PDA

View Full Version : UdubBadger's "WEGOHAM" Build Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

UdubBadger
05-07-2013, 08:28 PM
No I am not the charity case, unfortunately the car is. I guess I am now looking at this like I have adopted a battered and bruised child and am trying my best to give her a good home and the TLC she deserves. It honestly breaks my heart that someone would consider this a well maintained BMW - let alone an M3.

If you don't know the back story to this yet, here are the Cliff's:

Bought E46 M3 that was said to be "perfect".
Wasn't as cautious as I should have been looking it over before signing bill of sale and paying private seller.
Found appx $4-5k in repairs needed to the car after the fact.

Yeah I'm sure you know how this one ends... I got stuck with it as seller wouldn't even return an email/text/call (pending any possible future legal action that is possible).

I'm trying really hard right now not to resent the absolute shit out of the car but now I am upside down on it and the only logical thing to do is drive it. I guess it's not so bad to be stuck with this kind of car but it still severely pisses me off how it all went down.

I am going to document the restoration process of this beat up M. I second guessed myself if this was a good idea while typing this up but I don't care, I am not shady like the P.O. and if down the line I sell this car, I want everyone to know what was done to it so there is no question.

So here is the list from iND after a brief inspection by Anthony of what needs to be done. Pardon me while I go :cry over my wallet while you read it, and why not include some photos of the damage too...

Replace bald 4 tires + mount/balance - was told they were 75% left, truth is they were at 1/32 in front and actually bald in back
Replace both lower control arms (might as well do race bushings too) - both are loose and jiggle which made my drive home pretty hecktic
Alignment - no brainer with above
New front & rear bumpers (plus paint) - front was cracked in 2 spots and full of chips like it was swiss cheese. Rear has been repaired from a hit with bondo and is coming apart.
Repaint hood - swiss cheese again, some look like hail or metorites
Repaint both side mirrors - scratches and chips all over both
Repaint front driver side front fender - scuff touch up above wheel well
Replace front windshield - rubber trim integrity is horrible and I was told glass usually breaks when trying to reapply it
Replace blown speaker - (sub)
Replace missing fog plate and cracked fog lens - both need love
Replace drivers door still - huge deep scratch in drivers side
Replace missing trunk carpet panel - just missing completely
Replace center cup holder - worn down
Replace missing clown nose on rear view mirror - really? I'm not even sure this is something people sell individually

PDF pics 8289

As for other stuff, things I would like to refresh as well:

Acquire winter wheel/tire setup by November
Full cooling system (before 100k - also will do Rogue performance pullies while I'm at it)
FCAB/RTAB if they haven't been done (at this point I'm treating this car like its never even had an oil change)

Refinish 19" CSL wheels - all rashed
Replace steering wheel - wearing leather but not horrible
Replace shifter knob - wearing leather but not horrible also
Replace ebrake handle/boot - also wearing but prefer alcantara
Replace interior lighting (LED conversion) - E46 lights are really dim IMO
Replace reverse lights (LED conversion) - helps me back out of driveway at night

And then the mods I would like to do initially (which are hard to think about at this point):

Add matte black grills
Add matte black side grills
Add LED angel eyes
Add painted or clear reflectors
Add strut tower brace
Add black M3 badge
Add BMW SSK

And the 2 big dream for this car:
Add Exhaust system
Add Headers (bimmerbrakes tester again maybe?)
Add Supercharger kit (long ways away from getting here)

So I guess here we go. Need to get some tires soon and get those FLCA's replaced so it drives properly ASAP.

Trying to stay positive even though I want to drive back up to Minnesota and beat the piss out of the guy :mafia , maybe making some progress here will ease the pain.

2goHAM

Johal E32
05-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Keep your head up man. Slowly work at that list and you will get the car perfect. Unfortunately with any used car you have to expect some TLC, but if the car is said to be "perfect" then that is different..

derbo
05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Good luck Seth. In the end you will have an awesome IMOLA/IMOLA M3 that could be said to been built from the ground up. :)

BavarianZHP
05-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Both cars have the same vanity plate? I didn't think that was possible in the same state! I didn't see your initial M3 purchase story - but I'm assuming you bought it sight unseen? I did the same thing, luckily the PO was honest. However, it was my first car purchase and I wouldn't recommending trusting someone like that, especially with their motivation to sell... Let this be a lesson we all learn from. Have someone you trust visit the car.

I wish you the best in the restoration, think of it as an experience. I realize this isn't going to make it better, but it could have been worse.

UdubBadger
05-07-2013, 09:26 PM
No its getting transferred over from ZHP to M3 but I had the back plate on today to go drive it to iND for an estimate on it all.

BimmerWill
05-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss given the amount of work that needs to be done with the vehicle but it will definitely give you some pride in it once she is back in great shape. I've always wanted one of the E46 M3's, don't know that ive ever seen one in red personally though they've all been the standard black, silver, or white. In for pics of progress :)

danewilson77
05-08-2013, 05:33 AM
But you haz ///M :ronald

UdubBadger
05-08-2013, 05:40 AM
True but I'm upside down as shit on it now.

Shoulda just bought from EAG at this rate. Oh well.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

illirep
05-08-2013, 06:06 AM
Man....the rock chips and scratches are a part of life and mostly unavoidable. But holy shi$ - I can not believe an M3 owner would drive on tires that look like that! Was the seller a young kid who couldn't 'afford' the car?

This is something I always think about and / or unfortunately stereotype when I see a 17 year old driving an E class / 5 series - yes you can find high mileage versions for $5k, but they still carry the maintenance / repair costs of $60k cars.....

az3579
05-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Did you buy this blind, without checking it out first? eBay?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Torxuvin
05-08-2013, 06:13 AM
I typed out a long post. Somehow got deleted. Grr. Anyway, that bites. The just was that you should include RSMs when you do RTABs. Based on the wear of the tires from the pics, it looked like the inside shoulder was more warn which is usually indicative of bad RTABs. I would also put fluid replacements all around and an inspection of the vanos bolts and hub (might as well do the valve adjustment since everything will be open) high on the list. If it were mine I would go ahead and do spark plugs too while I was at it. It ends up being basically a normal inspection 2.

Did Anthony verify that the creaking came from the LCAs? I imagine he checked the subframe and the shock mounts too?

What speakers specifically are blown? I may have some.

BTW, it may be easier/cheaper to find the front and rear bumpers, hood, and side mirrors used rather than repainting. Or at least some of them. I think Charlie went that route on his ZHP.

UdubBadger
05-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Yeah I appreciate the advise. Anything to save a few bucks here and there will be done for sure.

Car was only up on a jack so no subframe inspection was done but will be in the next few days. He was busy but the rattle was Identified by them visually as LCAs being bad.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

jgt_zhp
05-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Wow, I feel for you, Seth. I was nervous as shit buying my car long distance. It's a precarious position - what the heck do I do if I fly all the way out there and this turns out to be a bad deal? You can only do so much advance work. I don't know what exactly made me feel comfortable enough with the seller to not arrange a PPI, but after the exchanges we had, and the pictures he sent, I just felt like they were being straight up with me. I can see how you got to a point where you felt like you could trust the guy. When I picked mine up, it wasn't in a dark garage, but it was a hotel parking lot in the rain. Not necessarily the best place for a thorough walk through. The only surprises I've gotten so far have been the rear shocks, and a new intake boot that the PO's indy installed wrong. So I guess I came out on the lucky side of the crap shoot.

But like Dane said, you've got an ///M. And once you make it as pristine as we all know you will, you'll have the godlike Double Imola status. So that's pretty sweet.

UdubBadger
05-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks. Again, trying very hard to stay upbeat about it all (but its hard).

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

johnrando
05-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Hang in there Seth. Some time down the road (pun intended), you'll look back on this and have a story, and you'll nod to how you rescued this car and made it your own. I know it's frustrating now, but you'll get there, with a kick-azz M.

UdubBadger
05-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Very true buddy.

Btw did you ever fit those speakers in the vert?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

derbo
05-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Life gave you a lemon. Time to make some lemonade out of it :)

mimalmo
05-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Guys, I know Seth is now painfully aware of what can happen when buying a car in another city. Get your own PPI's done - don't rely on theirs, get local enthusiasts to drive it, bring a flashlight and a jack to check on your own and most of all, take your time. It's your money and you are the customer.

Seth, I know this sucks but kudos to you for putting this poor M3 right. I've had to do the same with cars I've bought in the past and it's never easy spending those dollars but you feel better knowing you're doing the right thing by the car and by the next person who will buy it from you.

Now, if anyone wants to buy an E46 M3 in the Minneapolis market, I know one that has been professionally cared for all its life that will be available at the end of summer.

Rovert
05-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks. Again, trying very hard to stay upbeat about it all (but its hard).

Awww Sethers. Think of it as this. You sharing this obstacle in life is giving an exponential learning lesson to many others that will learn not to take for granted to pure goodness that life has to offer in the majority. Things could always be worse and there is always a reason for something to happen. The serendipities that come out of this new project will rocket you ahead to more wisdom and increase your character even more. Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so make sure #YOUGOHAM and live your license plate!!

Quit being a princess!

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-go-ham-5.png

:jump

UdubBadger
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Lol thanks Eli and Trev.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

fredo
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I would start with new tires and suspension work. Then, attack the rest when my budget permits. At the end, you will have a sharp M3 !

UdubBadger
05-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes sir exactly what I plan. Also noticed some leaking washer fluid on side with misaligned bumper. Gonna figure guy hit something and punctured/cracked the line or tank.

I'm sure I will uncover more as I go along.

For now I am swapping dynavin and bsw stuff for the new zhp owner as he didnt pick up that option.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

johnrando
05-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Very true buddy.

Btw did you ever fit those speakers in the vert?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Thx for asking. Hadn't installed yet. I'll get around to it.

UdubBadger
05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Happy to buy them back if you want, I need 2 sets of midbass now as the rears in the M3 are blown.

johnrando
05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
I thought you might be going there. I definitely want to use them. Would you like my old ones that I take out?

UdubBadger
05-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Possibly. Hit me up with a price and I'll see what the restoration budget looks like.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

johnrando
05-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Nah, no price. Just shipping. My donation to your cause.

UdubBadger
05-09-2013, 07:38 AM
That's very generous man. Let me look into everything and see what's in all the slots before I let you do that though. I have a feeling he (or a different PO) did some speaker work.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Rovert
05-09-2013, 09:06 AM
I love to see when a family supports family. :D I feel so warm and fuzzy right now. That M3 is gonna be going more HAM than you soon, Seth!

E_Rak
05-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Let's look at it this way, that sad and rare M3 is now in the hands of an owner who can truly love her, fix her up, and give her all the attention she needs. The circumstances in which you got the car are regrettable, but you know it will all be worth it once the car is up to the standards you held your ZHP at. Good luck!

yura
05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm in for the build. I'm sure this ///M will turn into a beauty in no time!

Torxuvin
05-09-2013, 03:42 PM
I've got a set of new belts and a qt of 10-60 I can contribute.

cakM3
05-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Seth.....regarding speakers, I'm taking all of my speakers out and replacing them next week. You're welcome to have them (just pay shipping). Only catch is that I'll be on another business trip the week after the reunion meet and won't be back home to package and ship the speakers until the following Saturday. Also, I have a good friend who parts wrecked ///M's perhaps I can see if he has parts that he can sell to you at a reduced price??? Just a suggestion.

I can relate to how you're feeling....when I got my ///M it wasn't completely up to my specs and I didn't realize this until after I had payed for my car...just take it one project at a time and eventually you will have a fully sorted ///M that you can be proud of :thumbsup It will be like other's mentioned so far....an ///M that you rescued and restored. :)

nike001
05-09-2013, 04:19 PM
In good time, all wrongs will be righted. Someone must've felt that you needed a good project..

If I were you, I'd just forget about the PO because I'm sure all he's going to do is make a big fuss and dick you over anyways. Focus on some small items for now to get it up to spec while you save for bigger items. I'm sure you'll start making forward progress soon Seth!

UdubBadger
05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Seth.....regarding speakers, I'm taking all of my speakers out and replacing them next week. You're welcome to have them (just pay shipping). Only catch is that I'll be on another business trip the week after the reunion meet and won't be back home to package and ship the speakers until the following Saturday. Also, I have a good friend who parts wrecked ///M's perhaps I can see if he has parts that he can sell to you at a reduced price??? Just a suggestion.

I can relate to how you're feeling....when I got my ///M it wasn't completely up to my specs and I didn't realize this until after I had payed for my car...just take it one project at a time and eventually you will have a fully sorted ///M that you can be proud of :thumbsup It will be like other's mentioned so far....an ///M that you rescued and restored. :)

Thanks buddy. Like I said to Rambo John Rando I will sort through it all this weekend when I can. Spending most time now getting zhp ready for new owner. :( gonna miss her.

I will certainly take you up on the used parts hook up though. I will need both bumpers replaced so if there is an imola of either in good shape it's worth shipping to me. Also wouldn't mind FLCAs though ecs sells 3rd party ones for $130 each. will also be looking for a few other trinkets like newer cup holders and a clown nose.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Johal E32
05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks buddy. Like I said to Rambo John Rando I will sort through it all this weekend when I can. Spending most time now getting zhp ready for new owner. :( gonna miss her.

I will certainly take you up on the used parts hook up though. I will need both bumpers replaced so if there is an imola of either in good shape it's worth shipping to me. Also wouldn't mind FLCAs though ecs sells 3rd party ones for $130 each. will also be looking for a few other trinkets like newer cup holders and a clown nose.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Try a Mr Clean magic eraser on the cupholder, then plasti-dip it. Only costs $5 and the finish should be like new again.

UdubBadger
05-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Try a Mr Clean magic eraser on the cupholder, then plasti-dip it. Only costs $5 and the finish should be like new again.

Nah it's already been very poorly touched up so its fine. I can source one at cost anyway which isn't too bad a price. I am all for saving where I can but the extra $15 or so I'd spend oppose to a can of dip and a magic eraser USB gonna blow my budget. :)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

johnrando
05-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I'll have a decent black cupholder for you. Again, just cost of shipping. LMK.

UdubBadger
05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the generosity buddy, will let you know. These small things were already planned in my budget anyway it's the big ones that are gonna hurt. ;)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Rovert
05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
It'll only hurt for a short moment. Once you start driving that butt hurt will be so worth it! :P

Ryans323i
05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Dude, you got an m3!!! And your selling/sold your zhp. I missed a lot!

Sorry to hear she's not what you thought you were buying. But Imola on Imola is beautiful. Best wishes getting her back to perfect. You'll lover her even more than if she had come perfect.

Sent from my walkie talkie.

UdubBadger
05-10-2013, 05:42 PM
I thought about that today too Ry and you're probably right. I just wish I didn't have to drop so much money on crap like paint and such. Just annoying is all and I would have used it to negotiated a better price had I known it up front.

cakM3
05-10-2013, 06:25 PM
...I just wish I didn't have to drop so much money on crap like paint and such. Just annoying is all and I would have used it to negotiated a better price had I known it up front.

Seth, when I got my ///M I was thinking the same exact thing and tried to convince myself that having Dove Grey interior was okay....well, you all know what happened....;) In the end you will have a greater appreciation for your ///M because you "restored" it back to your standards. All you can do is move forward at this point and do what you can when you can :thumbsup

I know I love my ///M more and more with everything I do :thumbsup

UdubBadger
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
True.

I am still debating on tires... This is not good.

I need something ASAP and I'm being so indecisive.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

derbo
05-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Continental DW :)

Rovert
05-11-2013, 02:45 PM
DW! :D I am pulling close to if not a tad more than 1G of lateral with my suspension setup. I make passengers and myself dizzy after slingshoting out of the apex of a long max G corner!!!

UdubBadger
05-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Ya I know that just debating sizing and selling rims and buying smaller ones

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

GMATT
05-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I am sure this is out of the budget, but will throw this out. I have a friend who just sold his 2002 M3 and has a set of PERFECT BBS wheels with almost new( 300 miles Hankook tires) He wants high 2's for the set up. I have seen these and there is not a scratch on them.

Gary

UdubBadger
05-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Hahaha

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Ya BBS is out of range but thanks

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok so first order of business.

Purchased:
18x9" square OEM M3 rims and some used 255/40/18 Potenza RE760's to get me though this summer of fixing up the car.
The 18's will eventually become my winters once I refinish um and have them painted gunmetal. Tires were not really what I wanted but they'll do for this 1st year (have about 50% on um), then I'll decide on some new summer wheels and tires next year or if I have $ after the car is all finished up.

Total cost was under $500 including shipping. Being thrifty #feelsgoodman

Dug into the doors and found all HK speakers (sans the rear deck) but decided to go with some upgraded 6 1/2 midbass in both locations so I picked up some Polk Audio db 651s from Crutchfield.

Everything should be in Wednesday or so, will get it all in and also get some FLCA's and FCAB's ordered up too so that is squared away along with some other bits.

Johal E32
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Ok so first order of business.

Purchased:
18x9" square OEM M3 rims and some used 255/40/18 Potenza RE760's to get me though this summer of fixing up the car.
The 18's will eventually become my winters once I refinish um and have them painted gunmetal. Tires were not really what I wanted but they'll do for this 1st year (have about 50% on um), then I'll decide on some new summer wheels and tires next year or if I have $ after the car is all finished up.

Total cost was under $500 including shipping. Being thrifty #feelsgoodman

Dug into the doors and found all HK speakers (sans the rear deck) but decided to go with some upgraded 6 1/2 midbass in both locations so I picked up some Polk Audio db 651s from Crutchfield.

Everything should be in Wednesday or so, will get it all in and also get some FLCA's and FCAB's ordered up too so that is squared away along with some other bits.

Good stuff man!

Let me know how you like the Polk Audio speakers, I have been looking at the exact same ones for my touring.

kayger12
05-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Way to dig in and get busy.

:like

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Torxuvin
05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Good progress. It is nice how inexpensive it is to pick up a set of oem 18s.

UdubBadger
05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah, and 18x9's none the less (totally desirable track set for peeps)!

UdubBadger
05-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Good stuff man!

Let me know how you like the Polk Audio speakers, I have been looking at the exact same ones for my touring.

Will do!

Avetiso
05-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Get AKG bushings? I hear they are amazing.

UdubBadger
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Yes will be doing that shortly. Didn't know they were local too... I might head up there in person and let um look over the car and make some suggestions.

UdubBadger
05-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Puttin' in moar werk.

Order #2 was little stuff but ultimately stuff budgeted for and will help me start feeling like I'm getting this project going.

Khoalty!

E46 LED Interior Kit
E46 M3 OE+ Shadowline Kidney & Fender Grill Combo
E46 Painted Front Bumper Reflectors
E46 M3 OE Tuned Badge
E46 LED Angel Eyes
E46 Coupe / Convertible M3 Side Markers
E46 CREE LED Reverse Lights

Avetiso
05-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Good stuff. About the speakers. Would these fit into HK systems? Can you explain the replacements in more detail, please?

UdubBadger
05-12-2013, 08:57 PM
They're just standard 2 way shallow mounts. Most people don't go that tout because they're not dedicated for bass mid or high buy rather all (or at least 2). I will just have more treble lower in the cabin than the stock HK or BSW kit would.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

derbo
05-12-2013, 09:34 PM
18x9 is a good setup Seth! :D

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Yeah I'm kinda excited to run square

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

mimalmo
05-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Too early for bling?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/3800711803.html

I know the guy selling them. Let me know if you're interested.

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Very tempting but I think I want to stay square on the widths. Thanks buddy!

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Crestwood1001
05-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Im running Kohalty rings, had them for about 8 months and half of one ring went out last week, emailed them and they warrantied it out for me which I did NOT expect, just keep your order number and the date you got them just in case.

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Will do thanks buddy.

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Another update - Car went in for sub and radar hardwire installs. I ended up jogging home on one of the busiest streets in the Chicago Northern Suburbs... not smart. :rofl

Also placed an order with my buddy Evan over at getBMWparts.com for:

Genuine BMW E46 3 Series Center Console Components/Trays
getBMWparts.com E46 M3 Short Shift Kit
license plate bracket
front suspension, brake components, brake pads clip M3
rear suspension, brake components, brake pads clip M3
SEALING COVER
GRILLEINLET
EMBLEM
EMBLEM REAR
WHEELS M BADGES
BLACK FRAME M3
Sill plate w/M3 Left
MODULE BLK

kayger12
05-13-2013, 01:40 PM
You are on a mission. :respect

Avetiso
05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Good stuff!

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Gotta try to get this car semi acceptable looking/driving ASAP! ;)

S85FTW
05-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Hey Seth try and be positive, it could have spun the rod bearings or the subframe could have been completely torn. You live and learn, unfortunately, this is the tough part of buying an M. You buy one and hope to hell it wasn't abused/neglected but most are in one way or another.

bcleaver
05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
pics?

johnrando
05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
"A spirit with a vision is a dream, with a mission."

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 07:46 PM
"A spirit with a vision is a dream, with a mission."

very nice

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 07:47 PM
pics?

not yet, i'd like it not looking like swiss cheese with rock chips and damaged bumpers.

Hermes
05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm a little late but very happy to see this is what you moved into. Congrats Seth!

UdubBadger
05-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks JP

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

derbo
05-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Time to update that sig.

Center console, is that the euro tray?

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 03:48 AM
Still not ready. Love my sig. It's more about the plate and the CWMG than the zhp at this point.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Center console was new cup holders... Need a place for my morning red bull to sit ;)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

johnrando
05-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Center console was new cup holders... Need a place for my morning red bull to sit ;)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Depending on how you read that it kinda sounds like "need a place for my morning red bull sh$$" :biggrin

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Hahaha

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
05-14-2013, 07:22 AM

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Ewh. That stuff is really gross. Probably grosser than my diet sodas...

Avetiso
05-14-2013, 07:28 AM
I love the taste of Red Bull.

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Oh look who finally decided to show up.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
05-14-2013, 08:19 AM

Oh look who finally decided to show up.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

:ninja

ryankokesh
05-14-2013, 11:33 AM
:caseyshrug

jayjay_dee
05-14-2013, 01:16 PM
wow Seth, you're not wasting any time here, good for you...

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
I can't stand feeling like stuff needs to get done.

danewilson77
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
I can't stand feeling like stuff needs to get done.

I as well. If not limited by funds.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah funds are plentiful right now... sucks cuz it was all supposed to be for fun stuff but oh well. All I want is an exhaust out of all of this. If I can get that plus everything else fixes, you've got yourself a happy guy.

danewilson77
05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah funds are plentiful right now... sucks cuz it was all supposed to be for fun stuff but oh well. All I want is an exhaust out of all of this. If I can get that plus everything else fixes, you've got yourself a happy guy.

Ahhh...so you're not exactly happy with having a perfectly restored ///M3. You've also got to have the exhaust. I see. I see. One of those......

Crestwood1001
05-14-2013, 03:43 PM
When I quit smoking I switched to red Bull, love that stuff, have one in the am and one at work, it's a new habit in and of itself.

Rovert
05-14-2013, 03:48 PM
I've got to get you guys on the stuff I drink! It's competition, much healthier, no calories, and I sell it. #insertselfpromotionhere

HAHAHA.

yura
05-14-2013, 04:49 PM
When I quit smoking I switched to red Bull, love that stuff, have one in the am and one at work, it's a new habit in and of itself.

Red Bull is horrible for you. The acidity alone does crazy damage to your teeth. If you must drink it (and I sometimes do, too), wash it down with water asap.

Crestwood1001
05-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Red Bull is horrible for you. The acidity alone does crazy damage to your teeth. If you must drink it (and I sometimes do, too), wash it down with water asap.

Water milk and red bull lol but back to topic, udub, it's a nice car in hiding all the work you do will make it even more special when it's back to pristine!

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Ahhh...so you're not exactly happy with having a perfectly restored ///M3. You've also got to have the exhaust. I see. I see. One of those......

:rofl

Well to be fair I was thinking the good money I paid for the car upfront WAS getting me a perfect M3 so getting back to that point on my own additional dime is the annoying part.

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 06:48 PM

I do drink it along with water. It's literally the only non water drink I ever consume, maybe twice a week - three at most.

Torxuvin
05-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Do you know what exhaust you want to go with? I loved mine. SS sec 2 and an Eisenmann race exhaust.

I miss that car. Damn ex-gf. :facepalm

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Yeah Eisenmann is the house favorite as I'm good friends with the owner of iND which is Eisenmann North America.

However, the Rogue El Diablo also has me tight in the pants. Whatever I do, it's getting a rasp pipe.

3ZHPGUY
05-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Hey Seth, just opened this thread and wow. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but, glad to see your ambition in getting the situation corrected. Good luck and find something to laugh about to help soothe the pain.

UdubBadger
05-14-2013, 07:20 PM
:) thanks

danewilson77
05-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Well to be fair I was thinking the good money I paid for the car upfront WAS getting me a perfect M3 so getting back to that point on my own additional dime is the annoying part.

True

#justplayin

UdubBadger
05-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Early morning update. Snagged a new washer fluid pump off ebay last night for $5. Old one was told peeing in its pants was the coolest and decided to go all Miles Davis on me.

ryankokesh
05-15-2013, 04:36 AM
1) you're welcome
2) peeing your pants IS the coolest
3) I don't get the MD reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

328ioc
05-15-2013, 04:51 AM
3) I don't get the MD reference

Can't tell if serious or making a joke........

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ryankokesh
05-15-2013, 05:06 AM
I'm serious.... is it a billy madison thing too? :dunno

328ioc
05-15-2013, 05:19 AM
I'm serious.... is it a billy madison thing too? :dunno

Yes its a Billy Madison thing.....

UdubBadger
05-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Jesus Ryan, maybe you need to take another 6 weeks off from the site. :facepalm

ANYWAY...

More headway this morning.

ORDERED:

Added to getBMWparts.com order
16 51-11-2-695-256 COVER, FOG LAMP,

17 63-17-7-894-017 FOG LIGHTS, LEFT

18 63-12-6-929-565 LEFT COVER GLASS

19 63-12-6-929-566 RIGHT COVER GLAS

20 31-12-2-229-453 WISHBONE, LEFT

21 31-12-2-229-454 WISHBONE, RIGHT

ECS order placed:

ES#1895840 UUC Clutch Stop - "Big Boy" V3.0
ES#2091864 Trim Panel Clips
ES#2619005 Durafoam Tire Dressing Applicator
ES#251602 BMW Jack Pad With ECS Adapter Kit
ES#2603011 Transmission Service Kit
ES#2602524 Differential Service Kit ES
ES#1867703 Foglight Protective Film - Clear

AutoGeek.net order:

1 CG-WAC-117 - 16 oz. Chemical Guys Blitz Acrylic Spray
1 MC-79PU - Purple Super Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
1 WBMF-A5D - 1 Inch Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Detail Brush
1 SAMPLES - One Free Sample Per Order
1 SON-550 - 16.9 oz. Sonus Der Wunder Microfiber and Pad
1 B-25-691 - Contour Tire Brush
1 DJ-NS250 - 250 mL. Dodo Juice Need For Speed Cleaner Wax

Now just waiting for everything to GET TO ME... :foottap

ryankokesh
05-15-2013, 06:19 AM
I was going to post a stupid meme or something about how your words hurt, but then I started reading them and got depressed at their seriousness.

Also, how many jack pad adapters do you need?

danewilson77
05-15-2013, 06:32 AM
God Damn Seth. Did the guy do anything right with that car. I get more pissed at each, "I got this today" post.

#thatguyisasissycarmaintainer

UdubBadger
05-15-2013, 07:13 AM
I was going to post a stupid meme or something about how your words hurt, but then I started reading them and got depressed at their seriousness.

Also, how many jack pad adapters do you need?

Hahaha.

It was missing 2 and had 2 totally deformed. I like to have all 4 on the car for when I lift up from both sides and use jack stands.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-15-2013, 07:14 AM
God Damn Seth. Did the guy do anything right with that car. I get more pissed at each, "I got this today" post.

#thatguyisasissycarmaintainer

Doesn't seem like it :(

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

328ioc
05-15-2013, 07:18 AM
As I begin my search for my M3 I am using this to make sure I look at everything.

I commend your efforts.

UdubBadger
05-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks man but don't think for a second I like any of this lol

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

328ioc
05-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks man but don't think for a second I like any of this lol

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

I never though you did.

Best part I see is when its all done you will know exactly what's been done to the car.

UdubBadger
05-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah, still shoulda had that in the 1st place though. ;)

johnrando
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
This thread reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xArmqniFiJ8

But I've got the power and I've got the will
I'm not a charity case

I'll take those long nights, impossible odds
Keeping my eye on the keyhole
If it takes all that to be just what I am
Well I'm gonna be a blue collar man

UdubBadger
05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
hahaha...

once the car is fixed up I'll be making Dane change the thread title but maybe we will do a Rocky style video montage of the car with this as the soundtrack. ;)

danewilson77
05-15-2013, 07:38 PM
hahaha...

once the car is fixed up I'll be making Dane change the thread title but maybe we will do a Rocky style video montage of the car with this as the soundtrack. ;)

Haha, nice. Lemme know.

johnrando
05-15-2013, 09:01 PM

UdubBadger
05-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Woke up at 6am to go HAM on my speakers. Guess Charlie had the same idea.

Got the rears in just fine.

Fronts will fit but I'm needing to make a harness from scratch to not have to cut the factory speaker harness. Not sure I care tbh but why not make it clean if I can?

Also, tires came in super fast from Florida. Wheels haven't even been shipped yet which is upsetting. Go figure e46f.c sale going down the crapper.

Anyway should have a PM update as well, khoalty goodies are inbound.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Speakers in and the car is straight pound town. Got my BSW tweeters ordered and should be here in a week or so as Halston said they are on a short back order. Even with only 1 tweeter the system sounds amazing.

Finally something good to come of this car. Now lets see if Mr. UPS man can bring me some more toys to play with.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

cakM3
05-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Seth, what are specs on your system? I have to say...after upgrading all my speakers and amp, the sound is out of the world :thumbsup well worth the cash I plunked on my system :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

UdubBadger
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
I went with the Polk Audio 651s replacing the mid bass speakers (and effectively adding 4 more tweeters). They aren't top of the line by any means but they were highly recommended for $99 a pair and also are shallow mounts so I can use all the factory grills and such. I think they do the trick nicely. The tweeters won't get much play in the front doors as the factory amp crossover will likely kill anything that high and send it to the tweeters instead. The Dynavin does a little correction of the sound though so it's way better than with the stock Business Radio.

The sub is the Infinity Basslink I had in my ZHP. I must have had it setup wrong cuz it never sounded this good in my sedan... I literally feel like I have 2 12" JL Audio's back there now.

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Khoalty shipment got pushed back to today so the goodies should be here in a few hours. :)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

kayger12
05-17-2013, 04:20 AM
You're kicking some serious ass, Seth.

Great work whipping that baby into shape.

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Thanks KG, trying to have her presentable and driving like a dream for Timmayfest.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

cakM3
05-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Seth, your ///M project is commin' along :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing more progress being done :)

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Thanks Chucky, following your lead ;)

cakM3
05-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks Chucky, following your lead ;)

Sweet!!! You'll be lovin' your ///M before you know it :thumbsup

UdubBadger
05-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Ugh well to update, found a blown strut yesterday. Not happy, bilstein says 4-6 week turn around to rebuild. Found a guy selling his pss9 on e46f.c but he kinda led me on thinking they were available and then claimed 4 other people were in line ahead of me when I offered him less than his asking (not by much either).

Pulled the trigger on a local set of oem suspension for $200 this AM, problem is no rear springs. I will just have to raise the rears up all the way and run a mixed set up until bilstein sends back the strut.

In other news I am still on bald tires, had to borrow my father in laws cr-v to get to work safely because of intense rain. Luckily he is in China right now on business.

Car is heading to iND later today for the suspension work and it might sleepover until tomorrow when the wheels and FLCAs finally get here and it's safe to drive. I will likely have to rent a car for the night ( because I can't get rides back from iND or back to iND during the day as wife works 65 miles away) but oh well. Just add another $45 to the bill this car keeps racking up.

I almost had the exhaust I wanted budgeted before I found all this, now it's a little further off. :(

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

cakM3
05-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Stay with it Seth... you will get your ///M sorted out and it will be so much better. You can look at it this way....the ///M is happy you found her! :thumbsup

I get that from my mechanics all the time regarding both of my cars....they are happy I found them ;)

328ioc
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
After riding in Charlie's M this weekend I can 100% confirm that all of your work will be worth it in the end.

I think the look of fear on Dane's face can confirm this as well.

Keep going strong.

ryankokesh
05-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Lemme know if I can help with your transit dilemma. I can work from home tomorrow.

UdubBadger
05-22-2013, 06:45 PM
thanks Ry, should be ok so go in if you need to. I'm gonna get the wheels/tires mounted/balances and put on the car and just drive like a grandma until I figure out what to do with the strut. Labor and material cost on a temp OEM solution would cost me almost 85% of what new coils would so I might just invest in a new set, send these pss9's out for refurb and sell um to recoup most if not all of my costs.

iND lost power today so nothing was done, I didn't even go up there. :(

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 05:14 AM
That sucks...too windy?

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I stuck around here anyway, so I'm pretty free tonight & saturday if I could do anything that'd be useful!

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Depending on when my FCABs show up might use you for that if you're interested.

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Definitely... I'm gonna need some of those soon, so I may as well screw yours up so I know what I'm doing when I get to mine!

(I'm actually well-versed in the art of FCABing... don't worry. I'll even bring an impact gun.)

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Nice the bushings will be preloaded too.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Those are the best... I've actually tried whacking them with a rubber mallet. (it doesn't even work a little bit, in case you were curious.)

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I wasn't which is why I bought the preloaded ones lol

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
good call.

Literally does nothing.

Anyone wanna buy me a shop press?

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 12:35 PM
I hear DW does it by hand

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
:jawdrop

Yeah, him and the governator....

danewilson77
05-23-2013, 01:10 PM
LOL. I usually just buy the CAB's already in the new lollipops.

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
LOL. I usually just stare down the CAB's and they just know to get their asses in the new lollipops.

that's what I figured...

:chuck

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 02:55 PM

danewilson77
05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
LMAO....yous guys.

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 04:29 PM
So a small update.

I got my wheels from FedEx today, had the tires mounted/balanced and threw them on the car. Big difference :)

The 255 square set up is silky smooth and though you can feel the heavier weight in fronts through the steering wheel it's not bad at all. They stick out a good amount, might need some 5mm spacers to bring the rears out flush.

Nothing happened with the suspension today, I actually decided on going a different route than planned with the blown strut. Found a set of 6k mile used PSS9s and bought um over on M3forum.net. They will be here mid next week and I will have iND swap them with my PSS9s that are on the car, send out the blown strut and then sell that set once it's rebuilt and sent back. That way there is minimal impact to the overall funds and most importantly the car will be driveable to Ohio in 2 weeks for Timmayfest. I will end up selling off the OEM stuff I got after I know the new set has been installed and there aren't any issues there. Hell I might even just keep it as a "just in case" since it was only $200 (no rear springs though).

Other goodies arrived yesterday, some ECS stuff like diff and trans fluids, jack pad kit, fog light film and a UUC clutch stop that actually was TOO big. I couldn't push the clutch in far enough to even start the car. Guess my clutch is really low :(

Also my order from Getbmwparts.com arrived. OEM FLCA's, SSK, Vanos filter kit, license plate bracket, cup holder, and new fog light are all here waiting patiently for install.

It's nice to feel like I'm finally making headway in major areas on this car now. I was pretty stressed the last 2 days, even the wife said I was acting funny. :(
I won't sit here and say I don't like being thrown of course... it happens, I just hate when I'm thrown off and there isn't so much as a plan on how to get back on.

I'll snap a pic of the black wheels soon and post it.

johnrando
05-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Good to hear you're righting the ship.

danewilson77
05-23-2013, 04:47 PM
So a small update.

I got my wheels from FedEx today, had the tires mounted/balanced and threw them on the car. Big difference :)

The 255 square set up is silky smooth and though you can feel the heavier weight in fronts through the steering wheel it's not bad at all. They stick out a good amount, might need some 5mm spacers to bring the rears out flush.

Nothing happened with the suspension today, I actually decided on going a different route than planned with the blown strut. Found a set of 6k mile used PSS9s and bought um over on M3forum.net. They will be here mid next week and I will have iND swap them with my PSS9s that are on the car, send out the blown strut and then sell that set once it's rebuilt and sent back. That way there is minimal impact to the overall funds and most importantly the car will be driveable to Ohio in 2 weeks for Timmayfest. I will end up selling off the OEM stuff I got after I know the new set has been installed and there aren't any issues there. Hell I might even just keep it as a "just in case" since it was only $200 (no rear springs though).

Other goodies arrived yesterday, some ECS stuff like diff and trans fluids, jack pad kit, fog light film and a UUC clutch stop that actually was TOO big. I couldn't push the clutch in far enough to even start the car. Guess my clutch is really low :(

Also my order from Getbmwparts.com arrived. OEM FLCA's, SSK, Vanos filter kit, license plate bracket, cup holder, and new fog light are all here waiting patiently for install.

It's nice to feel like I'm finally making headway in major areas on this car now. I was pretty stressed the last 2 days, even the wife said I was acting funny. :(
I won't sit here and say I don't like being thrown of course... it happens, I just hate when I'm thrown off and there isn't so much as a plan on how to get back on.

I'll snap a pic of the black wheels soon and post it.

Of course......no pics.

:foottap

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 05:00 PM
yeah I know... I use a camera so much during most days I just don't feel the need to be glued to one when I'm not at work.

I will get you at least 1 photo of the car by the end of the night Sir.

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Of course......no pics.

:foottap

No kidding... Epic fail, man....

I'm not mad, just disappointed. :facepalm

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Pipe down...

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Imola is so...

danewilson77
05-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Imola is so...

If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 05:38 PM
If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

You just made my signature with that comment :rofl

danewilson77
05-23-2013, 05:42 PM
You just made my signature with that comment :rofl

First thing that came to mind. Seriously.

cakM3
05-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Seth, Dane rode in my ///M last weekend so he now knows the power these cars have first hand...;) Now to get him either in one of these fine cars or TS2 for his awesome ZHP...:ninja

UdubBadger
05-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Nice lets do it

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Well today was FLCA/fcab day here and wow that took forever.

Kokesh and I ran into quite a a few issues along the way including a bolt that won't tighten on the lollipop. Anyone else have this issue? We even tried rethreading it, which helped but it still isn't 100%.

The good news was I only had to do 1 side of the car as the other side looked pretty new so that's a big plus as now I can return some parts to save $.

Car feels much better now and as soon as that blown strut is swapped she will be all set in the way of the suspension being up to date!

Big thanks to Ryan for being a trooper today. Also DW for the 24/7 tech support ;)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
05-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Glad you got through it. When funds are available go ahead and knock out other side

UdubBadger
05-26-2013, 06:15 PM
It honestly won't be needed for a bit. Looked fresh like it was done in the last few months.

danewilson77
05-26-2013, 06:38 PM
It honestly won't be needed for a bit. Looked fresh like it was done in the last few months.

Werd. Is that what PO told you?

Sorry.

If you assess it to be good and that it will last a bit, I trust your judgement. You've been doing a boat load of work, are you getting an alignment soon?

UdubBadger
05-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Werd. Is that what PO told you?

Sorry.

If you assess it to be good and that it will last a bit, I trust your judgement. You've been doing a boat load of work, are you getting an alignment soon?

Hahaha. No Ryan and I looked them over pretty good.

Gonna do alignment after the new coiles show up and go on as they will also need camper adjustments.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
05-26-2013, 07:05 PM
What coils did you end up going with?

UdubBadger
05-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Same ones (pss9) just a newer set

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
05-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Same ones (pss9) just a newer set

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

K

UdubBadger
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Pss9 set 2 is here. Swapping at work tomorrow. Dipshit who sold me them forgot to mention a boot was shredded on one of the rears. I asked him to refund me $20 for a replacement and he declined. People are so fricking lame.

Anyway, also doing other fcab - hopefully at work and have new FLCA on standby just in case.

Alignment will follow.

Turner spacers and lugs just came too. Gonna throw um on the rears.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Good work Seth. Stick with it.

UdubBadger
05-30-2013, 02:33 PM
If this doesn't fix the issues, the car will be residing in Lake Michigan

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Cement wheels?

Hornung418
05-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Such an interesting thread.

Hope this M3 doesn't hurt you too bad financially...

From a GS3, this was sent.

UdubBadger
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Cement wheels?

Al Capone Mod

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Such an interesting thread.

Hope this M3 doesn't hurt you too bad financially...

From a GS3, this was sent.

Little late for that unfortunately. :(

At this point as long as I have money coming in for it, might as well fix it up all the way cuz I'm so upside down on it I will likely have to drive for 3-4 years minimum.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Marcus-SanDiego
05-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Finally read this thread.

Good luck with everything, Seth.

UdubBadger
05-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Thanks boss

S85FTW
05-31-2013, 06:55 AM
I have my faith in you seth. I am sure the car will be in showroom condition after you are done with it.

ryankokesh
05-31-2013, 07:16 AM
That is the largest, albeit incredibly beautiful, sig I have ever seen :)

UdubBadger
05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
I have my faith in you seth. I am sure the car will be in showroom condition after you are done with it.

It would be nice but it might just take more than I have right now.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

S85FTW
05-31-2013, 08:21 AM
fixed...I think...

fredo
05-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Nope. Still the same size.

UdubBadger
05-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Car sat at work all day waiting to be taken by a tech, they were too busy and I've lost yet another day. Fml

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Imola.ZHP
05-31-2013, 03:48 PM
This thread needs more pics please!

Interesting read, hang in there and keep on keeping on. Once your done you'll appreciate (and probably have gained a lot of knowledge) it more. I think everyone has made the same or similar mistake at some point or another in life. I somewhat did with the last beater car I had, long story, but anyhow, if you drive the same car for 5+ years I believe at some point your actually getting ahead because at some point you should no longer have a car note, then you just have to keep on top of maintenance. I've had my ZHP for a little over 7 years, its been paid off for nearly 3. I would have only purchased another BMW, the payment would have probably been at least $500/month, so one could say I've saved at least $18,000 in the past three years. I've spent quite a bit on mods and maintenance, but still, there has got to be some savings in there!

Hang in there!

UdubBadger
05-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah I hear ya.

I haven't been very inclined to shoot it because it has been so frustrating trying to get it in order. Imaging buying one of the cars you dreamed of owning since high school (14 years ago for me) and not even wanting to look at it let alone drive it. :(

Once the suspension is finally fixed an wheels painted and paint correction done, I know I will feel differently but getting to that point has been the biggest hassle ever.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
05-31-2013, 06:51 PM
It'll get there!!

UdubBadger
05-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Glad you think so, get your ass over here and fix it for me! ;)

danewilson77
06-01-2013, 08:59 AM
:facepalm Tango and Cash

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

S85FTW
06-01-2013, 09:27 AM
:facepalm Tango and Cash

First movie I ever saw a set of boobies on. I was 6 lmao.

ryankokesh
06-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Glad you think so, get your ass over here and fix it for me! ;)

Haha. Ha.

Ha.

UdubBadger
06-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Other control arm was bad, had to replace it.

- Going HAM mobile

zhpnsnv
06-02-2013, 07:32 AM
First movie I ever saw a set of boobies on. I was 6 lmao.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was a bit older, I think, but I remember being at a sleep-over with my buddy and we would rewind it over and over, wondering how our mothers agreed to let that be the movie of choice.

UdubBadger
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
:facepalm

- Going HAM mobile

danewilson77
06-02-2013, 08:20 AM

- Going HAM mobile

Werd.

ryankokesh
06-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Is it replaced yet? I'm gonna be a little surprised if it's actually bad. I hope, for your sake, that it is though...

danewilson77
06-02-2013, 11:02 AM

- Going HAM mobile

Is it replaced yet? I'm gonna be a little surprised if it's actually bad. I hope, for your sake, that it is though...

Huh?

UdubBadger
06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Don't mind him Dane he's a little slow.

It's been replaced Ry

- Going HAM mobile

danewilson77
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Don't mind him Dane he's a little slow.

It's been replaced Ry

- Going HAM mobile

This guy.

ryankokesh
06-02-2013, 01:39 PM
What was wrong with it? Everything looked and felt brand new!

I can't help my slowness....

UdubBadger
06-02-2013, 01:48 PM
2 of ball joint was apparently bad.

You're effectively fired as my mechanic

- Going HAM mobile

ryankokesh
06-02-2013, 02:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4fLivaI.png

UdubBadger
06-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Hahaha

You're not off the hook for detailing though

- Going HAM mobile

ryankokesh
06-02-2013, 05:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nVYHs8i.jpg

UdubBadger
06-02-2013, 05:36 PM
You decide if you're coming this weekend or not yet?

ryankokesh
06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Kinda depends on how my project goes in the first half of the week...

UdubBadger
06-02-2013, 06:19 PM
k

We're leaving Goose Island around noon on Thursday to go down.

UdubBadger
06-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Finally had a drive into work without my ass and hands going numb from suspension vibration.

Still need to fix the bolt Ryan possibly stripped on the fcab lolipop :shifty

After that a coilover swap and the suspension is hopefully done!

- Going HAM mobile

danewilson77
06-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Still need to fix the bolt Ryan possibly stripped on the fcab lolipop :shifty

- Going HAM mobile

:shifty

crossthreaded or overtightened?

UdubBadger
06-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Over tightened when thought was loosening and the thread is apparently cashed on the receiving end. Need to bore it out, find a larger bolt and rethread.

- Going HAM mobile

danewilson77
06-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Ugh. PIYA.

ryankokesh
06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I thought it was from hanging the CA on there with one bolt like those instructions said to. I don't think I'm strong enough to over-tighten something :shifty

Try these: http://ow.ly/lEWB7
You probably wouldn't have to do any drilling since the bolt goes in all the way... prolly just need a sized-down bolt. Not sure though :dunno

I'll next-day them if you give me your address again :)

UdubBadger
06-03-2013, 08:53 AM
I thought it was from hanging the CA on there with one bolt like those instructions said to. I don't think I'm strong enough to over-tighten something :shifty

Try these: http://ow.ly/lEWB7
You probably wouldn't have to do any drilling since the bolt goes in all the way... prolly just need a sized-down bolt. Not sure though :dunno

I'll next-day them if you give me your address again :)

I think it was from using the impact gun on it the wrong way.

- Going HAM mobile

UdubBadger
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
New(er) PSS9s + camber plates installed today. Still on lift and awaiting alignment but very happy that one is over with.

Wheels got painted last night too. I much prefer gunmetal to black. If I told you what I paid to have them refinished, I'd have to kill you. ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/9969_679889351273_1501621361_n.jpg

Still need my trans fluid swapped, diff fluid swapped and well... a huge other list of cosmetic stuff but I have some things in the works for this summer. Happy to have it running well now.

jgt_zhp
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Damn, that wheel looks good. I'm having a set of style 135s painted that color as we speak. Seeing yours gets me a little jazzed about getting mine back

S85FTW
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Digging the look of the wheels. Looks similar to my ghost chrome powder coat on the E60. Except from some angles looks black and straight forward looks like what you have here.

M3TA5IN
06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Dude! I don't know how I missed all this. I didn't even know you picked up an M3 until you said something on Facebook about it to Katie and I.

Sorry for the shitty seller, but awesome amount of work you are doing man!

Sent from my fancy city machine.

UdubBadger
06-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks boys and no worries Cody, life gets crazy.

Got the trans fluid draining as we speak.

Best part about working at a dealership is that you get your own private lift ;)

- Going HAM mobile

Avetiso
06-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Ugh, I'd love to have access to a lift. Although I'm sure I could find some Russians, they'd all charge me either way. :( Great work, Seth. Loving the look of the wheels, too. Never was a fan of black wheels.

johnrando
06-05-2013, 12:54 PM
:thumbsup

UdubBadger
06-05-2013, 12:56 PM

- Going HAM mobile

Avetiso
06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh my.

danewilson77
06-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Well done Badger.

UdubBadger
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Still not sowed up. Caster is still way off. Think I might need to hit up Firestone in the AM fora lifetime alignment package.

- Going HAM mobile

S85FTW
06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I am afraid to see what my alignment is like. I just installed new front lower thrust arms and bushings and will be taking it in this week.

Were your caster bolts seized? My zhp had them seized up on my last alignment before I sold it.

UdubBadger
06-06-2013, 03:09 AM
I am afraid to see what my alignment is like. I just installed new front lower thrust arms and bushings and will be taking it in this week.

Were your caster bolts seized? My zhp had them seized up on my last alignment before I sold it.

Didn't say but we will find out today

- Going HAM mobile

ryankokesh
06-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Still not sowed up. Caster is still way off. Think I might need to hit up Firestone in the AM fora lifetime alignment package.

- Going HAM mobile

With your record you'd definitely make the lifetime package worthwhile. :)

danewilson77
06-06-2013, 04:57 AM
With your record you'd definitely make the lifetime package worthwhile. :)

Could be more caused by his mechanic though.

ryankokesh
06-06-2013, 05:00 AM

Could be more caused by his mechanic though.

Haha, yeah that guy sucks. Good thing he fired him.

UdubBadger
06-07-2013, 06:00 AM
Well short update, I got aligned yesterday am and it felt great for about 100 miles till I hit a small truck tire driving to Timmayfest (couldn't avoid in time) and it threw off the front toe enough to put my steering wheel 3 deg to the right.

Drove the next 300 miles like that with some codes popping up and clearing along the way.
Big ups to Dane for the technical support texting along the way.

Car went back into local Firestone here for alignment again today so I will see how she does soon when I head in to get her.

- Going HAM mobile

UdubBadger
06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
And this car is officially cursed. Pulled out of the lot, hit a bump, toe goes off the other direction immediately, xmas lights on the dash.

back at the shop and camber plates are coming down to be adjusted and tightened. Hoping that solves the problem.

Avetiso
06-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure it should go out that quickly. I've hit hard bumps before but I've remained aligned fairly well. I have the slightest pull to the right, but I need new fcabs, so that could be it.

UdubBadger
06-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Charged me $200 to fix camber plates, I leave and wheel is still crooked. I think the issue might be the caster being too forward because my wheels are 255/40/19 and not 255/35/18 in front and its rubbing a lot when I turn? Going back yet again tomorrow at 7am

- Going HAM mobile

UdubBadger
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Well the car went in today at 7am and I got it back AFTER the show (not a big deal it wasn't anything special to show anyway). Hoping its finally fixed but something tells me it's not. This place kept bitching at me about how the techs werent familiar with the camber plates and such and I was thinking to myself the car isn't running -5 camber or anything so the plates aren't really even being used, they just need to be tight and then normal adjustments should be made for alignment but that doesn't change why it keeps getting knocked off. Maybe I just need to raise the front end up because it's rubbing at speed and thats causing it to go off line.

ryankokesh
06-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Holy crap. Hope it's fixed...

UdubBadger
06-10-2013, 11:14 AM
I just don't know what the hell is still wrong

- Going HAM mobile

bcleaver
06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
You ever get the general alignment specs sorted out? Sounds like someone didn't tighten down the plates (or a tie rod, or something) and when you hit a bump they shifted

UdubBadger
06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Gonna raise front coilovers, swap out tie rods and rotors and then redo the alignment.

- Going HAM mobile

danewilson77
06-11-2013, 05:56 PM

UdubBadger
06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
New tie rods (inner/outter) and rotors on the way. Hoping this clears up my issues as well as raising up the front a little more for clearance.

- Going HAM mobile

danewilson77
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
4 wheel drive beast mode on the ///M3 FTW!

Avetiso
06-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Man, 25 pages of thread dedicated to getting a car back in shape. Looks like it's coming along nicely, though.

UdubBadger
06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
It's getting there...

Speaking of which I finally got my BSW tweeter/mid driver plates in the car today. Sounds like a proper system now, aka BAMF (aka HAM).

Car went into Firestone for another alignment, I figured I'd give them one more chance to at least diagnose the issues. I got the tie rods in today so if they give me the "we aren't sure but we aligned the car" routine I'll drop it off at a real mechanic this weekend to be worked on.

johnrando
06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Nice.

danewilson77
06-13-2013, 06:25 PM
In for results. The saga is killing me.

UdubBadger
06-13-2013, 08:35 PM
They wouldn't do it as their skilled guy wasn't in today. Heading back tomorrow then will update.

- Going HAM mobile

UdubBadger
06-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Found 2 interesting things out today.

1. Camber plates or camber plates and front coils were installed improperly. The plates caster adjustments should be facing 12/6 oclock when installed, mine are facing 9 and 3.

2. RTABs are shot.

So I will be ordering some new bushings tonight. God I hope I don't need rear control arms. How do I know?

Torxuvin
06-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Found 2 interesting things out today.

1. Camber plates or camber plates and front coils were installed improperly. The plates caster adjustments should be facing 12/6 oclock when installed, mine are facing 9 and 3.

2. RTABs are shot.

So I will be ordering some new bushings tonight. God I hope I don't need rear control arms. How do I know?

I've never heard of them needing to be replaced