PDA

View Full Version : Low-beams not bright enough.

Enemy
05-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Gents,

When I received my new-to-me ZHP last week, the headlights would not illuminate the road well at all. They were so dim that the fog lights did a better job lighting up the road. The lenses were extremely faded and pitted, so I thought maybe with new lenses that the clarity would come back. I was wrong.

I installed new lenses today, and also new bulbs... still having the same problem. Driver's side is brighter than passenger side, but neither is bright enough. They are both on and powered. Just not powered enough? The self-leveling seems to work just fine, and I also checked their level adjustment manually.

All lights work and operate correctly, except the low-beams. My first thought is that they may not be receiving adequate power? Could it be the ballasts? Igniter? I'm not very experienced with this.

The same problem occurred both with the stock equipment, and also now that I installed some Angel Eyes and new bulbs. Bulbs came from Khoalty, so nothing fancy, but the issue was there with previous bulbs too, so I'm ruling out the quality factor. This has to be something having to do with faulty ballasts or igniter, right?

I tried a search here and didn't see anything about it. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

derbo
05-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Welcome!

Sounds like you have the infamous ZKW burnt bowls. There are few options available and all are fairly costly..

Check out this thread.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5445-ZKW-Burnt-Projector-Bowl-Repair-Retrofit-DIY&highlight=burnt+bowls

Avetiso
05-11-2013, 09:44 PM
If you are not keen on doing a retrofit such as FX-R projectors or M3 AL bowls, I would recommend finding used AL headlights from junk/salvage yards or for sale. I picked up a set of AL headlights for $500 USD with bulbs and ballasts and decent lenses. Auto adjust works fine, too.

That is the simplest way.

LivesNearCostco
05-11-2013, 10:37 PM
I ask that you also file a complaint online with the National Transportation Safety Board. Maybe if enough of us file claims, they will open an investigation with BMW and force BMW NA to do a recall of the ZKW projectors.

BavarianZHP
05-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Burnt bowls... Can you first confirm with us that your car is equipped with the ZKW projectors? ZHP's were also equipped with AL's, which do not burn.

Enemy
05-12-2013, 05:30 AM
If you are not keen on doing a retrofit such as FX-R projectors or M3 AL bowls, I would recommend finding used AL headlights from junk/salvage yards or for sale. I picked up a set of AL headlights for $500 USD with bulbs and ballasts and decent lenses. Auto adjust works fine, too.

That is the simplest way.

I would definitely try my hand at it. It would be my first HID retrofit, but there needs to be a first time for everything. I just need to read up on the retrofit some more to get comfortable with the install and the parts, so on. Looks like this can run about $500... :(

Burnt bowls... Can you first confirm with us that your car is equipped with the ZKW projectors? ZHP's were also equipped with AL's, which do not burn.

I'll report back by end of day.

Guys, thank you! :)

Stigissimo
05-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I just purchased a new-to-me ZHP and had the same problem as well... my lenses were super pitted though. I changed out the lenses and it got a little better but it's still not great. I have xenons. I've done all the reading and all previous posts pretty much summed it up - theres not much you can do for cheap besides replace pitted lenses. I think I'm just going to live with it and use my highs unless there is a car coming the other way.

Johnmadd
05-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Sedan? 4door?

Enemy
05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Sedan.

Now that I think of it, the bowls ARE burnt around the top. The angel eyes that were previously installed had burnt out and stopped working because of it too.

Mine are verified ZKW. I just checked.

BavarianZHP
05-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm fairly sure you won't be able to tell if they're burned unless you take them apart. However, since they're ZKW's you can safely assume they need replacing. Good luck with the process.

Enemy
05-12-2013, 06:34 PM
They looked a little burnt at the tops... I guess maybe the heat could have just burnt the AE rings? Oh well.

derbo
05-12-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm fairly sure you won't be able to tell if they're burned unless you take them apart. However, since they're ZKW's you can safely assume they need replacing. Good luck with the process.

If you remove the cover to remove the headlight bulb, you can see the burnt bowl from the back side.

Avetiso
05-12-2013, 07:57 PM
They looked a little burnt at the tops... I guess maybe the heat could have just burnt the AE rings? Oh well.
Doubt it, but possible.

Whatever you choose, we have some good people who are knowledgeable and can help you. You came to the right place. :thumbsup

Enemy
05-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Good thing I have a second vehicle.

I'm not looking to rush this but it would be nice to do it sooner than later and without giving up an arm for it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Enemy
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I found some used ALs for $400 plus my cores. Went for it... :(

Of all the stuff I've bought for this car over the last week, this one really sucks because I wasn't expecting it. It's my fault though, for assuming the lights weren't bright due to faded lenses. I should've read up on common ZHP issues and things to look for when buying. Oh well. Buy once, cry once as they say.

So much for not rushing... but considering the cost of retrofit parts and time involved, $400 plus cores seemed like a good compromise.

danewilson77
05-13-2013, 07:15 AM
I found some used ALs for $400 plus my cores. Went for it... :(

Of all the stuff I've bought for this car over the last week, this one really sucks because I wasn't expecting it. It's my fault though, for assuming the lights weren't bright due to faded lenses. I should've read up on common ZHP issues and things to look for when buying. Oh well. Buy once, cry once as they say.

So much for not rushing... but considering the cost of retrofit parts and time involved, $400 plus cores seemed like a good compromise.

Nice find. Do the retrofit, but use the ZKW lenses. Then you'll be golden. If you use the AL housing, you'll need to modify the brackets.

Enemy
05-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Dane,

Sounds like I rushed. :(

The ALs won't bolt on without modification?

Torxuvin
05-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Dane,

Sounds like I rushed. :(

The ALs won't bolt on without modification?

I believe that they fit, the lens in the ZKW just has a better cutoff line. People often combine the ZKW lens with the rest of the AL housing.

danewilson77
05-13-2013, 08:52 AM
I am no the authority here, but I used AL bowls, AL housings, and ZKW lenses.

Like I said...I had to modify the housing brackets.

I believe I took this route, because of the high-low beam shutter assemblies on the bowls are different.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8852-The-Perfect-BiFecta-AL-Bowls-with-ZKW-Lenses.-A-road-to-Purgatory

Avetiso
05-13-2013, 08:59 AM
I think what Enemy means is that he TRADED his ZKW headlights plus $400 in cash for AL's. As in he doesn't have ZKW's anymore. Right?

"I found some used ALs for $400 plus my cores. Went for it..."

If so, don't worry, your AL's will plug right up to your car and work.

Enemy
05-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Well yes and no.

The agreement is that I will receive the ALs, and then send in my ZKWs after the swap. Seller wants to see pictures of my ZKWs to make sure he can re-use them before he refunds my core deposit.

I found this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5157740&postcount=14

Looks like the AL housing will work just fine with some light modding.

Avetiso
05-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I didn't even notice when installing my AL's, but I don't have washer nozzles.

Enemy
05-13-2013, 09:24 AM
I didn't even notice when installing my AL's, but I don't have washer nozzles.

Did you replace your ZKWs with ALs like I am attempting to do?

Did you have any issues or did they drop right in?

I do not have washer nozzles either.

danewilson77
05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
If so, don't worry, your AL's will plug right up to your car and work.

Like I said though....the brackets have to be modified.

danewilson77
05-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Indicated in post #1...below.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8891-BMW-330i-ZHP-My-ZKW-to-AL-headlight-swap-to-include-ZKW-lenses

Enemy
05-13-2013, 09:33 AM
I guess I keep missing little details. Posting from work. :)

Enemy
05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Indicated in post #1...below.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8891-BMW-330i-ZHP-My-ZKW-to-AL-headlight-swap-to-include-ZKW-lenses

Thanks Dane. :)

danewilson77
05-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Naa....it's ok. I think if you have ZCW, you'll have to madify brackets. If not...I don't know.

Avetiso
05-13-2013, 09:45 AM
I do not have ZCW. For me, it was a direct swap. Take out ZKW's, put in AL's. Good thing I didn't have nozzles.

Enemy
05-13-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't have ZCW. My mind is at peace now.

Thanks gentlemen. Is the postal guy here yet?

danewilson77
05-13-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't have ZCW. My mind is at peace now.

Thanks gentlemen. Is the postal guy here yet?

:rofl

Good deal.

Enemy
05-21-2013, 02:03 AM
I just swapped the ZKW for AL headlights. My headlights are back! Like Dane said, some minor bracket modification was required, but seriously it was just a matter of cutting a piece of plastic down a little bit. Easy swap.

Thanks for your help gentlemen. :)

JupiterBMW
05-21-2013, 06:08 AM
I do not have ZCW. For me, it was a direct swap. Take out ZKW's, put in AL's. Good thing I didn't have nozzles.

Not the case. The brackets are actually the same, just the nozzle assembly is either inserted or not. But if they went in well for you, good to hear. Like Dane said, brackets need to be modified.

And the lens swap he is referring to is the inner projector lens. If you swapped them out, awesome, if not, no big deal. The lens doesn't do anything with the cutoff, it just gives the light a more crystal look, as opposed to a softer "fog" if that makes sense. The other thing, when you get the new lights, take it all apart and clean everything. There will be a lot of dust/haze inside the lights...