PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake question

06ZhP
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Just doing some research here and was wondering if anyone had an idea...

Does anyone know if the rear caliper carrier bolt pattern to the trailing arm is the same for a 330 as the M3? I understand the parking brakes and rotors are different. I'm just curious if you were to take the rear caliper from a 330 and fit it on the M3 trailing arm would it work?

derbo
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Just doing some research here and was wondering if anyone had an idea...

Does anyone know if the rear caliper carrier bolt pattern to the trailing arm is the same for a 330 as the M3? I understand the parking brakes and rotors are different. I'm just curious if you were to take the rear caliper from a 330 and fit it on the M3 trailing arm would it work?

http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/q/b/17.png

are you referring to the bolt holes on the bottom of #2 on the diagram?

My immediate guess is that it should bolt up but may not line up corrrectly.

06ZhP
05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes those are the ones below #2!

From what I can gather the arms are exactly the same except for their horizontal alignments. The carriers should bolt the same onto the arms.

Your correct the alignment would be off since the rotors are different, but my goal is rebuild the arm and use 330 components for the brakes.

derbo
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
The M trailing arms do have an //M stamped on them. :)

Is there a reason you want to use the components of the 330 vs the M? The M3 rear brake shoe is significantly larger in width which is probably why the rear 328x20 vs 320x22

06ZhP
05-01-2013, 01:24 PM
complete M subframe swap :happyspidey

derbo
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
complete M subframe swap :happyspidey

Do it, I did this and have no regrets.. :) It can get expensive if you replace alot of parts with fresh new ones..

06ZhP
05-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Already have to entire assembly! :)

Yea I know I was putting together a parts list and can see things adding up lol. I do want to replace as much as I can so that I can just drop it in and forget about it. Also doing the reinforcement for good measure.

The only tricky part is the trailing arm/brake issue.

-Nelson

derbo
05-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Already have to entire assembly! :)

Yea I know I was putting together a parts list and can see things adding up lol. I do want to replace as much as I can so that I can just drop it in and forget about it. Also doing the reinforcement for good measure.

The only tricky part is the trailing arm/brake issue.

-Nelson

Have you thought about using the 330i trailing arms and brakes together?

From the information online, the minimal parts you need to do a rear end swap is

Subframe
Differential
Half shafts
Driveshaft
M3 sway bar

The brakes follow the trailing arm you use. IMO.

Also the abs sensors on m3 should be a mk60 sensor with blue plugs. The sensors are different than the 330i manuals but same for the rest of the e46s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

06ZhP
05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Ive seen that alot too but the half shafts are shorter and have a different bolt pattern on the M. You have to use the right trailing arm as well.

If the 330i and 330ci half shafts are the same then the 330i trailing arms wont work :/. Thanks for the heads up on the abs sensors, I thought they would just plug in.

-Nelson

derbo
05-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Ive seen that alot too but the half shafts are shorter and have a different bolt pattern on the M. You have to use the right trailing arm as well.

If the 330i and 330ci half shafts are the same then the 330i trailing arms wont work :/. Thanks for the heads up on the abs sensors, I thought they would just plug in.

-Nelson

I think this guy has the best explanation on the swap with 330i parts. He mentions the half-shafts fits.

I just wanted to post here that you CAN use the non-m brakes, trailing arms, control arms, and hubs. The axles are a bit of a tight fit in the hub, but there is ample clearance.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800207&highlight=m3+lsd+swap

Abs sensors: Assuming your coupe is 2006, you need the the blue plug abs sensors from the M3. If the M3 rear end you have has blue plugs, you can use them. If not, you need to get non-330i manual abs sensors that are 02+ (blue plug).

Why BMW decided only the 330 manual have a longer abs sensor is beyond me...

06ZhP
06-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Just to answer my original question. 87718772

Yes both M3 and 330 carriers have the same bolt pattern.