PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Day for a Jet Black ZHP

JG330i
04-26-2013, 02:05 AM
Well, hello all. Today I was driving along HWY-26 W and my engine began knocking. I began pulling over to the right lane to pull over and the engine died. I had AAA tow it to my local indy mechanic to have it taken a look at, originally thinking the alternator may have gone bad, but come to find out, the engine is locked and there is some sort of internal failure.

My mechanic is going to rip into it this weekend and try and narrow down the problem to see if we can rebuild the engine or if I need to begin looking into used engines and possible swaps as well.

I am posting up for a bit of advice and help and guidance on what my options may be and to get a better idea of what I may be looking at.

To give you a little background on the car, I currently am still paying on my auto loan and owe a little over $10k. The car is an '03 330i with 149xxx on the ODO.

I have been keeping up with maintenance and actually was driving over to a friends today, since he was going to help me with the valve cover gasket, serpentine, and timing belts. Things I have done are as follows (maintenance/upgrades):

UUC Stage II Clutch Kit
UUC Lightweight Flywheel
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
ST V1 Coilovers
RTAB's
Lower Control Arms
Expansion Tank
Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
Power Steering Pump
Power Steering Flush
Power Steering Reservoir
Thermostat
Spark Plugs
Brakes/Rotors
Temperature Sensor

Options I have considered with the ZHP:

1) Fix/Rebuild Engine and get back to running condition
2) Acquire Used Engine and get back to running condition
3) Part Out Vehicle and Pay off as much as I can of remaining Balance (If costs are too high)
4) Engine Swap (?)

My financial situation is pretty tight currently and I do not have a lot of money saved up. I just took on a new job and begin that next Wednesday and really will not know much more on what I can really do until I have more info from my mechanic, hopefully which I will have today.

Anyway, I have not come across a thread yet on anyone having this sort of issue with this and just wanted to post up and begin a discussion on what I might be looking at.

Definitely not how I wanted to start my weekend

UPDATE: Looks like this may be something similar http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1594879-Engine-failure-2005-BMW-330Ci-ZHP

When the engine died, I was driving on the HWY at about 60mph going uphill. As I came to the top of the hill and began the slope, a loud rattling began and I began to pull over when the RPMs went to zero. No smoke came out of the exhaust, no smoke from the engine bay, no fluids over poured out from where I had pulled over.

I am heading up to see the girlfriend via Greyhound and will post up more as more info comes in from my indy mechanic.

Oli77
04-26-2013, 05:13 AM
That sucks big time. Could CCV have failed and hydrolocked? Bummer.

Tell us more once you know some details. Swap sounds good if the rest of the car is in good shape.

danewilson77
04-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Damn.... So sorry to hear of this. I say put in a rebuilt engine or rebuild yours if you can.

If not... Part out and pay off. Not sure this is legal though, now that I think of it.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

illirep
04-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Damn.... So sorry to hear of this. I say put in a rebuilt engine or rebuild yours if you can.

If not... Part out and pay off. Not sure this is legal though, now that I think of it.

Dane - What would be illegal about this? Just curious.

fredo
04-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Sorry to hear the news. If it was me, I would look into an used engine. Just my 2 cents. GL on this one.

Tnhl1989
04-26-2013, 07:34 AM
I would assume that he would need to get a salvage title. Would the insurance company actually do anything for this?

johnrando
04-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Oh man! Hopefully a rebuilt one is not as expensive. Sorry to hear this.

Dave1027
04-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I think it's preamture to talk about replacing the engine. First need a good diagnosis. Who knows, it may be something simple. On the other hand, it may have threw a rod. Maybe the oil pump went out and it shut down before it got wasted?

What motor oil had you been using?

alexandre
04-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Could be something as simple as fuel pump. You didn't mention it in your list and they all fail between 125 and 160k.

aurelius
04-26-2013, 11:09 AM
but come to find out, the engine is locked and there is some sort of internal failure.

How do you know it's seized?

If the motor has truly seized, I'd bet on low oil level and the hill was the final nail in that coffin.

If it has not actually seized, put me down for fuel pump.

Avetiso
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure how possible it is, nor how available performance parts are available for the M54B30, but I would try to rebuild and squeeze a little more power out in the process. However, I don't know how possible this would be given your circumstances.

Avetiso
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM

If the motor has truly seized, I'd bet on low oil level and the hill was the final nail in that coffin.

Wouldn't it still turn over if it was fuel pump?

JG330i
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
That sucks big time. Could CCV have failed and hydrolocked? Bummer.

Tell us more once you know some details. Swap sounds good if the rest of the car is in good shape.

I definitely will keep you all posted.

Dane - What would be illegal about this? Just curious.

Thanks buddy, it sucks, but I'm sure it will all workout somehow.

Also curious as to what would be illegal? I am guessing since I do not own the title and possess it as there is a lien on the vehicle through my auto loan.

Sorry to hear the news. If it was me, I would look into an used engine. Just my 2 cents. GL on this one.

Thats what I am considering too, but it will all depend on what the actual diagnosis provides.

I would assume that he would need to get a salvage title. Would the insurance company actually do anything for this?

I am wondering that too. I plan on calling my insurance company today and speaking to them to find out what would occur if the engine is indeed gone-zo.

Oh man! Hopefully a rebuilt one is not as expensive. Sorry to hear this.

Thanks man. Rebuilt will run me around $2400 is the lowest price I have seen. Lower mileage, around 67k-70k would run me between $3500-$4000 from what I have found thus far.

I think it's preamture to talk about replacing the engine. First need a good diagnosis. Who knows, it may be something simple. On the other hand, it may have threw a rod. Maybe the oil pump went out and it shut down before it got wasted?

What motor oil had you been using?

Yeah, I just figured to put it out there and start a conversations about options at least. Never a bad idea to prepare mentally haha. Fuel pump is an option as that is one thing I had not yet had a chance to replace and check the condition of.

I have been using 5w30 oil (Castrol).

Could be something as simple as fuel pump. You didn't mention it in your list and they all fail between 125 and 160k.

This is good to know! Glad you and Dave brought it up.

Mechanic just told me it was locked and that it would be due to an internal failure. He might have used a code scanner to narrow down what happened since I did get a CEL after it happened.

I'm not sure how possible it is, nor how available performance parts are available for the M54B30, but I would try to rebuild and squeeze a little more power out in the process. However, I don't know how possible this would be given your circumstances.

My only concern is getting it running. As much as I would love more power, I really dont need it and love the mpgs this thing has been getting lately.

Wouldn't it still turn over if it was fuel pump?

Thats what I am wondering as well.

BimmerWill
04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
That sucks to hear. Im leaning towards a fuel pump as well. Rattle could be caused by improper fuel pressure. When it loses pressure or starves it does a kind of bucking rattle thing...maybe have your mechanic take a wrench and just turn the motor over that way...see if it hangs up on something....id pull oil pan first.

Fuel pump check first though. Best of luck figuring it out!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
04-26-2013, 02:16 PM
I didn't think a vehicle, that someone else owns (the bank) could be parted out.

nike001
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Does it crank?

That's one question.. I'm surprised that it took this long for someone to ask this simple question, honestly.

Johnmadd
04-26-2013, 04:43 PM
If the mechanic says its locked up and seized you can check that by turning on the crank with a wrench or try to roll it in 6th gear.

Hermes
04-26-2013, 06:15 PM
That sucks to hear. Im leaning towards a fuel pump as well. Rattle could be caused by improper fuel pressure. When it loses pressure or starves it does a kind of bucking rattle thing...maybe have your mechanic take a wrench and just turn the motor over that way...see if it hangs up on something....id pull oil pan first.

agreed 100%

if you can manually turn the motor via the crank pulley then the issues are somewhere else besides within the motor

static667
04-26-2013, 07:00 PM
If it comes to changing the engine, make sure you get one that has the performance package (cams) that your original has. Good luck with this issue, man. I know how you feel right now. Believe me.

JG330i
04-27-2013, 10:31 PM

Thanks man! Good pointers to keep track of and definitely will pass these q's onto my mechanic.

I didn't think a vehicle, that someone else owns (the bank) could be parted out.

Thats what I was figuring as well.

Does it crank?

That's one question.. I'm surprised that it took this long for someone to ask this simple question, honestly.

If the mechanic says its locked up and seized you can check that by turning on the crank with a wrench or try to roll it in 6th gear.

agreed 100%

if you can manually turn the motor via the crank pulley then the issues are somewhere else besides within the motor

No crank. Went and visited the beast today and the engine is done-zo.

If it comes to changing the engine, make sure you get one that has the performance package (cams) that your original has. Good luck with this issue, man. I know how you feel right now. Believe me.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing so but I actually am just going with a standard M54. A buddy of mine is going to let me have a used M54 with 87k on the ODO for a little under $1200, which is well below wholesale. The total swap in terms of labor should be around $800 bucks.

I can muster up the money for the engine for now and save up to get the labor. In the meantime, I guess its time to get my fat a$$ a road bike and start riding to and from work. (I'll slap a nice roundel on it to keep the BMW theme going ;) )

midlandtech
04-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Is it possible to simply pull cams from the old motor and swap them along with the ecu?

nike001
04-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah adding the cams will be easy.

I'm not sure how the engine management software would work but I'd assume it wouldn't be difficult

terraphantm
04-28-2013, 08:56 AM
If the engine is going to his original body with the ZHP cams, then there shouldn't be anything needed with the ECU beyond clearing the adaptations

aurelius
04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
YES...definitely salvage those camshafts from the cooked motor. Do not let it get away before pulling the cams. You can buy them new as BMW Performance items but they're $$$.

static667
04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I believe that the cams, engine management software, and DME (MS45 rather than the MS43 ) are really all that differ from the standard 330 and the ZHP. You would want to make sure that you changed the cams if you were to swap out your engine. Otherwise, you may have some running issues.

JG330i
04-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Is it possible to simply pull cams from the old motor and swap them along with the ecu?

Yeah adding the cams will be easy.

I'm not sure how the engine management software would work but I'd assume it wouldn't be difficult

If the engine is going to his original body with the ZHP cams, then there shouldn't be anything needed with the ECU beyond clearing the adaptations

YES...definitely salvage those camshafts from the cooked motor. Do not let it get away before pulling the cams. You can buy them new as BMW Performance items but they're $$$.

I definitely planned on keeping a hold of those and the motor and sell them on CL or something. The motor that is, since I am going to try and swap the cams in.

I believe that the cams, engine management software, and DME (MS45 rather than the MS43 ) are really all that differ from the standard 330 and the ZHP. You would want to make sure that you changed the cams if you were to swap out your engine. Otherwise, you may have some running issues.

Thats the gameplan. The shop I am taking it to for the swap specializes in BMW's and thats all they do. One of the top shops we have in Portland and I am fortunate to know the owner fairly well.

In the meantime, looking for a roadbike to use to take to and from work for now. I should have the $ to buy the engine from the shop this week and then $ for labor in a little over two or so.

echo46
04-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Damn, that sucks. I would replace the engine. Did you determine what caused the failure yet?

JG330i
04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Damn, that sucks. I would replace the engine. Did you determine what caused the failure yet?

Took it to the shop doing the work today and they are gonna start on it once I get them the $ for the engine, which will be within the next two weeks.

330i ZHP
04-29-2013, 07:20 PM

You wouldn't want to part it out - but if the parting out nets enough to pay loan, bank wont care...if not enough he will have to continue to pay insurance (almost always a condition of having a loan) until he can payoff loan..

if the bank found out that this was going on - they could call the loan in and potentially could press charges for theft or fraud...

330i ZHP
04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Took it to the shop doing the work today and they are gonna start on it once I get them the $ for the engine, which will be within the next two weeks.

what type of engine? new or used - make sure if regular 330 engine that they swap the zhp cams over (other that that, everything else internally is the same)

JG330i
04-29-2013, 07:25 PM
You wouldn't want to part it out - but if the parting out nets enough to pay loan, bank wont care...if not enough he will have to continue to pay insurance (almost always a condition of having a loan) until he can payoff loan..

if the bank found out that this was going on - they could call the loan in and potentially could press charges for theft or fraud...

Yup. Not parting it out now that I am getting such a steal on a deal on the engine.

what type of engine? new or used - make sure if regular 330 engine that they swap the zhp cams over (other that that, everything else internally is the same)

Just a standard 330 engine, used with 87k. Not swapping the cams because I honestly do not care enough about 10 extra hp and the bump in MPG would actually be nice. Speaking to the shop owner, no huge difference will be experienced because I just use it to commute and never even get on it that much.

330i ZHP
04-29-2013, 07:28 PM
KEEP THE CAMS - you may find the car wants them based on the DME 45.1 programming

330i ZHP
04-29-2013, 07:29 PM
also, I do not see how not installing the cams would increase your gas mileage

my car gets better mileage with the SC (as long as I stay out of it...although I never do)

danewilson77
04-30-2013, 03:54 AM

Right....that's why I said I thought it was illegal.

Sockethead
04-30-2013, 05:08 AM
So the burning question is what caused the catastrophic failure of the motor? low oil? oil pump bolt? I'm thinking something like that since the internal components of the these motors are pretty durable...Is the mechanic going to perform an autopsy on it once it's out?

echo46
04-30-2013, 05:16 AM
Yea, what caused the failure? Also, think he hopes to get better gas mileage without ZHP Cams. I do agree with above to keep the cams.

330i ZHP
04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
I do not see how leaving the cams out would increase gas mileage though - especially if OP says he drives mildly

Hornung418
04-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Then what about resale. Someone would be buying your ZHP and it's missing the most important part of the package...just pay the price to have the proper cams installed on the engine. Or sell some of your show parts and invest in routine maintenance.

From a GS3, this was sent.

JG330i
04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
So the burning question is what caused the catastrophic failure of the motor? low oil? oil pump bolt? I'm thinking something like that since the internal components of the these motors are pretty durable...Is the mechanic going to perform an autopsy on it once it's out?

Yea, what caused the failure? Also, think he hopes to get better gas mileage without ZHP Cams. I do agree with above to keep the cams.

Cause to be determined as stated in several posts above. Waiting on funds for the engine and labor before they dive in and identify on what happened.

I do not see how leaving the cams out would increase gas mileage though - especially if OP says he drives mildly

Then what about resale. Someone would be buying your ZHP and it's missing the most important part of the package...just pay the price to have the proper cams installed on the engine. Or sell some of your show parts and invest in routine maintenance.

True, I guess. I most likely will have the cams swapped in.

330i ZHP
04-30-2013, 07:02 PM
not swapping the cams (unless ruined - and make certain you ask our advice about the condition if the shop tries to tell you they are messed up - minor surface blemishes/light scoring is normal)

JG330i
04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
not swapping the cams (unless ruined - and make certain you ask our advice about the condition if the shop tries to tell you they are messed up - minor surface blemishes/light scoring is normal)

I know what to look for and this shop is not that kind of place. Its an enthusiast shop run by enthusiasts. Not talking about a stealership here.

330i ZHP
05-01-2013, 04:39 AM
I didn't mean it as any kind of insult, esp not knowing the shop. My reason for questioning it - was them saying the cams weren't necessary.

aurelius
05-01-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm no engineer but I'd bet more time and money would be spent trying to get a standard issue M54 motor to play nice with the car vs simply swapping the ZHP cams into the "new" motor.

ejp2fast
05-09-2013, 05:30 AM
any update on the car?? bummer man...

JG330i
05-09-2013, 05:50 AM
I wont have an idea on the issue and what happened until the work begins, which will most likely not be until the end of the month.

In the meantime, I have been getting myself into shape by biking to work and biking home.

echo46
05-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Until you get another ZHP, nothing is better than biking.

JG330i
05-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Until you get another ZHP, nothing is better than biking.

:) I cannot agree more. I actually took a pretty bad spill on the bike last week and waiting on a a new rear wheel. Tried having it trued but its more bent than I thought it would have been after steering clear of a lady in a Honda coming right at me.

I'm all good, so now I am taking public transit half way and running the remainder. We luckily have a locker room at work with showers and the weather has been so nice lately that running has been a pleasure.

JG330i
05-16-2013, 05:16 AM
*UPDATE*

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/962939_10152828311725088_520907427_n.jpg?oh=9ff838 71e925020c7e82c38e3876fbe1&oe=51973F19&__gda__=1368872205_aa821d950598cb82eea5e06b4712148 8

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/962080_10152828311700088_2009301229_n.jpg?oh=607f2 19d427dc206486034f8f2857659&oe=5196E7ED&__gda__=1368899344_40d248ccda07978502085c1386b740d 8

I threw a rod through the side of the engine block and a gaping hole in the back side of the drivers block. Guibo and center support bearing are shot as well as the engine mounts.

Tnhl1989
05-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Ouch man. Good luck

danewilson77
05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Holy Shit.

Hornung418
05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Omg...what could have caused that?!

johnrando
05-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Holy Shit.

Plus one. What r u going to do?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Sockethead
05-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Oil pump nut?

wsmeyer
05-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Damn. That is catastrophic failure.

JG330i
05-17-2013, 03:32 AM
Ouch man. Good luck

Holy Shit.

Plus one. What r u going to do?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Oil pump nut?

Damn. That is catastrophic failure.

Yup.........my jaw definitely dropped once I saw the pic on my laptop. I am replacing the engine with a used one.

Taking care of the following as well:

Used M54 Engine
M54 Engine Mounts
Fuel Filter
Denso Iridium Power Injectors
Drive Shaft Center Support
Drive Shaft Flex Joint
EGR Valve Gasket
Engine Crankshaft Sealing Flange Gask
Engine Valve Cover Gasket Set M54
Engine Crankshaft Seal
Engine Water Pump
Catalytic Converter Gasket

I had taken care of a lot of maintenance but the above were all things that need/needed to be done. Source of the failure has yet to be 100% identified, but I also discovered today when at the shop that my clutch and flywheel are also done-zo. Pretty damn frustrating, considering they are both UUC and I have maybe had them for around 30k.

Sockethead
05-20-2013, 08:15 PM
What UUC model? This is good info about the quality and longevity of their products...

JG330i
05-20-2013, 08:41 PM
What UUC model? This is good info about the quality and longevity of their products...

UUC Stage II Performance Organic clutch
UUC Lightweight Flywheel

JG330i
05-24-2013, 03:48 PM
So, an update for all of you lovely folk:

Spoke to Rhom Innovations today and the car is almost ready to roll again. Only needing a new friction plate on the clutch, hopefully, vs. a complete new assembly and a new flywheel has been ordered as well.

Total cost I am looking at right now, without the clutch/flywheel factored in is about $2800. Definitely a steal compared to what I could be spending if they had not sold me the engine at cost.

Tnhl1989
05-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Congrats man. Can't wait to see it on the road some day!

JG330i
05-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Congrats man. Can't wait to see it on the road some day!

Thanks! Definitely stoked to have it back. I should have it by Friday or around then. :)

Sockethead
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
what flywheel are you going to replace it with? I think the UUC can be rebuilt...

JG330i
05-29-2013, 11:07 PM
what flywheel are you going to replace it with? I think the UUC can be rebuilt...

Definitely rebuilding it. Love it too much to not.

330i ZHP
05-30-2013, 07:04 AM
a UUC failure? No way? I mean, you should expect UUC failures...

good luck

UUC SUCKS!!!!!

Sockethead
05-30-2013, 07:40 AM

good luck

UUC SUCKS!!!!!

Wow Stu, tell us how you really feel lol

330i ZHP
05-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Sorry. I have witnessed and heard do many people give details on how uuc products have failed. Seems like more than others (save umnitza and jlevi)

In fact. I have never knowingly purchased a uuc product. And I recently found out that a failed clutch stainless pressure hose that has failed was sourced by TMS through uuc.

You can ask others who drovw my wagon. The clutch is now screwed up. And it only has about 2500 miles and one year of use.

aurelius
05-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Does your repair shop have a theory as to why the motor exploded? Low oil?

JG330i
05-31-2013, 04:59 AM

good luck

UUC SUCKS!!!!!

Wow Stu, tell us how you really feel lol

Sorry. I have witnessed and heard do many people give details on how uuc products have failed. Seems like more than others (save umnitza and jlevi)

In fact. I have never knowingly purchased a uuc product. And I recently found out that a failed clutch stainless pressure hose that has failed was sourced by TMS through uuc.

You can ask others who drovw my wagon. The clutch is now screwed up. And it only has about 2500 miles and one year of use.

I havent had any bad experiences with UUC. The reason the clutch went was due to the fact that when the engine cut out, it was mid shift, and it pretty much toasted the friction plate and the flywheel as well. I have heard of issues with their bushings, but the clutch has lasted me nearly 100k.

Does your repair shop have a theory as to why the motor exploded? Low oil?

That was the initial thought, until we both realized I had done an oil change just a week prior to the failure. They are focusing more on getting the "new" engine back up and running as thats my priority. Cant worry about a failed engine thats already dead, especially since this is my DD.

SoarinZHP
05-31-2013, 05:19 AM
UUC Stage II Performance Organic clutch
UUC Lightweight Flywheel

Those two products right there sucked. I put them on my 325 and 2 months later got rid of it. Given the age of the car, another clutch/flywheel job wasn't worth it. And that's how I landed in my ZHP.

JG330i
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Just an update, everything is back together and am just waiting on the wheels to return from the powdercoater. I'll have it back anytime between now and Friday. Pretty stoked :)

static667
06-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Just an update, everything is back together and am just waiting on the wheels to return from the powdercoater. I'll have it back anytime between now and Friday. Pretty stoked :)

Sweet! I know you're ready to get back in the driver's seat. I can really relate there.

Sent from my yet to be hacked GS3.

johnrando
06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
I'll bet! pics when done.

JG330i
06-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Just one more stinking part then I will have it back!!! Stinkin retainer clip for the clutch pressure plate that keeps the spines in the pressure plate unsprung until it is bolted down.....

In the meantime, here's a look at how fantastic the wheels look :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/s720x720/1016828_10152949603375088_45097301_n.jpg

Anyway, hoping tomorrow or Monday I will have it back, it all depends on if the shop can have two techs throw down some hours tomorrow. Will update with pics when its back on the road.

danewilson77
06-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Looks great.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

johnrando
06-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Really want to see those on the car.

JG330i
06-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Looks great.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

Thanks, sire!

I know, riiiiiiii?

So freakin anxious!!!!!

JG330i
06-25-2013, 11:49 PM

You ask, and you shall receive:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1017594_370144523086567_1277102483_n.jpg

:)

johnrando
06-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Whoa, cool! More pics please.

MooseX
06-26-2013, 08:49 AM
whoa doggies.white on black. Crazy. I like it but more pics some time just to see it in a different light might be cool...I see you missing the center caps. Maybe consider the black and white CF' ones to go with that look

Good to hear your finally waking up from this nightmare. I can't believe you didnt' spend a zillion bux..you got off easy

You did end up exchanging the cams right?

Avetiso
06-26-2013, 11:29 AM
You ask, and you shall receive:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1017594_370144523086567_1277102483_n.jpg

:)

Damn that's clean. What did that set you back?

JG330i
06-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Whoa, cool! More pics please.

More pics to come within the next week or so. I'm working double at work all week still so I can get the 4th of July off, so I haven't even picked it up yet :(

whoa doggies.white on black. Crazy. I like it but more pics some time just to see it in a different light might be cool...I see you missing the center caps. Maybe consider the black and white CF' ones to go with that look

Good to hear your finally waking up from this nightmare. I can't believe you didnt' spend a zillion bux..you got off easy

You did end up exchanging the cams right?

Already ordered the b/w center caps :) Also ordering brand new ///M stick ons for the 135 wheels since the others were getting worn.

I did end up swapping the cams over.

Damn that's clean. What did that set you back?

Total for the whole shabang was about $4k.

ELCID86
06-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Glad you got it back. I know you're psyched.

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

MooseX
06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
dealio..good job. 4 G'S= New motor...bam. You gotta be pretty damn happy considering you tossed a rod. Now you got a new motor, clutch assembly and guibo. I think all 4 gets you is a lousy valve job in my town

Took balls goin white with a BMW... but personally I'm a closet white wheel freak. Did a subaru that way..a red one and it was not a bad looking set up. Chicks liked it as much as I did so to me it was win win

Avetiso
06-26-2013, 03:43 PM
What did the wheels cost? That's what I was referring to.

JG330i
06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Glad you got it back. I know you're psyched.

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

Definitely :)

dealio..good job. 4 G'S= New motor...bam. You gotta be pretty damn happy considering you tossed a rod. Now you got a new motor, clutch assembly and guibo. I think all 4 gets you is a lousy valve job in my town

Took balls goin white with a BMW... but personally I'm a closet white wheel freak. Did a subaru that way..a red one and it was not a bad looking set up. Chicks liked it as much as I did so to me it was win win

Damn, a valve job and thats it? Yeah, Chris and Rhom Innovations definitely came through big time.

LOLOLOLOL. Closet white wheel freak, thats a new one for sure!!!!

What did the wheels cost? That's what I was referring to.

$400. That included restoring all the wheels to their original condition prior to powdercoat. I wasnt actually expecting that, I was just expecting them to be coated in gloss bright white. Holy cow do they look sharp. I'll have more pics up this weekend after I give it a proper wash. Also need to have the front bumper repainted after my encounter with a possum before the car went down. Damn thing took off my entire splitter on the passenger side and scratched up the passenger corner up pretty well....then I had to peel it off with a windshield wiper. Wish I had taken pics. lol.

JG330i
06-27-2013, 01:09 AM
Here's another shot at the shop when I picked it up today.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1044949_10152968122980088_15317543_n.jpg

JG330i
06-28-2013, 08:09 PM
So......I just cant catch a break.

Was at a DIY car wash today cleaning the ZHP up and some guy backed into me, dislodged the bumper on the passenger side and broke the retaining clips, and drove off.....filed a police report, got the license plate and make and model of the car, and got a call back about an hr ago from the officer with the dudes information. Driving a work truck and thought he would just snake out of it.

Going to take it in to have an adjuster from insurance look at it on Monday and hopefully get it all fixed...maybe a new front bumper even :)

Hopefully it goes smoothly, other guy has Allstate for Insurance.

Newjack
06-28-2013, 09:42 PM
So......I just cant catch a break.

Was at a DIY car wash today cleaning the ZHP up and some guy backed into me, dislodged the bumper on the passenger side and broke the retaining clips, and drove off.....filed a police report, got the license plate and make and model of the car, and got a call back about an hr ago from the officer with the dudes information. Driving a work truck and thought he would just snake out of it.

Going to take it in to have an adjuster from insurance look at it on Monday and hopefully get it all fixed...maybe a new front bumper even :)

Hopefully it goes smoothly, other guy has Allstate for Insurance.

Wow dude that sucks!

I'm glad the cops got that bastard.

Avetiso
06-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Glad they caught him. Hopefully this bad steak you are having runs out soon.

JG330i
06-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Wow dude that sucks!

I'm glad the cops got that bastard.

Yup.....seriously blows. Im not sure if they'll work on the car this week or next week....I was stoked for a trip with the lady to the coast through some of my favorite roads :/

Glad they caught him. Hopefully this bad steak you are having runs out soon.

LOL. I love STEAK!

Me too though, its been no bueno.....I will say at least I have my new job, because without it, none of this "Makin' it Rain" to fix the car would be possible.

Avetiso
06-29-2013, 06:28 AM
:rofl go get some steak to cheer you up.

JG330i
06-30-2013, 03:08 AM
:rofl go get some steak to cheer you up.

Where do I send the bill?

;)

johnrando
07-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Bummer. Well, steak to it, you'll get 'er back in great shape in no time. :)

JG330i
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Bummer. Well, steak to it, you'll get 'er back in great shape in no time. :)

LOL.

Got the OK from the douchebag's insurance today and they are going to replace the bumper ENTIRELY :) WINNING. Taking it to the #1 guy in the area for body/paint and hes going to blend the fenders, replace the front grills, and a few other parts that were "affected" from le douche backing into me. Pretty stoked. Kinda bummed since I wont have it to drive to the coast with the woman over the 4th, but when we return, I'll have it back and it will be gorgeous again!!!

Now to decide on Hamann lip or CF splitters again....hmmmm

JG330i
07-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Dropping the car off tomorrow and picking up a rental.

Avetiso
07-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Where do I send the bill?

;)

Dane's house, of course. Address is in the contact thread.

trancenation
07-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Glad that everything is working out for you after the hit and run!

JG330i
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Dane's house, of course. Address is in the contact thread.

Of course!!! Thats only logical ;)

Glad that everything is working out for you after the hit and run!

Thanks!!! Me too!!! The guys insurance is replacing the front bumper entirely and when I had it taken a look at, I was so freakin stoked when the adjuster said the whole bumper would be replaced. SO MUCH WIN.

JG330i
07-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Dropped off the car this morning and Allstate (dude who hit me's insurance) provided me with a Cadillac CTS through Enterprise.

Not too shabby if I may say so.

JG330i
07-16-2013, 02:59 AM
Back in Black once again ;)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/992824_10153030488385088_2007799753_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1003463_10153030488395088_1740431884_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1010363_10153030488390088_1542800679_n.jpg

Not only did Bill Hall do a great job with the new bumper, but he also blurred the fenders and used some of the other money to fix things that were not necessary on replacing the fender liners, mounting my new CF roof spoiler (will post pics of that tomorrow), fixed several paint chips all around the car, and fixed my fog lights so they are functioning again :)

Now to decide between CF Splitters again or a Hamann Lip. Only reps of course, not worth the full price of the real deal imho. Next summer will be wheels and an air ride kit from Airlift. In the meantime, gotta re-register the car since the tags are about to expire, get my custom license plate ordered, and I am good to go :)

johnrando
07-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Looks good, congrats.

JG330i
07-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Looks good, congrats.

Thanks, sir!

JG330i
07-21-2013, 11:14 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1070050_10153051343025088_1933327888_n.jpg

First rolling shot with the new setup :)

illirep
07-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Those white wheels look absolutely stunning. I was just thinking about do this yesterday for the 135i's on my mystic blue sedan. I think I may have to now!

JG330i
07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Those white wheels look absolutely stunning. I was just thinking about do this yesterday for the 135i's on my mystic blue sedan. I think I may have to now!

Its amazing what a slight color change can do to the ZHP wheels :)

Definitely love them. I will admit, not as sold on them *yet* as I was with the red, but its soooo clean.

brewer90
07-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I wasn't a big fan of the white when you first posted the pic but I'll be damned if those haven't grown on me. I love the look in the rolling shot.

JG330i
07-22-2013, 04:03 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the white when you first posted the pic but I'll be damned if those haven't grown on me. I love the look in the rolling shot.

Thanks man!

JG330i
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
So since I updated my other thread with my ZHP's new kicks I figured I would update this as well :)

As of today I have put 30k on the new motor and it's running just as it should! No kinks, issues, etc. Amazing how it's been a year and how I've only put 30k on it.

As some of you know I used to drive so0o0o much since my gf lived 170 miles away (340 round trip) and visited her once a week. Well, now she's local :) and I'm not working overnights at the hotel anymore and have a real day job with weekends off!!!

Loved logging in and seeing where I was and what was going on a year ago!!!

I promise I won't be as much of a stranger :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
07-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Good to hear it's working out

JG330i
07-14-2014, 08:29 PM

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
07-15-2014, 08:09 AM