PDA

View Full Version : BMWCCA CVC Driver's School @ Lime Rock, April 2013

az3579
05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Here is video from my last session on April 20th at Lime Rock Park, for anyone who's interested in this track. I recommend viewing in full quality on YouTube's site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a0qWW7iUFs&feature=youtu.be

I had fuel starvation issues as I was below 1/4 tank so there was one area where I was getting bucking. The rest of the track was ok though. There is other ZHP content in the video as well. :)

3ZHPGUY
05-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Here is video from my last session on April 20th at Lime Rock Park, for anyone who's interested in this track. I recommend viewing in full quality on YouTube's site.

I had fuel starvation issues as I was below 1/4 tank so there was one area where I was getting bucking. The rest of the track was ok though. There is other ZHP content in the video as well. :)

Great video, your camera is set up perfect so you can review gear, tachometer, speed and heads up view of the track ahead. Great job, looks like a lot of fun.

az3579
05-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Great video, your camera is set up perfect so you can review gear, tachometer, speed and heads up view of the track ahead. Great job, looks like a lot of fun.

They say the last session of the day is when most people have the highest likelihood of getting into a crash. Strangely enough, the 4th session was my best on that particular day... I also only got about 2.5 hours of sleep the night before. lol

There were some close calls the previous sessions, braking hard down the main straight. There was a clusterfudge of cars getting awfully close to each other turning into turn 1... I almost met them at one point. Luckily, I had space to steer next to them while hard on the brakes.

One of the first few laps in that video you'll see me looking to the right an awful lot in the middle of a corner. That was because an M3 got way too close for my liking turning into the first turn after braking, and I couldn't be sure if he was gonna pass. He wasn't allowed to, but I sure got that vibe from him. The senses were warning me... :shifty

jayjay_dee
05-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Awesome video BP... felt like i was there sitting behind you... i wanna do this...

az3579
05-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Awesome video BP... felt like i was there sitting behind you... i wanna do this...

But you were... don't you remember the Park Taxi written on the side of the car when you entered and paid your fee? :biggrin

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

LivesNearCostco
05-11-2013, 10:45 PM
BP, I enjoyed your video. First think I thought was "Wow, a LOT of walls close to the track!"

What run group was this? I see you and some other drivers were driving solo, so that suggests A/A+ or did you get signed off to drive solo by 4th session of the day? Weather looks a bit chilly by the dress of the grid workers. Some of the trees are full foliage while others are still naked. How many passing zones were there?

az3579
05-12-2013, 04:24 AM
BP, I enjoyed your video. First think I thought was "Wow, a LOT of walls close to the track!"

What run group was this? I see you and some other drivers were driving solo, so that suggests A/A+ or did you get signed off to drive solo by 4th session of the day? Weather looks a bit chilly by the dress of the grid workers. Some of the trees are full foliage while others are still naked. How many passing zones were there?

Intermediate/Advanced run group (both run at the same time). I am signed off for solo.
This was in April. The weather wasn't bad at all, low 60's or so.

In our run group, there are 4 passing zones. It's a short track so that's plenty.

LivesNearCostco
05-13-2013, 07:58 AM
How many run groups? West Coast CCA is typically ABCD, where A is advanced and D is beginner. If there are lots of beginners, they sometimes have two "D" groups and combine B and C students.

Did you have DSC off? I thought I saw your DSC light flickering in turns but couldn't tell if it was on all the time or not.

az3579
05-13-2013, 01:58 PM
How many run groups? West Coast CCA is typically ABCD, where A is advanced and D is beginner. If there are lots of beginners, they sometimes have two "D" groups and combine B and C students.

Did you have DSC off? I thought I saw your DSC light flickering in turns but couldn't tell if it was on all the time or not.

Our club at the moment only runs at Lime Rock, which we have to share with the Lime Rock club. As a result, we only get 4 hours of total track time, as a club. That means, we run Beginner + Novice together, Intermediate + Advanced together, and then Instructors.

In June, we'll have our first day that we won't have to share with the Club since they started that club. We'll have our own run groups, only in June though.

I had traction control in the middle setting, where only the throttle limiting part is turned off. That allows enough wheel spin for it not to kill the power when exiting a turn. In this scenario, the traction control light stays lit but the BRAKE light is off. (One press)

LivesNearCostco
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks. In July the Los Angeles chapter is running at a private motorsports ranch that also permits its members to run with renting clubs, but I don't know if the BMW Chapter will get the club 100% to itself that day or have to reserve one session for local club members.

I've never driven by car with DSC half-off. It's always been all the way on or all the way off. Maybe I am missing something worthwhile...

az3579
05-14-2013, 02:38 AM
I've never driven by car with DSC half-off. It's always been all the way on or all the way off. Maybe I am missing something worthwhile...

Try it!
In this mode, wheel spin is allowed but it will still transfer power to the non-spinning wheel and can still use the ABS to brake individual corners to keep you in line. There are some sections of the track where I still need some work on and I don't want to worry about having to concentrate on correcting a spin when I'm focusing on correcting something else. That downhill turn before the straight is the perfect example. Another is the first right-hand turn in the lap. With this middle setting, it allows me to power out of a corner without killing the power.

Once I fix what I want to work on, I'll be disabling the traction control altogether.