PDA

View Full Version : I'll just leave this here.

MasterC17
02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
http://www.schrothracing.com/ximg/1575/16100.jpg

http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/images/smilies/excited.gif:applause2

az3579
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Yay.

I've never had a problem with the stock system keeping me in place. Did you order it?
That would squeeze every ounce of life out of you in the corners. lol

MasterC17
02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Got it off eBay. This seller states it is new and only bought a year ago - however he could not provide a date of manufacture (couldn't find it?). Regardless, I can still use it on the street + autocross even if it is out of date, just not in track events - although I'm thinking it still has a couple years left. I've rode in cars with harnesses many times so I'm used to it. While the stock system works fine for keeping you in place during Auto-X/etc. with the "seat-belt trick" it was wicked annoying moving the seat back and forth and then it would let lose on you waiting in line and if you had to adjust something you had to do it all over again. This is an easy "buckle, unbuckle." Plus, I'll admit I find them cool. Planning on installing it and just leaving it in there. Going to be my last 'mod' for a while! I still need to install a bunch of other stuff, fix stuff, etc. etc.

jvr826
02-02-2011, 08:04 AM
You'll love it!! I have a set of Schroth Quick-Fit ASM harnesses for my car. I put them in for autocross and track days, take them out for daily driving. Way too expensive IMO, but I think they're good for 10 years maybe? I should have just purchased one for the driver side. Instructors at track days always opt out of using the harness. Their reasoning is... the factory installed the 3-points, those they trust. I guess I understand that.

I have some mass to myself so the harness really helps keep me planted in the seat. I find I don't have to adjust my position after hard corners like I do with the 3-point. I've also added an M3 dead pedal which is much more strong than the non-M version. All help at the "drive the wheels off" events.

nk_zhp
02-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Harness for me was the single most effective mod I did to the car for auto-xing ... go figure...

MasterC17
02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
You'll love it!! I have a set of Schroth Quick-Fit ASM harnesses for my car. I put them in for autocross and track days, take them out for daily driving. Way too expensive IMO, but I think they're good for 10 years maybe? I should have just purchased one for the driver side. Instructors at track days always opt out of using the harness. Their reasoning is... the factory installed the 3-points, those they trust. I guess I understand that.

I have some mass to myself so the harness really helps keep me planted in the seat. I find I don't have to adjust my position after hard corners like I do with the 3-point. I've also added an M3 dead pedal which is much more strong than the non-M version. All help at the "drive the wheels off" events.

Glad to hear you enjoy them, I'm looking forward to getting it. Should have it Friday and installed on Saturday. Actually, I think they're only good for 5 years for use at a race track/HPDE - which is ridiculous. But, I think they're fine for the street & autocross for as long as they're not fraying/broken. I can understand the passenger not needing one but for the driver I think it's a necessity. I've never really noticed the factory dead pedal being weak, but I do have a piece of aluminum over it so that's probably why.

Harness for me was the single most effective mod I did to the car for auto-xing ... go figure...

Hmm, maybe it will give me what I need to go as fast as you! :roundel

murph
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Yep, the harness is essential for autocross!

Especially if you want to left-foot-brake, and especially with stock seats, there's no way to free your left foot for braking if you have to use it to hold yourself in place.

With proper race seats and a harness, it's amazing how much more connected to the car I feel. When the car moves, I move, period. My arms and legs are free to control the car, without having to work at keeping me in place.

nk_zhp
02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Hmm, maybe it will give me what I need to go as fast as you! :roundel

Nope, paying the timing guy will... that's been my secret for the last few years :)

nk_zhp
02-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Especially if you want to left-foot-brake, and especially with stock seats, there's no way to free your left foot for braking if you have to use it to hold yourself in place.

Abdominal muscles are a must for left-foot braking. I find that to more of a requisite than the harness, but I do agree with you.

MasterC17
02-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Abdominal muscles are a must for left-foot braking. I find that to more of a requisite than the harness, but I do agree with you.

Do many people do left-foot braking? I feel like it would just be awkward?

Received the harness today! Date is July of 2008 so I definitely got a good deal. Couldn't resist and installed it this afternoon. I was hoping it would be a little more comfortable for just driving around but it's a bit of a pain. Oh well!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/MasterC17/IMG_9233.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/MasterC17/IMG_9234.jpg

az3579
02-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Do many people do left-foot braking? I feel like it would just be awkward?

I know quite a few people that left-foot-brake at autocross. It's actually a "to each his own" sort of thing. There are some champions that do it, some that don't.

I was hoping it would be a little more comfortable for just driving around but it's a bit of a pain. Oh well!

The only thing I can think of in my head is: DUH!
It's a race harness designed to hold you in tight during cornering. It's going to be everything but comfortable...
I don't know how you're going to live with that day in and day out. lol

Mike V
02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
I started LFBing a few years ago. I haven't tried it on track yet but I do it all the time at the autoxes.

I remember a couple years ago, I forgot to move my left foot over to the brake pedal area after shifting to 2nd. When I attempted to brake hard for the first turn, I hit the clutch instead and took out a row of cones. :D Fun times.

MasterC17
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I know quite a few people that left-foot-brake at autocross. It's actually a "to each his own" sort of thing. There are some champions that do it, some that don't.

The only thing I can think of in my head is: DUH!
It's a race harness designed to hold you in tight during cornering. It's going to be everything but comfortable...
I don't know how you're going to live with that day in and day out. lol

Well, I didn't expect it to be comfortable - just a little more so than it is. I feel like I'm wearing pants that are way too tight haha.

I started LFBing a couple years ago. I haven't tried it on track yet but I do it all the time at the autoxes.

Hmm, maybe something to try next time.

danewilson77
02-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I bet you look cool driving down the interstate though.....

MasterC17
02-05-2011, 03:48 AM

Super Cool :pimp :rofl

JohnnyGraphic
02-05-2011, 06:01 AM
I started LFBing a few years ago. I haven't tried it on track yet but I do it all the time at the autoxes.

I remember a couple years ago, I forgot to move my left foot over to the brake pedal area after shifting to 2nd. When I attempted to brake hard for the first turn, I hit the clutch instead and took out a row of cones. :D Fun times.

It could have been worse. It could have been the other way around, foot on the brake and you go to shift into 3rd. :eyetwitch Ask me how I know. :facepalm

az3579
02-05-2011, 08:41 AM

Super Cool :pimp :rofl

Feelin' so fly like a G6........

danewilson77
02-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Feelin' so fly like a G6........

Yes....like a G6.