PDA

View Full Version : Depo LED Tails Install

deuce08s
04-20-2013, 05:54 PM
So I am finally getting around to installing my LED RCR tails from Khoalty and I got the first corner in and come to realize that the interior cover with the trunk light is now useless as it can't attach to the new light.

Is this how it is supposed to be? You install these lights and now you just have wires hanging out there?

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

danewilson77
04-20-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't remember that when I had them.

Newjack
04-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't know about depo brand, but eagle eye brand has a new backing piece. The OEM version backing piece shouldn't work with the aftermarket LEDs. Will update with a picture in a moment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

BimmerWill
04-20-2013, 08:43 PM
^ what he said. It may be different with depo but that's how my Eagle Eyes are as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

deuce08s
04-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Yeah, the DEPOs don't allow for the interior piece to be reused, which is why when they say on Khoalty's website that the trunk light is included, that means that they have a bulb on the back that gives light in to the trunk. However, everything is open back there. Really looks unfinished, and is kind of a let-down on the whole purchase. Though, from the rear, it looks nice. Another thing I noticed is that there is a delay with the lights coming on when the pedal is pushed. Clearly, the center stop light illuminates first, then the tails....another let-down I guess since I figured with LED technology they would all illuminate at once, unlike with the stock halogens.

I'm picky like that, I guess, and I'm not sure I'd recommend this product anymore. We'll see how they hold up over time.

Newjack
04-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Sorry for the delay I got distracted. Here is what the back of my eagle eye led tails look like.

az3579
04-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah, the DEPOs don't allow for the interior piece to be reused, which is why when they say on Khoalty's website that the trunk light is included, that means that they have a bulb on the back that gives light in to the trunk. However, everything is open back there. Really looks unfinished, and is kind of a let-down on the whole purchase. Though, from the rear, it looks nice. Another thing I noticed is that there is a delay with the lights coming on when the pedal is pushed. Clearly, the center stop light illuminates first, then the tails....another let-down I guess since I figured with LED technology they would all illuminate at once, unlike with the stock halogens.

I'm picky like that, I guess, and I'm not sure I'd recommend this product anymore. We'll see how they hold up over time.

The delayed lighting is the reason I stopped using them. It was bugging my OCD far too much.

Rob,
Your setup is entirely different than the Depo RCR setup. The Depos don't have a cover there so all you see is the mess of wires. There is also a delay between the time the third brake light comes on and the tail lights. Overall it's a much lower quality product than the Eagle Eyes.

If EE made an RCR style then I would have bought those instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Newjack
04-21-2013, 10:35 AM
The delayed lighting is the reason I stopped using them. It was bugging my OCD far too much.

Rob,
Your setup is entirely different than the Depo RCR setup. The Depos don't have a cover there so all you see is the mess of wires. There is also a delay between the time the third brake light comes on and the tail lights. Overall it's a much lower quality product than the Eagle Eyes.

Yeah that's what OP was saying about the DEPO brand. I was simply showing what the EE looked like installed for documentation purposes.

deuce08s
04-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Rob,

All of this is very true. However, from the outside, the lights look fantastic! The LEDs are bright, and uniform, and I couldn't be happier with the trunk door shut! But it's knowing what is on the inside that sucks.....sadly, I can't return them, as they have a "can't return when used" policy. So, a $200 lesson, I guess. functionally, aside from the delay, I like it. But, it's aftermarket, I guess.....

I just didn't read really good things about EE brand, so this is why I did Depo. Oh well. Guess they'll work for now.

alexandre
04-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't think EE does RCR so you're good either way. Thanks for the feedback. Pics ? :)

cakM3
04-22-2013, 08:47 AM
I have been using Eagle Eyes and haven't had any issues. My first was on my '99 323i, which is still running on them today. That was over 5 years ago now and the current owner has no issues using them.

I've been on Eagle Eyes on my ZHP a year now w/o any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sockethead
04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
My EE have been on my car for about 4 years... The drivers side turn signal has about 3 or 4 dead LEDs in it. Other than that, no other issues

az3579
04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
All of this is very true. However, from the outside, the lights look fantastic! The LEDs are bright, and uniform, and I couldn't be happier with the trunk door shut! But it's knowing what is on the inside that sucks.....sadly, I can't return them, as they have a "can't return when used" policy. So, a $200 lesson, I guess. functionally, aside from the delay, I like it. But, it's aftermarket, I guess.....

I just didn't read really good things about EE brand, so this is why I did Depo. Oh well. Guess they'll work for now.

It brothers me though that the bottom row and trunk lights don't have enough "polish" to them, as in the LEDs are in straight rows and don't follow the lines of the lights. The brake light portions are perfect in a sense that the LEDs follow the contour of the light, but nothing else does. This, and that the turn signals aren't LED. That was a bad design choice.

BimmerWill
04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
EE's on my car for close to three years, no issues whatsoever (knock on wood)

In for pics :D

Newjack
04-22-2013, 04:27 PM
EE's on my car for close to three years, no issues whatsoever (knock on wood)

In for pics :D

My eagle eye tails have a row of dead LEDs and one is cracked. Buying another pair soon.

deuce08s
04-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Here is a pic.....not the best, but it gives an idea. I wanted rcr LEDs and this seemed to be the best option.

deuce08s
04-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Parking lights on.....

deuce08s
05-02-2013, 04:29 PM

So excited to see I have an led out already!!! And the wire that goes into that spot will take out the whole panel if wiggled properly!

danewilson77
05-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Ugh. Where did you purchase?

Tnhl1989
05-02-2013, 04:57 PM
I believe he said khoalty on the first post.

Newjack
05-02-2013, 06:48 PM

So excited to see I have an led out already!!! And the wire that goes into that spot will take out the whole panel if wiggled properly!

I know how you feel man I just put in my second left eagle eye tail in today. Fingers crossed.

Yours should most definitely be under warranty. If you purchased through khoalty just shoot them an email I'm sure they will work something out with you.

deuce08s
05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
That's what I did. I sent them an email this morning. They've only been installed for a few weeks.....disappointing. I wish I liked the EE version, but I like the RCR. I suppose I can go back to halogen setup so that my trunk can be finished again! ugh.

The weird thing, too, is that the main wire that goes into the assembly for that board of LEDs is so touchy, too, that I can get the whole panel to go out on me by just touching the wire. I'm wondering if there is a bad solder.....still doesn't explain the one LED out.

I'll keep ya'll updated when I hear from Khoalty.

Newjack
05-03-2013, 02:52 PM
That's what I did. I sent them an email this morning. They've only been installed for a few weeks.....disappointing. I wish I liked the EE version, but I like the RCR. I suppose I can go back to halogen setup so that my trunk can be finished again! ugh.

The weird thing, too, is that the main wire that goes into the assembly for that board of LEDs is so touchy, too, that I can get the whole panel to go out on me by just touching the wire. I'm wondering if there is a bad solder.....still doesn't explain the one LED out.

I'll keep ya'll updated when I hear from Khoalty.

Yes please keep us updated. I shop with khoalty very frequently and I'm curious to see how they handle this.

deuce08s
05-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Khoalty got back to me asking for pictures and a serial number. I sent them a video and the serial number 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a lick. I've emailed them since as well and have not heard from them.

Yesterday I installed new LEDautomotive amber turn signals which were replacements for faulty bulbs the first time I got them, and one of them still doesn't work. They offered to pay me for shipping them back, but they will never refund your money. Seems kinda like poor business operation, but I'm stuck with it now as the guy tells me it will be as long as it takes for me to get a working bulb. Fail in my book. Anyway, while I was testing the hazards to see if the bulbs worked then all of a sudden my faulty brake light started to operate. Seemed to be linked to the turn signal bulb.....I have no clue but if Khoalty doesn't get back to me soon I don't know what I'll do.

As of now I do not recommend LED bulbs from LEDautomotive. Not only do they grind off one of the pins on the base to make it more "universal" but the quality just isn't there for the price you have to pay. And they won't refund you if they don't work. They just keep taking your time up.

Very frustrating.

Torxuvin
05-22-2013, 07:50 AM
No backing plate. We got BP's old Depo RCR LED set installed on my car over the weekend. I'm super happy with them. I just put led bulbs in the turn signal housing. The delay doesn't bother me one bit. I am going to make my own backing plate this weekend though. I'll put up some pics after I'm done.

spoonerDee
07-02-2013, 04:57 AM
I've seen other people use double sided tape to adhere the OEM backers to these tail lights. I had initially considered these tails awhile back, but didn't want the headache of dealing with retrofitting backers on.

As for those using LED's for turns, I advise against it. I found some awhile back that were super bright, but even in daylight with the sun on them, they could not be seen. I swapped em out for regular amber bulbs. People love to honk at BMW drivers for "No Signals" yet ignore everyone else. Hate that :rofl

deuce08s
07-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Khoalty is handling this very poorly. I posted a plea to them on another post on here that I can't seem to find begging them to get back to me since they seem to reply here faster than when you email them. It's been weeks since I"ve heard from them regarding my tail light. They won't address the issue at all. I don't know what the deal is, but all I want is for them to do what's right. Does anyone else have issues with them when it comes to warranty claims?

az3579
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
As for those using LED's for turns, I advise against it. I found some awhile back that were super bright, but even in daylight with the sun on them, they could not be seen. I swapped em out for regular amber bulbs. People love to honk at BMW drivers for "No Signals" yet ignore everyone else. Hate that :rofl

That's why you have to use 25W CREE LED bulbs like I have for turn signals. They are brighter than my halogen bulbs under all lighting conditions, including direct sunlight. They are amber.
They also make a 50W version, which I'll be buying to replace my brake light bulbs (eventually).

BavarianZHP
07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
That's why you have to use 25W CREE LED bulbs like I have for turn signals. They are brighter than my halogen bulbs under all lighting conditions, including direct sunlight. They are amber.
They also make a 50W version, which I'll be buying to replace my brake light bulbs (eventually).

Linky winky to said bulbs?

danewilson77
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Khoalty is handling this very poorly. I posted a plea to them on another post on here that I can't seem to find begging them to get back to me since they seem to reply here faster than when you email them. It's been weeks since I"ve heard from them regarding my tail light. They won't address the issue at all. I don't know what the deal is, but all I want is for them to do what's right. Does anyone else have issues with them when it comes to warranty claims?

I am sympathetic to your situation, and I hope they do you right, but realize they are no longer affiliated with ZHPMafia.com.

az3579
07-03-2013, 05:29 AM
Linky winky to said bulbs?

PM me so I don't forget, please...

cakM3
07-03-2013, 06:08 AM
PM me so I don't forget, please...

oops! I forgot....:p

deuce08s
07-03-2013, 06:52 AM
I am sympathetic to your situation, and I hope they do you right, but realize they are no longer affiliated with ZHPMafia.com.

Seriously?!? I was going to question whether or not we wanted them as an affiliate because of things like this. Ugh. Guess I'll have to put my old tails in and throw these on CL or something! I'm done with dealing with them after this fiasco.

danewilson77
07-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Seriously?!? I was going to question whether or not we wanted them as an affiliate because of things like this. Ugh. Guess I'll have to put my old tails in and throw these on CL or something! I'm done with dealing with them after this fiasco.

Yes. Sorry. They haven't been an affiliate for a long time. I have actually tried to help you out in this situation by talking to my contacts without success.

rguti153
07-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Damn.... Link of the cree led bulbs ????

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

deuce08s
07-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow, that's awfully kind of you! Thank you, and it's too bad that they're ignoring you as well. Why do they burn their customers? I mean, they wouldn't have people so pissed at them if they just treated them right and stood behind their products.