PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Car Wash.... should I?

Washburn
02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I've been weary about running my BMW through the Auto Wash (probably conditioned to all I read about how "bad" and damaging they are???), but we did run the Elantra and the Tbird through one after the last snow/salt fest we had a few weeks ago. the Bimmer didn't see much salt/snow so I didn't do it, BUT now it's just generally dirty and the white shows it...I've been weary about auto car washes for such a "new" (to me) car....but it has reached the point where people tell me " damn that car's dirty!" ...esp. the wheels. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/graemlins/default/frown.gif while the Elantra and Tbird looks pretty clean and nice, even though it was just the exterior (auto) wash and hand dry (That's all I got - not even the interior, as i can do THAT at home better than them - or at least I use better products)

We (still) live in an apt complex and car washing is not allowed...and I've been way too busy to take it to a DIY car wash...same reason (time) I can't do anything with a No-Rinse type of product either... will wait till we move and have our own place/garage to REALLY start washing/detailing by myself.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and run it through the auto wash, and then I can keep it clean using the Poor Boys' quick detailer I have...After all, when I took the Tbird to the Auto Wash (they hand dry the cars afterwards) I saw a MB CL55 AMG being run through it...it can't be that bad, huh? This auto wash is a one with where the car is run through big rubber stripes or whatever...not the huge "brush" like things...

mimalmo
02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
If you do use an automatic wash, stay away from the ones that touch the car with those dirty brushes and the ones that have a track that you drive into and it pulls your car through (they scuff wheels bigtime).

Automatic wash > leaving salt on your car.

Washburn
02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks - so what type of Auto car wash does that leave me with? (sorry I am not well versed in types)

mimalmo
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
The ones that uses sensors to determine length and width of your car and allow you to drive in and out on your own.

kayger12
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks - so what type of Auto car wash does that leave me with? (sorry I am not well versed in types)

Single bay brushless or touchless type where you drive in and the automated water jets move around the car while it's parked.

Also check out this thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?548-Winter-Washing-Options) if you haven't come across it yet.

az3579
02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Single bay brushless or touchless type where you drive in and the automated water jets move around the car while it's parked.

Also known as touchless car washes.
I hear bad things about the chemicals used though, something about it being damaging to paint over time...

Marcus-SanDiego
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
BP, that's why I haven't put my cars through those things. I'm worried about the harshness of the chemicals.

Alphatek45
02-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Say goodbye to any wax you may have applied :(

mimalmo
02-02-2011, 05:46 PM
BP, that's why I haven't put my cars through those things. I'm worried about the harshness of the chemicals.

Still, it won't be worse than leaving salt on the car for an extended period.

az3579
02-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Washburn,
Are you telling me they won't even allow something like Optimum No Rinse at your complex? How retarded is that? Are they afraid of their pavement getting a few drops of water on it? :shifty

Marcus-SanDiego
02-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Still, it won't be worse than leaving salt on the car for an extended period.

I'm sure you're correct. Have never had to worry about that, so it's not part of my thinking. But, yes, I would agree with that.

Mtnman
02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
wash, i understand. I manage complexes like yours. its typical to not allow car washing, even in condo complexes where you own your unit. buy a house with a nice garage, and get started!

az3579
02-03-2011, 02:25 AM
wash, i understand. I manage complexes like yours. its typical to not allow car washing, even in condo complexes where you own your unit. buy a house with a nice garage, and get started!

Could you please explain why?

danewilson77
02-03-2011, 05:47 AM
^Water usage.

az3579
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
^Water usage.

Ah. Well, if he can't spare 30 minutes to wash his car with something like ONR, then there's a problem.

danewilson77
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
No.....I was saying that's why apartment complexes may noy let you wash car....as water bill/utilities may be included in rent.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JohnnyGraphic
02-03-2011, 06:47 PM
If it were me, I would look for one of those coin operated car washes and at least pressure wash the car. With road salts etc, the undercarriage would be the dirtiest and would be the place I would spend the most time. Also, rinsing out all of the crevices, door jambs, etc. I wouldn't use the broom/wash thingies though. The bad grime comes from accumulated dirt in tough to see or reach areas.

Fortunately, I have a hand wash place right by my work. While they don't do as good a job as I would, they do a good enough job for me and keeps me from throwing my back out again and again.

Another thing you may want to do is buddy up with someone who DOES own a house and will let you use their garage/hose etc in exchange for some beer and pizza. You can get all of your microfiber towels, wash mitts etc. online.

Johnny

Johnmadd
02-03-2011, 06:50 PM

I don’t think the chemicals are any worse than normal auto store products, but the high pressure spray on the black trim is not good for sure. I also think the high force drying blowers may be bad for a car, I took my e30 through one to get the salt off and it sounded like my roof was collapsing or a tornado was moving over my car, that might weaken the integrity of the paint.

danewilson77
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
We need to hear from 2M Autobody on this.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I'll grab Dave.

Johnmadd
02-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Also the under carriage spray is a danger to electronics and air intake. If we're asking a "pro" I wanted to include this stuff too.

2M Auto Body
02-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Also known as touchless car washes.
I hear bad things about the chemicals used though, something about it being damaging to paint over time...

Not necessarily AZ, car wash chemicals are not typically bad for paint. As they are made for cars. If anything car wash companies buy concentrate soap/wax drums and water it down to get more out of it. (I only speak on this because I used to know someone who worked at a typical car wash spot yrs ago)

Washburn,
Are you telling me they won't even allow something like Optimum No Rinse at your complex? How retarded is that? Are they afraid of their pavement getting a few drops of water on it? :shifty

From my understanding, the reason they might not allow a DIY car wash spot in a complex is because you're officially your not supposed to have any water run off into the storm drain. At least in Cali your not supposed to have any water run off AT ALL! Its just that the city isn't going to hound every house hold. We've had the city come by the shop and inspect our facility making sure we have no water run off into the storm drain.

I don’t think the chemicals are any worse than normal auto store products, but the high pressure spray on the black trim is not good for sure. I also think the high force drying blowers may be bad for a car, I took my e30 through one to get the salt off and it sounded like my roof was collapsing or a tornado was moving over my car, that might weaken the integrity of the paint.

Might sound bad...but it isn't so bad for paint. Clear coat for cars is PRETTTTYYYYY STONG and holds up well. Esp OEM BMW stuff!

Also the under carriage spray is a danger to electronics and air intake. If we're asking a "pro" I wanted to include this stuff too.

Almost everything is well protected underneath the car. I couldn't imagine the undercarriage being any less protected. Imagine what would happen to our cars in any big rain storm? My car would have been EFFED during our huge cali storm a few weeks ago.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Dave, thanks for chiming in. I always figured that the stuff they used would strip the wax, which made me think it was pretty harsh.

danewilson77
02-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Dave, thanks for chiming in. I always figured that the stuff they used would strip the wax, which made me think it was pretty harsh.

Thanks Marcus.

Thanks Dave. Dave, can you elaborate on high pressure jet water and what it might do to Wax? Sealant? Clearcoat?

Additionally...brushwashes? What do you think of those. Just want your opinion to kinda wrap things up here. I think they are bad. Hell...If I can put a swirl mark in my car with a MF towel.....then those brushes can't be good.

Thanks again.

2M Auto Body
02-04-2011, 08:18 AM
I wasn't necessarily referring to wax/sealants. I was mainly talking about the integrity of just the clear coat.

Thanks Marcus.

Thanks Dave. Dave, can you elaborate on high pressure jet water and what it might do to Wax? Sealant? Clearcoat?

Additionally...brushwashes? What do you think of those. Just want your opinion to kinda wrap things up here. I think they are bad. Hell...If I can put a swirl mark in my car with a MF towel.....then those brushes can't be good.

Thanks again.

Dane, high pressure water is not too bad for wax/sealant and its definitely not bad for the clear coat. If high pressure water is left in the same position for a long period of time then possibly it can cause the wax/sealant to be stripped but shouldn't damage the clear coat. If anything, you'd want high pressure water to quickly and efficiently remove dirt/dust before any brush/microfiber cloth/etc. touches the car.

Car wash brushes are a different story, those can cause minor scratches in the clear coat and will more than likely strip wax/sealant. I say this because of the potential watered down soap that is possibly used in car washes. You're looking for excessive bubbles in your soap. Bubbles is what lifts the dirt from the car to safely wash down. Actually, wax/sealants are just a thin layer that sit over the clear coat to give it that shine and basically hide any minor swirl marks or light scratches that are in the clear coat.

bimmer848
02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
anything in excess is bad. the fact is if you have a DD that is getting hammered with salt and pickle juice and what not, just spraying it down will do little if nothing at all. you need to adjetate the dirt to remove it, not just move it. like Dave said, bubbles and what not. these will also act like a lubricant allowing a more aggresive mit/brush/giant flappy car wash thingy to move the dirt without too much damage. any time you rub anyhting on paint it is causing fine scratches. that why quick wax and such make the car look sooo much better. fills them all in, but it leaves no protection. these car washes are a nescessary evil in this weather. every spring i will clay/buff/polish my car anyway, so these little scratches will be handled. the wheels are anothe story. those drag along type are not awesome for your wheels. i run crap winters so i dont care. my 19's will never see one of these car washes. unless you pay to have it hand washed and dried, which can get very $$, you have to get this shit off somehow. i go to a very popular one locally which i know gets serviced regularly. it does a great job! also, they dry the car and those giant blowers cause no harm, they are great cause they help get rid of a lot of water that may otherwise freeze in these temps and cause issue. this is common using those stalls and not drying the car. if you can, run it through then take it home and chamois it dry(will not apply to those without a garage cause spray wax will get slushy on a cold car). do your jambs and then give her a quick spray wax. this will get you through til the nice weather and hand washing days. i go every two weeks or so. in total maybe 6 times a season and my cars are fine. however, they are white. black and dark cars will most certainly be affected the most. it will just be more work to get back in shape in spring. anytime you use a soap to wash the car you are breaking down the wax. i dont waste money on really expensive waxes. they last just as long as the less $$ stuff at the rate i wash my car. decent wax applied more often is just as good as expensive wax that you try to make last all summer. that aint gonna happen! it never looks as good as the day you do it. so long story short, i wouldnt sweat it. use a popular one that gets used a lot, as they change their rags/brushes and chemicals more often. dont do it too often, but as needed. get it detailed in the springtime and pretend winter was never here and never coming back. this advice applies only if you use your car as a DD in a winter climate and not a fancy showcar. if you live in San Diego, get your ass out to the curb and wash your car and stay far away from automatic car washes!!

ps: Just to add some legitimacy to my post, I professionaly detailed cars for 12 yrs. when i had access to the shops, i NEVER even thought of using auto washes. being removed from this for about 2 years and not having the access i used to, ive had to suck it up and learn to live with it. just felt i neede to say that!
Cheers!

danewilson77
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks to all for their very valuable input.

Washburn
02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for chiming in everyone, I am late in getting the car washed AND oil (8k on oil now) changed...work work work damn work!

Nivo
02-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I take my car through Ernies car wash. once i get to get my car washed one guy yells the level of wash then he says, "no brush".

if the car doesn't come out clean you go again free. I go through the car wash...

I am a car enthusiast, not a car collector.. :-)

Johnmadd
02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
I take my car through Ernies car wash. once i get to get my car washed one guy yells the level of wash then he says, "no brush".

if the car doesn't come out clean you go again free. I go through the car wash...

I am a car enthusiast, not a car collector.. :-)

I like this comment.

M0nk3y
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Dane, I run a 2800 PSI pressure washer. It's perfectly fine as long as you know how to properly use it.

danewilson77
02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Yup...I think its fine as long as your not too close....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk first guy dunked