rotate the image above?

Thanks fredo! Great news.

ICTZHP
04-26-2013, 09:21 AM
I got a deal through the Performance Center for $80 back with the purchase of 4 tires from Continental, never had Conti's before that, but decided to give them a try. We went with the DWS on the ZHP, then put them on my X5, and then my son put them on his e46 325. We have all been very happy with the tires.

jsfbmw
04-26-2013, 09:44 AM

running the same, and got rebate as well.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Dave1027
04-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Good thread.

My zhp has the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports on it in the stock setup.

I like a more civilized ride so I'm not liking the Bridstones very much. They are OK on smooth roads but if the surface is rough the road noise is deafening. They also tend to tramline a bit too much. They are kind of on the hard side so they don't absorb bumps very well.

The upside is they stick to the road like glue. Handling is awesome for a truly slot car type experience.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_potenza_re760_spt_ci2_l.jpg

deuce08s
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
My ZHP currently has MSS in the back and I actually don't remember up front, but they need replacing due to the FCAB needing replacing. I don't have much experience driving in nice weather since I started driving the car late last year and had to throw the Blizzaks on for winter. AND, since it's MN I still don't have the summers back on. Long story longer, they seem like great tires. Me, personally, have never wanted to pay Michelin prices, so I've always bought Bridgestones.

I had a TSX with RE050A Pole Positions that I got about 40k miles out of and had great handling characteristics, though it tramlined a little bit as well, but not always, only on the worst roads. I thought it was quiet, too.

My S2000 currently has RE050s and I think there is a better tire for that car. They are stock, but they seem to understeer unless I try to bring the rear around on purpose.

I had S-03 Pole Positions on a Prelude and loved them. I'm thinking of getting the S-04 PP on the Honda and maybe trying RE-11s on the ZHP. Or maybe the other way around. Not sure yet. The ZHP only needs fronts right now, and I think the S needs backs.

echo46
04-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Kumhos on the ZHP and Nexus (came with the car) on the e36 M3.

terraphantm
04-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Michelin. Pilot SuperSport ftw

danewilson77
04-28-2013, 06:03 AM
Michelin. Pilot SuperSport ftw

+1

Someday I may try a set.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

az3579
04-29-2013, 05:40 AM
+1

Someday I may try a set.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

Might want to buy two sets then...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Vas
10-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Installed a complete set (4 tires ) that are Conti Extreme Contact DW. They replaced the Conti DWS.

ELCID86
10-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Mich Pilot Super Sports on mine and Colin has Kumho Ecsta 4X.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

TheFinanceGuy
10-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Installed a complete set (4 tires ) that are Conti Extreme Contact DW. They replaced the Conti DWS.

I just installed DWS's on all fours 1 month ago.

OtterEffect
10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Bridgestone Potenza S04's up front
Pirelli P Zero Nero's out back

Mike V
10-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Hankook V12 Evos on the DD M3.

Hankook R-S3 (version 2) on the M Coupe. The version 2's rain handling is immensely improved over the original R-S3. I avoid driving this car in the rain as much as possible, but unfortunately I got stuck in a hard rain on the way back from Minneapolis a few weeks ago. They are absolute beasts at the autox. This car doesn't get driven often, so the low treadwear isn't a concern. I imagine getting 10k out of these tires would be a lot haha.

I was a long time Kumho fan but I'm not a fan of the asymmetric design of the XS, and they squeal like a pig. Extreme performance my butt. I switched to Hankooks a couple years ago.

Michelin Pilots are good tires. However, I bought a car once that had the old PS2 on it and IMO they are not worth the premium over the V12s. I haven't tried the PSS, so my opinion on that could change.

I don't use all-seasons. I didn't buy a BMW to cripple its great handling with ok tires. For the street, the max performance summer tire category work great for me and for the winter, I like a 'performance' winter tire. I currently use Continental 3Ds. When those wear out, I'll likely go with the new 4Ds.

UdubBadger
10-11-2014, 08:40 AM

I haz deeze. I like deeze.

However I'll probably grab some RE-11s next year for tracking.

Bird-Dog
10-21-2014, 08:08 PM
I put a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positions on my ZHP vert a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. They are an outstanding all-season performance tire for DD.

This is the best tire in the wet of ANY I've ever run on any car. Dry performance is excellent too... turn-in, grip, communication, etc... Not sure about wear yet.

But, my number one priority was rain, being in an area that gets plenty of it, and I don't think there's a better pick out there.

Reviews indicate it's weak spot is snow, but we get very little of it here in Atlanta, so no problem.

It also doesn't hurt that I have a Tires Plus store nearby. That is Bridgestone's own corporate retail arm. With some special discounts I got out the door for under $600 for a set of 4 mounted (225/40R18 XL fronts & 255/35R18 XL rears, of course).

1610316103161031610316103 Five spinning props from me!